Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Flabyo »

I still find it amusing that someone at Square USA looked at ff5 and went ‘nope, waaaaay too complex for Americans’.

The released FFT a few years later, which is FF5 on steroids.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

I absolutely adore FFV, but bounced off FFT pretty hard. After playing what felt like an hour I was only at the second battle, which was altogether too slow paced for me. Plus, the story left me confused from the word go, but I can see why people would like it.
Suits wrote: February 18th, 2020, 4:29 pm
Also, I got well into FF5(2). I only intended to have a quick poke around but the story grabbed me.
See, since you worded it like that now I'm curious whether you're referring to Final Fantasy 2, 4 or 5 ;-)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Mr Ixolite wrote: February 18th, 2020, 8:59 pm See, since you worded it like that now I'm curious whether you're referring to Final Fantasy 2, 4 or 5 ;-)
Sorry, I mean Final Fantasy 5.

**edit, I’m going nuts, I mean FF4, so North American FF2.

I got confused by it all somehow.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

FFT probably does have the most complex story of any FF game, I’ve heard it compared to Game of Thrones and that’s probably not far off. Lots of kings, lords, knights and priests with lots of names to remember.

The PSP version tightens the translation in many places which helps with the comprehension, but also adds a layer of floridity to it that some people don’t like.

Anyway, I don’t mean to turn every thread into discussing my all time favourite game, heh.

Ff5 though, first appearance of one of the series best pieces of music (and a chance to plug a YouTube series I like...)

Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: February 18th, 2020, 9:45 pm Anyway, I don’t mean to turn every thread into discussing my all time favourite game, heh.
Ha, cool.

Why do you call it FFT though ??
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

FFT is short for Final Fantasy Tactics, the game my avatar is from over there —>

It uses a job / skills system that is pretty much lifted from FF5 and expanded upon. A lot.

But you’re actually playing FF4 so the tangent was completely pointless :)
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Flabyo wrote: February 18th, 2020, 9:45 pm FFT probably does have the most complex story of any FF game, I’ve heard it compared to Game of Thrones and that’s probably not far off. Lots of kings, lords, knights and priests with lots of names to remember.

The PSP version tightens the translation in many places which helps with the comprehension, but also adds a layer of floridity to it that some people don’t like.
The flowery dialogue, naming and sheer number of factions/characters certainly didn't help, but it was also the game starting in media res (I think?), then going through a flashback and settling in another time period that threw me off. I didn't feel like I had any footing, I guess. But much like GoT, I assume things get clearer as you move along.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It does start with an opening tutorial that’s in media res, but after that it goes back to a few months before that point and the game runs in linear time for the rest of it (it eventually catches up to the point that the tutorial takes place in around the start of chapter 2).
Suits

Post by Suits »

So, started going out and about again recently and picked up a few bits and pieces that I've been after or recently got into.

Ridge Racer V - I'm keen on this after my very enjoyable spell with the PS1 launch game last month. I'll have to did out a dual shock 2 before I can really give this a whirl.

ICO - Never played it. The Limited Edition was in mates shop for pretty cheap so I grabbed it. I came close to picking this up years ago in Amsterdam with Michiel but he grabbed it before it :lol: .

Metal Gear Ac!d - Came with the damaged PSP I picked up at the same time. I know nothing about this game.

Exhaust Heat 2/F1-ROC2 - I really really enjoyed the first game, so I picked this up. I'm not digging it so far. They appear to have introduced new vehicle classes which is cool but they've messed with the physics too much and it feels an awful lot, (not in a good way) like F-Zero. They also seem to have ditched the real life tracks in turn for fewer number, fantasy tracks - I don't like this.

Final Fantasy VI - Lovely, I have this on the SFC (:lol:) and now the re-make on the PS1. The art in this one is proper cool and I'm currently playing FFIV on the SNES so I'm in a bit of a crush with the early series.

Aliens Infestation - I'd heard that this was a bit of a sleeper on the DS and I can see why. I had no idea it learned so heavily on the actual film and is full on licensed by 20th Centru Fox so has all the noises, sounds, weapons, planets and everything rad about the film in this game.

It's a sort of 2D MetroidVania style game where you explore the events after the films setting. What I like about it is that you have four characters that make up your squad and get you through the game on at a time. However, the game has perma-death, so if you loose a squad member that its, they're gone and you're a marine down.

Scattered around LV421 and the Salaco you bump into marines who have been either separated from their squad or are the last of their team and if you have space (up to four marines at once) they can join up your squad. Essentially an era life. Very clever I thought.

Looks very nice on the DSi-XL and seem pretty short, I put a few hours in the other night and my save says 40%, well worth a look if your a fan of MetroidVanias and Aliens.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ICO is a lovely game, has some design elements that feel a bit rough these days but there’s nothing else really like it. Even the sequels aren’t quite as uncomplicated and clear.

I vaguely remember that the ps1 release of ff6 has some really dumb loading pauses given the entire snes game should fit in the memory of the machine. But it was still the first time it actually got a release in europe. Which is baffling really.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Nice haul, Suits. Have been holding back recently as I'm saving my funds for my trip to Japan in April.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: March 7th, 2020, 12:53 pm I vaguely remember that the ps1 release of ff6 has some really dumb loading pauses given the entire snes game should fit in the memory of the machine. But it was still the first time it actually got a release in europe. Which is baffling really.
I find the whole release schedule process of all the FF games hard to follow to be honest :lol: .

Michiel K wrote: March 11th, 2020, 10:27 pm Have been holding back recently as I'm saving my funds for my trip to Japan in April.
Oh, rad.

Golden Axe 3 and Akumajo Dracula X please mate :lol: .

That'll be a wonderful trip mate, very very jealous.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Let's see if it's still possible with the coronavirus situation. Supposed to leave by the second week of April.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So out at a retro gaming night and made the Goldeneye final. A player rocked up with a modded game cube controller that worked with the n64. He then wins by an embarrassing high amount vs the other 3 of us. Am I being a sore loser here by being really really annoyed
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I guess if there are no rules about it...

Like, you get all sorts of controller choices in pro fighting game tournaments, like the guy who uses a modded PS1 digital pad.

Unless it was actually modded to offer superior capabilities somehow of course..!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Turns out he was also one of the organisers of the event.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Inquiry!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m reminded of a charity halo tournament we had at a guildford games industry night. All the entrance fees went to the charity and there was no prize other than bragging rights.

One studio I won’t name brought in ringers from a pro halo team they were friends with.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Also visited MEATliquor in Leeds which had an excellent retro selection with modded mini Nes, Snes, PlayStation Mini, Xbox, Dreamcast, PS3, N64 and 360.

Played some ISS98, Tekken 3, Resident Evil 3 and Power Stone.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Oh wow, Brighton’s branch didn’t have any games last time I was in there. I should check it out.