Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Suits »

Slightly amusing tale regards retro gaming but, I found a memory card in a GameCube game I snagged in a charity shop today.

It was a 251 card full of someones GameCube history, not a single block was left :lol: .

Looks like every Mario sports game and each Mario Party title was on there as 34 other games.

Dates ranging from the first entry which was Billy Hatcher on the 16th April 2002 right the way up to Mario Power Tennis on the 8th December 2010.

Seems like a very healthy lifespan indeed :lol: .

Strange Memory cards are always worth digging through just to see what sort of tales that can tell !
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Crikey!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...I wonder if someone's left it in the game inadvertently and is now missing it?
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 20th, 2018, 5:51 pm ...I wonder if someone's left it in the game inadvertently and is now missing it?
Ha, yeah, there might be :lol: .

I didn't see any of the other games that are on the memory card in the shop, so potential yeah. Also, even more damning is that fact there wasn't any save game data from game the card was actually in.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Shall we crowdfund the services of a private detective so as to not further contribute to the misery and suffering in the world? :P
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 20th, 2018, 6:47 pm Shall we crowdfund the services of a private detective so as to not further contribute to the misery and suffering in the world? :P
It's service the community has been crying out for for some time I feel.

IN.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: January 20th, 2018, 7:01 pm It's service the community has been crying out for for some time I feel.
Exactly! I think we're all long overdue for some biblical Justice. Not the Old Testament-style "lemme flood you guys real quick", but the fluffy New Testament "love thy neighbour" stuff. Win-win for everybody, isn't it? The crestfallen stranger gets his or her childhood back, we get a new hyper-emotional thread of effusive thanks to coo over, and the poor detective gets a day off from spawn-camping adulterers in his Fiat Punto.

I'm game if you are, mate! :P
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 20th, 2018, 7:17 pm I'm game if you are, mate! :P
You start in Germany and I'll begin in the East of England, then we'll meet in the middle somewhere.

A 'pincer' move if you will.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Are there any games with name entry screens? Check for Zelda - we may be able to at least name the poor fellow!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: January 21st, 2018, 1:42 am Are there any games with name entry screens? Check for Zelda - we may be able to at least name the poor fellow!
Great idea.

Lets do this.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Nailed it.

Thought I had it on Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, as the career skater was called 'Skater ty'.

Tyler or something.

Then realised that T & Y are both next to each other on the keyboard and bang in the middle, couple that with the generic 'skater' pre-filled entry and I thought it was a quick spam.

Continued my search, which was fruitless for a while. Mario Party 4 had no option for name entry, so that was a dead end, I wasn't going to bother with Mario Party 5 under the pretence that the save game naming would be the same but tried anyway while I watched the football play out.

Then boom, it was there, clear as mud. Confirmed.

Tyrone.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Great detective work! :P

What now? An ad in the paper maybe?
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 21st, 2018, 7:26 pm What now? An ad in the paper maybe?
Twitter 8-) .
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Clearly, I'm behind the times.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 21st, 2018, 8:23 pm ...Clearly, I'm behind the times.
Nothing will happen but after a week I'm wiping it and can hold my head up and say - I tried !!

:lol:
Craig

Post by Craig »

Hoping finding Tyrone’s name doesn’t make it harder to wipe it all!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 12:15 pm Hoping finding Tyrone’s name doesn’t make it harder to wipe it all!
A seconds consideration as I press A at most I think.

Good old Tyrone.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Fantastic detective work. Maybe @ Erykah Badu on Twitter? Last I heard she knows someone who has Tyrone's number.
Suits

Post by Suits »

After somewhat burning out over the last week playing Monster Hunter Worlds on the Xbox One, I've moved back to a more simpler time and the comfort of my beloved GameCube.

Unsure on whether you can really call it retro just yet, but I've been having a very joyous time the past few evenings with V-Rally 3.

I've kept it simple, left it on auto gears and just started a career in under less than about 30 seconds. An hour later, three days ago and I'm still playing. Satisfying and addicting.

It's V-Rally mode lets you start at the bottom of a rally driver career in the little FWD 1.6's and up to the standard poster child cars of the AWD boosted cars. There's also a hint of perhaps the old Group-B masters of old in a locked Bonus mode.

I've just finished the first season and have now earned the focus of the AWD cars and its suiters.

It has just enough management and interaction to pin together a slight story/career that make it a pleasure to spend time with and feel less like a simple stage by stage race.

The so called 'England' Event, with its stages named after Cardiff districts is a bit of a kick in the teeth but it does let me put the red dragon of Wales near the C pillar windows.

The GameCube controller feels wonderful in this instance, I've gone back to a weird pad as opposed to the Waevbird, as with the benefit of wireless, comes the sacrifice of no rumble feature. The analogue triggers work very well and give nice resistance when pumping the brake.

It looks OK I think, the car models look tight, the stages look decent, it runs like butter and sounds pretty decent on the stereo Bose component speakers I have sat either side of my PVM.

Where it does show its age is in the resolution and scenery depth, which at times can look a bit a misleading but that's honestly OK, as it's hardly an issue that spoils the gameplay too much. Oh and the character models look like trash, really awful.

It takes me back to the very old Network Q rally games you used to get on PC in the 90's. Playing those on a keyboard really felt special back in the day.

But most importantly, it's just fun to play, quick to pick up and fast to give satisfaction and the feeling of progress.

Like bubblegum for the fingers.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Can't really think of another place for this.

Here's a great article on Panzer Dragoon Saga's development and release.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/29/169 ... asterpiece