Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Suits wrote: June 11th, 2020, 10:23 am Been wanting to play this on my Saturn for a while now, but obviously I needed the controller and the bundle was of clear interest to me.

Needs a good clean and freshen up but it's all in good condition overall.

I managed to get it for a reasonable price too, so I'm happy and buzzing to see what its all about.
Can't believe I missed you posting this Suits! Great purchase!

One of my favourite games of all-time, and it looks like you've got a nice example of the 3D controller bundle there. The white pad with multicolour buttons is lovely and only released in Japan. I've always wanted one but have two black ones in perfect working order so it always felt like a bit of a luxury to buy a third!

Really hope you enjoy the game. It's all about getting in the flow and getting those links up as high as you can for the massive scores! The key is don't just finish the level when you're done destroying the Ideya cages - just keeping going round and racking up the links while making sure you get back round to the finish before the time runs out.

I could go on forever about this game so going to be quiet now before I embarrass myself...
Sinclair Gregstrum

Continuing the Saturn love - it's a big day for this collector!

After years of narrowly missing out on ebay auctions and watching prices sky rocket, I finally managed to win a copy of Deep Fear over the weekend! It arrived today, and holy shit am I excited!

Don't ask me how much I paid. Let's just say it was less than I've seen it go for many times and much less than some of the crazy 'buy it now' prices you see. Still not cheap mind, so I'm just not going to think about it and will never tell my wife!

This is the last ever game released for the Saturn in Europe at the end of June '98, and it never came out in the US. As such there are very few copies in circulation. It has never been released on any other platform other than the Saturn, and as Sega-developed exclusive for the system it's pretty unlikely to at this point. So overall Deep Fear has become a bit of a legend and is really sought after.

The game reviewed well on release and features creature designs by Yasushi Nirasawa and music from Kenji Kawai. It's basically a Resident Evil clone set in an underwater research facility and you play John Mayor, an ex-Navy Seal who.......I think you know where this is going!

Overall I'm one happy Saturn nerd today and can't wait to give this game a try!

Suits

Post by Suits »

Oh wow, yeah expensive game that.

Nothing quite like getting an expensive game you desire Is there 😎.

I’d love to play it but unless my Japanese gets better I won’t be playing it anytime soon.

Looking forward to hearing what you think about it and how it performs 👍🏽.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Suits wrote: June 17th, 2020, 3:09 pm Oh wow, yeah expensive game that.

Nothing quite like getting an expensive game you desire Is there 😎.

I’d love to play it but unless my Japanese gets better I won’t be playing it anytime soon.

Looking forward to hearing what you think about it and how it performs 👍🏽.
Yeah it's easily the most I have ever (and will ever!) spend on a game. It's just one I've really coveted for a very long time and saw an opportunity to pick up, so took a deep breath and went for it! If I end up really not liking it I'm pretty sure I'll get my money back anyway.

A lot of the other really high value Saturn stuff I already have but have owned for a long time either since their actual release or I picked up over the years before prices went nuts. There are rare and expensive games left that I don't have like Swag Man, Courier Crisis, and Three Dirty Dwarves, but I've always collected to play rather than collected just to own, so if I don't really want to play something (which I don't with any of those games), I'm not going to buy things for the sake of it.

Apparently the Japanese version of Deep Fear is semi-playable for English speakers as the voiced dialogue is all American actors so you can at least understand the plot. It's the menus and other written text for puzzles etc where I think some guess work and trial & error gets involved.

Now I just need to find the time to play the damn thing - have to finish Shenmue 3, then TLOU2 is going to hit my doorstep any day......
Suits

Post by Suits »

I'm looking into VGA CRT monitors for the Dreamcast.

FML
Sinclair Gregstrum

Suits wrote: June 18th, 2020, 10:57 am I'm looking into VGA CRT monitors for the Dreamcast.

FML
:lol:

Do it! I'd bloody love one of those, but while storing my game collections is relatively easy (I'm in the planning stages of converting part of a rather large built-in wardrobe into a games library!), finding a spot for a hulking great CRT of any description is a battle I'm not going to win. Certainly not with two young kids (and a third on the way...) that somehow have more stuff than most people collect in a lifetime!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: June 18th, 2020, 2:45 pm (and a third on the way...)
Congratulations! Though with two myself I am beyond exhausted at even contemplating how one could manage a third :lol: best of luck dude!
Sinclair Gregstrum

hazeredmist wrote: June 18th, 2020, 3:29 pm Congratulations! Though with two myself I am beyond exhausted at even contemplating how one could manage a third :lol: best of luck dude!
Thanks mate! Yeah I actually have no idea what the hell we're going to do with him when he arrives in October, but how bad can it be right... :shock:

The really crazy thing is we actually planned to have this third baby - it wasn't even an accident. Insanity is the only explanation.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

:lol:

You'll smash it mate!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s a shame that not every game on the DC supports the vga out adapter. It’s bloody fantastic in those games that do though. I’m not sure where I got my vga adapter from, it’s clearly a Japanese one so probably borrowed from a previous job and not given back when I left. I doubt anyone missed it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Fresh loot!

OutRun 2 - This one unhinged Berserk fan I know keeps raving about it, so I thought I might give it a shot.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - UK copy in mint condition, I'm not gonna say no to that.

Ikaruga (GC) - Doubt I'll play it much when I have the PS4 version, but it's nice to have. Plus, NTSC 60hz!

Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X (GC US version) - Now I finally have both EU and US versions of all the RE games on the GameCube. I've been looking for this one for so long!

Tomb Raider Collection - Why not?

Plus some brand new PS1 game cases to replace my old busted ones with. Looks so much better already! :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Those 360 Tomb Raider games were really good actually, I preferred them to the more recent reboot.
Sinclair Gregstrum

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 1st, 2020, 1:07 pm OutRun 2 - This one unhinged Berserk fan I know keeps raving about it, so I thought I might give it a shot.
Outrun 2 on Xbox is fantastic!

Still have my original copy but sadly it's not been made backwards compatible on Xbox One as of yet. With comments around a month ago suggesting they're going to press ahead with adding more titles again (they paused doing this around a year ago), then hopefully that might change in future.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There are issues around the expired Ferrari license, hence the XBLA version no longer being available.

I would love it if they managed to resolve this and get a comprehensive, definitive version up on contemporary platforms.
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: July 1st, 2020, 4:54 pm There are issues around the expired Ferrari license, hence the XBLA version no longer being available.

I would love it if they managed to resolve this and get a comprehensive, definitive version up on contemporary platforms.
Yeah it's a real shame.

Almost certainly the same reason behind why we've never had a version of the original Sega Rally re-released on any modern hardware due to licensing with Toyota and Lancia. An up-rezzed port of the Model 2 arcade original on Switch would make me a very happy human, especially after the incredible job M2 did with Virtua Racing (which features no licensed cars obviously!).
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

That's a great haul. I've been looking for PS1Blood Omen for sooooooo long! Not an easy game to come by.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Does anyone else here use protectors or sleeves for their beloved retro game collections?

I’m building a little library for mine at the moment (basically reconfiguring a big cupboard!) and that got me thinking about how best to keep everything in the best possible condition to avoid degradation and shelf wear over time (particularly for anything cardboard-based!).

As usual when my brain gets hooked on something like this I ended up going down an internet research rabbit hole, and I came up with a few solutions for the various formats I wanted to look after. In total I needed to consider this diverse bunch:
Spoiler: show
- Saturn PAL standard cases x 29
- Saturn PAL double boxes x 2
- Saturn PAL NiGHTS & 3D Controller box x 1
- Saturn NTSC-J cd cases x 18
- Saturn NTSC-J double cd cases x 2
- Saturn NTSC-J game & RAM cart boxes x 3
- Dreamcast PAL standard cases x 39
- Dreamcast PAL double cases x 2
- Dreamcast NTSC-US cd cases x 1
- Mega CD PAL double cd cases x 4
- PS1 PAL standard cases x 7
- PS1 PAL double cases x 1
- PS1 NTSC-J cd cases x 2
- PS1 NTSC-J double cd cases x 2
- PS1 NTSC-US cd cases x 1
- PS1 NTSC-US double cd cases x 2
Fortunately there’s quite a bit in there that worked out as common sizes with either standard single or double CD cases, so that saved some hassle. The bloody PAL region has to be difficult though doesn’t it, consistently choosing to have a bespoke box format across these consoles vs the NTSC regions (apart from the insanely massive Saturn US cases that I don’t have any of).

Long story short, I tracked down ebay sellers and websites that made bespoke protectors for the unique formats and found some good off-the-shelf solutions for the standard ones. And after my Dreamcast protectors arrived last week my collection is now completely under wraps, so to speak!

A few choice photos…

PAL Saturn standard cases & double boxes:

NTSC-J Saturn single cases w/spine cards & double cases w/spine cards:

PAL Dreamcast standard cases & double boxes:

NTSC-J PS1 single case w/spine card & NTSC-U double case:

The PAL Saturn & Dreamcast protectors I’m really happy with as they’re made from a nice robust plastic and fit like a glove. Especially delighted with the Saturn ones, as with the older releases having cardboard outers plus Panzer Dragoon Saga and Enemy Zero coming in cardboard boxes, it was these I was most worried about. Also the little plastic sleeves I got for the NTSC-J stuff work really nicely as you can have the spine cards on show and it basically makes them look like brand new games!

Anyway, this is obviously some seriously nerdy shit but I must say it scratched a real OCD itch that is incredibly satisfying! Everything looks great, feels great, and it’s nice that this valuable stuff (emotionally & monetarily!) is all wrapped up safe.

Are there any other game-protection obsessed folk out there, or am I out on my own fanatical limb here?

P.S. if anyone wants to know where I sourced the various of types and sizes, I’m happy to help!
Sinclair Gregstrum

This was definitely just a 'me' thing then! :lol: :roll:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

To be honest, I'm much more in admiration of some of the games you're showing off there, rather than the plastic thingies! :P

I could see myself being more interested if I would have a lot more cardboard boxed games (NES, SNES), but most of those I've got as carts only. Personally, I don't see the point for anything else.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Michiel K wrote: July 8th, 2020, 8:50 pm To be honest, I'm much more in admiration of some of the games you're showing off there, rather than the plastic thingies! :P

I could see myself being more interested if I would have a lot more cardboard boxed games (NES, SNES), but most of those I've got as carts only. Personally, I don't see the point for anything else.
That's fair :lol:

See I started off of a similar mind - "my cardboard stuff needs protecting!", and I wasn't that bothered about anything else. So really just was looking for something for my older PAL Saturn games with the cardboard outers (of which I have quite a few), PDS and Enemy Zero that are both worth quite a bit, and my NTSC-J games that come with the RAM cart (e.g. X-men vs Street Fighter).

But then you can buy these things in packs of 25, 50 and so on, and the cost of getting sleeves for all my Saturn games vs just the cardboard ones wasn't much more at all, so you think "screw it, might as well!".

And then of course you see they do ones for loads of other formats - "ooo they do Dreamcast ones! Well Dreamcast cases are really fragile, maybe I should...."

And then before you know it your whole collection is wrapped in plastic, like those crazy people who wrap their sofas to keep them looking brand new :shock: