Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Simonsloth »

I see where you are coming from but they’re advertising 2000 games at launch with the list being carefully curated. I doubt any of us have that big a collection of games of that era (maybe even brutal sports football).

The expo feedback has been good and It’s about 5-6 quid a month. It’ll never beat original hardware but that’s not the point. Both can co-exist.

I’m also quite possibly a hipster:)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Cool, let the people play the games.

Also, from a selfish perspective, if it frees up people to get rid of any physical carts they have - then that will have a positive effect on the second hand market in a few ways.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m going to sit quietly in the corner on my own getting excited about this as half my Amiga game disks don’t work and I’m hoping to see some of those games on it. If it lives up to its promises I would be surprised if I’m still on my own for long :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: April 17th, 2019, 9:48 am I’m going to sit quietly in the corner on my own getting excited about this as half my Amiga game disks don’t work and I’m hoping to see some of those games on it.
I know quite a few people that would flock to this sort of service, it’s great from an historic/preservation perspective also - like I said, let the people play the games !!

I don’t think you’ll be alone at all man. (As long as the service is decent).
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I did start reading but all them shmups have battered my attention span, honest. Can barely concentrate on anything for more than a couple of seconds unless it's spewing medals at me.
Craig

Post by Craig »

A lot of folk don’t want to sit at a PC to play games. They have an Xbox. If they can play a bunch of neat old games cheaply and easily, even if it’s just to give a quick nostalgia fix, this service let’s them do that. I think you’re way overthinking who this appeals to.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: April 17th, 2019, 1:51 pmIf it's just an "idiot tax" for people who can't work an emulator, putting the games behind a subscription fee doesn't seem like the right approach.
I think that's a bit dismissive of an entire generation who may know and have good memories of these games, but wouldn't even know what an emulator is, and if they did know, may have moral objections on partaking in what is in fact illegal.

You say you don't get the 'let them have their games' argument, but that's fine. You don't need to get it. If this isn't for you, it isn't for you. The more ways there are to play games the better, and every effort to document and make available gaming's history is a step in the right direction, regardless of how we feel about the method of delivery.

It's not something I'd subscribe to, but I'd definitely take the months trial if such a thing exists to see what it's like. It's certainly a convenient and hassle free way of accessing a huge library of games.

I have friends who torrent literally every piece of entertainment they consume, and can't understand why I subscribe to Netflix given I could get it for free. Now, I'm absolutely not adverse to stealing a few films and TV shows here and there, but Netflix is far more convenient.

Just as I will happily download ROMs for games I could absolutely purchase if I looked on eBay or trawled the second hand games stores, but a Netflix style subscription service, just like Google Stadia, offers a convenience you can't get elsewhere. I'm not saying it's something I'd necessarily use, but I can sure see the attraction.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I do agree with the fundamental point you make there, however much digging it takes to find it! I think you're right, I can't see this having much legs, but happy to see people trying out new ways of delivering content - however cynical their end game might be.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Might not be an appropriate time to post this but......

I've picked up a few games over the past few weeks, incidentally Phantasy Star 2 is actually my 1000th physical, pre 7th Generation game. So thats quite a personal milestone I suppose.

Firstly though, I've still been playing Castlevania: The New Generation getting a lot better and can progress a good way into the game until I start to struggle - although I've made a huge mistake.

The majority of Mega Drive(lets call it that) carts actually have a selection of up to three regional ROM's on their board.

It's the region of the console that will then read the corresponding version of the ROM on the cart.

So effectively, these carts are multi-region, you might just have to get clever with the cart shapes fitting your console.

My MK1 Mega Drive I've had modded to be able to switch what region the console reads carts in EU(PAL), US(NTSC) or JP(NTSC-JP).

This then allows you to run most Mega Drive games, borderless and at the correct speed.

But not for all games, sadly.

Late release games and some SEGA games that have been optimised for PAL regions(Streets of Rage 2) won't boot and will show a region lock screen.

Castlevania being a later run game and a KONAMI release (all my KONAMI games react the same) is region locked, meaning - I can only play it in its regions issue, PAL.

I was cool with this and was enjoying the game massively until I played a NTSC ROM the other week.

The extra gore and Bloodlines theme was cool, as was the difficulty too actually but overall the extra 17-18% speed was killer. It made the game feel so much quicker than the low figures my suggest. It just felt smoother and more fluid - it's killed a large chunk of enthusiasm for my version.

So I've been temped by the fruits of another.

Bubsy is well Bubsy and Phantasy Star 2 is a classic. It still looks really cool and once I get past the horrendous UI for battles I'm sure I can put some time into this. Both of these are complete but sadly the 110 page hint book is missing but all 6MEG's of the 1989 cart are there.

I picked this up as it was fiver, complete and probably one of the better Master System examples you'll see. I've never played it either so will be cool to try it out via my convertor.

Right, Star-Trek is mental, don't have any idea of how to play it, so it loads into some really basic, awful, flight simulator. So I may have to look this one up and see what its all about.

Micky Mouse however, is dope. It reminds me a lot of the Mario vs Donkey Kong on the same platform. It's a puzzle sort of game that requires you searching a castle for keys to move around the floors. It's neat, really neat. Nice little find this both GameBoy games are both sadly cart only. I even had to dip into my spare cases to give them a home.

Then, theres these tidy things. My Virtual, while it sits proudly on my desk in my office, it's a terrible console to use, it literary gives instant headaches. You really have to use it to see what I mean but it's nasty. That said some of the games are really good. I'm hoping to convince a contact of mine to attempt the RGB out mod for the Virtual Boy, so I can plug it into my PVM and use it that way.

In the mean time I won these on eBay for a really cheap price, all complete, all good condition.

I've also got into the habit of cleaning each new cart I receive so that I'm not passing anything nasty into any of consoles.

I use this, Isopropyl Alcohol, cotton buds and fibre-glass pen to clean off any oils, dirt or grime.

I've used this on many a problem cart and more often than not, as long as non of the contacts are badly damaged physically, they end up booting first time and working perfectly afterwards.

Splatterhouse 2 would often not load, crash or just generally not be reliable.

Cleaned, worked instantly afterwards.

Handy stuff to have about it seems.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

People give me a hard time for rubbing pre-owned cases with some basic nail polish remover, meanwhile Nick is busting out the cotton buds and security screwdriver.

I admire the dedication. 8-)
Craig

Post by Craig »

clippa wrote: April 17th, 2019, 8:28 pm
You can get emulators on almost anything nowadays and even the most zealous anti pc gamers all bought raspberry pi's and followed the foolproof retropie setup when they were fashionable.
Most people just buy their console and games for it. Raspberry Pi’s are popular on the internet, but to the average consumer they’re not going to bother. There’s clearly a market for an easy and cheap way to play old games, as these mini consoles sell as well as retro compilations and reissues on the consoles.

Emulation is easy. But you’re vastly overestimating the amount of users who are going to seek out how to put emulators on their consoles, or buy a retro pi. The zeitgeist of gaming discussion on the internet is only a small section of gaming at large.

EDIT: Just consider other streaming services.

Why does Netflix exist? Why does Spotify exist?

It’s even easier to pirate music than games. Just pop the name into YouTube and you’re done.

But these services offer a cheap and easy way to get the music and shows you want, where you want to play them. If those services have a place, why not this?

Netflix has its originals, but that came much later in the day.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Suits wrote: April 17th, 2019, 9:41 pm I use this, Isopropyl Alcohol, cotton buds and fibre-glass pen to clean off any oils, dirt or grime.
I have a bottle of the very same stuff. It's probably the best stuff to have around for cleaning controllers too. Whenever I pick up any pre-owned game from anywhere I always remove the paper cover then give both the disc and box a wipe over with this stuff (it amazes me at how dirty they can be sometimes) removing any sticker residue. Extremely low evaporation point and leaves nothing behind upon drying.

Gonna have to pick up one of those fibre-glass pens, looks like it could come in handy too
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I'm mildly optimistic about the intentions behind this whole Antstream thing, even though it's not for me personally. I think clippa has a point about the limitations to longterm success, but...

1. the people behind it seem sound and passionate (or it's just a very good promotional trailer);
2. they even adress the problem of lag in the trailer, so it seems to be a point of focus for them;
3. seeing how my own kids are drawn so much to older games, I'm a tiny bit excited about the young folk getting easy access to a lot of classic titles.
Suits

Post by Suits »

JaySevenZero wrote: April 18th, 2019, 7:34 am Gonna have to pick up one of those fibre-glass pens, looks like it could come in handy too
They’re handy man. Only a few quid from Amazon and they’re twist top so you can trim off the older worn, dirty tip and extract more fibres from inside the pen.

They allow you to be more liberal with more stubborn issues.

A lot of the stuff I get hold of has been sitting in lofts, in boxes in fields or generally ignored for years, so can be very grimy.

The only stuff I generally skip over is sun damaged stuff as I can’t do much with that at all.

Coupled with my Goo-Gone, slew of spare CR2525’s and a small soldering iron - I’m ready for all comers 😄😄.

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 17th, 2019, 9:52 pm People give me a hard time for rubbing pre-owned cases with some basic nail polish remover, meanwhile Nick is busting out the cotton buds and security screwdriver.
I love it.

It’s become part of the ritual. Going out with the lads, picking some stuff up, coming home, having a beer, putting something on like a video or podcast and cleaning them up before I play them.

Very satisfying 😎.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I'm all about that Isopropyl. Used it for the connectors on my Dreamcast's internal PSU as well, this week.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Michiel K wrote: April 18th, 2019, 9:45 am I'm all about that Isopropyl. Used it for the connectors on my Dreamcast's internal PSU as well, this week.
Isopropyl? Isopod. 8-)

Also, I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend a product called the 1-Up Card for cleaning carts. It's got the proper abrasive for cleaning contacts (IE, it'll take the crud off but not the gold/copper), and they're stupidly cheap and easy to use. I don't like using Q-Tips because they leave little fibres in the cart. No bueno.

Also, has anyone figured out a method for cleaning grime off cart labels? Specifically, Genesis labels (because they aren't laminated).
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

What sayeth this forum on clone consoles? I currently have a Retron 5, and I love it to bits, but the flawless fidelity of the Mega SG and Super NT, plus the impending Polymega which hasn't released yet (despite me first learning of it in 2013!)... I dunno what to do.

The Retron 5 is just a ROM dumper, granted, but will I see an improvement with either of the newer options? I know I want a Polymega because of the SCD/Turbo-Duo/Saturn/PS1 support... But at that point, should I not just buy the expansion modules and ditch the Retron?

I'm so utterly conflicted. There's so many options, and none of them are the best option.
Suits

Post by Suits »

clippa wrote: April 18th, 2019, 9:45 am Everytime I pealed a sticker off something, a quick wipe with that and it was good as new. Amazing stuff. I used to hate pushing all that goop into a blob with my thumb nail and then trying to smear the rest over the plastic, hoping it would just blend in somehow.
I use this for removing stickers, it’s a natural citrus substance, smells like lemons.

It’s pretty decent, is gentle to use on cardboard surfaces but isn’t too aggressive to remove the really nasty old stuff.

For an example, you can see it did a fairly decent job on Pac-Man, without harming the original box. Sadly the bottom sticker was too cheap and old to remove without taking the box with it.

With anything plastic you can be as liberal as you like with it and it’s very good.

Suits

Post by Suits »

Magical_Isopod wrote: April 18th, 2019, 9:51 am I don't like using Q-Tips because they leave little fibres in the cart. No bueno.
I’ve never had an issue with using Q-Tips, or ‘fibres’ being left in the cart restricting its use or functionality.

Generally, anything left behind by a damp Q-Tip is taken away with a soft cloth wipe.

It’s good to be careful but I honestly think that’s being a little too over cautious.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Suits wrote: April 18th, 2019, 12:45 pm
Magical_Isopod wrote: April 18th, 2019, 9:51 am I don't like using Q-Tips because they leave little fibres in the cart. No bueno.
I’ve never had an issue with using Q-Tips, or ‘fibres’ being left in the cart restricting its use or functionality.

Generally, anything left behind by a damp Q-Tip is taken away with a soft cloth wipe.

It’s good to be careful but I honestly think that’s being a little too over cautious.
It's less about functionality, and more about not liking little fluffs in the corners of my carts... I don't take my carts apart - although now that I think about it, I really should, sometimes you find cool stuff in there (like having some rental store's info sharpied on the board itself). I will say, however, that I own a copy of Shinobi III that had like... Some kind of green growing on the contacts. It wasn't copper corrosion either, it was some kind of like... Algae, I dunno. XD Q-Tip didn't do a damn thing to remove it; 1-Up card did. So I know empirically that the 1-Up Card is just the better option.

I also have one particularly nasty copy of Castlevania Bloodlines that's been shoddily glued together with what looks like wood epoxy... It meant I only paid like $40 compared to the $100 going rate, but still. The game *works* but it deserves a better restoration. Maybe I'll pick up some shite sports games from the Microplay tonight and get on replacing the shell. I do have all the proper repair keys and such.