Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Simonsloth »

Michiel K wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 9:20 pm Good to hear! You still get the regular flatscreen lag, but the OSSC doesn't introduce any additional, so that seems to work well for you.
I’ve found that it completely negates any lag at all or at least not anything noticeable.

Donkey Konga was near unplayable with the lag when played with component plugged directly into the TV. With the OSSC it seems perfect.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I think it’s to do with the way my flatscreen tries to process the signal when I plug it in directly whereas the HDMI signal it leaves alone.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 9:56 pm I think it’s to do with the way my flatscreen tries to process the signal when I plug it in directly whereas the HDMI signal it leaves alone.
Check to see if your TV has ‘Game Mode’ dude.

By switching the format of the port to that, it will turn off quite a lot of processing effects and may help even more 👍🏽.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I did this last night and worked a treat. Thanks for the tip!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Even if you don't have a game setting (my old telly did, new one doesn't) you can turn off all the post processing stuff like Mpeg smoothing and adaptive black depth and what not. Made a huge difference on mine. Just have to remember not to leave it in cinema mode after watching a film!
Suits

Post by Suits »

While on the subject of this, the Xbox One has a pretty decent TV calibration set-up, that I really hope comes across to the new platform next year.

It’s helped me out a few times set up a good base to start from, really really very handy.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My tv is nice enough to let you put different settings on each hdmi input, which is handy.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:22 am My tv is nice enough to let you put different settings on each hdmi input, which is handy.
Almost essential nowadays on new consumer sets I think.

With the PS4P and Xbox One X using HDCP 2.2, I found that using non-4K systems like the Switch on those 2.2 ports will over saturate and almost attempt to upscale non-4K stuff, making it look a bit odd.

Being able to set the ports to 2.0 & 2.2 individually is huge.

I run all my consoles through a Onkoyo 7.2 receiver which will split the 2.2 ports but I still run my Switch separately, directly into the panel, on a 2.0 port, then the audio back into the receiver via ARC 😄.

FML
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

There, some heartbreak for my fellow retro collectors to end the year in anguish:

LIFE IS CRUEL

:(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

All is impermanent, as the Buddhists say. No point in fighting that - you’ll lose.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

BUT there are at least newly produced spare parts and FPGA clone consoles. I try not to worry too much. :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Keeping the carts working is still ‘fun’ even when using an FPGA console, I’ve gotten quite good at opening up and cleaning Megadrive carts now.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

https://kotaku.com/a-programmer-lost-a- ... 1840684828

This is a cool story. A freeware DOS game some dude made as a kid and gave to his cousin (who lost it) somehow wound up in a shareware compilation discovered by a Twitch streamer - despite only one physical copy ever existing.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Original PlayStation advise wanted!

After tracking the project for years, and following much deliberation, I’ve pre-ordered a Polymega.

Quick bit of context - for those unfamiliar, Polymega is basically a high-end, region-free, modular retro console that plays the original physical games of a variety of disc-based systems out of the box, and cart-based systems using plug & play add-ons. There’s no firm release date yet although based on recent updates it’s not far away and probably looking like late Q1 2020.

They have missed projected dates already of course, and I had previously been pretty sceptical about the whole thing. However, at E3 this year John Linneman of this parish got his hands on pre-release hardware and came away very impressed (https://youtu.be/6p5UXKLniRQ). I’ve been hovering over the pre-order button ever since!

My primary motivation is to have my 50-strong Saturn collection easily accessible, all in one place, and guard against the eventual demise of my native hardware.

The secondary motivation however is to start small and sensible collections (initially at least!) for the other systems the Polymega supports out of the box, including PS1, Mega/Sega CD, TurboGrafx CD, and Neo Geo CD.

As a devoted Saturn kid there was so much that I missed on the PS1 that this is where I’m going to start, and I’d love some advise on reasonably priced (£50 max!) titles that are worth picking up.

I’ve crawled lots of ‘best ever’ and ‘hidden gems’ lists of course, but recommendations from the ever-knowledgeable forum crew would be greatly appreciated!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Some quick shouts of cool PS1 games that won't break the bank are WipEout 2097, the Oddworld games, Heart of Darkness and Skullmonkeys. See if you can get Alundra as well, for not too much money.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'd also really recommend G-Darius as one of my favourite discoveries from fiddling around with the PS Classic last summer. Top quality shmup with an interesting 'capture' mechanic where you turn enemies into weapon attachments for your ship. Very cool.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Some of these may cost more in PAL territories, so my pricing knowledge can really only extend to what I'd pay for them in Canada. But off-hand, some of the essentials I'd target...
- Final Fantasy VII, VIII and Tactics (each are like $10-30 max)
- Resident Evil 2 ($20)
- Mega Man Legends ($30-40) (Legends 2 is phenomenal, but pushing $100 here)
- The Raiden Project ($30)
- Metal Gear Solid ($30)

And I'd say Einhander is worth the $120 asking price for the soundtrack alone, but that's breaking the rules.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve got a spare loose PAL FFVII disc if anyone wants it.

Not that’s it’s too hard to get hold of, but hey.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 4:32 pm I’ve got a spare loose PAL FFVII disc if anyone wants it.

Not that’s it’s too hard to get hold of, but hey.
Haha, any disc specifically?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Michiel K wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 3:26 pm Some quick shouts of cool PS1 games that won't break the bank are WipEout 2097, the Oddworld games, Heart of Darkness and Skullmonkeys. See if you can get Alundra as well, for not too much money.
All cool, and I'm going to add:

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Silent Bomber (criminally overlooked! Absolutely brilliant game, one go and you'll be hooked)

Fear Effect (lovely style, similar but not similar to Resident Evil in gameplay mechanics)