Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Suits

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Suits » June 17th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Mildly linked I suppose but fun to type out and show anyway.

A member of the community reached out and asked if I’d take a look a few newly acquired items, with the idea that I could give them a freshen up and a bit of TLC.

A couple of GameBoy Advance carts (Final Fantasy Tactics and Zone of the Enders) and a Nintendo GameCube Wavebird controller.

Clearly, I was dead keen to get my screwdrivers out and take a look.

Firstly the games.

The boards and pins were actually in very condition. No signs of any corrosion, or physical damaged to either.

Although by the looks of things the Final Fantasy cart had once been stepped on I'd say, as the inside of the outer case has some white stress marks, but the board was untouched.

Both were cleaned thoroughly with Isopropanol, polishing clothes and a fibreglass pen.

I had some fresh batteries ready to be soldered in but neither game has the use or need for battery back-up due to the EEPROM memory used in the GBA carts game data can be saved to the memory.

The only games that require battery back-up are games that require in game clocks for things, or that use older RAM. Pokemon, Castlevanias, Warioland, etc...

I did what I could with the labels.

Etsy actually do very good replacement labels but didn't go for those, as I expected that the owner would prefer the original(even if bad) label to a replacement, as good as it would be - I'd be the same.

The Wavebird.

So, this was in pretty good condition too really. The sticks were still tight, and the buttons still had some punch.

The only real note of word was that there was quite a bit of dust, grime hair and what looked like Wotsit dust around the analogue stick bases on the board.

I took apart the whole pad, (apart from the detail on the board as it was really clean anyway - if you can, you don't really want to take apart things like that as they'll never go back quite as they were.)

Washed, cleaned and polished all of the plastics. They came up real nice.

I then gave the board, analogue bases and contacts a detailed clean with Isopropanol, a lot of grime and grease came off them.

I was going to change the rubbers for a good OEM replacement set that I have in my spares, but honesty, these were better than my spares, so I cleaned those and used those again - nice and punchy.

It was a similar story with the sticks, both were very good. I have a set of brand-new replacements, but they're not OEM. They are good, but not the same as OEM, so I stuck with originals. It's what I would have done if this was own unit.

Battery connectors, radio, lights, all cleaned too and tip top.

Both were in fairly good condition really. The carts, one more so than the other looked as if it had had a bit of a rough time cosmetically but other than that was very good.

The controller was great, I’d say a pretty low use unit, it just needed a damn good clean and responded well to it I think.

All were tested and checked over with instant boot ups and button input responses.

I only took a few photos of progress and didn’t think to take a photo of them as I sent them back home to their owner.

I hope the owner is happy with the work and knowledge that their possessions should now perform for perhaps a little longer as they age further.

If nothing more, they have had an excellent clean which will certainly protect them from any bit rot for a while longer and if used with new batteries should keep nasty corrosion away.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » June 17th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Honestly I love these posts you do Suits. Great stuff.

Suits

Post by Suits » June 17th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 4:47 pm
Honestly I love these posts you do Suits. Great stuff.
Cheers man :D .

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » July 1st, 2019, 9:33 pm

I’m going to dredge it up again but Antstream went live today and it’s pretty fantastic.
I’m sitting playing perfect versions of old classics. There are multiple places to play but I’m opting for Xbox one. It has a Netflix style library with a few hundred games already. I’ve treated myself to a bit of speedball, paradroid, paradroid 90 and Dizzy already. Absolutely phenomenal stuff.

Not for everyone clearly but for me it hits the spot perfectly rather than having to dig out the Amiga and resort to copious disc swapping and pray it works.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 2nd, 2019, 4:18 am

I am tempted but I'll have to wait for a potential console app unless I can run it via Chromecast or Fire Stick. After all the doubts in the build up, it sounds like they've nailed the performance side of things for the most part.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 2nd, 2019, 6:02 am

Anyway to play old games, (well), should be embraced.

The rigmarole of finding correct SCART cables and controllers is often a genuine barrier to entry - I get that completely.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 2nd, 2019, 6:11 am

In other news, the reason I was struggling to get my Master System copy of Choplifter to work on my Analogue Sg was because I’d ignored the label on the converter that said ‘front’.

Doh.

In other news, the Master System version of Dynamite Dux is probably the easiest home console game I’ve ever played. Shame it lacks the two player mode, it’s not a if the master system can’t do two player belt scrollers so I’m not really sure why. (I like Dynamite Dux, but it’s this weird anomaly in the SEGA catalogue where they’ve never done any decent ports of it themselves, I think the Amiga version is the closest you can get without firing up Mame)

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » July 2nd, 2019, 7:04 pm

Yeah, I played Dynamite Dux on the Amiga. Highly memorable game, with tons of weirdness.

Suits, I took a small risk and bought a SNES controller for 5 eurobucks at the charity shop. Predictably, only half the buttons are working, but I'll see if I can do something about it.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 2nd, 2019, 7:43 pm

Michiel K wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 7:04 pm
Suits, I took a small risk and bought a SNES controller for 5 eurobucks at the charity shop. Predictably, only half the buttons are working, but I'll see if I can do something about it.
Which means half the buttons are working !!

😄😄

Should be simple enough, unless these pads have had some serious physical damage and the traces are broken - then they’re normally pretty easy to fix.

Take the case and show us what you’ve got, might be simple to identify and fix 👍🏽.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » July 7th, 2019, 10:35 am

For absolutely no reason whatsoever I just bought a end of generation PsOne with attached screen.

Anyone got one of these and can report back on the screen quality? It comes with a charger that plugs into the lighter socket in the car so will play all those old discs I’ve got. Also I think I should be able to hook it up to a battery pack so could even use it on the go.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » July 7th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 10:35 am
For absolutely no reason whatsoever I just bought a end of generation PsOne with attached screen.

Anyone got one of these and can report back on the screen quality? It comes with a charger that plugs into the lighter socket in the car so will play all those old discs I’ve got. Also I think I should be able to hook it up to a battery pack so could even use it on the go.
Haha! I had completely forgotten about those! That was one last ditch effort to get more PS1 sold. You have to report back about how well it works these days!

Suits

Post by Suits » July 7th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Simonsloth wrote:

Ha, rad.

I’ve got a PS2 and a few GameCube ones that perform well considering how old the tech is. Screen aren’t the best but if you really do have to finish that game - then these will do it 😄.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » July 9th, 2019, 6:42 am

Suits wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 7:43 pm
Take the case and show us what you’ve got, might be simple to identify and fix 👍🏽.
I'll definitely do that when I get around to it!

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » July 10th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Suits wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 8:01 pm
Simonsloth wrote:

Ha, rad.

I’ve got a PS2 and a few GameCube ones that perform well considering how old the tech is. Screen aren’t the best but if you really do have to finish that game - then these will do it 😄.
It arrived today and it actually exceeds my wildest expectations. The sound and picture quality are superior to the CRT TV I hooked it up to for comparison. I’m also awaiting a usb to 7.5V adaptor which may allow me to play it on the go.
I went and excitedly looked through my massive collection of PSOne games and realised I didn’t have any desire to play any of them right now! Such a odd feeling.

Lightgun games don’t work which I expected but held out some distant hope they would.

Still it’s a nice bit of kit for when my mood changes and I can play it without the TV which is nice.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » July 10th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Anyone looking into getting a Polymega? The price seems prohibitively expensive although it looks like a nifty bit of kit.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 10th, 2019, 5:52 pm

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 10th, 2019, 6:02 pm

I don't think I'm the target audience for it considering the platforms it emulates but it does look like a very nice bit of kit indeed. Curious to know what Digital Foundry makes of it!

Suits

Post by Suits » July 10th, 2019, 6:23 pm

That Polymega is certainly drawing a good deal of the correct attention from what I've seen and read about it.

But for as long as I have a PVM CRT, these sort of FGPA and other extremely accessible and convenient systems will always be second choice to using original hardware on a CRT. Just ask my dusty Super NT.

But for the vast majority of people with game collections, this is an extremely enticing proposition I'm sure.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » July 10th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Thanks Leon. I watched the video and I’m now sold on the idea. I particularly like the idea of a storefront and the fact there is a HDTV light gun compatible with the system makes my mouth water!

It’s like the antithesis of the Sony PlayStation Classic Mini. My vast collection is usable on the system and I can add to it physically and potentially digitally. I’m interested to see how it handles 3+ players.

My finger is hovering over the preorder button. It launches the week before my birthday too!