Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
hazeredmist

Re: Retro gaming

Post by hazeredmist » July 31st, 2019, 8:15 am

Visually the rubbers looked OK, they all still popped back up, but with a bit of stickiness on the A button which affects the feel greatly and the sound the button pop makes is significantly louder / annoying compared to the others. In many cases you read online about this device, it develops into the button occasionally not popping back up immediately, or worse. Kills a controller stone dead, obviously. The quality of the rubber is clearly not great, it's so common.

You're right about feel being essential. A good test is playing say a Mario game, holding down the run button with the end of your thumb, and the A button with the inside bit of your thumb. The feel of the pop is SO important here. Suggested fixes are to swap the buttons / dpad rubbers, but they're plasters, not true fixes. The best fix here is using an Xbox dpad rubber, which this time I finally had the balls to do. You have to cut it up to make it fit. But it is so worth it. The device is getting rarer now, never came out in the UK and Nvidia have dropped it. Butchering is the only way!

Suits

Post by Suits » August 1st, 2019, 9:25 am

hazeredmist wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 8:15 am
......playing say a Mario game, holding down the run button with the end of your thumb, and the A button with the inside bit of your thumb....
My wife, who isn’t a really gamer at all but insists on playing Mario 3, Animal Crossing and Picross regularly.... was blown away when I explained that technique to her recently.

She’s been playing single button single thumb style since the 90’s and how she managed to get all the way through Mario 3 not using that technique is incredible.

Ray

Post by Ray » August 4th, 2019, 7:38 am

Suits wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 5:46 pm
Mole Mania

So I've been playing a bit of Mole Mania on the GameBoy recently. …
I played it too (on 3DS, would have preferred it on a cart/GBA but got it from eShop in the end) and it is pretty good!

Burrowing through the ground is indeed great fun! Admittedly it doesn't add that much to the game but it fits the theme well and it does activate the brain a bit when you have to predict where will you end up and so on.

The levels are well designed and the game's overall tone is quite humorous (although it does involve a kidnapping of a family and life / death situation), so it's very pleasant to play. It's also very reasonably priced (Jp eShop at least) – highly recommended for people who like puzzles!

I haven't finished it yet but am planning to go back to it as soon as I'm done with Catrap (also highly recommended).

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 4th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Suits wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 9:25 am
hazeredmist wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 8:15 am
......playing say a Mario game, holding down the run button with the end of your thumb, and the A button with the inside bit of your thumb....
My wife, who isn’t a really gamer at all but insists on playing Mario 3, Animal Crossing and Picross regularly.... was blown away when I explained that technique to her recently.

She’s been playing single button single thumb style since the 90’s and how she managed to get all the way through Mario 3 not using that technique is incredible.
Bizarre! It's just a default thing isn't it, play 2D Mario, permanently hold sprint!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » August 8th, 2019, 1:35 pm

So the PC Engine Mini that’s coming out early next year looks like it might be essential, if they don’t stuff the emulation.

The games list is *epic*.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » August 8th, 2019, 2:00 pm

It’s M2. They won’t stuff the emulation.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 8th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Bizarre they're including Snatcher.... in Japanese.

What's the point of that? It's a great game. If you can understand it! There's already an English version on Mega CD, maybe they don't own the rights to the translation or something? Just seems completely pointless including it on the European release, though.

Suits

Post by Suits » August 12th, 2019, 10:33 am

It's taken me pretty much 25 years but I have finally beaten Castlevania Adventure on the GameBoy.

This was a game I borrowed from my mate in my streets Dad, back when I was single figures in years and was impressed by its adult theme and art.

I picked up a cart a while ago but have never really managed to get past the final part of the second level (it's a four level game).

It's laggy as Hell and has rather bad controls, which can prove very fiddly later on.

For those that aren't aware it's a pretty neat action platform on the GameBoy that has platforming, chase levels, boss fights and four directional screen adventure.

Anyway, since the Castlevania Collection that realised a few months back and with the addition of save states, I have finally beaten Adventure.

I do feel a dirty for a few seconds using save states but having now played through the game I can honestly say I'd never be able to beat this on the cart.

Level 3 is hard but level 4 and the final multi stage fight with Dracula would take many, many lives to learn the pattern and come out victorious.

Still very fun though and ultimately very pleasing to see the nice open ending and credits roll.

Then, a few weeks ago the opportunity presented itself to pick up a very nice complete copy of Super Mario Advance 3:Yoshi's Island on the GBA.

I have an odd relationship with this game in the terms of that, again, I've never finished it.

I'm a massive (like many) fan of Super Mario Land, however when this came out I had moved on to other things and had the Playstation in my sights, so it slipped me by.

I had played it a number of times and got rather far, I've just never managed to finish it off.

The closest I've come is a few years ago on my 1-Chip Super Famicom and JP cart.

Also, Yoshi's Island, uses the newer Super-FX2 chip in its cart, which has for a while made it very hard to emulate, or rather a lot of work to get a single game up and running.

This seemed like an obvious pick up, as I now have all of the Super Mario Advance games (I just need one box, SMA2) and due to the fact it's on a portable the accessibility of it will make it much easier to pick up and flop on the sofa with.

It plays well on the GBA and adds a few bonus levels to the game.

I'm two worlds in and still appreciate the faster pace and level design and music to this then the more recent slower, cake walk games.

Much more challenging and personally superior in many many ways to the current Yoshi games.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » August 12th, 2019, 4:18 pm

So, I'm not planning on this anytime soon, but the X-Box C&R and this thread have me interested in Mame and what goes into making a Mame cabinet. Anyone have any good guides to recommend? I was looking at this...
https://toddmoore.com/arcade/

Any better suggestions?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 12th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Speak to Joshihatsumitsu on here, he's made more than one, I believe.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » August 16th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Suits, is this you and Michiel spreading your CRT gospel?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... knows-why/

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » August 16th, 2019, 6:46 pm

^^^^
Haha!

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » August 16th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Love it :D

Suits

Post by Suits » August 16th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Chopper wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 5:34 pm
Suits, is this you and Michiel spreading your CRT gospel?
Downer - BUSTED !!!

Lololololol

I saw this in the r/crtgaming thread a few days ago.

It’s cool man, it’s jokes, but I understand that the homeowners are known fans and enthusiasts of the hardware.

The work that’s being done in terms of getting old analogue systems looking good on modern panels is excellent - it gets better by the month.

BUT, nothing comes close to how good these old tubes display RGB signal.

They are dying out, they’re breaking and the parts and knowledge to repair them is fading too.

I consider myself lucky in the regard that I had the opportunity to pick up a top level CRT (PVM) before they became extremely sort after and desired.

I met a dude around the back of White City BBC in London 5+ years ago and paid £200 then, for a 20” Sony PVM.

The fuzz, pop and static on these are incredible and there’s no technology in existence that can yet replicate the glow and charge that a CRT delivers.

If anyone ever wants to relive or see what these look like in the modern era of panels and liquid displays - let me know, I’d be so pleased to show them first hand how these older analogue consoles can look and perform.

It won’t be long and they’ll all be gone 😩.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » August 17th, 2019, 10:08 am

Making me tear up here, Suits.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » August 17th, 2019, 10:18 am

:lol:

I’m visiting my parents this weekend and there’s a 30” Trinitron in the front room. I just measured it and it’s around 12 cubic feet (3x2x2)

Suits

Post by Suits » August 17th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Fcuking BEAST.

Ask it if it’s seeing anyone.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » August 17th, 2019, 6:57 pm

:lol:
Suits wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:15 pm
Fcuking BEAST.

Ask it if it’s seeing anyone.

Suits

Post by Suits » August 28th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Not really been picking up too much recently, its been summer, I've been on holiday and the opportunity hasn't taken me.

But this is what I picked up last week from various places.

Couple of Sega games.

I don't actually have the Revenge of Shinobi, even though it's a massive childhood game of mine that looks stunning and sounds incredible.

Well now I have it.

Cart, Instructions, Box all in very good condition as it goes, especially once I give it a good clean. Certainly for £12 in CEX.

These I spotted by a re-seller at a Car-Boot-Sale. they were part of a Master System, bundle that was up for sale but he agreed to separate these out for me.

R-Type is rad, pretty decent port actually, has the manual but needs a new box.

Then TransBot is something you just need if you have a Master System because the box art is dope. Again a bit scruffy but is complete.

These should come up lovely once they are given some TLC.

The pair for £10.

Then theres the usual Gameboy haul which I love too pick up at any chance I can.

These are from various CEX's, car boots, sofas, friends and bundles I pick up.

Sadly most are swaps but of the four I need here it brings me to 150 Gameboy games, although only 40 are boxed.

These will all be cleaned and treated as well, also, I have quite a decent amount of good spare cases now, so these will all be housed and loved.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » August 28th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Transbot is terrible. One of the worst games on the System.

But you probably know that already, hehe.