Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Suits

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Suits » September 28th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Go on then, I'll bump this...

So, I've been pretty housebound for the last three weeks as I've hurt my knee but I was out and loose today with the wife and the boy 8-) .

Didn't go far but I popped down to see my friend Aly that has a retro shop(The Retro Hunter)in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex.

I had some swaps and spares that I amassed over time and Aly kindly sorted me out and allowed me to swap my doubles for some tasty newbie treats I'd not played before.

Minus, Solar Striker & Gargoyles Quest that I had picked up previously from a retro game shop in Tooting (London) below are the games I'm giving a usual, thorough deep-clean and will be contently adding them to my Game Boy collection.

Look at these, they are beautiful.

Besides the obvious names of most of these games, I'm not familiar with the Game Boy versions of them so it's all very exciting cleaning these up, researching them and giving a them a play on the sofa with my Game Boy Colour Light.

Catrap looks cool and is made by the same Developer as the another Game Boy oddity I like Boomers Revenge, who is a Japanese Developer called Asmik Ace. Boomer and this game are both single screen puzzlers.

I'm under no real illusion that most of these won't last longer than 15 minutes play but that's cool, I don't mind that, it's fun and I enjoy padding out my Game Boy library and experience.

Also, in case anyones panicking - don't worry I have plenty of official clean Nintendo cartridge cases all prept and ready for these.

Aly also has a large collection of spare boxes, cases, manuals, posters, inlays, everything. It's wonderful. Like a giant crate of exciting papers.

He's helped me out many many times in the past turning loose carts, or missing manuals into complete sets.

Today he gave me this, it's compete without the cart but this is a very expensive game to get hold of, so now, I'm no longer looking or a complete version and can now just look for a loose cart. Excellent. I really want to play this.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 28th, 2019, 5:55 pm

OoE is probably the best of the non-Sorrow Igavanias. Hope you can find a cart!

Suits

Post by Suits » September 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 5:55 pm
OoE is probably the best of the non-Sorrow Igavanias. Hope you can find a cart!
See, I've heard its the weakest of the DS games.

I enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow incredibly - it blew me away. Wonderful.

I'm kind of saving Portrait of Ruin for the Christmas break, I think. I love a good Adventure Explorer for Christmas and this may be it this year.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 28th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Suits wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm
See, I've heard its the weakest of the DS games.
I don't know about that. I would probably rate Order of Ecclesia above Portrait of Ruin and Harmony of Dissonance, personally. Not the biggest fan of Symphony of the Night so I might even rate it above that.

The Sorrow duology remains untouchable, however. :D

OoE is definitely an acquired taste with a lot of unique features. See for yourself!

PS: Can't comment on Bloodstained for now.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » October 30th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I'm going to RetroGameCon (Syracuse, NY) this Saturday, so I'm setting up a shopping list (hopefully more than window shopping!)
http://www.retrogamecon.com/

PS1 -
X-Men Mutant Academy 2
Valkyrie Profile (gonna need a new memory card, actually)

PS2 -
Shadow Hearts
X-Men Next Dimension (don't know why I ever got rid of this)
XGIII: Extreme G Racing (don't know how I ever missed this game)
Ico (or I'll just play the port on the PS3 store)
Frequency
Amplitude
Xenosaga 2
Xenosaga 3
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Batman Vengeance
Hulk (the movie adaptation)
Spider-Man 2

PS3
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
A DJ Hero control deck

Gamecube
Baten Kaitos
Skies of Arcadia
Timesplitters 2 (I never finished the campaign mode)
Eternal Darkness
Viewtiful Joe
Pikmin
Super Monkey Ball (maybe)

ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso » October 31st, 2019, 8:50 pm

Happy hunting!

On Timesplitters 2, campaign wasn't really the meat of that game, so if you played a lot of Arcade League and multiplayer, I'd say you got most of what you can out of it. I'd guess copies are fairly cheap though.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » November 1st, 2019, 2:45 pm

ColinAlonso wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 8:50 pm
Happy hunting!

On Timesplitters 2, campaign wasn't really the meat of that game, so if you played a lot of Arcade League and multiplayer, I'd say you got most of what you can out of it. I'd guess copies are fairly cheap though.
I played all three games and their multiplayer quite a bit. But, two is the only one I never finished the story mode! I have an unchecked box in my brain and I gotta fix it!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 1st, 2019, 4:09 pm

If anyone fancies participating in a weekly Retro Game Challenge: viewtopic.php?f=3&p=78062#p78062

I'll update it as long as there's interest here! Fresh game each week, could be any genre...

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » November 4th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Not the biggest haul in the world and I didn't find even half of what I was looking for (no one had a DJ Hero deck!) but had a lot of fun. Haven't played any of these games!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » November 4th, 2019, 3:14 pm

The Dark Alliance games are great fun. I keep meaning to dig those out of the depths of my storage boxes and play them again.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 4th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Can't comment about the others, but Baten Kaitos & Viewtiful Joe are :thumbsup:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 4th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Viewtiful Joe is one of the best 2D action games ever made, I'm amazed they abandoned the series. Its ripe for a third game or at the very least current gen re-releases, I say.

Did you ever play the DS version, ksub? It was also great.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 4th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 4:27 pm
Did you ever play the DS version, ksub? It was also great.
I have not! I'm not particularly fond of playing fast-paced action games on a handheld in general, anyway. Games like these require a big screen and a proper controller for me.

And also, despite me praising VJ, I should probably point out that I haven't even finished the first game, let alone the second! I love them but I just hit one too many difficulty spikes and gave up when I was playing it along with the show a few years ago.

But it's an excellent grab for any collection, that's for sure.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 4th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Same here, played the first one for hours and hours but never got past a particular boss. I really ought to give it another crack!

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » November 16th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Just picked up my first pro crt monitor. It's a 20 inch 90's grade 1 broadcast reference monitor, seems like it's in great condition too.
Excited to hook it up to my old consoles and see what all the fuss is about.
I'll post some pics when I've got it up and running if anyone's interested and even if you're not I'll do it anyway! Got to show off my new toy somewhere.

Suits

Post by Suits » November 16th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Excellent.

I have a Sony PVM-20M4E and use it for everything up to and including my Wii.

It’s stunning, nothing beats a CRT for most old consoles.

What will you be using and how are you hooking it up ??

What CRT is it anyway - I’ve not seen one like that before.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » November 16th, 2019, 1:31 pm

It's a Cromatech CM151 monitor, little known brand that made professional broadcast equipment in the 80s/90s. It's roughly equivalent in specs to a high end Sony PVM or BVM from the same era.
I've a friend who works for the BBC that pulled it out if one of their editing suites for me.
I'll be using it mainly for 8/16/32 bit consoles but it's got a full suite of (BNC) RGB and component hook ups so it should happily take whatever I want to throw on it.
I do have a larger Trinitron consumer set which I may still prefer for 6th gen consoles but for anything 240p it'll become my screen of choice

Suits

Post by Suits » November 16th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Ha, yeah, I got mine in 2014 from a dude at White City who worked at Sky/BBC and “acquired” few of these when they went all digital 😄.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » November 16th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Suits wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 1:43 pm
Ha, yeah, I got mine in 2014 from a dude at White City who worked at Sky/BBC and “acquired” few of these when they went all digital 😄.
It's all about who you know! This guy is also still in contact with people who used to service these things too so if I run into any problems I can't fix I've got a technician on hand.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » November 16th, 2019, 7:23 pm

BaileyBoy wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Just picked up my first pro crt monitor. It's a 20 inch 90's grade 1 broadcast reference monitor, seems like it's in great condition too.
Excited to hook it up to my old consoles and see what all the fuss is about.
I'll post some pics when I've got it up and running if anyone's interested and even if you're not I'll do it anyway! Got to show off my new toy somewhere.
Excellent, looking forward to those pics!