Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Simonsloth

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Simonsloth » December 11th, 2019, 11:17 am

Quick question.

I’m thinking of buying an OSSC to play my old consoles on my flatscreen but I wondered how rhythm action games fared using it e.g guitar hero, rhythm heaven series, donkey konga etc.

Any feedback as a google search hasn’t thrown up much info.

Suits

Post by Suits » December 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm

The only sort of knowledge I have is that people who care about this sort of stuff really rate OSSC’s like the Framemeister for matters such as yours.

I don’t think I’ve heard any serious negativity surrounding processing lag etc...

There was a production issue with the FM last I heard though - I think they were stopping production due to the development of a series 2 version.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » December 12th, 2019, 9:37 pm

OSSC boasts nil-to-negligable lag over Framemeister.

From the Videogameperfection website:
Unlike other scalers, such as the XRGB Mini, the OSSC works on individual scanlines rather than a frame at a time, that means there’s no input lag whatsoever (well, a few nanoseconds if you really want to be precise).
Reviews and tests seem to back that up.

I got one for streaming purposes, not to connect my older consoles to my flatscreen and I haven't tried it out yet, either.

Suits

Post by Suits » December 14th, 2019, 9:45 am

It's taken me a few years but I finally have myself a nice copy od Aria of Sorrow.

This will for sure be my Christmas Game Boy game this year - really can't wait to start this, been wanting to play of for some time now.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » December 14th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Suits wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 9:45 am
It's taken me a few years but I finally have myself a nice copy od Aria of Sorrow.

This will for sure be my Christmas Game Boy game this year - really can't wait to start this, been wanting to play of for some time now.

It's wonderful. Enjoy!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » December 14th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Yeah I played it earlier this year and had a blast.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » December 21st, 2019, 6:43 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 11:17 am
Quick question.

I’m thinking of buying an OSSC to play my old consoles on my flatscreen but I wondered how rhythm action games fared using it e.g guitar hero, rhythm heaven series, donkey konga etc.

Any feedback as a google search hasn’t thrown up much info.
After one Brewdog too many I have bought myself one of these just now and will be giving Donkey Konga a go. I’ll feed back when it arrives tomorrow. What says Christmas more than Bongos?

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » December 22nd, 2019, 8:43 pm

So I tried both Donkey Konga games on my original wii which has the GameCube bits and pieces on the side.

It plays perfectly and looks better than it ever did on my CRT. Tried beat the beat rhythm heaven/paradise and again the timing is spot on and it looks brilliant!

Very impressed. So far I’ve tried my ps1, ps2 and wii on it using component and RGB scart inputs. Only issue still to resolve are light gun games which still need the CRT.

Fingers crossed re: the sinden light gun

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » December 22nd, 2019, 9:20 pm

Good to hear! You still get the regular flatscreen lag, but the OSSC doesn't introduce any additional, so that seems to work well for you.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » December 22nd, 2019, 9:52 pm

Michiel K wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 9:20 pm
Good to hear! You still get the regular flatscreen lag, but the OSSC doesn't introduce any additional, so that seems to work well for you.
I’ve found that it completely negates any lag at all or at least not anything noticeable.

Donkey Konga was near unplayable with the lag when played with component plugged directly into the TV. With the OSSC it seems perfect.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » December 22nd, 2019, 9:56 pm

I think it’s to do with the way my flatscreen tries to process the signal when I plug it in directly whereas the HDMI signal it leaves alone.

Suits

Post by Suits » December 23rd, 2019, 9:43 am

Simonsloth wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 9:56 pm
I think it’s to do with the way my flatscreen tries to process the signal when I plug it in directly whereas the HDMI signal it leaves alone.
Check to see if your TV has ‘Game Mode’ dude.

By switching the format of the port to that, it will turn off quite a lot of processing effects and may help even more 👍🏽.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » December 23rd, 2019, 10:57 am

I did this last night and worked a treat. Thanks for the tip!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » December 23rd, 2019, 1:49 pm

Even if you don't have a game setting (my old telly did, new one doesn't) you can turn off all the post processing stuff like Mpeg smoothing and adaptive black depth and what not. Made a huge difference on mine. Just have to remember not to leave it in cinema mode after watching a film!

Suits

Post by Suits » December 23rd, 2019, 3:05 pm

While on the subject of this, the Xbox One has a pretty decent TV calibration set-up, that I really hope comes across to the new platform next year.

It’s helped me out a few times set up a good base to start from, really really very handy.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » December 24th, 2019, 10:22 am

My tv is nice enough to let you put different settings on each hdmi input, which is handy.

Suits

Post by Suits » December 24th, 2019, 11:11 am

Flabyo wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:22 am
My tv is nice enough to let you put different settings on each hdmi input, which is handy.
Almost essential nowadays on new consumer sets I think.

With the PS4P and Xbox One X using HDCP 2.2, I found that using non-4K systems like the Switch on those 2.2 ports will over saturate and almost attempt to upscale non-4K stuff, making it look a bit odd.

Being able to set the ports to 2.0 & 2.2 individually is huge.

I run all my consoles through a Onkoyo 7.2 receiver which will split the 2.2 ports but I still run my Switch separately, directly into the panel, on a 2.0 port, then the audio back into the receiver via ARC 😄.

FML

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » December 26th, 2019, 10:55 am

There, some heartbreak for my fellow retro collectors to end the year in anguish:

LIFE IS CRUEL

:(

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » December 26th, 2019, 3:05 pm

All is impermanent, as the Buddhists say. No point in fighting that - you’ll lose.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » December 27th, 2019, 8:47 am

BUT there are at least newly produced spare parts and FPGA clone consoles. I try not to worry too much. :)