All things Metroid

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Super Metroid

Post by Stanshall »

Edit: Half asleep rambling.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I have the N3DS version, put a good few hours into that and was enjoying it quite a bit.

It was after that, I decided to move to a SNES version.

I dread to think what it's like in the later part of the game. I for one feel like having to input the controls on that, as opposed to my SNES control pad would have tipped me over the edge.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I feel your pain. Completed it myself for the first time a year or so ago and had similar issues. Still a game years ahead of its time and dripping with atmosphere but had I not had the ability to save my progress regularly on the Wii U VC port, I'd have given up. Man, that wall jump...
Craig

Post by Craig »

I never really got on with the spin jump or the wall jump either. There's obviously a consistent way to do so as speed runners have it down pat, but it doesn't feel intuitive.

The stumbling block many have with the bridge you have to run over seems like an odd oversight. If they had simply made it an item in the room just before, it would have solved loads of problems.

I got stuck towards the end -
Spoiler: show
After you get the super bombs you have to bomb a glass tube. I don't really think this was telegraphed well enough. Maybe I'm being thick, but when I found out it was less of an "oh! Of course!" And more "...you can do that? Sure I guess."
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote: The stumbling block many have with the bridge you have to run over seems like an odd oversight. If they had simply made it an item in the room just before, it would have solved loads of problems.

I got stuck towards the end -
Spoiler: show
After you get the super bombs you have to bomb a glass tube. I don't really think this was telegraphed well enough. Maybe I'm being thick, but when I found out it was less of an "oh! Of course!" And more "...you can do that? Sure I guess."
Yeah, as I mentioned in the other thread, the crumbling bridge got me for a bit. While I knew the solution was a sprint/dash ability I was stumped. Looked up the controls and was like - "ahhhhhh..."

I know exactly the bit you got stuck on. That was one of those moments that I lucked through I think, I wasn't even looking for it but as I was there, I sort of had an epiphany and tried it, as I was I knew it would work, lol. Lucky though.

Also, something I didn't mention in the original post, was how I loved the last few moments of the game in the final area and the ending. Really Sci-Fy, loved it, kept me guessing and surprised me.

Good stuff.
Suits

Post by Suits »

seansthomas wrote:Still a game years ahead of its time and dripping with atmosphere but had I not had the ability to save my progress regularly on the Wii U VC port, I'd have given up. Man, that wall jump...
Yeah, that's a good point about the saves.

Because I knew I didn't have that option, I sort of based my sessions from save room to save room, ultimately I don't feel like I needed it but agree it would have perhaps made things more tolerable in terms of traversing areas.

I agree, it was ahead of its time I think. It would have seemed that way to a 10-year old me anyway.
Suits

Re: All things Metroid

Post by Suits »

Oh, what a shame, looks like this has been emalgamaged into another "All Things....." thread with the unique AM2R thread. Thankfully this isn't as big as the Street Fighter or Zelda ones.

Oh well C&R must pay the server fees by threads on the board.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Suits wrote:Oh, what a shame, looks like this has been emalgamaged into another "All Things....." thread with the unique AM2R thread. Thankfully this isn't as big as the Street Fighter or Zelda ones.

Oh well C&R must pay the server fees by threads on the board.
Not at all, it just makes sense to me to keep related conversations together...

Typically a game such as AM2R gets discussed by a couple of people for two or three posts before the thread gets buried. This is even the case with older - if more famous - titles such as Super, so I like the idea that people might get involved in the conversation more if a thread covers a particular series or franchise.

However if you and anyone else has strong feelings on the matter and good reasons why I shouldn't pursue this model, it's a conversation I'm happy to have.
:)
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: Not at all, it just makes sense to me to keep related conversations together...
Yes, that does make sense.

However distinctively different games I think benifit from their own threads.

Personally I find it harder to find specific game related content, or conversation when these sort of mega threads exist. Having to trawl through various versions of games I've perhaps not played to find something I'm interested in I don't see necessery.

It's cool, it's just a personal preference that I found I had when I was looking for specific Z:LttP discussion a while back :) .
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Righto, I have taken your feedback on board and summarily disregarded it.
;)

Jus' kidding - I'll have a think about it!

Any more input on this welcome, perhaps in this thread:
http://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=323
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Some new artwork to Samus Returns came out recently:

Looks pretty cool if you ask me!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I saw those too 8-) .

I already have the original GameBoy cart but I've managed to pre-order myself a copy of that pretty beefy looking special edition when it comes out in September.

I can remember giving the original a few hours many many many moons ago but I think it was too much for me and I left it behind.

Looking forward to this coming out :) .

Who've I got to snog to get a digital version on the Switch then ??
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah, I've preordered the Special Edition as well. Really looking forward to it, even though I'm not a huge fan of MercurySteam's current résumé...
Suits wrote: July 29th, 2017, 9:20 pm Who've I got to snog to get a digital version on the Switch then ??
Hey, I learned yet another british slang term!

I knew this thread would deliver.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Okay, currently playing Super Metroid on my N3DS, but not yet finished (last power-up I picked up was the Gravity Suit, so that should give you some idea of where I'm at). Not the first time I've played it (thanks to emulation), but first attempt to give it a complete play through.

First Metroid I've played was Metroid 2 on my original Gameboy - definitely didn't finish it, but I have got vague memories of a "sticky" ball power-up that allowed for rolling up walls - could be wrong. I still own that cart so I'll have to revisit at some time. 'Tis been a few years.

And one of the many reasons that I'm hanging onto my Wii U is because I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy - again, haven't even attempted it yet, mostly because digital titles are easy to forget about, but it's on the pile.

Also, my NES mini has Metroid, which surprise, surprise... yet to play! On the to-do list.

But Super Metroid impressions - really enjoying it. It is definitely a game that "gives you enough rope", so to speak. I tend to play my handhelds while on the exercise bike, and I have noticed that my cycling speed goes way down when I'm focusing on landing on small platforms! I do have to concentrate at those moments.

After I got the X-ray scope, it occurred to me that this power-up is like a much-earlier, 2D Batman Arkham Asylum-detective vision. Except that, unlike Batman, I don't find myself using it all the time - just when it feels needed.

But yeah, have not finished it yet. Already don't like the wall jump, that much I'm sure of!
Craig

Post by Craig »

My advice about the first Metroid? Play it on an emulator with save states.

It still holds up fairly well for the most part, but there is a fundamental flaw in how the game treats death. When you respawn, you start with 30 health regardless of how many life tanks you have and your missiles do not replenish. So when you die (which I found is pretty easy to do) you have to find a good place to farm enemies for health. There are certain spots that make this easier, but enemies do not reliably give health nor missiles, and sometimes you can make a mistake and lose health while farming, so it takes a good five minutes to stock up.

This is especially tedious if you die against a boss, because then you have to spend five minutes doing a dull menial task before you can try again.

If you use an emulator you can make a save state just after you've stocked up, so if you die and make no further progress, you can revert back. I don't think you'll miss out on the core experience, just save yourself a bit of time standing in place shooting, jumping and occasionally grabbing a health power up.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The official and legal versions available to buy for a few quid/bucks on Wii U, 3DS and NES Classic Mini all support this method too, we should point out.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Time to out myself as a godless heathen, then. My advice about the first Metroid? Skip it and play Zero Mission instead. One of the only two remakes (the other one being REmake) that are so good, they render the original borderline obsolete, in my outrageous opinion.
Craig

Post by Craig »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 6:23 am The official and legal versions available to buy for a few quid/bucks on Wii U, 3DS and NES Classic Mini all support this method too, we should point out.
Excellent!

I love Zero Mission and much prefer it to the original, but for me it feels so different that if you're interested in diving into the series roots, it's still pretty important.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Man, that wall jump and double jump. Ruined the later part of the game for me, to the point I just wanted it finished.

Yeah, very good point about the save states and losing all your missiles. A good few times, in fact every time I failed to beat a boss straight off the bat I had to go find an area to farm, although I honestly thought that that was why there is the inclusion of the tubes that just spawn enemies over and over again for no real reason were for.

There's a few around the map, most are within a quick double jump :| of a boss too if I recall but yeah, save states would make that easier - although it didn't personally bother too much really.

I love that game and hate that game, not in equal measures, I love it more than I dislike it but man did I nearly put it down a few times because of the controls in those latter collection parts. There was a section where you had to jump to a swing point, then double jump to another swing point, then double jump to a ledge where you would be rewarded with something. Twice I turned it off and was furious about there being, what appeared no consistency in the controls scheme. I even started switching out SNES pads to see if it would help.

But then there's the music and artwork and I'd get pulled in again by it.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm playing through Prime at the moment on my Gamecube and this, so far, feels to invoke much of the atmosphere but less of the fist clenching controls.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I am totally save-scumming (as the "hip" kids would say) with these titles!

If I could successfully wall jump to the first platform, I would do a save, and then for the next, and the next... I feel no guilt either. The control for that is unnecessarily complicated - simply having the option to press jump once you touch the wall would have made it better.

The NES mini does have those save-states, and you bet I will be using them! If I was twenty years younger, then sure, I'd go for the "pure" experience. But I'm an old man now, and I get sleepy around 9:30pm on a weekday. :oops:

And I did download Zero Mission through the Wii U VC. Once again, being digital, unless I had my Wii U on, I'd completely forget I had it. :roll: First world problems I guess.