Your questions about The Talos Principle

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Tleprie

Your questions about The Talos Principle

Post by Tleprie »

Hello there!

This week I finished playing through Croteam's The Talos Principle and its expansion, Road To Gehenna.
I really enjoyed the game's story and puzzles and felt compelled to reach out to the devs for a potential mini interview like I did with the devs of Jamestown earlier this year. Before emailing them, I wanted to come here and see if anyone had any questions they'd like included.
I've been reading and watching past interviews with them and want to avoid the commonly asked questions. This being said, ask whatever comes to mind, I'll see if it has already been answered thoroughly and if it has then I'll link to that answer here.

I have no idea if I'll be able to get an interview with them, but am hopeful. I'll probably send out the email asking them on Thursday.

P.S. I really enjoyed conducting the Jamestown interview, so if anyone has other developers/games they'd like to try to organize an interview with, I'd love to collaborate.
Tleprie

Re: Your questions about The Talos Principle

Post by Tleprie »

I suppose I should include the questions I currently have:
  • The game features ideas from Greek, Egyptian, and Christian religions and philosophy.
    What other sources did you draw inspiration from? Why did you choose these for source material? Was there anything you wish you could have included?
  • The story is a driving factor of the game, yet remains almost completely separate from the gameplay.
    Is this separation of story and gameplay important to you as developers?
  • All of the game's devices and mechanics fit together very well. What was the process like to determine if a mechanic could work in the game?
    Were there any enemies/devices/mechanics that didn't make the cut?
  • Following the thread of the last question, the game's expansion, Road To Gehenna contains puzzles that are much more challenging, and sometimes require less intuitive solutions.
    Was the process of designing these levels any different from the main game?
I'm still thinking over the wording and content of these questions, so if anyone has suggestions for improvements or changes, I'd love to hear them.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think I played this for about 20 minutes, couldn't make head nor tale of it and gave up! When it was free on PS+. Is it worth sticking with then?

EDIT : nope - I'm thinking of Ether One. Sorry!
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

I played a bit of Ether One as well when it was free. Didn't make it too far because I think there was a lot of reading at the start, and I wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

I do really recommend The Talos Principle if you get the chance, especially if you enjoy puzzle games.