Perplexing Peripheral Purchases

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Perplexing Peripheral Purchases

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Flabyo wrote:Did anyone have any of the weird PS1 pads that Namco put out?

I know some people absolutely swore by the NegCon in the days before the Dual Analogue controller appeared.

But the JogCon really wasn't much of a thing...
The last time I saw those controllers, especially the NegCon, would have been back in April in Japan, sold unboxed, as is, in Superpotato. It's certainly eye catching design wise. Perhaps why I have a bazaar affection for gaming peripherals.

I do have many gaming-magazine-ad memories of screen enlarger devices for portable gaming, especially the Handy Boy (http://www.pressthebuttons.com/2013/05/ ... e-max.html) for the Gameboy. Never owned it, but wow... I mean, wow. I'm so grateful there's an XL version of the 3DS in my collection, so much better for my old-man eyes! :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

Check this bad boy out.

This leaflet was in a Super Famicom Street Fighter 2 Turbo game I bought.

Looks nuts.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I remember it. I did not buy one.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Think I had a go on that Namco twisty controller once when playing WipEout. Recall it being pretty awesome...
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

if you compare all these pads with the n64 one, which do you think a non gamer would pick as not a real game pad :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I know which I'd rather use! Never liked the N64 pad (although they did come back strong with the Gamecube one).
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Flabyo wrote:I think the reason we had them around was someone was adding support for them to Rollcage (which had analogue steering in the codebase because it was also on PC and we supported mouse and steering wheels on that).
Interesting. :)
Joshihatsumitsu

Suits wrote:Check this bad boy out.

This leaflet was in a Super Famicom Street Fighter 2 Turbo game I bought.

Looks nuts.

One of the joys of acquiring secondhand items is the advertising and ephemera that comes packed in. It is such a snapshot of the time, of ideas that may or may not have paid off.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Looks like a Wheel of Fortune pad :lol: .

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Is that the spinner from 'game of life'? That can't be real... can it?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ha, that's it, Game of Life, not Wheel of Fortune.

Not sure man, it look real in terms of quality. I saw it on a collectors Twitter feed last night and grabbed it for here.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Was just browsing threads to see what people have been chatting about as I've been away for a while. Love this one!

My most elaborate peripheral purchase?

Oh yes. I own the Steel Battalion controller! That's not my actual one. That's in my old bedroom at my Mum's house (bless her for not chucking it out). Chances of it ever getting used again? Absolutely zero.

Really should sell that...

Anyone fancy a Steel Battalion controller? It's in good nick!
Joshihatsumitsu

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: April 26th, 2017, 12:11 pmAnyone fancy a Steel Battalion controller? It's in good nick!
The child in me says "I wanna get that just for the sake of it"!

The adult in me says "don't be daft"!

Maybe it's time to eBay that beautiful little niche object... :(
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: April 26th, 2017, 11:30 pmMaybe it's time to eBay that beautiful little niche object... :(
Beautiful niche object - absolutely!

Little - not so much :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bet there are drivers online though to use it on PC. Imagine driving a GTA V tank around using that bad boy. Or a flight sim. Bet you could still use it for something.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: October 13th, 2016, 11:57 am Did anyone have any of the weird PS1 pads that Namco put out?

But the JogCon really wasn't much of a thing...
I messed around with one of these today after seeing one come up for cheap on eBay.

It was a little dusty but was essentially brand new from what I could tell.

The force feedback on the wheel is surprisingly strong.

I'm using it for playing RR4 which is cool.

The natively supports it, so when you go into the button config, it knows you're using JogCong and allows you to configure elements of it.

Sadly, it's not fully customisable, so the gears are flipped and on odd buttons(for me anyway).

So I've left it in automatic gears and I'm just flopping around in my GTO with my JogCon.

But anyway, just look how stunning this thing looks....

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That so cool. I never had a go on one of these. I did enjoy the old neGcon though back in the day. My mate had one and even though I was much better on the D-pad, it was a really fun thing to use.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: May 16th, 2020, 7:43 pm I did enjoy the old neGcon though back in the day. My mate had one and even though I was much better on the D-pad, it was a really fun thing to use.
Sooon.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Just in case anyone was wondering (I'm sure they weren't) but I very much enjoyed my time with RR4 and the JogCon controller.

It takes some getting used to but after a bit of fine tuning it was bloody brilliant fun and very much impacted my enjoyment with the game.

A few times I picked the controller up and held it like a N64 controller, by the middle wheel :lol: .

The game also lets you calibrate the centre position of the wheel, which to my comfort had the thumb indent at 9 o'clock.

This I found let me place my thumb in the bowl, then used my other thumb on the outside of the wheel at 3 o'clock to rotate the wheel.

You then accelerate with either R button and brake with either L button.

This gave a very natural feeling control method that soon becomes reliable and fun.

You can also set the steering angles so that you're not snapping your thumbs trying to reach the steering locks while cornering - I found the default 35 degrees perfect.

Now, the whole thing about the JogCon is the force feedback provided by the motor in the controller that simulates hydraulic steering.

The controller config has three settings. Off, 1 and 2.

2 is strong enough to dislocate you're thumb and a little too strong as it tends to break your thumb free from the bowl or the outer wheel, so I plated the game using the 1 setting which is fine, but if you find yourself going too hot into a corner and trying to put opposite lock on at about 120MPH then it will break free - very good.

I managed to finished the game and place 1st in the Championship on normal setting without too much trouble.

Not only is this a fun way to enjoy the game but one that adds to the enjoyment I feel, if you get the chance, give it a go.

Recommended.