Perplexing Peripheral Purchases

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Perplexing Peripheral Purchases

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Apologises if this forum topic already exists (and if it does, please point me to it!). With the recent release of the PSVR, this seemed an appropriate enquiry...

My question I put forward to the C&A community is this: what are some of the more perplexing, odd, misfit gaming peripherals that you still own, and what on earth swayed you to purchase/acquire them/it, and subsequently hang onto it?

My personal example: the Nintendo Superscope for the SNES. I somehow convinced my parents to buy it for me (birthday/Christmas gift) back in the early to mid 90's.

The appeal: it's a goddamn bazooka-shaped lightgun! Of course teenaged me wanted that! Plus reading that T2: The Arcade Game was going to be released on the SNES... just made sense to my gaming magazine adolescent self. An arcade lightgun experience at home with one of the biggest blockbuster movies of all time (especially at the time)? Awesome!

In retrospect, it was all bit rubbish. I still own my Superscope, complete in original box, on my shelf at home. And my SNES copy of T2: The Arcade Game, again, complete in original packaging. And it catches my eye occasionally, bring back those odd gaming memories, with a cumbersome, 6 AA battery, bazooka peripheral, reminding me that no matter how much I learn, and how much smarter I get, I can still be a bit dumb. :roll:
AndrewBrown

Re: Perplexing Peripheral Purchases

Post by AndrewBrown »

I own like five Amiibo and I don't know why.

*flees from torches and pitchforks*
Joshihatsumitsu

AndrewBrown wrote:I own like five Amiibo and I don't know why.

*flees from torches and pitchforks*
Before you flee completely (may have to join you, because I have a few myself), which ones?
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Link, which I bought at the series launch out of morbid curiosity.
Wolf Link, which I got with the special edition of Twilight Princess HD.
Ganondorf, which I bought so I could do the Quad Damage Challenge on Twilight Princess HD. Notably the only Amiibo I purchased with any intention in mind.
Inkling Girl, which I bought on impulse with Splatoon.
Mewtwo, which was a Secret Santa gift.
And a Yarn Yoshi, got with Yoshi's Woolly World, which I haven't opened for fear it will get all dusty and grimy.
Joshihatsumitsu

Yarn Yoshi is a delight, it must be said.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

More in the spirit of the topic, I own a Wii Zapper and have rarely used it. Even when I'm playing lightgun games on Wii I prefer to play freehanded.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Loads of people on here have amiibo, why in heaven would there possibly be torches and pitchforks?
Maybe on other forums or social media, I don't know. This is Cane and Rinse, home to incredibly passionate and also incredibly friendly videogamers.
:)
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

ratsoalbion wrote:Loads of people on here have amiibo, why in heaven would there possibly be torches and pitchforks?
Maybe on other forums or social media. This is Cane and Rinse, home to incredibly passionate but also incredibly friendly videogamers.
:)
Torches and Pitchforks because I was disparaging Amiibo. I'm well aware how beloved they are.

For some reason I've forgotten my voluminous plastic instruments for various Bands of Rock and Heroes of Guitar until just now. Most shameful of all, I have four sets of Donkey Konga controllers.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Mine isn't really a perplexing peripheral (I think most people own it), but I always hated the Mario Kart Wii plastic racing wheel. Whenever my family wanted to play, they all wanted to use the wheels and they would get mad if I tried to play it with a controller.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

gallo_pinto wrote:Mine isn't really a perplexing peripheral (I think most people own it), but I always hated the Mario Kart Wii plastic racing wheel. Whenever my family wanted to play, they all wanted to use the wheels and they would get mad if I tried to play it with a controller.
I own four wheels. When I'm playing MK8 by myself I use the Pro Controller, but I'm generally of the opinion the game is more fun as a "party game" using the wheels.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ha, again Andrew I just can't get into your head. What's shameful about Donkey Konga controllers?

I realise you are being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I only have two sets and so the only shame is that I don't have more!
:D :P

I think you need to shake off this guilt and self-consciousness, man. Were you raised as a Catholic by any chance?
:twisted:
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

My family is Catholic but they did a pretty rubbish job "raising" me as Catholic. From an early age I was bribed to go to Church with a trip to a matinee movie afterwards... which we had to leave partway through service to get to on time. I wouldn't describe myself as "lapsed" because I was never really into it anyway. Once I was old enough to assert my own will over dogma, I washed my hands of it more-or-less outright. That is probably where I get my evasive and self-effacing style from, though, and I still carry some baggage like prefacing statements with "God!" or something similar.

Actually, the real reason I own four Bongo controllers is I wanted to learn how to do this, but then the Rock Band series came out and I never got around to returning to Donkey Konga.
Joshihatsumitsu

That's what I love about this community: group therapy! :lol:

There was a time myself where there was a bit of that "guilt", partly because of finances, partly because of negative mainstream media attitudes towards gaming (broad strokes), partly because I am getting older, etc, etc. But the best piece of advice regarding these sort of purchases was "if it brings you joy, then it's never a waste of money".

Fortunately as you get older you care less about how others perceive you. Me and my many Amiibo agree, especially my Mega-Yarn Yoshi, plus the green, pink and blue regular Yoshis! Even my sister, who does not care for gaming, loves those Amiibos!
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I'm actually thirty, I don't think my coping mechanism is ever going away if it hasn't by now. I'm actually a lot better than I used to be, where I would refuse to talk about my gaming habits... at all. Certain members of my family are still of the opinion that I'm a giant child, still waiting for me to "grow out" of my "hobby," but you know what, @$@$# them.
Joshihatsumitsu

My dad often says to me "as long as you cover all your expenses, how you spend your money your business". Parents will be parents, and sometimes they get better at accepting your hobbies with age! He still doesn't get it, neither does my mum, but they both understand that gaming makes me happy (even if they personally think it's a waste of time, etc).

So I empathise, and only 30? Goodness me! I apologise for the following cliched condescending phrase but... still so young! :o
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I'm going bald.
Joshihatsumitsu

Easy... Jason Statham, balding, awesome guy. Paul Scheer, balding, cool guy.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I can't pull off the balding dude look like they can. I was Shaggy from Scooby Doo growing up.
Joshihatsumitsu

Hmmm... well, the point is, if gaming is bringing joy into your life than it is a very, very positive thing, regardless of the naysayers.

Personally speaking, years and years ago, I was diagnosed with depression. It took a lot of time to turn things around: gaming definitely helped/helps, exercise, eating well, being around people who were much more positive influence, and all the other, in hindsight, obvious things. I know depression is something that isn't cured, rather it's something that is managed. Gaming for me is on of many things that make life soooooo much better, and I value it greatly. Depression is always something that's ultimately a part of my identity, and I've personally had to grow and accept that. It took a lot of work.

Anyhow, getting way off topic for this particular post! But I thought I'd share that.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I owned a Game.com once.