All things Red Dead

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: All things Red Dead

Post by ratsoalbion »

Stanshall wrote:Am I just a miserable get or is the title 'Red Dead Redemption 2' a really blatant and depressing indictment of how little faith exists in the videogame consumer?
I would have preferred Red Dead Something Cool and Interesting Beginning With R, but I'm sure that Rockstar did their market intelligence analysis before they plumped for this underwhelming monicker.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I hope it has helicopters.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm disappointed in the title choice as well. In fact, it was the very first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the announcement. Red Dead Revolution? Red Dead Retribution? Red Dead Rivalry? Red Dead Rock'n'Rolla?

Edit: In any case, I hope it's as good as the first one. My favorite R* game.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Goddamn I'm excited.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

KSubzero1000 wrote:Red Dead Revolution? Red Dead Retribution?
Either of those would have been great!

So...I have a confession to make...I never completed the first Redemption :oops:

In fact I didn't just not complete it - I think I played maybe an hour and dropped out for some reason never to return (it was so long ago I can't remember why). I have kept hold of it as I always meant to go back one day and was delighted when it became backwards compatible on Xbox One to keep that dream alive.

Maybe this will be the catalyst to go through it before no.2!

Has anyone recently played the first game? How does it hold up 6+ years on?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It's not a new thing. You add the sequel number to the 'successful' one that has the most mind share with the general public.

The Star Wars games did it ("Dark Forces: begat "Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight" begat "Jedi Knight 2")

And the Assassin's Creed games have doing some sort of version of it with their numbers that makes no flipping sense at all (1, 2, something, something, something, 3, 4, something, something, something)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Naughty Dog should really have called Uncharted 4 'Uncharted 2:2' given how much more praise Uncharted 2 got than Uncharted 3. I'm not totally serious with my little moan but it does make me shake my head a bit. If they would credit the consumer with a tiny bit of intelligence, that would be quite nice.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: Has anyone recently played the first game? How does it hold up 6+ years on?
I played through it again last year; it holds up very well indeed. It has a famously dull middle act (out of three) but i enjoyed that better than the first time around, maybe because I knew to power through it.

But super impressed with the story and cinematography (and gameplay to a slightly lesser extent). It's definitely a game to finish.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Stanshall wrote:Naughty Dog should really have called Uncharted 4 'Uncharted 2:2' given how much more praise Uncharted 2 got than Uncharted 3. I'm not totally serious with my little moan but it does make me shake my head a bit. If they would credit the consumer with a tiny bit of intelligence, that would be quite nice.
:lol:
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

But didn't Rockstar change the title to Redemption in order to simply separate it from the previous game and put their own stamp on it since Revolver started development under Angel Studios before they were bought out and became Rockstar San Diego?

In which case, it kinda makes sense as to why they'd stick with Redemption
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sounds like a Red Dead Retcon to me! :D

Hehe I'll admit I was being a bit of a grump, still sore at returning my PSVR. Woe is me. Looking forward to this, whatever the name!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It felt to me like Redemption was the right word to use for the Marston story. Will there be any redemption in this one? Although to be fair a lot of story types feature an element of it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Good god I hope all these 'news' stories slow their pace after the initial hype wears down! I'm not sure I can cope with 12 months of 'what we want from RDR2' or "RDR2 might possibly contain...'

It was quite interesting to see the first couple that were written before E3 even came round, but it's been total overkill today!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I am excited, but it's a loooong way off and there's plenty to occupy my time until then.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Mighty purdy. Not much else to say.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Yeah, I wasn't expecting any story beats or anything as they did exactly the same kinda trailer for GTAV back in 2012 - just something to show of the scenery and atmosphere. They'll do the single player and multiplayer trailers a month or two prior to the game actually being released.

Regardless, this was pretty much on that 'must have' list from the moment they made it official!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Same. Looked gorgeous. Can't wait.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

Oh Rockstar certainly know how to tease and hype us up over a long period of time, I'm not sure the internet is going to be able to keep it's shit together over the next 14 months!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd say all signs point to a sequel (EDIT - I meant to say prequel) but I think it would be interesting if it just told a new tale with different characters, as the GTA games do - BUT, each game over the next 20 years or so is set gradually more modern ending up in mafia ridden 1960's America with some GTA ancestors playing as the characters. So both games end up in the same universe. I think that could be cool.