No Man's Sky

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Chopper »

I had a great scheme for making money by salvaging ships.

The way the ship salvage 'mechanic' worked is that any wreck you found would be roughly the same class of ship you were currently flying, plus a tiny upgrade (a 5% better engine or something). You had to collect a load of crap to repair it, and then it was yours, but you had to leave your current ship behind as you flew off in your new ship. So, not really worth it.

If you buy a space station, you can use it as a garage, and own multiple ships. So my great idea was to buy a space station, scout for wrecks in the most expensive ship I had, lay down a marker, fly back to the space station, pick up my cheapest ship and then abandon that at the wreck site while flying off in the lovely expensive fixed up wreck.

This line of thought was prompted by me finding a decent wreck for once, it was pretty sweet. I laid down my marker, and went and ground out the credits to buy a space station, then ground a bit more to get a few cheap beaters in order to abandon at wreck sites. Hours of grinding.

Then I went back to claim my wreck.

Except there was nothing there, because the game only stored the last two or three markers you put down, and wiped the others from memory. Oh, and automatically overwrote your markers with points of interest :x

That was the end of my plan, and the game.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

^ I've got to tell you, that story exemplifies why I love the human race. Massive endeavour, blood, sweat and tears, the thrill of the process itself (I bet you were giddy on the possibilities while it was happening) and the inevitable glorious, glorious failure. Bravo.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

:lol: It's the human condition.
Spoiler: show
countstex

Post by countstex »

Definitely start a new game!
=>
Sadly, if you chose to resume a past save file, you cannot obtain the Blueprint Analyser. There is currently a bug that Hello Games hope to address in the first post update patch but at the moment, if you are on a pre-Next save file, you cannot obtain one. Even if a friend builds one and you pick it up, you cannot place it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd been looking forward to playing this all day yesterday, and planned a completely fresh start. I finally got home about 9:30pm, and by the time I was ready to play it was about half ten. Already tired but determined to get a couple of hours in I launched the game. Oh, there's a 1.51 update. No problem. I'll download that. I exited back to the PS4 dash and waited for the update to install. OK, it's installed now. I better close the app completely just to make sure the update installs properly I guess. I press options on the game logo and wait.

Deleting game, please wait.

Oh for fuck sake. In my tired haze I chose the wrong option. So I had to sit and wait for another half an hour whilst my PS4 downloaded the entire game again from scratch.

When I finally got on, I really enjoyed it. I did get a couple of hours in, but will be restarting AGAIN tonight because I feel like I could have got off to a better start, haha. Also I seem to have pissed the sentinels off on my planet and can't seem to appease them now! It was fun though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: July 28th, 2018, 9:18 am Also I seem to have pissed the sentinels off on my planet and can't seem to appease them now!
Only one thing to do.

Kill them.

Kill them all.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

...with my mining laser. Haha. I hadn't even got a blaster by that point!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Tried my old save on PS4. The frame rate was abysmal, and I'm usually fine with 30fps.

If they patch it and make it more stable, I'll be willing to try it again.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The frame rate isn't great is it, but it's the pop in that is the biggest niggle for me. It literally hampers you as you'll head off in a direction only to take ten steps and be faced by some sort of blockage causing you to redirect.

I spent a few hours last night on this though. They've totally changed the start, you no longer get a choice about whether to follow the Atlas path thing or not so I'm not sure when and if this story will start branching out at all, but at the moment it feels like I'm about four hours in to a tutorial trying to show me how stuff works still.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I get the impression that this build was not really put together with base PS4 and XO at the forefront of the developer’s concerns.

Performance varies across the different platforms as you’d expect:

Xbox One X > PS4 Pro > PS4 > Xbox One

PC potentially offers the very best experience in terms of graphics and performance of course, if you have the setup.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I guessed it was more optimised for the latest consoles, I read so much about graphical improvements but I can't really tell the difference between this and the launch version on my vanilla PS4. I'm probably wrong, I'm sure there are improvements, they're just not particularly noticable.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: July 24th, 2018, 8:39 am Great to see that it's a free update too, even with the price hike at CEX, £12 is still a very cheap price for it.
Worth noting that this has now gone up to £22 :mrgreen: .
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yep, I'm taking my boxed copy to trade for credit so I can buy the digital version.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: August 1st, 2018, 10:51 am Yep, I'm taking my boxed copy to trade for credit so I can buy the digital version.
Yeah man, you'll get £14 credit and £10 cash.

I suppose the cost of going into town and the effort/time involved is worth the benefit of having it at the ready on your hard drive.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Could anyone with PS+ do me a favour?

Have a look at NMS on the store: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/pro ... %20Edition

And let me know if it's any cheaper than £14.99 to Plus members? Just trying to toss up whether it's worth renewing this month. Thanks!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've put about 8 hours in to this now, loosely following the story whilst exploring on my own too. Nothing much has changed really with the minute to minute game play. You're still just flying to planets, having a look what's about, and moving on. I've yet to build a buggy, and that looks a lot fun. I've had a space fight, which I actually really enjoyed. Having never played anything to compare it to, I appreciate its probably incredibly limited compared to other space combat games, but it serves ok within this game I think. I've not got a freighter yet, so there are things to aim for.

Speaking of the story, it's not particularly engaging. After an extended tutorial, my current mission is simply to speak to 17 (which seems a rather random number) different aliens. I'm hoping it goes somewhere more interesting, because happy as I am just roaming about exploring, I'm the kind of person who needs something to aim for. I mean, even in Stardew Valley I set myself the 'completion' task of filling all the bundled on the community centre, but still, enjoying NMS a lot at the moment. I came across a massive, crashed freighter on a planet last night. Nothing to do with story or anything, it was just there. Finding the ships logs reveals it was attacked and grounded and the cargo was scattered about for me to dig up and find. I'm hoping there is plenty of stuff like this dotted about the universe, and the sparse planets do make finding things like this more exciting. I found a moon with really low gravity last night, too, which was exciting. Just jumping about with the jetpack and launching hundreds of metres in to the air.

It's all ultimately pointless, but an enjoyable way to pass an evening.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Pro tip: if you’re building a buggy, make sure you first find a planet you can drive around on with careless abandon, and not, I repeat not, one that is absolutely chock-full of big crevasses that you can’t drive for more than seven seconds without plunging into one :x
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Another decent sized update coming tomorrow. I love that they've supported this game so well. Some people still slate Hello games for the original release, slagging them off every time they release an update (and if you're one of those bilious individuals who can't let things go, move along, this thread isn't for you), but I'm genuinely impressed by their work over the last couple of years.

My only issue is that every time a big update drops I want to start again, so I never actually make any progress in the game!

Details here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ew-trailer
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is pretty cool:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/16/18628 ... ever-cloud

I've still got the game on the back burner, waiting for the right time to jump back in. I've enjoyed it every time I've played it, but something else always comes along and I forget about it for a while and end up starting again. I'm looking forward to actually getting in to it properly at some point!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I played this hard from launch day until about 60 hours and thought it was - Bland but enjoyable.

Every new update has really cool new features that always seem to almost give me the drive to give it another go.

My concern is that no matter what they add, or how cool it seems, this is always going to be a game that completely lost me.