No Man's Sky

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Flabyo »

ratsoalbion wrote:
Alex79uk wrote:Yeah, a deeper trading and space piracy system would have been fantastic. Basically, I just wanted Freelancer with prettier graphics and on-planet exploration.
So you want Elite: Dangerous - Horizons then
I love Elite:Dangerous, but it's really new player unfriendly. Especially on console. (If you thought you had to do some odd hand contortions to play Neverwinter or Star Trek Online on the consoles, they ain't got nothing on Elite). The main thing I think it has over NMS is that it's clearly a populated space, you see the impact of other players all the time in it.

Hopefully NMS will benefit from ongoing support and expansion though. Elite is a significantly more polished and 'complete' title now than it was at launch, so it can be done.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sean

Post by Sean »

The main benefit I've found to having base building is that it makes it easy to travel back to systems you've been to. Like, the other day, I built a small base. Warped to a new solar system, found it's space station and then, from there, I was able to warp to my base in the previous system. Not sure if you can have indefinite places to warp to or not, but, it's a nice addition considering you couldn't go back before (I think?).
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Hmmm... sometimes "GOTY" editions are good, as it usually includes all the updates and whatnot. And if No Man's Sky gets released that way, I'll pick it up then.

I mean, I have Deadly Premonition and Alpha Protocol proudly in my collection, so I'm not afraid to go against "critical acclaim".
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think a GotY edition of NMS would be a massive faux pas/own goal, especially given that it's a game with no paid for dlc to add value.

Far better I think thst they continue to try to win people back (or over) by incrementing substantially on what's in place with free updates.
Craig

Post by Craig »

ratsoalbion wrote:The interview is live now folks:
http://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1706
Despite not having played the game I found this thoroughly enjoyable. Obviously the backlash is somewhat of an elephant in the room, but it was handled really well; acknowledging the disappointment many felt while also condemning those who took the opportunity to be abusive.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

ratsoalbion wrote:I think a GotY edition of NMS would be a massive faux pas/own goal.
I actually laughed out loud when I heard that concept on the C******r G*** S*** this week.

Anyway, really enjoyed the interview and definitely agree with the idea that the way back is the DriveClub model. Support, support, support. Evolution copped a lot of flak, and then again when the free PS+ version finally appeared a year or so later, but it's almost unanimously seen as a fantastic game, totally salvaged. Obviously, we're talking apples and oranges in many other factors, and I think Rushy and the team handled the PR side very very well, as well as DriveClub not having anything near the same level of interest, attention and hype, but you get the point.

I might start this again on Survivor, that sounds fun.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Another big update on the way:

http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive

Glad I made the decision to hold off a year before playing it properly, sounds like it'll be quite a different game by the time I pop that disc back in the PS4. A lot of good groundwork has been laid, now if they could just add a really good story I think I'd be nearly ready to jump back in!
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

I'm definitely looking forward to that update. I really like the game as is, but I see a lot of potential with future updates. I'm glad Hello Games are still supporting it. At first the base building stuff seemed too involved for me to wanna try it, but once I started building and recruiting staff members, I got really into it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I hadn't played this for a few months but I'm impressed by how much better it looks and runs (or at least better than my memory). The recent update has added both higher res textures and the ability to fly closer to the ground, which is quite a big deal. I haven't made any vehicles yet but that also looks really good fun. One of my major criticisms of this game is that traversal is so slow because you're running out of stamina and jetpack quite quickly, even after fifty hours in the game. (Hmm, Zelda double standards? Anyway...)

I really did enjoy this game for the first twenty or thirty hours and was caught up in its sense of mystery. I felt that the Atlas quest had a fantastic sense of grandeur and alienness, but it did peter out. Once I learned that there was no concrete mystery to aim for, my interest dropped off, and when I saw how much the early builds had differed, and how Sean Murray had mismanaged the marketing (I'm being generous with that phrasing), it killed my enthusiasm full stop.

I'm pleased to see them sticking to their word though and continuing to support this significantly and I look forward to seeing what else they bring to it. I don't think we're looking at Driveclub level salvation, because the hype and backlash here is almost incomparable to anything I can remember, but I think it's going to end up a much better game than they first released.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I always keep an eye on this game since, despite what happened on launch, I'm still kinda interested in it. The fact that I could currently pick it up at CEX for only £12 is certainly swaying me into picking it up at some point in the not too distant future.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

It's £14 on the PSN store this week too if you don't have a CEX near you. I've picked it up for a later date :) Looks a lot more fleshed out now than at launch. It's a shame they 'didn't' but more probably 'couldn't' just come out and say they still had big ambitions post release. Might have put a stopper on the torrent of reactionary press which personally I found quite distasteful, but in the absence of an official statement they've got free rein. The counter to my own point is how can you trust your audience with that info if just months before they were sending you death threats.
Sean

Post by Sean »

A strangely unadvertised feature of the new patch, if you have a PS4 Pro, it runs at 60 FPS if you set your display to 1080.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

That'll be me once I finish NieR's other endings then :D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I'm very tempted now... £12.99 at Smyths
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I would say at that price, what NMS does well is undoubtedly worth it. I got a great thirty hours with the OG build at full price.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I got it in the psn sale and gave it a whirl last night. It's pretty awful so far - basically a grinding loop for more materials/inventory slots alleviated by some enjoyment gained by trying to figure out the systems. Maybe it'll get better and at the same time 10-15 bucks is a reasonable price point.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha, love the review. Have you taken off yet?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The only real gripe I have with the game is you can't configure controls (unless it's been patched in?) I found the mining/grinding oddly relaxing, and it would have made a perfect remote play in bed game, had the controls been better on the Vita. As it is you have to hold the touch screen to fire your weapon/mining tool, which is a major pain in the ass.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Stanshall wrote:Haha, love the review. Have you taken off yet?
I have, I've got as far as the first 'space station'. Literally the only thing of use there is the vending machine :lol:

So it looks like the planets are 'functionally' the same with different skins, I fly around from generic depot to generic depot, terrified that I'll run out of fuel and therefore stockpiling it in my limited inventory. Hopefully there's more to it than this; I expect there is but the bare bones nature of everything so far makes me paranoid there's not.

Alex, I can't even mine in peace because all these little sentinel bastards show up and start shooting.