4K Gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
nickturner13

4K Gaming

Post by nickturner13 »

Hi folks,

So I finally splashed out on a 49" 4K TV in the Black Friday sales, and "wow!" is about all I can say so far, having streamed some 4k video from both youtube and the new Grand Tour from Amazon Prime.

But of course the next step is to get into 4k gaming!

Has anyone much experience with either the PS4 Pro or XBox One S? I am more tempted by the PS4 for various reasons (game exclusives, initial launch put me off Xbox completely, preferred my PS2 to my Xbox 360 generally), although the fact the Xbox plays 4k Blu Ray while the PS4 Pro does not is a bit of a downer.

The alternative, and what I have done so far, is hook up my PC and use the TV as a 2nd monitor. This works ok at 4k with my graphics card (GTX 970) but the frame rate seems more in the 20-30 fps range on games like Rocket League, and on GTA V I've had to reduce the quality quite a lot to get it to a playable state. I didn't try out too many other games last night but I suppose one of my main plans is to get Skyrim Special Edition modded up fully and then on the TV at 4k.

So... what's anybody's experiences, and what do you think is the best bet:

1. PS4 Pro
2. Xbox One S
3. Build a new PC with a better graphics card (GTX 1080) & hook it up!

Cheers,
Nick
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: 4K Gaming

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm not much use to you at this point as I don't have a 4K screen nor a PS4 Pro yet. I do have a GeForce 1070 and it rocks but my PC monitor is also 1920 x 1080.
Obviously my next screen(s) will be higher resolution.

However, what I would say is that I wouldn't concern myself too much with what MS/Xbox did and said in 2012-2013. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.
I think the Xbox One S is a lovely console with loads to recommend it, not least of which is the ever expanding library of backwards compatible Xbox 360 titles.
I still love my PS4 too of course, and the One S mightn't be the wisest investment with 'Scorpio' on the way and the Pro already out.
James

Post by James »

I've been looking into this recently too. As far as I can tell, there aren't (m)any 4K monitors, so most people running 10 series Nvidia cards are limited to 1440p unless they hook their PC up to a 4K TV. Even then, the 1080 won't reach 60fps for most games if rendering 4K resolutions (according to TrustedReviews). That makes £600+ look like an awful lot to pay when a PS4 Pro or Xbox One S will get you into 4K gaming (albeit with upscaling).

You and Leon have neatly summed up the decision to be made between the PS4 Pro and One S. Personally, I'd opt for the Pro, given that it offers performance benefits beyond upscaling, but the lack of a UHD Bluray drive is a bit of a pain.

That said, this is all based on reading I've done, and not on any first-hand experience. So feel free to ignore me! ;-)
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Yes so I'm already at 2560x1440 with a 27" monitor on my PC... I love it but want MORE! :)

I've read things saying the PS4 Pro isn't worth it right now as there's not all that much difference to existing games... but that's obvious, I'm not expecting big changes to games that are already out, it's all about what games in the future are going to do.

FFXV of course came out today and I am extremely tempted by a PS4 Pro to see that in 4k.... and then there is of course the fabled FFVII remake which looks like it might be somewhat similar to FFXV in terms of graphical style.... FFVII being one of my all time favourite games, this is a big deal for me!

But then I take your point Leon about Scorpio and PS' Neo on the distant horizon... the question then becomes; the 3 options already given or just wait another year or 2 for the next round of consoles which will surely be fully 4k?!

Decisions decisions...

I think I will go with the PS4 Pro in the end, but still weighing up the options!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I have a PS4 Pro and a 4K HDR tv and it looks great, really nice. Some games look better than others.