All things Resident Evil (Biohazard)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Resident Evil

Post by DomsBeard »

Sean wrote:I've read that the demo is a really old build, so, maybe they miraculously made it actually good in the last couple months.
Seems bizarre that they'd release that as a demo close to release.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Heh, it's going to be interesting to see how this sells on Tuesday."Pretty badly" would be my guess, as I don't know anyone excited about it.

Dude, even if its an actual turd in a Resi 6 box its gonna sell. Average joe doesn't have a clue, they may read a review if they could be arsed but the majority will buy the game on its name. I give you Resi Evil : Raccoon City as an example.
It will be around the top of the charts easily but more than likely fall to Fifa 13 for top spot.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah, Racoon City was indeed abysmal, yet people bought it anyway. Still, as I say I've got 3 friends that like me grew up with Resi, and not one of us is paying full price for it.
Sean

Post by Sean »

So, reviews hit today, and, they're all over the place.

I'm kinda psyched to rent it, tomorrow. Though, not for the reasons I'm usually psyched for games.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah, it's certainly split the reviews down the middle. Lovefilm are sending me this next, so I'll soon be able to make my own mind up.
Sean

Post by Sean »

As down as I was on the demo, the wide variety of reviews actually makes me more interested in the game.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Right, well it's here. The reviews either say "It's shit!" or "It's brilliant". I've played 2 hours so far, here's my initial thoughts. First off, some negatives.

-Saving. We live in an age now where saving/quick saving are almost taken as read. In this, there's plenty of checkpoints, so death won't put you too far back. However, you can't manually save your game, it saves when you reach certain checkpoints. In an hour's play, it saved only twice, once a half hour. If you quit before then, kiss your hard work goodbye. So yeah, it's one you need to devote time to.

-Skills. So levelling up your guns is gone. Money dropped by enemies is gone. Instead, enemies randomly drop 'Skill Orbs', which you use to buy abilities, better defense, better accuracy, yadda yadda yadda. You know the drill. After getting a few collected, I figured i'd buy a skill. Except I couldn't. I could go to the menu to equip/change skills I've already got. But, unless you get the option to do so at the end of a chapter, you can't buy new Skills in-game. Seems a bit stupid to me, but hey-ho.

-Files. From the first game, and similar games in the genre, I like reading files. They give a bit of story, and can be entertaining ( the file in RE1 where the scientist turns gradually into a zombie springs to mind). In RE6, there's no files. Well, there sort of is. Hidden in-game are Medals, which if you find and shoot them, unlock files to be read. But you can't acsess them while playing, you have to read them in the Extras menu from the title screen.

Having said that, I'm 2 hours into Leon's Campaign, and it is fun so far. The clunky 'no pause' inventory from RE5 has been replaced with a 'd-pad to change weapons, Triangle button for Healing" system that quickly becomes second-nature. The combat is typical Resi, only now you can press R1 to kick, which used 3 times in a row kills a zombie, or neck-breaks one from behind.

Obviously it could all go tits up at any moment (I'm leaving Chris' allegedaly poor campaign for last). But I think it's safe to say it's not up to the calibre of RE4...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It's on it's way from Lovefilm..........
Sean

Post by Sean »

Played the first two chapters of Jake's campaign, and, it's pretty bad.

The cut scenes are intriguing, though. I do want to know what happens next. Getting to those scenes though, are painful.

There isn't a single good or fun thing about actually playing it. It's crazy.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Haven't played his yet, what's bad about it in your opinion mate? It'll be interesting to see how everyone's opinions of each will come out. Though of course, not as interesting as everyone's opinion of RE4 of "it's bloody amazing".

Oh, turns out you do end up buying skills when a Chapter ends. Do find it a bit stupid though how Leon stumbles across every dead body, and that even if you know damn well they're going to rise up as a zombie, you can't damage them until the game tells you to.

Also, it's one thing to have a Dodge button to avoid attacks. But the game never tells you about it, I'm on Chapter 2 of Leon's and there was absolutely no mention of it. And it was a bit bollocks that in one fight I got instantly-killed by an incoming vehicle purely because I was stood in the wrong place and had no time to get out it's way.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Had a quick go on The Mercernaries, which is pretty much business as usual for this mode. However, as if Capcom haven't been told time and time again that they are robbing cunts when it comes to DLC, there's only one map to play on. The rest you'll probably have to pay for. Ridiculous.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Voice over disk!?!, I'm sat having a meal out now so can't play it :(. Going to play Wesker JR's campaign 1st.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sean wrote:Played the first two chapters of Jake's campaign, and, it's pretty bad.

The cut scenes are intriguing, though. I do want to know what happens next. Getting to those scenes though, are painful.

There isn't a single good or fun thing about actually playing it. It's crazy.
Can't wait for the next update, each time you post on this it's sounding like someone's experience of a good nightmare :lol:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Beginning was good, even if its very confusing the signpost system is crap.

Started as Jake. Dear god it's awful. Camera, controls, combat, signposting(again), run animation. Been killed 7 times by
Spoiler: show
nemesis 2
which is annoying enough but then you get standard enemies rushing in to finish you off. Co-op AI seems worse than 5.

But the stories got me intrigued
Weskers son, Sherry Birkin
Hopefully it'll improve, I'm hoping it does......
MAp

Post by MAp »

So is anyone finding a silver lining to this game? Because between the demo, what I'm hearing in the reviews and this interview with executive producer Kobayashi-san, director Sasaki-san and producer Hirabayashi-san it's sounding like a complete soulless mess :x
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's not a total disaster according to most reviewers:

MetaCritic
Positive: 23 out of 49
Mixed: 21 out of 49
Negative: 5 out of 49

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6

The user reviews tell a different story but that smacks to me of mass trolling.
Based on the demo and word of mouth it sounds like a mostly competent but entirely unremarkable third person shooter.
'Tis on my Lovefilm list.
Sean

Post by Sean »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Haven't played his yet, what's bad about it in your opinion mate?
Literally everything about it, except for the cut scenes. It generally looks good, as well.

But, the shooting, melee, QTEs, camera (goddamn that fucking camera) inventory / pause mechanics...I hate all of it. I really try not use the word "hate" as much as I used to, but, it's the only word that fits. Played the first chapters of both Chris and Leon last night, and, it's all just poorly executed from top to bottom.

I genuinely believe that this game wasn't finished, and, was rushed to meet the production deadline.

edit: also, unless my opinion on this game drastically changes, I think I'm gonna bail on this thread, cause I don't want to be the guy constantly shitting on it, even though I kinda already am. :|
Toffer

Post by Toffer »

I played about twenty minutes of Leon's campaign at Eurogamer. Was largely unimpressed and it felt very generic by the numbers stuff. So sad really, considering the history of these games.
MAp

Post by MAp »

I don't tend to look at metacritic anymore ratsoalbion, I've generally found podcasts, websites, and blogs that work for me and go from there (with any missed gems nicely brought to my attention by Cane & Rinse, obviously). And to sum it up from those opinions it sounds like an age old design tail of intricate East trying to do streamlined West, and failing. Which just blows my mind for them to take that approach with a series that on a cold business level sells well? Saying all that I hear rumbles of this possibly being one of Capcom's best selling games of all time, so I may just go weep for the death of horror games whilst listening to the silent hill 2 soundtrack, and contemplate finally playing deadspace.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

On Chapter 3 of Leon now, and it has to be the most mediocre game in the 'main' series by miles. I don't hate it, but I'm not on the edge of my seat either. One section hit me as being pretty pointless,
You have to press a button on a statue that appears, doing so stops it firing arrows at you. In one bit you run round in a circle doing about 10 in a row. No danger, just a game of Whack-A-Mole. Yeah, bit stupid.
Oh, and to top it off,
a naked woman boss? Very classy Capcom.