All things Resident Evil (Biohazard)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Resident Evil

Post by ratsoalbion »

MAp I was only citing MetaCritic to illustrate that amongst 49 print & web organs most reviews have either been mixed or positive. The perception that this has taken a critical pasting is not entirely accurate.
MAp

Post by MAp »

ratsoalbion wrote:MAp I was only citing MetaCritic to illustrate that amongst 49 print & web organs most reviews have either been mixed or positive. The perception that this has taken a critical pasting is not entirely accurate.
Oh I'm sure on a larger scale of opinions that is true. I just wanted to let you know I hadn't paid too much attention to the angry mob gathering around this game :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Very wise.
Of course I'm not deaf to what our Sean is saying either.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Feels so weird to not be playing a new Resident Evil game as its a series that I have adored over the years. Despite hating two thirds of the demo I'm still strangely tempted to buy this. However with Borderlands/PES/LBPV taking up all my time, and Dishonered/Xcom just around the corner I think I'll wait till the new year.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Chapter One of Jake done. Painful. Going to leave it now and jump into Chris's.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Reached Chapter 4 of Leon's now, glad Chapter 3 is done with now, as frankly it was ridiculous. The QTE's are coming thick and fast now, and one section, which should have been "ooh tension" just had me laughing...
Spoiler: show
Hammering the X button to make Leon swim Benny Hill style to escape a big mutant fish thing.
Harsh reviews are one thing. But I'm a massive Resi fan, have enjoyed every main entry, and this is unquestionably the weakest in the series. It's definitely not "OMG it's shitter than Quantum Theory" as some claims are going. But it's most certainly not a 8/9 out of 10 either. And if that's what I think from allegedly the "best" Campaign, god knows what Jake and Chris bring to the table.

As for the "Skills" you can buy, while an interesting idea, they are ridiculously over-priced. 6 hours in and I'm not even remotely close to affording some of them. Then there are some that are useless, "Stop AI from helping you in Single Player". Yeah, sign me up for that shit :roll:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Well I've done a Chapter for each now. Chris's is surprisingly enjoyable even if the enemies are quite boring. Leon's is alright too, bit of a Resi 2 vibe. Surprised he's made it to special agent
he always seems to write off police cars within seconds of him taking the wheel :)

Back to Jake's now to see if it improves, I think you need to focus on melee in all campaigns as its definitely geared that way.

Story wise I can't fault it either.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah Melee attacks have been quote useful so far, even if the piss-poor "tutorial" doesn't even mention it. Or even tell you that it drains a Stamina Bar to use them.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah didn't even notice the stamina bar till I saw it in a pause menu.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Finished Leon's Campaign. While Chapter 3 is laughably bad, Chapters 4 and 5 are much more fun. Still not up to the series' usual standard, but not '4 out of 10' either.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Started Chapter 2 of Leon
what was the bus driver thinking ramming over a zombie on a mountain road? Idiot!!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Heh yeah, good point.

Done Chris Chapter 1, it's a bit annoying so far. The combat seems to consist of the same thing: get shot, fall flat on your arse. Get up, kill the enemy that shot you. Get shot by someone else, fall on your arse again. Etc etc.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Chris's Melee seems more powerful than the other 2 leads.
catbhoy

Post by catbhoy »

Having finished the 4 campaigns I'm surprised how much abuse this game has taken, was equally surprised at the abuse RE5 got.

I have read quite a number of zero reviews on metacritic and was laughing out loud at these nonsense comments.

I'm not for one second saying this game is great but much less has been said about much worse games.

Gaming snobbery has a lot to answer for.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I think, from the outside looking in, is that this is a game that was developed through market research rather than a creative vision. A shame, as the franchise is lacking a clear direction since the high points of RE2 and RE4.
Sean

Post by Sean »

So, either because I'm a glutton for punishment, or, I hate to leave things unfinished, I went ahead and cleared the main three campaigns last night, and, while my opinion on the game hasn't changed that much, if you get used to how bad it is, you can see some neat things in there. The co-op stuff is actually really good. AI partners help out a lot, and, since they can't die, and have infinite ammo, I actually preferred them to real people. Intersecting co-op is also a neat idea, although it doesn't really add much.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I'm on the last Chapter of Chris, and to be honest I've really enjoyed it. Chapter 2 was a bit of a ball-ache, but Chapters 3 and 4 are mostly excellent, and feel a lot like Resi 5. Personally I think it's better than Leon's Campaign, it's certainly an improvement not to be tripping up over zombies all the damn time.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Played Chapters 2 & 3 of Chris tonight in co-op with a random. Enhances the game and as mentioned above Chapter 3 is like Resi 5 after an average Chapter 2.

More moaning now ;) the chapters are too long! Resi 4 got it spot on by breaking them down into smaller pieces so it was easy to stop playing.

I'd also recommend playing one chapter of each character in turn as I've had one story spoilered by said character in chapter 3 of Chris's when I imagine if I'd played the two chapters of the character it wouldn't have been spoilt for me.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Anyone think the enemies in Chapter 4 (Chris)
look like Crysis rejects?

I think it's a strange design choice
playing the same sections of a game twice, but I presume they've done this in the hope if getting 4 player co-op going.
The Resi fan in me is warming to this game now. I've accepted it's probably going to be the weakest Resi I've playea and the writings iffy in places but I've really enjoyed the story so far.
catbhoy

Post by catbhoy »

DomsBeard wrote: I'd also recommend playing one chapter of each character in turn as I've had one story spoilered by said character in chapter 3 of Chris's when I imagine if I'd played the two chapters of the character it wouldn't have been spoilt for me.
yeah I wish I had done that, I played the campaigns in the order they appeared on screen one through five chapters then moved on to the next, not what I would recommend.

Got unlimited shotty ammo improves things no end :D