When's Mahvel? (The Marvel vs. Capcom thread)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

When's Mahvel? (The Marvel vs. Capcom thread)

Post by Flabyo »

Big weekend for fans of the vs series.

First there's a PS4 re-release for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Has all the DLC already in place. That's out now, and is also coming to Steam and the XBO in March.

Then the big one, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite was announced (this is the video clipped from the PSX show, because the crowd reaction is almost as fun as the video was)

And here's how it plays: (this is the extended version of this that aired in ESPN, more characters than the clip shown at the Capcom Cup)

My initial thoughts are that it's going to play more like SF x Tekken than UMvC3. Two person teams, tagging mid-combo... it's very similar to that game. The infinity stones look to be one shot character buffs. In interviews they're saying they're the comeback mechanic, so you may have to charge them during play by getting hit etc... Each gem apparently modifies the character playstayle, you'll get moves / specials you don't normally have.

The art style is... kinda meh right now. With the emphasis being mainly the Marvel Cinematic Universe here, it hasn't gone the cel-shaded look of the previous games.

They're saying 2017, I suspect we're talking late autumn at the earliest though.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: When's Mahvel? (The Marvel vs Capcom Thread)

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Really looking forward to this - have loved the vs games since the 90's.

Have to say I'm with you Flabyo on the style being a bit underwhelming at the moment though. The characters also look very shiny, for want of a better word, and the way they're lit seems completely off. They're all REALLY crisp and bright like they're being lit by powerful spotlights from every possible angle, and that contributes to them not looking like they're actually in the environment in which they're fighting at all.

Still, early days and don't want to sound like a grump. Bloody excited regardless!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I love the MvC games, but as mentioned by others, the art style really doesn't appeal. It looks more like Injustice than MvC. Tempted by the MvC3 remaster though, I'm all over that when it's in a sale.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Alex79uk wrote:It looks more like Injustice than MvC.
That's exactly what I was going to type. The animations thankfully seem to stick to the more dynamic MvC-style.

Not so sure about the SFxT comparison. I'm inclined to think it will be more like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Marvel vs. Capcom (1) in practice... minus assists. :(
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Weird how they've released UMvC3 on PS4 but not put the excellent Vita version or the PS3 version back up on the store. Seems a no-brainer if the licensing issues have been sorted out.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The 360 version is not (yet) playable on Xbox One either.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It's fairly likely the terms of the new licence don't include the PS3 and 360. I suspect that the cost for adding it back to those platforms is far greater than the number of new sales they'd expect to get on them. A shame, they could've at least re-enabled the DLC.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'm the worst at this game.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

To be quite honest those trailers were really underwhelming and like y'all said it really looks more like Injustice then MvC and I have to wonder if this is a Capcom decision or a Marvel one and speaking of Marvel decisions I find it extremelly disapointing that Marvel is gonna continue it's genocide of the X-men in whatever form it can,having a MvC without Wolverine is a travesty, it was the X-men that built the entire versus series to begin with and to see them being cast aside at the behest of some disney exect is revolting. Lastly the whole gem thing is worrying especially if you remember how SFvT turned out.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

People seem to be forgetting the Infinity Gems have been in the series before...
James

Re: When's Mahvel? (The Marvel vs. Capcom thread)

Post by James »

So, I was perfectly happy with the art style (given how early the game is). For what it's worth, Injustice was a game (like MK in general) that I really didn't care to look at, due to how dark it was and my usual aversions to NetherRealm character design.

I was totting up character appearances in Capcom Vs games today (as you do). It's safe to say that as well as many X-Men/Fantastic Four characters being fan favourites, X-Men (in particular) would be sorely missed in numbers as well. 21 different X-Men characters have appeared in the various Vs games, compared to 2 Fantastic Four enemies and 20 'other' Marvel characters. That's a big chunk of missing characters, but I also totted up the number of characters that the game could draw upon if it really was focused solely on the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I easily came up with 60, so there's no shortage of quantity.

But fret not, Todinho... or at least a little bit less; a Game Informer interview over the weekend suggested that the X-Men (and FF) aren't off the table.

The same interview claimed that the Infinity Stones (not Gems! - pedant alert) are more comparable to the CvS2 Groove System. Hopefully that quells fears a tiny bit - I for one remember that system fondly, if a little faintly.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Flabyo wrote:A shame, they could've at least re-enabled the DLC.
That's all I want. I was scouring the XBLA marketplace to see if they stealthily re-enabled it.
James wrote:The same interview claimed that the Infinity Stones (not Gems! - pedant alert) are more comparable to the CvS2 Groove System. Hopefully that quells fears a tiny bit - I for one remember that system fondly, if a little faintly.
I remember CvS2 grooves very vividly (also because I still play that game regularly) and it might even be my favourite thing about the whole game. Like how you can give Street Fighter characters KOF properties and mobility options in N-groove. That type of historical context / significance would be missing for this new Infinity Stones system, but let's wait and see how it turns out.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

James wrote: But fret not, Todinho... or at least a little bit less; a Game Informer interview over the weekend suggested that the X-Men (and FF) aren't off the table.

The same interview claimed that the Infinity Stones (not Gems! - pedant alert) are more comparable to the CvS2 Groove System. Hopefully that quells fears a tiny bit - I for one remember that system fondly, if a little faintly.
Ok this puts me a bit more at ease hopefully we can have at least 1 or 2 X-men characters and seeing them say it`s more like the groove system is good because I dont really like the STONES in Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter and the less said about the system in SFvT the best.
James

Post by James »

Flabyo wrote:It's fairly likely the terms of the new licence don't include the PS3 and 360. I suspect that the cost for adding it back to those platforms is far greater than the number of new sales they'd expect to get on them. A shame, they could've at least re-enabled the DLC.
Yeah, I suppose it may be easier to negotiate a new licensing deal if every copy is a fresh purchase. That said, I honestly just think they wanted UMvC3 in circulation on the current platforms to build expectation for Infinite. I'm not sure I would've gone back to my 360 copy if I could play it on the machine that I'm already playing SFV on, but that makes me part of the problem. :oops:

I suppose one big bonus is that Marvel and Capcom will be fully supportive of UMvC3 at Evo next year. I can't imagine we'll see it tagged onto the Capcom Pro Tour, but I'd love that. Oh, on that note, it's worth saying that the Game Informer interview I linked in my previous post indicates a "late 2017" release for MvC: Infinite, so we're definitely looking at the best part of a year's build up (character announcements, etc). :D
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Flabyo wrote:My initial thoughts are that it's going to play more like SF x Tekken than UMvC3. Two person teams, tagging mid-combo... it's very similar to that game.
I rewatched the gameplay trailer again and I stand corrected. You're right, the way characters come running in and carry on the combo is very Tekken Tag- / SFxT-like. Hmmm. Doesn't seem like the best fit for a Marvel vs. Capcom game.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'm playing this on easy difficulty (the PS4 re-release) and christ, it is kicking my arse half way to timbuktu and back.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^Don't know if you're new to the series, but a good basic rule not to get your behind kicked too much is to tag out characters in time, so they can recover their red health.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

The PS4 version is getting a physical release in March alongside the XboxOne release...exclusive to Gamestop in the US, so no Amazon orders unfortunately.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Really enjoyed the series until 3 which I've found to be the worst 2d Capcom fighter I've played but it's probably just sour grapes as I'm usually alright at these games but I'm appalling at UMVC3.

I'll probably give it a miss.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I downloaded UMC3 for PS4 yesterday just for the convenience of having it on PS4 HDD rather than Xbox 360 disc.
I still have both Marvel vs. Capcoms 1 and 2 forever installed on my 360 though (XBLA).