The Witcher III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Miririn

Re: The Witcher III

Post by Miririn »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 18th, 2021, 7:36 pm It's perfectly cool to be ranty if something legitimately gets to you!

We're 100% pro subjectivity, it's only when folks can't tell the difference between their own experiences and other people's that we get twitchy.
In which case, I will add a postscript to my rant that if you love Triss, please ignore my whining about a character you love, as the problem is almost definitely with me and not the character. My opinions on characters in fiction are notorious among my friends for being terrible (source: I had a friend who refused to carry on watching "Game of Thrones" with me because I "loved all the worst characters and had terrible ASOIAF opinions". :P )
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

😆
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

For another perspective from someone drawn more to the Triss plot line, the masquerade ball was one of the most touching and genuinely romantic experiences I've ever had in a game. I didn't want it to end. A lovely moment. As weird as this may come across, she reminded me of my wife (swap black magic for black humour) so that's probably why I was subconsciously more interested in following that route.

But in all honesty, without being crass, I tried to shag everything with a pulse.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

I romanced Triss in TW3, although I don't have a strong opinion either way. I wasn't really aware of the story outside of the games so might've done differently if I was. Main reason I stuck with her was that I liked her and Geralt's relationship in TW2 and 3, they seemed to click better and they supported each other in their quests. Whereas Yen and Geralt are constantly bickering and their relationship didn't seem healthy to me. Like the 'storybook whirlwind romance' that in reality would lead to an unhappy long term relationship.

I do like Yen and I remember their relationship improving over the game. Plus the game kind of pushes you in that direction, those two have the weight of history and picking Triss feels like you're going off book. I'm suprised they give you the option at all honestly, maybe it would've been better if they hadn't. As I say I'm not team one way or the other, I just kind of went the way I went. But I also wouldn't go back on my choices as I did feel that Triss and Geralt were good for each other as I played the games.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Marlew wrote: March 19th, 2021, 7:16 am For another perspective from someone drawn more to the Triss plot line, the masquerade ball was one of the most touching and genuinely romantic experiences I've ever had in a game. I didn't want it to end. A lovely moment. As weird as this may come across, she reminded me of my wife (swap black magic for black humour) so that's probably why I was subconsciously more interested in following that route.

But in all honesty, without being crass, I tried to shag everything with a pulse.
I did think the masquerade ball was really good, and Triss' other quests tie into the Novigrad web of intrigue which is such a highlight of the story to me. Even if she doesn't seem to have the sort of magnetic, natural dynamic with Geralt I think Yennefer does, Triss felt like a big part of adventuring around the city.

The thing is that following up the romance options feels the best way to hit quite a few of the major side quests. Like I wouldn't want to miss a quest like The Last Wish for anything.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

I definitely would be letting Geralt shag around just to get more plot stuff (despite my dislike of Triss) if I hadn't been alerted to what happens if you string both Yen and Triss along (I want a grand romantic ending rather than a joke ending - I'm cheesy!)

It did make me laugh/frustrated that the game will always make your interactions with Triss romantic no matter what dialogue option you pick and so the game makes it hard to avoid leading her on a bit, even if you're a stubborn cow like me purposefully trying to drive them apart. For example:

Guards: We will torture the sorceress!

Me: Hmm well I don't particularly care about Triss but I'm not playing Geralt as a complete arsehole and I hate torture and I hate Menge, so I'd better use Agni to save her. Not to be romantic but just to be decent.

LATER

Triss: Oh Geralt you fool, you ruined the plan!

Me: I'm not about to let some innocent get tortured. Tell her, Geralt. * chooses the most anodyne "just doing the right thing" dialogue option *

Geralt: I care about you too much to let you get hurt. You mean so much to me. * soppy romance eyes *

Me: .......... >:O
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Miririn wrote: March 19th, 2021, 12:33 pm Geralt: I care about you too much to let you get hurt. You mean so much to me. * soppy romance eyes *

Me: .......... >:O
[/I]
This cracked me up much more than I expected it to :lol: