Robotron: 2084

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Robotron: 2084

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here is where you can leave your thoughts regarding Robotron: 2084 for possible inclusion in the podcast when it's recorded.
mikeleddy83

Re: Our next podcast recording (8.6.17) - Robotron: 2084

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I really enjoyed this game but with the memory of a goldfish and no time with it or any of it's successors for at least a decade I'm sadly unable to commit to any correspondence. Of course I do have an hour free right now :) Tough decisions when you can say you've played Smash TV multiple times over the last decade though.
Stanshall

Re: Our next podcast recording (8.6.17) - Robotron: 2084

Post by Stanshall »

I only played Robotron 2084 for the first time in March 2017 at Arcade Club in Bury. (Please feel free to delete that bit if it sounds like advertising - it's not!) I played hours and hours of Llamatron on the ST as a kid and I love a good twin stick shooter, I've played hours of Geometry Wars but I wasn't prepared for how hard, intense and overwhelming it would be. I think the biggest factor is the sound. The bassy pulse of the shots is relentless, it's like listening to chiptune gabba. The steadily encroaching enemies, unidentifiable to me, only add to the tension. It's also unnervingly responsive for my modern sensibilities. No inertia, no weight, no after touch, just precise robotic bedlam. The only moments of respite are a brief psychedelic screen wipe and sine wave tone, and then the next wave begins again. Brutal, exhilarating. I can imagine that as a kid, I would have pumped this full of 10p pieces. I'll certainly be back to play it again.
Michiel K

Re: Robotron: 2084

Post by Michiel K »

Thanks for adding on, guys!

So my current highest score is a meager 167.825 and I made it to wave 11. I love how hard but honest Robotron 2084 is. It's a very hard balance to just get right. And I keep on seeing room for improvement!
Alex79

Re: Robotron: 2084

Post by Alex79 »

I must admit I've never played this game other than a really quick blast on MAME many years ago. Regardless, I'm aware it deserves a whole lot of respect for pretty much creating the twin stick shooter we all know and love today. There was an interesting article in Retro Gamer about it a few years back too that was worth reading. Robotron, I salute you!