Flashback

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Ventis

Re: Our next podcast recording (6.5.17): Flashback

Post by Ventis »

Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent covert of the podcast and have signed up to the forums especially for Flashback, this game is the reason I am a gamer.

I was born in the late 80’s and my first gaming memories involved the Megadrive, I remember getting the console, along with Sonic 1 and that awesome triple back that had Columns, Super Hang On and Italia ‘90 on it for Christmas and loving it. Both games had that fun ‘pick up and play’ factor that many 16 bit titles were famous for and the Megadrive became a way for me and my Brothers to mess about and beat each other’s high scores. I remember seeing my oldest Brother and his friend playing Flashback and immediately being drawn in, this wasn’t anything I’d seen from a game before, this was a step up. The game looked gorgeous, had great music and sound effects (I still often find that bass line popping into my head at random moments) and had an ambitious story that spanned many locations and many planets.

I don’t know how but Flashback ended up being left at ours overnight and I remember playing it relentlessly, though not getting too far before we had to unwillingly give it back to my brothers mate. From then on Flashback was the only game I wanted and after getting it and completing it on the Megadrive I replayed it on the SNES, bought a PC copy which never installed properly, an iPhone version which was later removed from sale and in my Uni days I managed to find a copy of it, along with a Megadrive, on a market stall which I snapped up. I still have it in the loft and often mean to dust it off and play it but never have the time, I’d love a remaster in a similar style that Another World received and not the awful one that was released in 2013, don’t mention “awesome-sauce” to me… please.

My strongest memories are of the jungle planet and jumping in that massive hole, the neon beauty of Death Tower, the fun that I had playing with the teleporter and the seemingly vast and bustling area of New Washington with each station housing large areas to explore. I still have anxiety nightmares about the time I completed one of the jobs, got teleported back to the job centre and then ran out to use the elevator – the problem being that the elevator was still on the floor below which meant Conrad was sent falling to his death and me holding my head in my hands, I would have killed for autosave in 1992!

My three words (formerly found in the 'notes' section of the manual) would be:

BETSY, STUDIO, INCBIN

Thanks Guys.
NokkonWud

Re: Our next podcast recording (6.5.17): Flashback

Post by NokkonWud »

Thanks for all your feedback everyone, feel free to keep it coming!

It's great to see you sign up Ventis, it's always appreciated when someone signs up to just to discuss a certain game and it seems this one is very important to you! I hope you stick around and give some equally excellent feedback for future shows too.