Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
The Sonic Mole

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by The Sonic Mole »

The Sonic Mole wrote: So far this year...

The Last Guardian (PS4)
My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS)
Super Mario Bros. (Wii U Virtual Console)
Yakuza 4 (PS3)
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition (PC)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS Virtual Console)
Virginia (PS4)
Chibi-Robo! (GameCube)

So glad I replayed it.

Firewatch (PS4)

I think this is one of the most enjoyable games in this style I've played. Very atmospheric, very pretty, great story and voice acting. Yeah, loved it - even the ending!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

ratsoalbion wrote:
DomsBeard wrote:I thought 5 was a bit of a let down
:o :shock: :cry:
Yeah, I second Leon here. One of the finest final levels I have ever had the pleasure of playing through. Perfect way to finish off a true classic of a game.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

14/01: Rez Infinite
16/01: Journey
20/02: Bastion
20/02: Pokemon Moon
09/03: Grow Home

Grow Home (PS4)

Grew the star plant and got all 8 star seed pods. This game was a complete emotional rollercoaster for me in terms of how I felt about it during my playtime. At first, I despised it. Wonky controls, unreliable camera and found climbing to be a slog. Threw the controller down in disgust and was about to never touch it again. However, instead of deleting it from my PS4 I returned to it when I was in a more relaxed mood and then it became a real joy to grow and climb plants, upgrading your rocket pack and gliding through the world. The longer I played, the more I mastered my way through this world. Even setbacks such as falling from on high just encouraged me to try again and get better instead of shutting off the console in anger. I was pretty stressed out with work when I played this game the first time so its unconventional style really stressed me out whenever I messed up. Coming back to it with a relaxed state of mind really made me appreciate what it was trying to do a lot more. I still find the controls to be a bit stodgy but the longer you play the more used to them you get and you learn to adapt to its way of doing things very quickly. Nice to see what the critics were seeing in this after all!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Severed(Psvita)- A pretty sad game actually I didnt expect the tone to be so dark but I think it pulls it off,gameplaywise I do have a few issues for example backtracking is really painfull in this game,it follows a metroidvania kinda structure where you get power ups that allow you to explore more of the dungeons but the problems is that since this is a First Person dungeon crawler walking back to previous areas is really slow especially when you have to resolve puzzles to keep going so it can be quite boring and frustrating if you're like me and trying to get everything(which Im 99% sure affects the ending). One mechanics that is also pretty bad is timed combat, later on you have to finnish a fight in a set amount of time or you have to redo it and that's just bad because it basically boils down to you swiping your finger at the screen faster.

Other then a few problems thou I still really enjoyed my time with it,it was an acessible First person Dungeon Crawler with a pretty fun combat system and some neat puzzles and bosses along the way.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Spoiler: show
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
Podcast recording on Monday 13th at 2100 GMT.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 2 - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
Jan 11 - very DOOM (PS4)
Jan 21 - The Last Guardian (PS4)
Jan 27 - Pokémon Sun (3DS)
Feb 9 - They Breathe (PC)
Feb 15 - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
Feb 19 - Gone Home (PS4)
Mar 11 - The Little Acre (PS4)

I'm not a seasoned point and click player, but as I'm sure was mentioned in Leon's interview its very streamlined and simple (in fact I don't think I ever filled my six inventory slots). Compared to older games in the genre therefore its very easy. It looks great and I suspect the animators had more fun with the environments rather than the playable characters from looking at some of the details and movements that go on in the environments. It's a nice small (in both length and scale) adventure.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Inside (100% both endings). Um. Yeah.
Gone Home
Firewatch
Bastion
NieR (Xbox 360)
The Order: 1886
DmC: Definitive Edition (PS4)
NieR: Automata (2Bs ending)

I really liked the first NieR, but I felt the combat element was a little creaky. In steps Platinum for N:A and I shit you not, its better than DmC. Instead of the system from the first game where you could equip one weapon and that was your stick to beat the shades with. In N:A you equip two weapons heavy, light, your bare fists and they all combo together in different ways. Dodging, slashing, juggling or smashing it's a real thrill.

The store is pretty good. It's no War and Peace, but it's good. There's a slack handful of callbacks to NieR (some larger or more direct than others). As for how the game looks. Wonderful! Slick, smooth and fast. Barely dropped a frame all the way too.

I'm already on with another play through for the second ending even though I've put I don't even know how long into it since Friday! A must have if you're on the fence!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

skidoosh wrote:I shit you not, its better than DmC.
No offense, but... what isn't? I'm assuming you're referring specifically to the combat system.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

February 18th - The Witness (PS4)
February 26th - Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
March 13th - Dishonored 2 (PS4)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm(PC)- The campaign is alot shorter then I remembered and the more I think about it the more meaningless the story in this becomes,it's basically a big stall where nothing of consequence happens until the climax in Legacy of the Void, speaking of which I just started playing it and from the get it's already grabbing me way more then HotS ever did, yeah we're still locked into the whole prophecy thing but now things are actually unfolding and the events are interesting. It also helps that the Protoss are really cool and you get a whole ship of them to talk to XD
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
14/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending A)

Still a lot more to do in this game, but I say this still counts for this thread. So far, I like it, but I'm not really in love with it. In terms of combat it's great of course. The usual Platinum polish is here. It feels great to play. Don't think there's much need to go more in to it though. If you know Platinum, you'll know what to expect. Not to downplay that though, since that's why the studio is so great. But at the same time, this type of gameplay is inevitably going to get compared to the likes of Bayo and MGR. And it doesn't quite reach those heights, although I never expected it to, since it's a game with a wider focus than those. I suppose this game does something different in the gameplay department with the chip system and the shooting sections. The chips do give you an interesting way to customise your play style, but that's not exactly a new thing for Platinum games. The shooter sections were quite cool. A lot more in-depth than in the first game, without being overwhelmingly hard like in Furi. But there wasn't really much else in terms of variety. Nothing like the way the first Nier had a go at so many different genres.

In terms of story I feel a bit underwhelmed to be honest. There are quite a lot of very cool moments and concepts it brings up, but it doesn't feel like it delves in to them much at all. Similarly, 2B and 9S are good characters, that seem like they could have some real chemistry together, yet it never really amounts to anything. Didn't get attached to them. The antagonists didn't make much impression either. That is to say at this point in the game anyway. Hopefully they flesh things out more in the other story lines. But like with the combat comparisons, this side of the game is unfortunately going to draw comparisons with the original Nier. I find with game narratives that really resonate with me, it's often like lightning in a bottle. Certain elements come together in a certain way and context, and everything just clicks. You can't really recreate that, so I wasn't expecting Automata to do that. Just hoping it would be able to do its own thing instead, that might still be good in its own right. So far I haven't seen that emerging as well as it could have. Hopefully once I go through all the other letters of the alphabet it'll make good on those.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I've completed The Little Acre and Night in the Woods, both were games I was playing as a shorter and more casual counterpoint to Nioh.

Both disappointed on some level. I haven't listened to the C&R interview with the little acre folks, but I'm surprised (though glad) at the very positive reaction the game got in reviews overall. More power to them, hope they go on in the same vein.

Night in the woods was a weird one. I was delighted with the ending and wrap up initially, as a result of the main body of the game being pretty interminable (for 6 or 7 hours you basically walk left to right and have a conversation with some characters before returning home and repeating the next day). Then the game is concluded in a mass of exposition and action in the last hour.

I'm down with it thematically (dead end jobs and other social issues relating to adulthood), but it dragged out too much. This had the effect of me greeting the ending with a huge rush. It was only after thinking about it a few days later that I remembered the ending was a bit of a mess, and I was elated at finishing the game rather than at the game.

But it's an interesting game for sure (Oxenfree+) and looks lovely. Well worth checking out if you're into these things.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void(PC)- Gameplaywise it's probably my favorite of the bunch,some very creative missions that not only are fun to play but feel properlly epic in scale the progression system of the units and abilities you get feel the most fleshed out they've ever been and it's really cool to have 3 versions of every unit to chose from and change depending on the mission,unlike in heart of the swarm where you had 2 units options and had to permanently choose 1. And I have to say Blizzards cutscene department was really putting in the work in this last expansion and not only the CG team, the in-game cutscenes,that dont usually look that good if Im honest, were pretty great this time around as was the soundtrack no wonder it was featured twice already in Sound of Play episodes.

Storywise I think my problems with Starcraft 2 as a whole are pretty clear but legacy of the void wasnt all that bad all things considered,the whole campaign centered around uniting the protoss and having them put aside their diferences and traditions,which was the same thing on Starcraft 1 and Brood War...Only now there are more factions of Protoss that I dont think make all that much sense and also there's a pretty major decision in regard with Protoss race as a whole that Im not sure how to feel about,in a way it works but in other Im a bit iffy. It also helps that all the Return of the King style moments and battles were happening here so even if I wasnt all that invested in the story per se the moments in of themselfs were pretty awesome.
So the story was ok...until the epilogue that is,then Blizzard pulls the greatest deus ex machina bullshit spacemagic I'ver ever seen,it seems that the when the writers were about to write the overarching SC2 story they were given 1 directive "You must redeem Kerrigan" and they went "But what if that doesnt make any sense?" and the response was "Dont care invent some bullshit" and oh boy they did,I've never seen something like this before where not only they went super hard to redeem this irredimable character but also to give her and everybody in galaxy it seems a super lame happy ending, and to do that they basically just did the story of Warcraft 3 again space satan and all. It's all so incredible stupid and it just sucks any interest and investment you'd have in the story or the universe for that matter, after finnishing I actually went and found my original Starcraft 1 manual from back in the day and I just started reading the huge backstory section of it and was amazed at how even that,which is basically a wikia page for the factions, manages to be so more interesting then the direction they took the story in 2. Im really shocked how Blizzard went from one of the companies that I liked the most for the lore and stories in their games to one where I wonder how they're gonna fuck up next,the lore and story in Warcraft&Starcraft in particular are irreparably damaged and nothing short of a reboot or a huge time jump can save it and that's sad, you know growing up with the Star Wars prequels I never got the rage and resentment many fans have for those movies,yeah they are not as good as the originals and as movies have fundamental problems like the Plinkket reviews point, but now I think do :( .
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote:JAN - Little Big Planet Vita (PS Vita)
JAN - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
JAN - Day Of The Tentacle Remastered (PS Vita)
JAN - Hidden My Game By Mom (Android)
FEB - Trials Fusion (PS4)
FEB - Life Is Strange (PS4)
MAR - ABZÛ (PS4)

Finished this in one sitting last night. I had high hopes for this after finding out it was by several of the devs who worked on the fantastic Journey, and it didn't disappoint.

Gliding about under the water was a most tranquil experience, and there were definitely one or two moments where I had to stop and just take in what was happening on the screen. Don't want to spoil anything but there is one moment in particular that you lose control of your character and something magnificent happens.

The story (?) was full of metaphor, sometimes subtle and sometimes completely not so, but I definitely felt like I went on some kind of journey. No pun intended.

It was a great experience, and whilst it didn't quite reach the heights of Journey, for me, it was a lot more interesting than, say, Flower.

It's still about a fiver on the store I think, and for a solid two and a half hour (or thereabouts) experience, is absolutely worth your time and money.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

March 16th - Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

Damn, does that game get long winded.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

20/1 Uncharted 4 - Moderate
20/2 Deus EX: Mankind

17/3 The Last Gardien

Bit meh for me. Looks good but not much to it really.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote:Jan 1st - Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
Jan 8th - Shantae: Half-genie hero (XBO)
Feb 1st - Tales from the Borderlands (XBO)
Feb 6th - Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS4)
Mar 19th - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)

Ahhhh, now that was the good stuff.

Not got all the shrines done (I'm on 64), but finished every main questline.

I'll be going back to do more at some point I'm sure, but I'm a little open worlded out for the time being. Need to play something very different in style for a while.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

ThirdMan wrote:
12/03 - Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)

Just the vanilla story (chapters 1-8). I'm not sure if I'll return for the DLC or the other game modes. It was my first introduction to the Fire Emblem series. I enjoyed the grid-based strategy and the weapons triangle system but the setting and characters were awful. I realise that the story is just a device to roll out all of the classic heroes from the series, so I don't blame the game for not being able to engage me in that regard. It's fan service and that's fine, especially for a free-to-play game. However the issue with the setting runs deeper than that for me. That whole Norse infused Japanese fantasy thing just does not work. Japanese writers and artists have conjured up some extraordinarily imaginative worlds in the past, across various mediums, but that particular theme or trend is a total misstep. Anyway, not much discussion of the actual game here but that just tells you how turned off I am by the whole thing. It's a shame because I've just been given a free copy of Awakening and had been looking forward to getting stuck in just as soon as I pick up a 3DS. Now I'm not so sure.
PLEASE don't let Heroes turn you off on the series. I've watched my wife play it and t's entirely unrepresentative of it.

Also, Awakening can be turned into a major grindfest and has almost no interesting map objectives. I ended up really disliking it and am currently forcing myself to finish it.

Of all the Western localised FE games, Path of Radiance on 'Cube and Radiant Dawn on Wii still remain my favourites, even though the polygonal graphics aren't too hot (especially not in Path of Radiance). The underlying systems are complex and engaging, the map and objective design is amazing and varied (especially in Radiant Dawn), the story is equally engaging and because there are no opportunities to grind (like in most old school FE games), positioning your units in such a way that you can optimise their 'experience gain', and the accompanying risk, is just as much a part of the tactics as winning the battle. It really forces you to think. By fulfilling certain map conditions, you can increase gained bonus experience, which you can use to compensate for certain units lagging behind.

As far as the setting is concerned, that's fair enough, but up until the more trendy Awakening, I personally found the Japanese approach to Western-styled medieval fantasy the series exhibited very charming. It reminded me of classic mangas like Record of Lodoss War and the likes. The writing and the character development in the Radiant games have enough depth to it that it kept me engaged enough as far as video game stories go.