Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Very well said, Michiel. I personally prefer FE7 over both 9 and 10, but your analysis is on point. The experience management/planning aspect is definitely one of the series' strongest elements. The story in 9 especially is surprisingly good, I'd say it's probably the best narrative of any first-party Nintendo game. The series' current state is a paradoxical one: hugely popular yet oddly misrepresented at the same time. In any case, it's nice to see someone else care about the classic series around here. :)

PS: There is an abandoned "All about FE" thread buried around here somewhere in case you want to continue this conversation in a more appropriate place.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Tearaway Unfolded(PS4)- Not gonna lie I had to force my way through the end of this one,it also didnt help that the kept pretending it was gonna end just to go "ops not so fast" and keep going,I mean honestly the game had several natural ending points but it seems the devs just wanted to keep spreading it out. Also some of the plataforming at the end got annoying,not because it was particularlly difficult but because the game mechanics are pretty weak, I died a bunch of times by pressing jump and the game not registering or by the camera perspective suddenly changing on me. I have to reiterate that I really liked the dedication to utilize the PS4 controller in a similar way to the vita and how creative the game is and wants you to be but I have to say it just didnt do it for me, maybe is because Im just not in the right frame of mind for this game or I've grow too cynical to appreciatte it but I just couldnt get into it and especially the ending did nothing for me. Still I love that Media Moleculle is able to make these types of games and they have this almost single minded focus on inspiring creativity, Im glad I played this and even though it didnt do it for me Im hopefull for whatever other game they do next.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
14/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending A)
20/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending B)

Not a huge amount to say this time around. It was mostly a retread of the first run through, except with some changing up of mechanics and some extra details that added a bit to the story. I actually appreciated that though. Fleshed out some stuff from path A, while also dropping some curious hints about what's to come. I also made a bit more of an effort to play more of the side-quests this time too. Again, that did a lot to make the story feel more substantive. I also much preferred the alternate version of the credits theme too. Always thought that English version was kind of bad. Obscuring the awful lyrics in Japanese, and with a different vocalist, it definitely made it much more enjoyable.

I also got one of the joke endings the other day (Ending K), but I think those shouldn't really count for this thread. I seem to be kind of bad at getting those. I'm kind of worried about messing something up while trying to look for them though. Then again, I guess the game wouldn't be that mean.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote:Very well said, Michiel. I personally prefer FE7 over both 9 and 10, but your analysis is on point. The experience management/planning aspect is definitely one of the series' strongest elements. The story in 9 especially is surprisingly good, I'd say it's probably the best narrative of any first-party Nintendo game. The series' current state is a paradoxical one: hugely popular yet oddly misrepresented at the same time. In any case, it's nice to see someone else care about the classic series around here. :)

PS: There is an abandoned "All about FE" thread buried around here somewhere in case you want to continue this conversation in a more appropriate place.
Thanks, man! I agree with your view on the series' current state. Was hoping for Fates: Conquest to capturfe more of what made the older games so good, but then there's all this guff like the castle building, a gimped face touching minigame that would have been better to have been cut out completely and a sad excuse to bring back the marrying/breeding aspect of Awakening.

Let's dig up that thread, shall we?
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Inside (100% both endings). Um. Yeah.
Gone Home
Firewatch
Bastion
NieR (Xbox 360)
The Order: 1886
DmC: Definitive Edition (PS4)
NieR: Automata (Platinum)

I somehow managed to find sixty hours in just over a week to do this :-/ Well worth it!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Wasteland 2
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Titanfall 2 - What a game, I'm still cleaning up trophies. Add me if you want to do some multiplayer (PS4)
Jan - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls - I played through this again with some friends and leveled up a new toons whilst getting through all the additional content. The Diablo 1 stuff is really cool.
Feb - Day of the Tentacle - I finally finished a point and click game. I ended up using a guide as doing it without was taking too long, it's a really good game.
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - The Naruto series is a guilty pleasure for me, I didn't enjoy the end of the Anime but feel obliged to finish the games because I've played all the others.
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Finished all the DLC and got the Plat.
Feb - Fire Emblem Fates : Birthright - Finally finished this game after starting it last June, it's a good game but I found it dragged near the end. Whilst the Fire Emblem games are good fun, I am worried that they are not changing enough between iterations.
March - Dark Souls 3 - I managed to finish a souls game :) I got all the bosses, Nameless King was a nightmare but the rest went down under 5 attempts.
March - Final Fantasy 15 - I'm not sure where I stand on this game. I really enjoyed the outside world, the sense of brotherhood of the group, the chocobos and the all round nostalgia of previous games that it has throughout. However, It suffers from some massive pacing issues and huge parts of the story seem glossed over. I was ready to stop playing in the final quarter of the game as it felt like a massive chore, I am glad I finished it though as the ending is superb. I watched the film before playing the game and it feels to me that the film is a must to have any idea what's going on in the world.

The combat is a mess, I never felt I had control of my character or my party. The dodge / block / parry mechanic seems really temperamental which became really frustrating. The combat seemed to be about popping potions and holding the attack button rather than any sort of strategy.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

29/01 - Folklore
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
21/03 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice

Just played through the free DLC they put out for this game today. Fun little side-story, although it was over rather quickly. Only a few hours. That's not really unexpected for DLC though, and I can't complain when it's free either. It was pretty fun, but nothing mind-blowing. It fills in a hole or two in the plot from before, but kind of jams in a few new things that seem a bit unnecessary too. Trying to add in stuff that could be sort of a big deal, but having to be a bit contrived about it so it doesn't impact the story of the main game. But it made for a relatively fun boss fight or two. The new lower level enemies are kind of a pain to fight against though. They float around slowly, but just fast enough that your gravity kicks seem to miss them most of the time. But despite that, it's still more Gravity Rush, so it's all good. Some really nice new environments and music too. Plus they play Raven's theme in a few of the fights. Probably my favourite song in the game.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G5)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Feb - Wild Guns
Mar - Devils Third
Mar - The Wonderful 101
Mar - Nier: Automata (platinum)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Original Wild Guns or Redux Mike?
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

(Jan - Ratchet and Clank: Q-Force)
(Feb - Life is Strange Episode 1)

Mar - Deus Ex Go

Man, I'm really noticing that I don't finish games, participating in this thread. I start them certainly (30+ started this year) though I don't get nearly enough onto my Youtube channel ... but actually finishing them is tricky. This is partly because my usual games are online (Destiny, Neverwinter, Warframe, GTAV) or with family (Kinect, Lego, Littlebigplanet, Overcooked)

Anyway, to the game - I really wanted to like Deus Ex Go. I do like this series from Square Enix, the graphics and audio are very much in keeping with the established aesthetics and it's mostly intuitive. However, I ended up feeling just a little hard done by. Some of the solutions required knowledge of the game mechanics without them being properly introduced such as the 'red' robots able to disable links, or that the same power-up can turn you invisible, or remote access a station, or disable one enemy. There just seemed some puzzles that required prior knowledge of the solution but most puzzle games don't have huge replay-ability to them. It just somewhat soured the experience - kinda like Human Revolution did actually now that I think about it ...
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 2 - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
Jan 11 - very DOOM (PS4)
Jan 21 - The Last Guardian (PS4)
Jan 27 - Pokémon Sun (3DS)
Feb 9 - They Breathe (PC)
Feb 15 - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
Feb 19 - Gone Home (PS4)
Mar 11 - The Little Acre (PS4)
Mar 22 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice (PS4)

Nice little bit of DLC this. I think I'd be repeating a lot of what Scrustle said if I carried on. The plot is still as crazy as ever (I kinda like that though).
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Can I say I've beaten Isaac: AB+ if I've beaten Mom's Heart? First time ever on any system. Platinum God here I come! Maybe...
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

ratsoalbion wrote:Original Wild Guns or Redux Mike?
The original, though I really want to get my hands on redux asap. We recorded an episode on the game for our retro rewind shows over at the bit effect. Give it a listen in early May and throw me a shareplay invite if you get redux too :)
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

02/01 - Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
014/01 - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
15/01 - Owlboy (PC)
17/01 - Sid Meier's Civilization VI (PC)
04/02 - Resident Evil [Remake] (PC)
09/02 - They Breathe (PC)
11/02 - Resident Evil 2: Leon A (PS Vita)
17/02 - Resident Evil 2: Claire B (PS Vita)
23/03 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

20/1 Uncharted 4 - Moderate
20/2 Deus EX: Mankind
17/3 The Last Gaurdian

23/3 Grim Fandango

First time I played this. Loved it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

29/01 - Folklore
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
24/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending C)

This game keeps getting better and better the more I play it. I really love the directions it's been going, and this path explored a lot of very cool and interesting stuff. Still a sense there's a lot more to discover too. I'm at over 50 hours now ans still eager to keep going. I was somewhat surprised how much this path was connected to the original Nier. So much so I think that it isn't really so clear that the game can be enjoyed fully without playing that one.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

If it's any consolation that would represent only a minuscule fraction of mine.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

29/01 - Folklore
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
24/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending C)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending D)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending E)

These ones turned out to just be variations on C, so not a huge amount of extra was added. Still some interesting twists show up though. So I think that's all the major endings done, but there's one more thing left to do. I want to clear up some stuff before I go for that though.

---

Thought I would edit this and add in some more thoughts, since even though I'm not entirely done with the game, this is probably going to be the last time I mention it here, unless I decide to play it all again at some point.

Anyway, Overall I really liked the game. It's a fantastic experience, that really knows what made the original so special and does a good job of following it up. It feels fantastic to play, and it's constantly throwing new surprises at you that are great fun. It crafts an engaging story and world, especially when it comes to how it characterises the machines you come across, and all the little different ways it portrays them. The atmosphere is great too. It taps in to that desolate beauty that gives the game an eerie and mournful tone to it, but with a sense of hope and humanity to it too. The soundtrack too is fantastic, of course. It's a big part of the atmosphere, and has many great tracks. How it evolves over the game is really impressive too.

But I have to admit I never totally fell in love with it like I did the original. I don't really begrudge it for that though. That game was a perfect storm of things that hit just at the right time for me. A sequel was never going to be able to recreate that exactly. But, at the same time, I still felt satisfied with Automata, and that it did justice to the original. Even though it does have appealing and engaging characters, and it does take them to interesting places, I never quite connected with them like I did old Papa Nier and his band of misfits. Also worth mentioning is that even if the original is more special to me, Automata definitely plays a whole lot better. Moment to moment, it's definitely the superior experience in that regard.

I think path C was my favourite part of the game. That's where the plot thickens a whole lot, and most of the big surprises come. Perhaps the reason I didn't feel like adding more thoughts before after D and E is because they were perhaps a bit anti-climactic. I got the impression that there was going to be more than there was. Not that I felt like it didn't conclude properly. But still, despite having five major endings, there's only really two entirely distinct campaigns through the game.

Now I have to wonder what's next for Platinum and Yoko Taro. I feel like this marks the end of an era for Platinum, where they have been knee-deep in making multiple projects for other people, rather than their own stuff. They've still got that one RPG based on some smartphone series coming out. But that seems like a smaller side-project, and aside from that, they've been very quiet about what they're up to. With how rocky this period has turned out to be, it must have changed the way they approach projects, and I bet they're really eager to make something original too. As for Taro, this is the first time he's got real recognition for his games. Finally climbed up out of being a director for incredibly niche, janky, low-budget games. So will his games get bigger budgets and more technical expertise now? Will he want to continue Nier at some point? Will he do another Drakengard? Or maybe something different? I'm very eager to find out.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

And a very hard one to break.