Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ColinAlonso

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by ColinAlonso »

Spoiler: show
Jan 2 - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
Jan 11 - very DOOM (PS4)
Jan 21 - The Last Guardian (PS4)
Jan 27 - Pokémon Sun (3DS)
Feb 9 - They Breathe (PC)
Feb 15 - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
Feb 19 - Gone Home (PS4)
Mar 11 - The Little Acre (PS4)
Mar 22 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice (PS4)
Mar 27 - Mega Man (3DS)
Apr 2 – Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Android)

This is my least favourite Ace Attorney so far. It just doesn't hit any of the high points in the first three games, even if it isn't as bad as the circus case in the second. I think it's something in the writing and setup for the cases, it doesn't seem as polished and I was confused as to some of the directions the court went during the cases. I really liked the new characters though and do look forward to seeing them again in subsequent games. (Having said that, I preferred Ema in the bonus case in the first game, she just annoyed me here).

For anyone who has played the series, should I track down a copy of Ace Attorney Investigations or continue on to the fifth game (in 3/4 months)?
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ColinAlonso wrote: April 3rd, 2017, 11:34 pmFor anyone who has played the series, should I track down a copy of Ace Attorney Investigations or continue on to the fifth game (in 3/4 months)?
The Edgeworth game? Yeah, that one is pretty fun. Think I enjoyed that more than I am Dual Destinies (which I still haven't finished, think I've reached the last case though)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Thanks Flabyo!

Anyway back to the completed games
Jan 11 - very DOOM (PS4)
Feb 19 - Gone Home (PS4)
Mar 27 - Mega Man (3DS)
Apr 4 Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)

My second favourite Uncharted. Just giving more of what I wanted, light, fun Hollywood-esqe entertainment.

I'll just say a few quick points. Nate and Elena's relationship is pretty well done here, my flatmate kept pointing out how cute they were together. The stealth, while simple, was a good way of exploring the larger gunfight areas and my preferred way of dealing with enemies. Its less reliant or as focused on the big set pieces that the third game really wanted to show off with (this is a good thing, I consider that to be a reason why it was a bit of a mess). Its probably a bit too long.

Given it is mentioned above, I somewhat agree with Andrew on the epilogue. For me, Uncharted is a series that doesn't rely on heavy emotions, as such I found the ending before the epilogue satisfactory.
That's Jameson selling the business to Nate and Elena, and them going into legitimate treasure hunting
The epilogue therefore felt unnecessary and didn't have much of an impact.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 11:45 pm Psyvariar: Complete Edition - PS2 via PS3 (PSN)

And if you still have your old PS2 packed away somewhere, I'd say grab a copy of Psyvariar: Complete Edition. There are PAL versions floating around out there if you don't feel like setting up a Japanese PSN account.
Yeah I found the PAL edition last year. I love what I've played from it so far. It changes dense bullet patterns into dense scoring opportunities.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Another recommendation for Psyvariar: CE.
PAL version has 60Hz too so all good.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Michiel K wrote: April 5th, 2017, 10:14 pmYeah I found the PAL edition last year. I love what I've played from it so far. It changes dense bullet patterns into dense scoring opportunities.
Very beautiful, death-dealing bullet patterns! Sooooo good!

Until I can get my copy of the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil up and running (I switched to Mac many years ago, and while there are work-arounds, it's still a bit tricky), Psyvariar fulfils a certain danmaku gap in my collection.

Beautiful, pretty death.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

ColinAlonso wrote: April 5th, 2017, 9:54 pmGiven it is mentioned above, I somewhat agree with Andrew on the epilogue.
Hehe, might want to read my full rationale in the podcast recording thread before you agree to something you can't take back.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

February 18th - The Witness (PS4)
February 26th - Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
March 13th - Dishonored 2 (PS4)
April 5th - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

What can I say, already a very strong GOTY candidate, it's right up there with Witcher 3 and MGS5 in a three way fight for my favourite open world game ever. Breathtaking graphics and world building, coupled with amazing combat. Looking forward to the inevitable C&R episode!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

AndrewBrown wrote: April 6th, 2017, 4:35 am Hehe, might want to read my full rationale in the podcast recording thread before you agree to something you can't take back.
Ah I see, your points on it are centered on Nate's characterisation and actions. Fair enough.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 11 - very DOOM (PS4)
Feb 19 - Gone Home (PS4)
Mar 27 - Mega Man (3DS)
Apr 4 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Apr 6 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

First time playing through it.

I can't shake the feeling that if I played through it as a teenager when it was released, I would have devoured it, completed as many of the sidequests as possible and loved it. But now, I only took those that interested me straight away, leaving the game a little light (I get that this is my fault.) Also I found that the four dungeons are satisfactory but nothing special.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Ratchet and Clank: Q-Force
Feb - Life is Strange Episode 1
Mar - Deus Ex Go
Okays, so I'm picking up the pace a little for April.

Apr - Murdered: Soul Suspect (Xbox One)

On paper this game seems right up my street - 3rd person survival horror lite with things to solve. In actuality, it doesn't quite gel. There is definitely some thought gone into this game and the premise of being a ghost investigating your murder based in Salem really allows the history to play into it. The abilities of the character aren't too beyond the realms of the world created, and do tie into the ending quite nicely, but the ending is essentially a long QTE and if you get anything wrong you have to work through the whole thing again. If you know of any horror tropes, the ending can also be guessed very early on, though I will admit one twist took my by surprise. I'd managed to collect a good majority of the collectables but I was really getting a sense that the number of collectibles was there to pad the game out (I clocked 9 hours on this game and really was not hurrying through), and just couldn't raise the enthusiasm to spend another couple of hours rooting out everything for the 100% - it was also possible to solve the crime scenes without getting all the evidence, which is counted for the completion. Whilst it was nice that some thought had gone into the 'why don't ghosts sink into the floor' question, the area gating was just a little too obvious, and the graphics were standard for the Unreal Engine. Wasn't a bad game, certainly wasn't great.

Apr - Defense Grid 2 (Xbox One)

This is complete in that I've made it through the story but there are a lot of achievements left. I don't mind this - most tower defense games are ones that I'll dip into for a few days then leave alone for a while, and this is a very good example of a TD game. Graphics are good, though I preferred the art style from DG1 more but there are many more options on gameplay than previously and there are now multi-player options. There is also a little more variety in the map types now as the team are able to try out different options such as levels that change mid way through (by player command or otherwise) and the lore of that universe is actually explored a little more (no Glados DLC yet though ...)Like Murdered, this was a Games with Gold pickup but this is one that I would have happily bought in any case

Apr - Opus: The search for Earth (Android)

Having completed Deus Ex Go, I was looking for another puzzler type game for on the go sessions and stumbled across this. You are a robot on a orbital telescope scanning the stars to find the lost planet of Earth and the gameplay is essentially looking for the next planet with which to advance the story. Graphics are simple but effective and there is a nice interaction between the story progress and how it affects the orbital station and your viewpoint. Can't say anything for the sound on this as I played through it with it turned down mostly (being in train stations and the like) but the bit I heard sounded appropriately atmospheric. It is more of a story but if you are looking for something mobile that isn't just match-3 or tap tap, then this may be worth a look, particularly for anyone on the Amazon Underground as it's available for free there
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

5th January - Arkham Origins (Wii U)
12th January - The End of the World (Android)
18th January - Rayman Legends (Wii U)
31st January - Light House (Android)
1st February - Where shadows slumber (Android)
9th February - Pikmin 3 - Story mode (Wii U)
19th February - New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)

7th April - Deus Ex Go (Android)

The third Square Enix Go title I've played. Not as atmospheric or rewarding as Lara Croft Go or as aesthetically pleasing as the gorgeous Hitman Go, but like those games it did do a great job of capturing the spirit of Deus Ex (in its modern guise) in a completely reworked gaming style.

Some devious ways to sneak past people, hack modules and the final level gave you a choice to make, like the core series.

Think these Deus Ex games will probably date very, very quickly (I'd argue they already have) but I'm glad I played it. Lacks the replay value those two seemed to have so I'd recommend the other two over this one.

Interesting score again though. All 3 Go scores are really good, but especially the latter two titles.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

ReprobateGamer wrote: March 22nd, 2017, 4:14 pm (Jan - Ratchet and Clank: Q-Force)
(Feb - Life is Strange Episode 1)

Mar - Deus Ex Go

Man, I'm really noticing that I don't finish games, participating in this thread. I start them certainly (30+ started this year) though I don't get nearly enough onto my Youtube channel ... but actually finishing them is tricky. This is partly because my usual games are online (Destiny, Neverwinter, Warframe, GTAV) or with family (Kinect, Lego, Littlebigplanet, Overcooked)

Anyway, to the game - I really wanted to like Deus Ex Go. I do like this series from Square Enix, the graphics and audio are very much in keeping with the established aesthetics and it's mostly intuitive. However, I ended up feeling just a little hard done by. Some of the solutions required knowledge of the game mechanics without them being properly introduced such as the 'red' robots able to disable links, or that the same power-up can turn you invisible, or remote access a station, or disable one enemy. There just seemed some puzzles that required prior knowledge of the solution but most puzzle games don't have huge replay-ability to them. It just somewhat soured the experience - kinda like Human Revolution did actually now that I think about it ...
Can't disagree with any of that really, though as I'd played the other Go games I sorta knew what most of those mechanics did. Had NO idea the blue shockwave pickup let you kill people until the penultimate level though! Would have made it a LOT easier if I'd been aware of that sooner...
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

seansthomas wrote: April 7th, 2017, 9:24 am
Can't disagree with any of that really, though as I'd played the other Go games I sorta knew what most of those mechanics did. Had NO idea the blue shockwave pickup let you kill people until the penultimate level though! Would have made it a LOT easier if I'd been aware of that sooner...
The Tomb raider Go seems the most polished and inituitive of the three currently available. I'm impressed you got that far into Deus Ex Go without using the long distance shots - I wouldn't have got that far without finding that one out (mostly by random tapping I think ...)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Any shouts on the next 'Go' game? I think Resident Evil would make a good one.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Given what's going on with Square at the moment, a Marvel comics one seems quite likely.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: April 7th, 2017, 12:22 pm Any shouts on the next 'Go' game? I think Resident Evil would make a good one.
...Is nothing sacred anymore? Don't even joke about that.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ha I've still got that game, it wasn't so bad!