Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by ratsoalbion »

:D
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Stanshall wrote: May 19th, 2017, 4:52 pm
Scrustle wrote: May 19th, 2017, 9:38 am
Spoiler: show
05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
14/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending A)
20/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending B)
21/03 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice
24/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending C)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending D)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending E)
22/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
27/04 - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (NG+ level)
28/04 - Kamiko
05/05 - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
06/05 - Yakuza 0
09/05 - Forza Motorsport 6: Porsche Anthology
12/05 - Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels
19/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (150cc)

It's Mario Kart! Except deluxe! That means it's got squids and a proper battle mode this time.

Although, is it just me, or does this game "Mario Kart" you more than the original version? I don't remember the game being quite so mean when it came to hammering you with multiple setbacks in a row on the Wii U version. Still a fun time though.
I think it's the ability to carry two items which makes for the absolute shaftery. I half laugh it off and half want to climb down the phone lines and punt a man in the dick.
the computer is more than happy to hit you with a lightning bolt immediately after you pick up a double item cube

blatant cheating
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Order: 1886

Hated it at first, but by the end I was really enjoying it. All the good work was then undone by the qte-heavy finale.

I'm a bit confused as to why I disliked Uncharted 4 and quite liked this one.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: May 17th, 2017, 11:05 pm 18th January Infinite Warfare Xbox One[/b]

Easily my favourite Call Of Duty Campaign I've played (FYI I have not played Black OPs 2 or 3). Great fun for a franchise that isn't usually my cup of tea.
23rd Jan

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 2

Brilliant however I do feel that my decisions are based on my previous experiences with Clem which are not relevant here. If you've played it you'll know what I mean. But it is fantastic.

The Bunker

Probably the worst game I have played this gen. Awful, awful game. I can only best describe it as a videogame made by people who have never played videogames. Everything about it was bad. Infuriating controls, instafail sections that were pure luck that you passed. I wouldn't even recommend downloading it when it appears on PS+ or Games With Gold.

Would be a great Cane And Rinse Episode though :)[/quote]

Resident Evil 7 Playstation 4

Really enjoy it and would recommend[/quote]

17th Feb Doom Xbox One

Solid 8/10 for me. It outstayed its welcome but was fun none the less[/quote]

Bioshock Remastered PS4

Glad I've finally ticked this off my pile of shame after all these years. The last boss reminded me of Metroid Primes final boss for some reason. Looking forward to listening to the show now.[/quote]

March 3Rd

Batman Arkham VR

Very good, just wish there was more of it![/quote

Rez Infinite PSVR

Acts 1-4 were amazing but I thought 5 was a bit of a let down. I obviously miss the point of it somehow

Area X is absolutely amazing though and apart from a bit in Arkham my highlight of PSVR so far. Would love a game based on Area X
[/quote]

The Walking Dead The New Frontier Season 3 Episode 3.

Quite disappointed in this episode I have to say. There was great momentum, cast and story built up in the two episodes previous and an excellent cliff hanger which fizzles out in episode 3. I was most annoyed about a character becoming pissed off with me when I killed someone instead of letting them turn
[/quote]

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 4

Telltale have lost the plot this series. Some of the choices in this episode are absolutely ridiculous, I actually let one run out as I didn't feel able to make it leading to a game over screen. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm pretty sure they've never tied that to a major decision before?, mind you I have always never shied from making any decisions. Clementine might as well not be there and one scene with her left me scratching my head as the way she acts in that is something that ''my'' Clementine would never even think about let alone want to do what is discussed.
[/quote]

What Remains Of Edith Finch

An interesting "game", I enjoyed it in parts but also had a few questions left at the end of it. I think I'd better play Gone Home now for some kind of comparison.
[/quote]

Gone Home

It was alright, I've preferred What Remains Of Edith Finch and Virginia to be honest. I'll download the show now.
[/quote]
Injustice 2 PS4

Jolly good fun. I enjoyed the story in 1 more but that doesn't mean I'm saying this has a bad story. Combat is better than 1, looking forward to seeing what the extra stuff involves and deciding who to use online.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: May 13th, 2017, 4:37 pmJan 1st - Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
Jan 8th - Shantae: Half-genie hero (XBO)
Feb 1st - Tales from the Borderlands (XBO)
Feb 6th - Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS4)
Mar 19th - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
Apr 2nd - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Apr 17th - Ryse: Son of Rome (XBO)
Apr 25th - The Sexy Brutale (XBO)
May 13th - Borderlands 2 (360)
May 21st - The Witness (XBO)

Ok, so I only saw the normal ending, and I'm some way off a 100% completion, but I think I've played all I'm ever going to play of this now. I liked it, in many ways it's incredibly clever, but it's final section trades 'clever' for 'unfair' and that leaves me a little sour on it.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Titanfall 2
Jan - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
Feb - Day of the Tentacle
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Finished all the DLC and got the Plat.
Feb - Fire Emblem Fates : Birthright
March - Dark Souls 3
March - Final Fantasy 15
April - Mass Effect Andromeda
May - Puyo Puyo Tetris
Dragon Age Inquisition - Whilst made to look completely inferior in every way by the Witcher 3, I had a lot of fun with this game. I have One more trophy to pop to get the Platinum and it's the shards one. I believe this will be the last game I platinum that has terrible collectibles.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: May 22nd, 2017, 9:47 am
May 21st - The Witness (XBO)

Ok, so I only saw the normal ending, and I'm some way off a 100% completion, but I think I've played all I'm ever going to play of this now. I liked it, in many ways it's incredibly clever, but it's final section trades 'clever' for 'unfair' and that leaves me a little sour on it.
Did you play this straight through (i.e. To the exclusion of other games), as a matter of interest? I'm a bit worried that if I start and leave it, I'll lose the flow of the puzzles, which I believe build upon each other to a great extent. It's a bit intimidating to start, I keep passing over it when selecting something to play.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Chopper wrote: May 22nd, 2017, 12:47 pm
Flabyo wrote: May 22nd, 2017, 9:47 am May 21st - The Witness (XBO)
Did you play this straight through (i.e. To the exclusion of other games), as a matter of interest? I'm a bit worried that if I start and leave it, I'll lose the flow of the puzzles, which I believe build upon each other to a great extent. It's a bit intimidating to start, I keep passing over it when selecting something to play.
Yeah, I played it through in the evenings over about a week and a half. It definitely builds on what it teaches you in layers. I've heard it compared to learning a language, it teaches you the vocabulary in parts and then expects you to be able to understand sentences by the end.

I've heard it described as a very hard game as well, which I don't think I agree with. I think a certain section of people will find it hard, and others won't. It's incredibly abstract, and the leaps of logic and deduction required will come more easily to some than others. As a computer programmer it felt similar enough to the problems I wrestle with in the day job (at least in terms of the type of thinking required, not necessarily the actual problems) that it never really stumped me for more than 20 minutes or so,

Only thing I got stuck at was... Spoiler time!
One of the maze puzzles relies on a very subtle audio cue that I wasn't picking up cause I had the window of the flat open and the ambient noise of the road outside meant I wasn't hearing it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Great info, thanks a lot!

I struggle with leaps of logic myself, but this should be an interesting experience.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Did you do the puzzle on the half sunken ship, Flabyo? That was really the only one I got totally stumped on for ages. There were a lot I got stuck on, then came back the next day with fresh eyes and solved almost immediately.
The sense of achievement lighting up every laser, then the realisation the game was far from over!
It grew to be one of my favourite games ever, I really think Blow is an absolute genius. Two of the best puzzles games of all time.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Bayonetta(PC)- I absolutely love this game what more can I say? Thanks the gods it's on PC now and I got replay it, it has a very low skill floor and a very high skill cealing, replaying it again made me appreciatte it that much more, also witch time might be one of the most satisfying game mechanics to be ever im´plemented and this time I actually used the parry which is also great! Another that struck was that this game came out the same year as Uncharted 2 a game praised for it's amazing set pieces,that statement looks like a joke if you compare the set-pieces there with the ones in this game, every boss in Bayonetta is a expectacle, the game starts at 11 and it just goes up from there. Also despite the game story being mostly gibberish I love the characters from Bayonetta to Cereza,Luka and Rodin(speaking of which Im gonna fight him this time!) they are all fun and memorable.

Im still not playing the game as I wanted but Im no longer embarassed at my performance at it, Im sure I'll be again as I get closer to infinite climax, but hey Im looking foward to it XD. Also while looking at videos of Bayo 1 on youtube I found quite a few people on the comments saying how the Bayo 2 was so inferior to the first one, which to me clashed with everything I thought about the sequel, now Im interested to hear what the cane¨&rinse issue is gonna be like.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Please don't let youtube comments sour your opinion on such a magnificent game as Bayonetta 2.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm looking forward to the upcoming episode. I only played both the Bayo games last year and despite its tighter structure, I didn't enjoy the sequel quite as much as the original game. I found the story quite confusing and dull, whereas the first game pulled me in much more. I also found that it didn't escalate in the same way because it started at 11 and didn't have anywhere to go.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Technomancer (PS4)

This was actually excellent. It did a great job with combat (not complicated, but deep enough), quests (well integrated with the world's lore), political and societal aspects of the world. There was a bit too much running from A to B to A again, but you could mitigate that by stacking quests in the same areas.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G6)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Feb - Wild Guns
Mar - Devils Third
Mar - The Wonderful 101
Mar - Nier: Automata (platinum)
Apr - Nier
May - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (platinum)
May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)

What a corker! I've not been a massive fan of NetherRealm fighting games in the past, but Injustice 2 has started turning me around. I'd been adamant that I hadn't really missed single player content in SFV, but it turns out that I really had. Story Mode, Multiverse, gear... there's so much here to tuck into if I'm not in the mood to be kicked up and down the screen online. :D

17 completions.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)

I'm used to the Gameboy variants of these games, so this was a bit of a weird treat. Expect more completions of the series tomorrow, before we record. :)

19 completions.
iNeedScissors67

Post by iNeedScissors67 »

Add Mass Effect: Andromeda to the list, just finished it. It will probably be the only Bioware game I don't play more than once.

Starting Persona 5 so I probably won't have that done for 6 months or so.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - Wii U

It's nice to get through a game that has been patiently sitting on my shelf for a few months. And overall: it's alright. The following is pretty spoiler free, but just in case:
The Good:
  • The presentation is top-notch, with a lot of effort clearly being put into it. It's a really bright and vibrant world.
  • While I don't agree with the necessity to make changes for the western release, the localisation is of a very high quality, where they got the original voice actors back to record new dialogue, so I respect that they didn't half-ass the changes.
  • The quality of music is great. It won't be to everyone's taste, but dare I say some songs won me over.
  • The session's in battle are pretty spectacular. There's a particular Duo Art with Touma and Elle that, just through their body language and expressions, surmise their personalities so perfectly.
  • I think I may have developed a little crush on Kiria... I'm not saying that with pride, simply acknowledging that she's probably my favourite character in the game.
The Bad:
  • Yes, the quality of localisation is fantastic, but there was really, especially in retrospect, no reason to make such drastic changes. I won't go into great detail about those changes, as that's what YouTube is for, and the version we got is the version we get, nothings going to change that. However, the storyline in chapter three makes so much more sense in the Japanese version, and subsequently it kind has more meaning because of it.
  • The load screens. Going from one area to another triggers a load screen... going from a cutscene back to the game triggers a load screen... finishing a battle triggers a load screen... you get the point. It's not a question of whether this game would run smoother on more powerful hardware: it would run smoother on my powerful hardware! Absolutely! You will hear the disc-spin of the Wii U as it tries so hard to keep up.
  • I love the animated cut scenes, and the music videos, so why there isn't a replay gallery to view these is beyond me. An odd omission.
The Ugly:
  • Jesus, I don't like Barry. At all. Considering all the changes they made to the game I found him far more... creepy. Maybe it's because I'm a single guy with no children, but his obsessive behaviour towards Mamori was something I found far more borderline disturbing. I get what they were trying to do, and I understand the relationship between the two characters, but geez... don't like him.
I guess if you already own a Wii U you may as well pick it up. And if you don't own a Wii U then I'm not surprised! Most people don't. :D