Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Michiel K

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by Michiel K »

7 Sept - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (Sony PlayStation)

First time I played all the way through this one and it was rather fun. Played on normal, which seemed very forgiving. The ammo crafting was cool, but Jill became a walking arsenal near the end of the game, which diminished the threat level of even Nemesis.

I also liked the decisions you had to make, like shove Nemesis off the bridge or jump yourself, resulting in different paths. Gives the game some replay value, despite it bing the first in the series to only feature a single character scenario. Dipped my toes in Mercenaries mode, which also leads me to think I'm not yet done with this game.

CATALOGED!

kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Chopper wrote: September 7th, 2017, 5:47 pm The Bunker (PS4)

I enjoyed it! Loved the Eighties feel and thought they nailed the setting and the main character. I thought it held up well, story-wise.
Spoiler: show
It went a wee bit downhill after the Air Filtration - I fear for poor Sam in his brave new world, he does not exude competence.
Obviously I am not to be trusted on these things :D
Well I'm glad you did! I'm far less trustworthy on these things, I only watched a stream of it :lol:
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

02/01 - Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
014/01 - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
15/01 - Owlboy (PC)
17/01 - Sid Meier's Civilization VI (PC)
04/02 - Resident Evil [Remake] (PC)
09/02 - They Breathe (PC)
11/02 - Resident Evil 2: Leon A (PS Vita)
17/02 - Resident Evil 2: Claire B (PS Vita)
23/03 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
22/02 - Ninja Gaiden: Black (360 - Xbox Original)
26/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
29/05 - Nier: Automata - Ending A through E (PS4)
04/06 - The Witcher (PC)
22/06 - Viewtiful Joe (GC)
26/06 - What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
04/07 - Life is Strange (PC)
17/08 - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC)
30/08 - Shovel Knight: Spector of Torment (Switch)
30/08 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
09/09 - Prey (PC)

Gets a bit rubbish towards the end, but overall, loved it. My favourite "Shock" game when it comes to level design and mechanics.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Jan - Titanfall 2 (XO)
Feb - Mass Effect 3 (X360 via XO)
Jun - TLOZ: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
Jul - Football Manager 2017 (iOS)
Aug - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
Aug – Gears of War 4 (XO)

Sep - Severed (Vita)

As a big fan of Drinkbox's Guacamelee, when it was announced that their next game was a first person dungeon crawler with touchscreen controls, I can't say I was doing somersaults at the prospect. Both the genre and the control scheme are not exactly favourites of mine, but this was Drinkbox, and the art style was an intriguingly grisly, nightmarish twist on the Guacamelee aesthetic, so I resolved to give it a fair shot.

The release arrived, accompanied by strong reviews, but I never quite clicked the 'buy' button, and I've since forgotten how it actually ended up sat on my Vita waiting patiently for me to finally dive in.

Boy am I glad I did. Severed is one the most finely crafted experiences I've had in a good long while - a tightly choreographed dance of hacks and slashes through a carnival of grim creatures all with strengths and weakness, requiring delicate management and pin point timing to progress. It also has one of the most well balanced difficulty curves you could wish for, with that fine line between light touch hand holding and self discovery being walked beautifully.

The world of Severed is also an appealingly melancholy place to spend time, and while a very small amount of Guacamelee style humour remains this game features a largely pretty grim and tragic tale that I found both engaging and truly touching.

Overall I highly recommend you check out Severed even if like me on paper it's not an instant home run. This is a very, very good video game, and one that deserves just as much praise as its more brash and heralded forebear. It's also just been released on Switch I believe, and I bet it looks and plays wonderfully on that far more expansive screen!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I got about 3/4 through Severed before my attention drifted on to someone else. Don't know why I haven't gone back because I was really, really enjoying it. Felt great slashing those monsters, I ought to finish it.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

February 18th - The Witness (PS4)
February 26th - Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
March 13th - Dishonored 2 (PS4)
April 5th - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
April 14th - Abzu (PC)
April 24th - Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PC)
April 25th - Deus Ex Mankind Divided DLC - Desperate Measures (PC)
June 11th - The Last Guardian (PS4)
June 24th - Alienation (PS4)
August 1st - Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)
August 19th - Soma (PC)
August 24th - The Turing Test (PC)
September 12th - Destiny 2 (PS4)

Well it's more destiny, but new and shiny.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Jan - Titanfall 2
Jan - Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
Feb - Day of the Tentacle
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Feb - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - Finished all the DLC and got the Plat.
Feb - Fire Emblem Fates : Birthright
March - Dark Souls 3
March - Final Fantasy 15
April - Mass Effect Andromeda
May - Puyo Puyo Tetris - Great game, even better with friends.
May - Injustice 2
June - Dragon Age Inquisition
June - Dragon Age Inquisition - The Descent
July - Yakuza 0
July - Killing Floor 2
August -Darksiders Warmastered Edition
August - Kingdom Rush
August - Kingdom Rush Frontiers
Horizon: Zero Dawn - A good friend gave me a shot of this, whoa. It's amazing, from the get go I was drawn to how good this game looks. I don't have a negative thing to say about it, the story, the world, the characters everything was excellent. Perhaps game of the year for me

Game of Thrones: A telltale game - Avoid, this is the worst game I've played this year and possibly the worst Telltale game that I've played.
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

Homeword - Deserts of Kharak

I'd never played the original series, so this was my first experience of Homeworld and I loved it. This one is a prequel to the originals and though I can't compare it, having not played them I'm defiantly going to have a go on the recently remastered versions of each.

I thought the world and atmosphere created was great and unusually for me I actually enjoyed the cinematics that open up each level. The strategic elements were nothing too out of the ordinary but still nothing to complain about either. Highly recommend.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (Steam) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One b/c)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)
06/09 - Prey (PS4)
13/09 - Destiny 2 (PS4)

Thoroughly enjoyed the campaign. Nice to have my Halo itch scratched for the first time in a few years (I didn't play 5). Will post further thoughts in the Destiny/2 thread.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(May) The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - PS4.
(June) Killing Floor 2 - PS4.
(June) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - PS4.
(June) Mass Effect:Andromeda - PS4.
(June) Nex Machina - PS4.
(July) Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Aug) Injustice:Gods Among Us -PS4.
(Aug) Shadow Warrior 2 - PS4.
(Aug) Valiant Hearts - PS4.
(Aug) Uncharted:The Lost Legacy - PS4.
(Aug) Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris - PS4.
(Sept) Game of Thrones - PS4.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

08 Jan: Crypt of the Serpent King (Xbox One, review copy, 100% achievements, one of the worst game's I've ever played)
19 Jan: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
26 Jan: Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
26 Jan: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
29 Jan: METRICO+ (Xbox One, review copy)
25 Feb: Spheroids (Xbox One, review copy, 100% achievements)
26 Feb: The Swapper (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
27 Feb: Contrast (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
3 Mar: Ghost Blade HD (Xbox One, review copy. Hard mode complete.)
11 Mar: Defense Grid 2 (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
11 Mar: 2Dark (Xbox One, review copy)
11 Mar: Sky Force Anniversary (Xbox One, all but one achievement - too grindy)
16 Mar: Sublevel Zero Redux (Xbox One, review copy - easy campaign completion only)
18 Mar: Death Squared (Xbox One, review copy)
6 Apr: Thimbleweed Park (Xbox One, review copy)
17 Apr: Mass Effect 3 (360 on Xbox One - returned for Omega & Citadel DLCs, plus Insanity run and 100% achievements)
28 Apr: Hitman GO (Windows Phone, 100% achievements)
8 Jun: LEGO Marvel Superheroes (Xbox One)
11 Jun: Beautiful Katamari (Xbox 360)
18 Jun: Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)
12 Jul: Shadow of Mordor (Xbox One, including DLC)
13 Jul: ABZU (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
18 Jul: Picross 3D Round 2 (3DS)
18 Jul: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (Xbox 360 - 100% achievements)
20 Jul: The Room and The Room Two (Android)
26 Jul: The Room Three (Android)
27 Jul: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition (Xbox One - 100% achievements)
12 Aug: Aaero (Xbox One)
13 Aug: Burrito Bison: Launcha Libre (Android)
13 Aug: Life is Strange (Xbox One)
18 Aug: Monument Valley (Android)
22 Aug: Pokémon Moon (3DS)
14 Sep: The Bridge (Xbox One - 100% achievements)

I don't know why, but I am utterly failing to get invested in any long or narrative-heavy games at the moment. For whatever reason I need simpler experiences that appeal to the logical side of my brain. Thus I went back to The Bridge.

It's a Jonathan Blow-esque (Blowlike?) puzzler that quite happily apes the basic formula of Braid - navigate to the exit using a combination of rewinding time and increasingly weird physics. But the story is a lot less intrusive on the core gameplay, which is nice when I don't feel like dealing with one. I like the hand-sketched look and the Escher-inspired physics, and the controls are tight, allowing for puzzles in which the slightest rotational tweak can produce a different result.

It's not going to blow anyone away (ahaha) but if you find it cheap or sitting in your download queue untouched, it's a peaceful headscratcher of a puzzle game that can help settle an untidy mind.

Speaking of Mr. Blow, I really should start The Witness.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I recently uninstalled The Witness after 3 months or more of it looking out at me expectantly. I just could never bring myself to start it up.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Chopper wrote: September 15th, 2017, 3:51 pm I recently uninstalled The Witness after 3 months or more of it looking out at me expectantly. I just could never bring myself to start it up.
But....!? It's amazing. I mean it's fucking amazing.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ahh, I just feel like I wouldn't be able to play anything else while I was playing it (as I understand the puzzles all build on each other). Plus, I am proper thick.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Chopper wrote: September 15th, 2017, 8:26 pm Ahh, I just feel like I wouldn't be able to play anything else while I was playing it (as I understand the puzzles all build on each other). Plus, I am proper thick.
I totally understand this. That's why I think it's now or never for me, given that my brain seems unusually puzzle hungry this month. I'm going to start it tomorrow.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen(pc)- So this game/expansion has taken over my life to the point I`ve been dedicating almsot all my free time to playing this, I might not have mentioned it before but while I liked enemy unknown I absolutelly loved XCOM 2 the only thing the really put a damper on this was the game deleting my Ironman file halfway through and making me restart for scratch, gameplaywise however it`s stellar it was streamlinned in all the right ways and additions such as concealment were genius, some people didnt like the timed missions but I did because it kept the pace up.

War of the chosen is a full blown expansion to the game and it`s brood war/Frozen Throne level of quality, it`s bunch of content that completelly changes the game, all in great ways as far as Im concerned. First off you have the addition of the Chosen that are boss type enemies that can randomlly show up on missions and not only that they use the nemesis system, meaning that they have especific weaknesess and strengths and they can acquire new skills to counter you and so on. Let me tell fighting one of these when they have the ability to teleport every time they get hit or when they dont trigger overwatch can be nightmarish. AlsoI love their personalities, they are constantly taunting you on comms and during battle it`s really fun. It`s this really interesting dynamic because now you not only have to worry about them on missions but on a strategy level it`s another consideration because you`re hunting them and they are hunting you.
They also added 3 new resistance factions you can ally with, which boils down to 3 new special units you can have, they are: The reapers that are masters of stealth that can scout ahead and even kill enemies without being revealed, The Skirmishers that are versitile soldiers that can attack twice in one turn and use a grapple hook to move and pull enemies closer and the Templar that are melee psychic warrior whose power grows as they kill enemies being able to do all kinds of crazy stuff.
These factions also give you special orders as you work with them, these are buffs on both the strategic and tatical sphere like granting addition contacts or supplies or like making it more likelly that soldiers you bleed out instead of die simply dying when shot. They also add new type of mission that are the covert ops, which allows you to send soldiers that are doing nothing on covert missions that wield rewards, for those who played Peace Walker or MGSV it`s similar to that.
On top of that the game also added a Fire Emblem style of buddy system that as you send the same soldiers together in missions their bond develops and they can be bondmates wielding a bunch of benefits like say the dual strike ability that allows you to attack a unit with two attacks at once but using only one action, they also added a mental health meter that allows you to measure how close to snapping your soldiers are and depending how a mission goes they might develop phobias like a crippling fear of fire or of psychic attacks.
And on top of that they also added a third faction that`s both agaisnt you and the allies in the form of "the lost" which are these zombie like creatures that have their own set of mechanics that make them interesting to fight especially when you throw the alliens into the mix and they added several new maps and missions including a way better version of the retaliation mission.

So yeah I really like this expansion, I had a blast playing it I thought it would be way to hard especially given that I havent touched the game since beginning of last year but they added enough features to help you that the difficulty balances out and now you can customize a bunch of things in the campaign to your liking making it easier or harder, like doubling the lenght of the avatar project or making it so grenades no longer are the sure amount of damage they used to be. What more can I say I just really like this game, go play it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

kintaris wrote: September 16th, 2017, 12:25 am
Chopper wrote: September 15th, 2017, 8:26 pm Ahh, I just feel like I wouldn't be able to play anything else while I was playing it (as I understand the puzzles all build on each other). Plus, I am proper thick.
I totally understand this. That's why I think it's now or never for me, given that my brain seems unusually puzzle hungry this month. I'm going to start it tomorrow.
That's true enough, it doesn't leave much room in your brain for anything else, but if you've got a Vita I found it was the perfect wind down game to have an hour of in bed before sleep. Really relaxing.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: August 14th, 2017, 8:30 pmJan 1st - Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
Jan 8th - Shantae: Half-genie hero (XBO)
Feb 1st - Tales from the Borderlands (XBO)
Feb 6th - Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS4)
Mar 19th - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
Apr 2nd - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Apr 17th - Ryse: Son of Rome (XBO)
Apr 25th - The Sexy Brutale (XBO)
May 13th - Borderlands 2 (360)
May 21st - The Witness (XBO)
May 25th - Injustice 2 : story mode, all paths (PS4)
July 17th - Horizon : Zero Dawn (PS4)
August 7th - Splatoon 2 : Campaign (Switch)
August 12th - For Honor : Campaign (XBO)
August 14th - Attack on Titan : Wings of Freedom (XBO)
September 15th - Path of Exile (XBO)

Finished the ten chapters that make up the games main story mode last night. It does get a little bit grindy towards the very end, but not excessively so. And for something that cost me absolutely nothing at all...

I’ll take a break from it before going into the post game content, which looks like it might easily be as many hours of content as the story mode had. I’ll probably buy some extra inventory slots or something, I feel pretty bad playing so many hours without sending them any money. The game is very honest in that there genuinely is no need to spend any money at all to play the whole thing.

Basically, if you have even a passing interest in playing a Diablo style game, this one is one of the better ones out there, and you don’t need to put down any money at all...
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (Steam) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)
31/08 - Double Dragon Neon (Xbox One b/c)
31/08 - Double Dragon IV (PS4)
06/09 - Prey (PS4)
13/09 - Destiny 2 (PS4)
12/09 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth + (Switch)
14/09 - Blade Runner (1997, PC)

I completely forgot to put Isaac on here. I finally got to tuck into that, after the long-awaited EU release dropped through my letterbox. Not much to say; it's Isaac, in its most up-to-date form, on a portable system. Bliss!

Blade Runner, I played for Issue 287, and will gladly regale my thoughts on there. In short: surprisingly good and not-so-good things to say about it. SPOILERS! ;)
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.
(Jan) Dear Esther - PS4.
(Jan) Virginia - PS4. (platinum).
(Jan) The London Heist - PSVR
(Feb) Flashback(2013) - PSN.
(Feb) Rain - PSN.
(Feb) Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - PSN.
(Feb) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - PS3.
(Feb) Far Cry Primal - PS4.
(Feb) Bayonetta 2 - WiiU.
(Feb) Sniper Elite 3 - PS4.
(Mar) Life is Strange - PS4.
(Mar) Nier Automata - PS4.
(Mar) Halo 2:Anniversary - XB1.
(Mar) Guns, Gore & Canoli - PS4.
(Apr) Alien Breed Ep.3:Descent - Xbox 360.
(Apr) Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4.
(May) Battleborn - PS4.
(May) Diablo 3:RoS - PS4.
(May) Deadpool - PS4.
(May) The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - PS4.
(June) Killing Floor 2 - PS4.
(June) Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - PS4.
(June) Mass Effect:Andromeda - PS4.
(June) Nex Machina - PS4.
(July) Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4.
(Aug) Zombi - PS4.
(Aug) Injustice:Gods Among Us -PS4.
(Aug) Shadow Warrior 2 - PS4.
(Aug) Valiant Hearts - PS4.
(Aug) Uncharted:The Lost Legacy - PS4.
(Aug) Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris - PS4.
(Sept) Game of Thrones - PS4.
(Sept) EVE:Gunjack - PSVR.