Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I just "completed" The Witness.

I didn't really know what to expect going into this game, but I was quickly won over by its layered ingenuity. The way in which the game succeeds at teaching and leading the player without a single tutorial is absolutely marvelous. I have a hard time imagining how the developers managed to put it all together. It must have taken a lot of time and effort to design and polish it all, and I think it might become a source of inspiration for other developers in the future. Or maybe I'm just easily impressed!

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I went looking for tips two or three times over the course of the game, although I was genuinely stuck at least once (the blue tetris blocks just scrambled my brain).

All in all, quite the experience. Probably my favourite 3D puzzle game (yes, I like it more than Portal). Onto the Challenge area!
Stanshall wrote: July 31st, 2017, 10:49 am I remembered getting really into RE4 Mercenaries on the Wii. It's so stressful but exhilarating, trying to essentially master the environment and make every single bullet count exactly as you need it to, and deal with every enemy in the perfect order to maximise your score. I must have replayed the village level a few hundred times. It gives me the shivers imagining attempting it again!
Oh hey, I'm not alone, nice!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Jan - Titanfall 2 (XO)
Feb - Mass Effect 3 (X360 via XO)
Jun - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)

Jul - Football Manager 2017 (iOS)

My annual addiction to the iOS version of Football Manager has finally abated having won every tournament my Liverpool side can possibly win. It barely changes every year this, but still I get sucked in. It's essentially like Champ Man/Football Manager used to be back in the day before it all got way too in depth and complex (for me at least!). Transfers, scouting, training, match tactics, bit of player management - that's about it. It's also some of the best value gaming I get in a year as for the £7 it costs I sink a silly amount of hours in!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Spoiler: show
18th January Infinite Warfare Xbox One[/b]

Easily my favourite Call Of Duty Campaign I've played (FYI I have not played Black OPs 2 or 3). Great fun for a franchise that isn't usually my cup of tea.

23rd Jan

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 2

Brilliant however I do feel that my decisions are based on my previous experiences with Clem which are not relevant here. If you've played it you'll know what I mean. But it is fantastic.

The Bunker

Probably the worst game I have played this gen. Awful, awful game. I can only best describe it as a videogame made by people who have never played videogames. Everything about it was bad. Infuriating controls, instafail sections that were pure luck that you passed. I wouldn't even recommend downloading it when it appears on PS+ or Games With Gold.

Would be a great Cane And Rinse Episode though :)

Resident Evil 7 Playstation 4

Really enjoy it and would recommend

17th Feb Doom Xbox One

Solid 8/10 for me. It outstayed its welcome but was fun none the less

Bioshock Remastered PS4

Glad I've finally ticked this off my pile of shame after all these years. The last boss reminded me of Metroid Primes final boss for some reason. Looking forward to listening to the show now.

March 3Rd

Batman Arkham VR

Very good, just wish there was more of it!

Rez Infinite PSVR

Acts 1-4 were amazing but I thought 5 was a bit of a let down. I obviously miss the point of it somehow

Area X is absolutely amazing though and apart from a bit in Arkham my highlight of PSVR so far. Would love a game based on Area X

The Walking Dead The New Frontier Season 3 Episode 3.

Quite disappointed in this episode I have to say. There was great momentum, cast and story built up in the two episodes previous and an excellent cliff hanger which fizzles out in episode 3. I was most annoyed about a character becoming pissed off with me when I killed someone instead of letting them turn

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 4

Telltale have lost the plot this series. Some of the choices in this episode are absolutely ridiculous, I actually let one run out as I didn't feel able to make it leading to a game over screen. I'm happy to be proved wrong but I'm pretty sure they've never tied that to a major decision before?, mind you I have always never shied from making any decisions. Clementine might as well not be there and one scene with her left me scratching my head as the way she acts in that is something that ''my'' Clementine would never even think about let alone want to do what is discussed.

What Remains Of Edith Finch

An interesting "game", I enjoyed it in parts but also had a few questions left at the end of it. I think I'd better play Gone Home now for some kind of comparison.

Gone Home

It was alright, I've preferred What Remains Of Edith Finch and Virginia to be honest. I'll download the show now.

Injustice 2 PS4

Jolly good fun. I enjoyed the story in 1 more but that doesn't mean I'm saying this has a bad story. Combat is better than 1, looking forward to seeing what the extra stuff involves and deciding who to use online.

May 30th The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 5

Dreadful end to a really, really disappointing season. I have no idea what Telltale were thinking during this season it has been all over the place. The first two episodes they released back to back were excellent but it just goes to pieces in episode 3. Real shame as there were some good characters in there. I would not recommend unless cheap and I'm a huge fan of season 1 and 2. There will be a season 4 and I won't be rushing to pick this up like I have every season so far.

There was no point Clem being in it at all being brutally honest. Her story ark doesn't even get resolved. Annoyed! :lol:
[/quote]
August 1st Horizon Zero Dawn.

My game of the year so far. Not played anything else really since picking it up. Amazing. Looking forward to the DLC now.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 Jul: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
29 Jul: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
01 Aug: Life Is Strange (PS4)
OK - so now I can listen to the podcast...
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (Steam) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)

Finally, after owning, but barely playing UMvC3 on three different systems, I got around to completing Arcade Mode... on Easy, using a few continues. Kinda feel like that'll do until MvC: Infinite is released in 6 weeks or so. ;)

I picked up Splatoon 2 because of the good things I'd heard about the single player in the first game. Truth be told, I was a little disappointed. It's a campaign replete with a good few ingenious 'Nintendo moments', but my overriding memory having just finished the game is one of frustration. I'm sure my 3D platforming capability was a big factor, but I died a lot to gravity. That meant repeating whole levels on more than one occasion because I slipped (or was I pushed?) off a platform right at the end.

Time will tell whether the multiplayer will grab me as it seems to have so many others, but it's a bit of a thumbs down (or at least a 'thumbs sideways') to the single player from me. I'm sure Nintendo are devastated. :P
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ve not finished the single player in Splatoon 2 yet, but it’s defintely missing something of the spark of the first games one. I’ve not put my finger on what it is yet though.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

I've found Splatoon 2's Hero Mode to be mostly identical to the original, barring the ability to bring any weapon into any level. Pretty disappointing overall, especially the final boss which doesn't hold a candle to the brilliant original, but that's probably necessitated by the boss needing to be beatable with all available weapons. It was possible to fight the first's final boss with a Charger or a Roller using Amiibo, and you could really tell the encounter was not designed with those weapons in mind at all, especially the Roller.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Interesting. I haven't sold my Splatoon 1 disc yet so maybe I'll have a quick blast through of the campaign before I let it go.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Easily beatable in 4 or 5 hours if you're not concerned with getting all the collectibles.
James

Post by James »

Interesting. I know it's possible to go back to each of S2's levels and replay with your weapon of choice, but I really can't imagine wanting to do that. Would be interesting to see how something entirely different worked though (like Dualies in a Charger level).

Played a couple of rounds of Regular Battle earlier, which was fun... for a multiplayer game. ;)
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

If you beat every Hero Mode level with a weapon then you can use that weapon in regular multiplayer matches. The Hero Shot, at least, is worth unlocking, since you've probably beaten most of the levels with it already, so it's not hard to get the last handful done. It's a reskinned Splattershot paired with Burst Bombs and Splashdown, pretty great for Turf Wars IMO.
James

Post by James »

I've just taken a look at my stats. The Hero Shot is undoubtedly the one used most in the campaign, but even for that I've only completed 9 out of 32 levels with it! At 5-10 minutes per level, and 23 levels to go through, that's... 23 x 7.5... carry the one... never gonna happen I'm afraid.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

It doesn't take that long once you've beaten the level once and know how to do it. I can beat every level in two worlds on the half-hour bus ride between jobs. Most levels are 3-5 minutes long, with some unfortunate exceptions (any level where you have to ride a squeegee can go to hell).
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment(Pc)- Another great campaign for Shovel Knight, on mechanics alone I think I prefer Specter Knight the most out of every character so far, once you get the hang of it there's alot of cool stuff you can do to keep momentum like dashing up then down to kill an enemy and grind railing foward, it's pretty cool and the rebuilt levels work really well with the new mechanics. Storywise though it's a bit weak and yeah I know it's a plataformer but both Shovel Knight and plague of Shadows had pretty good and charming stories, specter's however lacks abit of charm, there's still neat moments but overall it's a bit more "serious" so it's not as fun,also the ending is pretty underwhelming.
But yeah happy for more Shovel Knight and Im really interested to see what they're gonna do for the last campaign starring King Knight.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Ratchet and Clank: Q-Force (PS3)
Feb - Life is Strange Episode 1 (Xbox One)
Mar - Deus Ex Go (Android)
Apr - Murdered: Soul Suspect (Xbox One)
Apr - Defense Grid 2 (Xbox One)
Apr - Opus: The search for Earth (Android)
Jun - Littlebigplanet 2 (PS3)
Jul - A World Of Keflings (Xbox 360)

Another game finished with young daughters in tow - the story missions at least. The game very much is designed on 'how can we combine Xbox avatars with Minecraft for the younger audience'; ultimately playing out as a colony building game - mine the resource, convert the resource into a building part, put the part down according to the blueprint of the building you want to make.
Whilst I was fairly indifferent to the game, both my daughters loved it. They got to play as their avatars and got to do things with fairly immediate results. The rough story is that you are found and have to assist the Keflings in building towns in ice, green hill and desert areas. The Keflings can be used as miners or transporters to automate the process somewhat (which is definitely needed!), or are needed to manage contruction buildings but any character Kefling can't be given roles other than helping to carry building parts

The controls are clunky and there are a few interface issues - the camera can't be moved from it's viewpoint so it's possible for buildings to block items you need, and the switching between blueprints is not designed for people with small hands (hard to reach the bumper and trigger keys ...). It's also not explained at any point that some buildings can only be build around existing structures - the only clue is that the squares in the blueprint for the existing building are blacked out - which certainly added some minutes to the overall playtime. To be fair, we've only completed the story within the game - we now have freedom to build however we wish. Leaving the girls alone for an hour or so after the story complete essentially had them strip mining one of the areas - the only building was the piles of resources!

Sensibly further additions are as separate dlc areas as adding to the existing worlds would make it even more cluttered but I can't bring myself to spend the money on these just yet, though there is a neat little easter egg if you own the game IloMilo. I do need to replay the last hour or so of the story mission on my own profile to get the story end achievement as we got it on the girls profiles (we only have two controllers currently but there is 4 player co-op available).

It won't make much of an imprint on the annuls of video game history but it does mostly achieve what it set out to do and it certainly was well received by my children
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator
Jan - Mad Max
Jan - Streets of Rage 2
Jan - Guardian Heroes
Jan - Xcom 2 (+dlc)
Jan - Titanfall 2 (+online G6)
Jan - Shining Force
Jan - Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Jan - Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online
Jan - Mr Driller (2500ft)
Feb - Earthworm Jim Special Edition
Feb - Baku Baku
Feb - Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Feb - Resident Evil 7
Feb - Fire Emblem Heroes
Feb - The Last Guardian
Feb - Mercs
Feb - Doom
Feb - Wild Guns
Mar - Devils Third
Mar - The Wonderful 101
Mar - Nier: Automata (platinum)
Apr - Nier
May - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (platinum)
May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
May - 1943: The Battle of Midway
May - Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
May - Soul Calibur
May - Super Hang-On
May - Alex Kidd in Miracle World
May - Magic Sword
May - Soul Calibur 2 HD Online (arcade and main weapon master quest)
Jun - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Jun - Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late
Jul - Yakuza 0
Jul - R-Type Dimensions
Jul - State of Decay: Year-One
Jul - Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Jul - Gears of War 4
Jul - Guwange (multiple modes, all three characters)
Jul - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Jul - Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
Aug - Shining Force 2

I think I've reached a point I could happily walk away from video games now. No doubt I'll continue but this marks the point I can say without any haze that I've done it. Go me!
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

20/1 Uncharted 4 - Moderate
20/2 Deus EX: Mankind
17/3 The Last Gaurdian
23/3 Grim Fandango
June Tales from the Borderlands
26/6 Life is strange
3/7 Shadowrun returns iO
13/7 Horizen : Zero dawn

29/7 Until dawn

Realy enjoyed the concept of this game. Performance wise I think it starts a bit shacky but once the treats to the characters comes to the for they become vastly improved. The story is like a horror movie mega mix , a bit teen slasher , bit saw , bit hills have eyes. The twists in films that until dawn emulates have to be a shock to make the film stand up, unfortunately I saw the twists coming a mile off. I hope a sequel to this uses the same template as this one but have a more focused story that does not borrow from too many sources at once.
James

Post by James »

06/01 - Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
08/01 - The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Steam)
09/01 - Sorcery!: The Shamutanti Hills (Android)
15/01 - Donkey Kong Jr. (3DS)
15/01 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (3DS)
15/01 - Warioware, Inc: Mega Microgame$! (3DS)
16/01 - Donkey Kong (3DS)
27/01 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (PS3)
10/02 - They Breathe (Steam)
10/02 - Undertale (Steam)
28/02 - Nioh (PS4)
20/03 - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
06/04 - Fast RMX (Switch)
09/04 - Graceful Explosion Machine (Switch)
17/04 - Mr. Shifty (Switch)
01/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
22/05 - Injustice 2 (PS4) (Story Mode)
25/05 - Double Dragon (PS4)
25/05 - Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PS4)
26/05 - Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (MAME/RetroPie)
26/05 - Super Double Dragon (MAME/RetroPie)
29/05 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (Steam) (Story Mode)
20/06 - Yellow (Android)
22/06 - Double Dragon Advance (MAME/RetroPie)
27/07 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
01/08 - Splatoon 2 (Switch)
02/08 - Tacoma (Xbox One)

Tacoma played, completed, and heartily recommended. It's not a recommendation without reservations though; if Gone Home and Everybody's Gone To The Rapture didn't do anything for you, I honestly wouldn't expect Tacoma to change your mind on such 'environmental theatre' games. I bloomin' loved it though. :D
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Jan - Titanfall 2 (XO)
Feb - Mass Effect 3 (X360 via XO)
Jun - The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch)
Jul - Football Manager 2017 (iOS)

Aug - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)

I'm done with the single player elements of MK 8 on Switch so adding to my list. Won everything up to 150cc and as per my Watcha Been Playing post I'm not a fan of 200cc at all so calling it quits there. For me the new faster mode breaks the fine balance of skill vs luck gameplay that MK has perfected over the years and I just don't have the patience for it :evil:

That aside - 8 Deluxe is easily the best MK ever in my humble opinion. Beautiful, packed with content, and the apex of the series' signature 'easy to pick up, hard to master' gameplay. Really struggle to see where they can take it from here, but certainly looking forward to finding out!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 Jul: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
29 Jul: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
01 Aug: Life Is Strange (PS4)
03 Aug: What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)