Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by Chopper »

Haha, of course! I will investigate, cheers.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

ratsoalbion wrote: July 27th, 2017, 5:04 pm I can't vouch for its quality as it was very early in our existence and I haven't heard it back for 5+ years, but...
https://caneandrinse.com/resident-evil-4/
I listened to it a couple of weeks back. Mint condition!

In all seriousness, I think it holds up as a dissection in the context of what came before and immediately after.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: July 27th, 2017, 4:57 pm Resident Evil 4 (PS4)

I did it! Kudos to KSubzero for offering advice here which removed some of my anxiety about the game and let me enjoy it rather than worrying about things. There probably isn't anything I can really say about it without sounding foolish, as I don't have much historical context for the game, but I enjoyed it a lot. I had to use a walkthrough for the 'It' and the Krauser boss fights; they are pretty ambitious by today's standards - you can see why modern boss fights just tend to stick you in an arena and that's it. Traversal of the environment plus fighting a boss was very challenging for me.

Question: does anyone know of any criticism that puts the game in it's proper context, ie with what came before and after, that I could read/look at? I watched a Superbunnyhop video that was a bit rubbish.

Edit: Oh, and HowLongToBeat really let me down on this one. 16 hours apparently. It took me 25 :oops:
I'm very glad to read that! Good on you for persevering, despite the initial hurdle. :P

I think the game has some of the best boss fights ever created, but I can definitely see how they could be a little overwhelming at first when playing it for the first time in 2017. They just have a lot more depth than the usual "shoot the glowing spot while locked in an arena" that most western TPSs constantly re-hash.

I'm afraid all my bookmarked RE4 articles have disappeared over the years when I wasn't looking. Stupid websites going down without warning! :(
Anyway, after a bit of research, I found these:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/04/01/why- ... thout-peer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... rospective

As well as these two videos:

Warning: Most of these are quite euphoric in nature!

PS: I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you liked the game's combat and are interested in score chasing, I consider The Mercenaries to be the greatest unlockable ever created.

PPS: HowLongToBeat is a total scam. It's better to play things at one's own rhythm and judge them accordingly, in my opinion.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

kintaris wrote: July 27th, 2017, 6:42 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: July 27th, 2017, 5:04 pm I can't vouch for its quality as it was very early in our existence and I haven't heard it back for 5+ years, but...
https://caneandrinse.com/resident-evil-4/
Mint condition!
:lol:
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Spoiler: show
08 Jan: Crypt of the Serpent King (Xbox One, review copy, 100% achievements, one of the worst game's I've ever played)
19 Jan: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
26 Jan: Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
26 Jan: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
29 Jan: METRICO+ (Xbox One, review copy)
25 Feb: Spheroids (Xbox One, review copy, 100% achievements)
26 Feb: The Swapper (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
27 Feb: Contrast (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
3 Mar: Ghost Blade HD (Xbox One, review copy. Hard mode complete.)
11 Mar: Defense Grid 2 (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
11 Mar: 2Dark (Xbox One, review copy)
11 Mar: Sky Force Anniversary (Xbox One, all but one achievement - too grindy)
16 Mar: Sublevel Zero Redux (Xbox One, review copy - easy campaign completion only)
18 Mar: Death Squared (Xbox One, review copy)
6 Apr: Thimbleweed Park (Xbox One, review copy)
17 Apr: Mass Effect 3 (360 on Xbox One - returned for Omega & Citadel DLCs, plus Insanity run and 100% achievements)
28 Apr: Hitman GO (Windows Phone, 100% achievements)
8 Jun: LEGO Marvel Superheroes (Xbox One)
11 Jun: Beautiful Katamari (Xbox 360)
18 Jun: Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)
12 Jul: Shadow of Mordor (Xbox One, including DLC)
13 Jul: ABZU (Xbox One, 100% achievements)
18 Jul: Picross 3D Round 2 (3DS)
18 Jul: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (Xbox 360 - 100% achievements)
20 Jul: The Room and The Room Two
26 Jul: The Room Three (Android)

Easily the worst of the three, but not all bad. Will muster my thoughts for the podcast.

27 Jul: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition (Xbox One - 100% achievements)

Well. 130 hours and two playthroughs later, I have completed Geralt's journey, including both expansions, on Death March difficulty. Having enjoyed the series since the start (and the novels, picked up along the way), I am sad to see the end. But I'll save my eulogy for the podcast thread :)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 2 - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
Jan 11 - very DOOM (PS4)
Jan 21 - The Last Guardian (PS4)
Jan 27 - Pokémon Sun (3DS)
Feb 9 - They Breathe (PC)
Feb 15 - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
Feb 19 - Gone Home (PS4)
Mar 11 - The Little Acre (PS4)
Mar 22 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice (PS4)
Mar 27 - Mega Man (3DS)
Apr 2 – Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Android)
Apr 4 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Apr 6 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)
Apr 15 - Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
Apr 15 - Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (3DS)
May 18 - Mega Man 2 (3DS)
Jul 7 – Persona 5 (PS4)
Jul 9 – Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS4)
Jul 27 - Final Fantasy (Vita)

I've complained about the lack of difficulty in the PSP version in another thread, which is particularly noticeable since this is an early JRPG and light on story. I'm happy to say the final boss put up a bit of a fight though. I might put detailed thoughts in the podcast thread later.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 27th, 2017, 7:14 pm
Warning: Most of these are quite euphoric in nature!

PS: I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you liked the game's combat and are interested in score chasing, I consider The Mercenaries to be the greatest unlockable ever created.

PPS: HowLongToBeat is a total scam. It's better to play things at one's own rhythm and judge them accordingly, in my opinion.
Thanks for the links! Very informative.

I hadn't intended to play the Mercenaries add-on (I don't feel anything for score attack games - I didn't even enter the shooting gallery in the main game), but there are two mini-campaigns involving Ada that I will come back to later.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Assignment Ada is short but sweet. Nothing spectacular, but definitely worth playing.

Separate Ways on the other hand, I consider to be the low point of the entire game by far. It was developed by a different team for the PS2 port and it shows. The level and encounter design are a clear step down from the main game.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Thanks for the videos, Ksubzero! I cleared the GC version back in the days and gifted it to a friend when I was handed the Wii Edition for review. I always intended to unlock Separate Ways in that one, but now I feel less compelled to.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well on the other hand, if you're interested in critical analysis of games (as I've been led to believe you are), a single playthrough of SW certainly does wonders in indirectly showing you the delicate craftsmanship of the main game! The mechanics are the same, the enemies are the same, and yet... the magic is gone. :P

But seriously, Mercs is where it's at. Same as with 5 and 6.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of RE4 when you first cleared it? And would you consider revisiting it nowadays?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I loved almost all bits of it and have been meaning to play through it all the way for the longest. Just too many other games I haven't played through once yet getting in the way.

Never really got into Mercs though. I'd want something with more instant, action based controls for an arcade, high score chase type of affair, is how I felt at the time. Maybe I should give it a second chance.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The way I see it, the comparatively slow and methodical nature of the game is what allows for such precision and strategy in the first place. There are a lot of twitchy, fast-paced, reaction-based arcade games out there. Mercs on the other hand is very much its own thing. It takes a while to get into the metagame of it, but it's an incredibly rewarding experience when it happens. For me, anyway.

The player is very much in control of the rhythm in Mercs. High-score runs definitely require fast and precise input and have very little (albeit planned) downtime.

Also, RE6 Mercs is significantly faster-paced. And it's the only part of the game I'd recommend.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
07 Feb: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii on Wii U)
01 Mar: The Little Acre (PC)
12 Mar: Chibi-Robo! (GC)
26 Mar: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
09 Apr: Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
16 Jun: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
18 Jun: Nex Machina (PS4)
12 July: Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS)
29 July: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
I assume it's basically fixed that you win the FA Cup.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ratsoalbion wrote: July 30th, 2017, 2:34 pm 29 July: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
How was this mode? Madden is doing something similar this year and I assume it'll be lifted wholesale from FIFA. Any way interesting to play through, or a half-baked feature for the back of the box?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 29th, 2017, 9:44 pm The way I see it, the comparatively slow and methodical nature of the game is what allows for such precision and strategy in the first place. There are a lot of twitchy, fast-paced, reaction-based arcade games out there. Mercs on the other hand is very much its own thing. It takes a while to get into the metagame of it, but it's an incredibly rewarding experience when it happens. For me, anyway.

The player is very much in control of the rhythm in Mercs. High-score runs definitely require fast and precise input and have very little (albeit planned) downtime.

Also, RE6 Mercs is significantly faster-paced. And it's the only part of the game I'd recommend.
Will definitely give it a second chance, seeing how our tastes and preferences seem to line up.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I remembered getting really into RE4 Mercenaries on the Wii. It's so stressful but exhilarating, trying to essentially master the environment and make every single bullet count exactly as you need it to, and deal with every enemy in the perfect order to maximise your score. I must have replayed the village level a few hundred times. It gives me the shivers imagining attempting it again!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Chopper wrote: July 31st, 2017, 9:07 am
ratsoalbion wrote: July 30th, 2017, 2:34 pm 29 July: FIFA 17: The Journey (XO)
How was this mode? Madden is doing something similar this year and I assume it'll be lifted wholesale from FIFA. Any way interesting to play through, or a half-baked feature for the back of the box?
I thought it was just OK. Made for a nice change from the usual modes but the writing was pure cliched children's drama.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

From the showing at E3 I get the feeling the Madden one is going to be a Friday Night Lights style “kid tries to escape his working class / gang background by playing football, but can’t run from his past forever” tale.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

AndrewBrown wrote: July 2nd, 2017, 2:04 am 05/01: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture [PS4]
13/01: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks [WiiUVC]
17/01: The Order: 1886 [PS4]
28/01: Undertale [PC]
29/01: Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles [Wii]
15/02: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword [Wii]
18/02: Battleborn [PS4]
08/03: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [Switch]
12/03: Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove [Switch]
13/03: Fast RMX [Switch]
17/03: Blaster Master Zero [Switch]
14/04: Snake Pass [Switch]
19/04: Injustice: Gods Among Us [360]
04/05: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [Switch]
17/05: NBA Playgrounds [Switch]
17/05: Injustice 2 [PS4]
29/05: Thumper [Switch]
01/06: Resident Evil (2002) Jill Campaign [PS4]
06/06: Resident Evil (2002) Chris Campaign [PS4]
11/06: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero [Switch]
17/06: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition [PS4]
25/06: Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Anniversary [PS4]
06/07: Cave Story+ [Switch]
18/07: Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas [Switch]
22/07: Splatoon 2 [Switch]
29/07: Overcooked Special Edition [Switch]

So much for my "diversify platforms I play in 2017" plan.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan
29/01 - Folklore
31/01 - Doom (Hurt Me Plenty)
04/02 - Gravity Rush 2
26/02 - Unravel
14/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending A)
20/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending B)
21/03 - Gravity Rush 2: Raven's Choice
24/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending C)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending D)
25/03 - Nier: Automata (Ending E)
22/04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
27/04 - Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City (NG+ level)
28/04 - Kamiko
05/05 - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
06/05 - Yakuza 0
09/05 - Forza Motorsport 6: Porsche Anthology
12/05 - Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels
19/05 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (150cc)
01/06 - Rime
18/06 - Final Fantasy XV
03/07 - Stories: The Path of Destinies
25/07 - Splatoon 2 (Hero Mode)
31/07 - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine

So that is now everything to do with this game done and dusted. Didn't half take a while. My opinions on it remain pretty similar to what I spoke about the other day in the Watcha Been Playing thread. I did enjoy it thoroughly, but I think out of all the Witcher 3 content, I like the base game the most. This was a very substantial adventure in its own right, with an interesting story line and good characters, but I feel like it's lacking that extra layer that makes this game stand out as being one of the best examples of writing in games currently. Not that it was bad by any means. Regis was definitely an entertaining character to interact with. But this expansion being set in a more idyllic fairytale fantasy setting I think results in it not focusing on conflicted characters. People who may be morally bad in some way or another, but are still sympathetic. Maybe Detlaff and Syanna get close to that, but they never really feel like they get explored anywhere near as much as some of the stand-out characters in the base game. But there were still many interesting tales to follow and good moments. From what I've been told, this expansion is kind of a love letter to long time fans of The Witcher, both in book and game form, so I suppose not having much experience with either of them outside of this game, that stuff is probably lost on me.