Games completed 2017

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
gallo_pinto

Re: Games completed 2017

Post by gallo_pinto »

Spoiler: show
Jan - Cave Story (3DS)
Jan - Hidden my game by mom (iPhone)
Jan - Hidden my game by mom 2 (iPhone)
Jan - Frog Fractions (Mac - Replay)
Jan - The End of the World (iPhone)
Jan - Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii)

Loved this game. I went for all of the medals in this one (Love Rap nearly broke me). But it's just so much fun.

I played Rhythm Tengoku, Rhythm Heaven DS and Rhythm Heaven Fever so close to each other that I'm going to wait a good chunk of time before starting Rhythm Heaven Megamix. But man I'm so glad I found this series.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hello, so me and Ryan were on Pixels Weekly for their GotY type show:
https://www.pixelsweekly.com/podcast/20 ... 016-ep-042

I also did a podcast on gaming and mental health with Gamer Joe Radio:
http://www.gamerjoeradioshow.com/2016/1 ... y.html?m=1

My other recent guest slot was talking about Puzzle Bobble 2 (aka Bust-a-Move 2) on Honourable Mentions:
http://theaibots.libsyn.com/honourable- ... -and-rinse

Thanks for your interest!
:oops:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:lol: :? :lol: :shock: :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote:19 Jan: Contra (arcade on PS4)
19 Jan: Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Super Contra (arcade on 360)
19 Jan: Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (360)
Productive day man !
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pixels, that's it! Worth a listen, and if you scroll back far enough you can find another episode with a familiar voice guesting (spoilers: it's Leon again) on it too.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

5th January - Arkham Origins (Wii U)
12th January - The End of the World (Android)
18th January - Rayman Legends (Wii U)

Can't claim to have 100%ed this - got 290 odd trophies - but think I've done everything I want to now; just got the Origins levels left unplayed (I have already completed that game) and (presumably) the true final, final level you unlock when you collect every trophy.

What a game. An utter joy from start to finish. Colourful, imaginative, hilarious, varied and utterly gorgeous. Not sure I've ever seen a better art directed platformer and it made my recent revisit to NSMBU feel very drab. There were many times where I died because I was too busy staring at background animation details or laughing at the quirky little touches.

I find the floaty, looser mechanics a little less my cup of tea than Mario or Guacamelee but conversely they do allow for some amazing speed runs when you revisit those brilliant Invaded levels. The music stages are inspired, the gamepad usage very clever, the secret areas devious and the bosses a highlight. Was also surprised to find the daily online challenges still updating and people taking part; had a blast doing a few of those.

May go back and pick up some of the trickier trophies at some point but feel like I've loved every minute of Legends to date, so going to try and squeeze in one more Wii U game before Zelda arrives...
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I've only completed two bite-sized morsels so far this year:

ABZU - not very interesting, was wondering 'when will this end?' on the second level.
Knife of Dunwall DLC for Dishonored - quite good

My issue is I went a bit mad in the recent sales and am now playing through some of the bloated AAA releases very slowly indeed. For example, The Division's progression mechanics are plainly on display and lead to an overwhelming sense of 'I'm wasting my life' if played for too long. So I'm trying to intersperse that with smaller games as I feel like it'll never end at the rate I'm going.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Off the blocks!!!

20/1 Uncharted 4 - Moderate

Mixed bag of a game for me. The visuals and voice acting are amazing as always in these games. But the game play and set pieces are feeling a bit tired now. The story and villain are a bit meh.
The most interesting thing in the story is the idea of a independent state founded by pirates and it eventual fall , now that would make a good bioshocky story!,
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 2 - Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4)
Jan 11 - very DOOM (PS4)
Jan 21 - The Last Guardian (PS4)

Really liked it. The mechanics are simple enough and the awkward camera is not so much of an issue for it as its not action heavy. I think enjoyment of the game might depend heavily on whether you buy into the growing bond between the boy and Trico.
And yet again Team Ico created an amazing ending (from the ice tower on).
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 2 - Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition (Xbox One)
Jan 8 - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Wii U VC)
Jan - ABZU
Jan - Chibi Robo GCN
Jan - Pony Island
Jan - Victor Vran

Forgot the dates of when I finished these 4 games but I enjoyed them all and paid mere pennies for them.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Inside (100% both endings). Um. Yeah.
Gone Home
Firewatch

Amazing. If i hadn't started it at 01:00 I'd have pounded that in one sitting. Did anyone else notice the Bloodborne reference in the scout hut?
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Inside (100% both endings). Um. Yeah.
Gone Home
Firewatch
SOMA

I was half way through this one to be fair. Got it day of release on the PS4. I'd recommend if you've got a PC, play it on that and get the mod that turns the hostiles, non-hostile. As great as the story is and as beautiful and atmospheric as the environments are. Some of the enemy placements and behaviors make it a bit of a chore. It stops being the horror of the monsters finding you that stresses you and the horror of losing another 15 mins of your life that kills you in the end.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote:18th January Infinite Warfare Xbox One

Easily my favourite Call Of Duty Campaign I've played (FYI I have not played Black OPs 2 or 3). Great fun for a franchise that isn't usually my cup of tea.
23rd Jan

The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 2

Brilliant however I do feel that my decisions are based on my previous experiences with Clem which are not relevant here. If you've played it you'll know what I mean. But it is fantastic.

The Bunker

Probably the worst game I have played this gen. Awful, awful game. I can only best describe it as a videogame made by people who have never played videogames. Everything about it was bad. Infuriating controls, instafail sections that were pure luck that you passed. I wouldn't even recommend downloading it when it appears on PS+ or Games With Gold.

Would be a great Cane And Rinse Episode though :)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Wii U HD version.

I started late last year and only just finished last night. It's a game that went from whimsical, magically adventure through a colourful charming world, to starting to feel like a chore. That feeling came towards the latter half of the game, and to be fair I was also playing Person 4 on the Vita at the same time, and that game had no problem pulling me along to the end. Wind Waker on the other hand, I really had to force myself to pick up the controller and finish it.

It's by no means a terrible game; if anything I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it. It's just little things. To be very specific:

Bow and arrow + first person/gyroscopic/motion control + puzzle = engaging.

However:

Bow and arrow + first person/gyroscopic/motion control + combat, with small windows of opportunities to hit a small target = frustration.

It's by no means a difficult game, so combat in this game is more irritating rather than unfair. And that's mainly because I would try and switch to the bow in combat, find Link facing the complete opposite direction, and have to fiddle around to much just to line up a shot. It just wasn't fun.

Like I said, minor issues really. The good outweighs the bad, significantly so, and now that I've finished it once, I'm done with it.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
Hicks

Post by Hicks »

January 16 - Velocity 2X (Vita version)

Picked this one up last year around the middle/end of August, on sale of course. Enjoyed it more than I expected to, for sure. If I can Perfect each stage (32 out of 50 so far) and get the Plat, then I'll definitely pick up the two DLC packs that add some more levels.

Now I can start wrapping up Persona 4 Golden, so that I can then start on World of FF.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Forza Horizon 3: Blizzard Mountain
15/01 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
17/01 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
25/01 - The Unfinished Swan

Felt like playing something a bit more laid back this evening, so I finished off this one again. Still a fun little experience. I think I forgot to mention before that Terry Gilliam is in it, which is kind of cool.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Scrustle wrote:I think I forgot to mention before that Terry Gilliam is in it, which is kind of cool.
I did not know that. Whereabouts?
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Quantum Break - XB1.
(Jan) Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag - PS4.
(Jan) Adr1ft - PS4.