The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
The Baboon Baron

Re: 360: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by The Baboon Baron » February 6th, 2019, 1:16 pm

With BOTW I don’t fall in the “masterpiece” camp, or the “overrated” camp. Complete with sore backside I sit on the fence with this game- its great, but not a masterpiece. Some elements will appeal to some people far more than others, and I think Nintendo’s willingness to take a punt on a divisive approach was an impressive, and ultimately rewarding choice.
I come right down the middle because for every moment I adore, like galloping over the hills as the seasons change, there’s an element that is infuriating, like climbing in the rain. So much of this game is brilliant, but there are still negative elements, that I cannot ignore.
The weapon degradation system I quite liked, especially in the Zelda world, were historically there’s been 3 swords and 3 colours of tunic for 3 decades, this was new and original. It required the player to adapt on the fly, change their approach and utilise the items that they have available to better effect. Having a system such as this was a great way of messing with the heads of older Zelda fans, and I loved being kept on my toes. Thematically it reminded me of the change in thinking that Majora’s mask required. It was the same, but different.
Speaking of loves, the weather and clothing were brilliant touches- especially as you learn how the environment affects your items as well as your approach to situations. Perhaps it was irritating the first time you stumbled into an environmental affect area, but it gently encouraged the player to review their approach, visit the town, learn the lay of the land, prep, and THEN try again. In RPG terms, it gave the player a real sense of being on an adventure, a long and grueling one more akin to Lord of the Rings rather than the swashbuckling of Pirates of the Caribbean.
But, hours of backtracking and horse riding took their toll. Slipping and sliding down mountain sides got irritating, and the endless cooking jingle really started to grate on my nerves. All perfectly ignorable irritations- but added together they made the later stages of a play through of BOTW drag.
Also, whilst I loved the updated and ruined Hyrule setting, some of the characters stayed in the 1990’s- Zelda’s portrayal particularly grated, as in flashback upon flashback she’s portrayed as a weak and panicked ruler, placing her faith incorrectly. This is not the Sheik or Tetra I look for in Zelda. Similarly, the scene where Link must “dress as a girl” to gain entry to the Gerudo village, a village where all the occupants are obsessed with finding a husband was achingly tone deaf in this day and age.
It seems in discussion of BOTW it’s easy to forget the games that may have influenced it- and I don’t mean the other Zelda’s. there’s elements of Red Dead Redemption in the horse riding, a touch of Diablo in gear management and lest not forget the nods to Assassins Creed and Skyrim and all the other Sandbox-athons that predated BOTW. Whilst BOTW does these things brilliantly, the game does stand on the shoulders of giants.
But no game is perfect. No piece of media is perfect. And whilst it is not in my top 5 games of all time, it deserves to be remembered and celebrated. Just like The Switch itself, BOTW showed that Nintendo is still full of ideas, okay so they’re not perfect, but they’re a lot of fun.

3WR- Don't break now!

Suits

Post by Suits » February 7th, 2019, 7:45 pm

I've contemplated posted in this thread a number of times and chosen not too, for fear of not being able to put down how I actually feel about this video game or put across what it actually means to me.

There's nothing I can say about the gameplay, the mechanics, the story that hasn't been said a many number of times already by people better versed, or more eloquent than I am.

This game is hugely special to me, the way it makes me feel, the way it makes me think, the state of consciences it puts me in when I play it, or even when I think about it.

It came along at a time when I was emotionally vunerbale, my wife was due our first child, it was Spring, I was on gardening leave and was hugely excited for this personally massive game and at the same time I was extremely nervous about the monumental life changes that were about to happen to me.

It helped me through those times as a comforter and also delivered a milestone in the medium for me.

Patricia Summersett's iconic "Link, open your eyes.." and the game's score can almost bring me to tears when it catches me off guard, as it transports me off into that world of peaceful breeze and light through the trees.

It screams brilliance without making a noise at times and is truly a masterclass in fantasy and wonder.

A combination of sound, music, art and gameplay that all together delivers an experience I never thought was possible, let alone ready for.

Easily, the best video game I have ever played and one that I will forever hold precious.

Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon » February 11th, 2019, 4:26 am

The team making The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild must have been familiar with that old Picasso line that goes something like, “Good artists copy. Great artists steal,” because this title rifled through gaming’s historically great offerings with all the zeal of a Yiga clansman scouring Donkey Kong’s pantry. Portal seems like a particular touchpoint for the shrines both in decoration and puzzle design, even going so far as to have the Kuh Takkar shrine employ a companion cube made of ice. And I couldn’t help but think of Shadow of the Colossus both for the scalable stamina system and more importantly and impressively, that feeling of crossing an often sparsely populated landscape only to come upon a multi-step puzzle disguised as a kind of kaiju of such scale and majesty that it makes the player swoon and ache.

Of course not everything in this game was pickpocketed from other series. It drew from its own past as well, smartly repurposing enemies, allies, and items from other games in the Zelda oeuvre. As the Picasso quote suggest, in confiscating these things Breath of the Wild took a certain ownership of them, so that now, at least for me, things like the lynel and the glider belong to this game, instead of A Link to the Past or The Wind Waker.

Furthermore, for all the things Breath of the Wild pinches in the name of art and gaming, its not afraid to also give back. The internet is full of people reminiscing about specific moments of particular aesthetic beauty the game delivered that highlight its sumptuous and simplistic art style. My personal “Is this really happening” moment came when I stood atop the skull of some long dead leviathan at the north of the Goran kingdom, and spied the fire dragon drifting towards me part comet and part kite.

The internet is equally crowded with people unimpressed with the game’s narrative, and although they are not wrong about Link and Zelda and the Champion’s tale feeling more borrowed than almost anything in the game, I found the stories of Hyrule’s other citizens, its regular people if you will, pretty powerful. Despite spending a century living in the shadow of a barely contained giant, purple, porcine embodiment of evil that could suddenly destroy the entire world, they cared about the small stuff like commerce and stage fright and gossip and gardening and all the other niggling bothers people actually do care about despite knowing how close we all are to the void. I’m not saying this was perfectly handled in the text, but it does seems a salient point in the way this game made me care about gaming during these particularly interesting times we all live and play in.

Which brings me to the best thing this game gave me, which was a renewed love of gaming, an art form I’d stepped away from for close to two decades. I’ve talked about this elsewhere on the forum, so I won’t rehash it here, but to be honest what made this game special for me is that I know if there was a survey that asked us “Are things like beauty and adventure and play important?” I would check the box that says yes. I assume we all would. But Breath of the Wild made me feel like they were important, the way only the best art can.

Three word review: Opened my eyes

Tbone254

Post by Tbone254 » February 22nd, 2019, 5:57 am

I have been a fan of the Zelda series for as long as I can remember. While I have enjoyed playing through the games as they have evolved over the years, the original that was released on the NES remains my personal favorite. I think it’s because, somewhere along the way, the Zelda games became less about discovering hidden secrets and more about solving puzzles. This isn’t a bad thing, but my preference lies with the former because that sense of accidental discovery is so gratifying. For example, in the original game, I thought the bombs were just another weapon to use against enemies. At some point I tried to blow up an enemy near a certain wall, and too my extreme delight, a secret passage appeared in the wall, accompanied by that now iconic jingle. This kind of discovery has not been present in the Zelda series for years and I have sorely missed it. So I have to say that I am more than pleasantly surprised with the direction Nintendo have taken Breath of the Wild.

For the first time in 20 or so years I feel like I am actually exploring Hyrule, not just traversing the land to get to the next puzzle room. This change from what has become the standard Zelda model excited me, and in a bit of ironic turn, I found running across some of the old Zelda tropes fascinating. Something like seeing the ruins of of Lon Lon ranch for the first time evokes a feeling of nostalgia which is then compounded by the game’s story and atmosphere.

The game isn’t perfect though; Much of the game seems temporary. Weapons and shields break after an enemy or two, enemies respawn, and chests refill. Combat isn’t all that in depth, and I feel the game could use a bit more underground exploration. I wasn’t really longing for a traditional style dungeon littered with room puzzles and such, just some large buried buildings or caves to explore.

All in all the game is gorgeous and an absolute joy to play. While many are praising this exciting new direction that Nintendo has taken Zelda. I see it as a magnificent return to form to what made the first Zelda really special.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » February 24th, 2019, 1:41 am

Breath of the Wild is a game I will never "get". When I think Zelda games, I think stories and characters just strong enough to support a lengthy campaign, great dungeons and cool weapons with lots of utility functions, and great art direction.

Breath of the Wild, by contrast, just feels big, empty, and desperately lacking in meaningful content. My biggest pet peeve, by far, is weapons that break after a pitiful 2 or 3 hits. People defend this by saying it "adds variety", but I never had an issue with variety in previous Zelda games where the weapons weren't a frustrating mess. Also disappointing is the complete removal of dungeons and boss fights in favour of much smaller and much less interesting Chambers, including the animal robots. Instead of interesting, creative bosses - the highlight of previous Zelda games for me - we get a small handful of identical spectres in the animal robots, and a selection of stronger enemies scattered thoughtlessly around the map.

To me, Breath of the Wild isn't a game so much as it's a collection of poor game design choices blasted out the door as a finished product - glass weapons, lame fetch quests, accidental triggering of a high-level boss in a low-level region *constantly*, a lame stamina meter, the inability to climb in the rain for some reason, constantly recycling of art assets and puzzle concepts, it's just a mess of a game.

I think with the right direction, an incredible art design and soundtrack could have made a difference... But what's here is really uninspired, with a muted, filmic score replacing the great melodies of past games, and an art style that doesn't seem particularly imaginative and original in anyway.

If I could point to any one element that absolutely typifies the "Breath of the Wild experience", it's the Korok Seeds. They don't serve any particularly compelling purpose, the reward for getting them all isn't really worth the effort, and you're just left questioning "Why"? Why are there 900 of them? Like, you CAN lock 900 pointless items behind 4 or 5 micro puzzles, endlessly recycled... But just because you can, doesn't mean you should. The design philosophy behind the whole experience seems to be, "Let's make the map really big, and then fill it with junk." But having a ton of dull, repetitive things does not add up to an interesting whole - and the game as a whole feels more like a checklist of mindless busywork than an *adventure*.

I say with genuine honesty, BOTW is probably the single most disappointing game I've bought at launch. The only feelings I associate with it are boredom and frustration - and after investing 40 hours of my life waiting for this game to become interesting, it just didn't happen.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » February 24th, 2019, 2:15 am

KissMammal wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 4:11 pm
While I don't consider BotW to be the best Zelda of all time (I'm not even sure I'd consider it my favourite Zelda of the last decade) and I generally sympathise with all the usual complaints and frustrations leveled at it, I think it's easy to forget how stale the series was becoming prior to 2016, and I cannot overstate how relieved I am that Nintendo decided to take such a bold leap into the unknown and attempt to shake the formula up with this iteration.
Gonna hide my questions in Spoiler text, as they are not podcast relevant:
Spoiler: show
Was it *really* getting stale though? Skyward Sword was a real weird one because it reviewed super good, but I don't know a single person who's actually played it. It tried to innovate with wacky controls, and I think most people agree a remake/rerelease without the reliance on waggle would be an improvement.

I know Twilight Princess *at the time* was derided as "samey", but it's also exactly what people were demanding at the time - and the legacy of it nearly 15 years later seems to be quite strong.

So when was the series ever "stale"? Aside from maybe the ho-hum DS and 3DS titles. Because we haven't had a single Zelda game that "fits the mould" since Twilight Princess 15 years ago. If anything, it feels more like people were frustrated with Skyward Sword being too different.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » February 28th, 2019, 10:00 am

Zelda having been one of my favourites series for pretty much the entire time I’ve been playing games, Breath of the Wild was a pretty significant release. It’s the first time the series had made such a big shift in design in around two decades. While I don’t think the original 3D Zelda style particularly needed to be so drastically overhauled, it was bound to happen some time. How BotW mixes up the formula has its pros and cons, but in the end it comes out as a truly special game that is well worth the reputation it quickly gained for itself.

It’s clear that this time around the big focus is on the world itself and how you interact with it. The game does a fantastic job at this, making you feel like a small part in a huge world that is indifferent to your existence, but while also making you feel connected to the world as you learn how to survive and make the most out of the resources you gather along your journey. The design of the world is also brilliant. It’s a great place to simply be in. It’s masterfully designed to pull your attention towards the next thing as it appears over the horizon as you roam around, naturally creating a breadcrumb trail of fun little moments and encounters. The layout of landmarks and locations also make sure that every area feels characterful and distinct, and that you never lose your bearings. It creates a wonderful atmosphere too with visual and audio design. While it can sometimes feel a bit restricted in terms of fidelity due to the scale of the game and the hardware it’s running on, it still constantly manages to create scenes of awe and beauty. The way the position of the sun changes the colour of the sky to so many vibrant colours, the feel of wind in the air, with the way it wafts grasses in the breeze as it reflects the light. And the way the naturalistic sound design creates this peaceful but tangible soundscape, gently complimented with delicate piano interludes that elevates the mood even higher. I’ve heard some people complain about this game being too large, or the world being “empty”, but this is why I have to vehemently disagree with that. It’s a game where the space is meant to be enjoyed. It doesn’t have to be constantly giving you something to do, even though the game does a great job of always leading you towards that. The scale of the world is to give you that sense of awe and reflection, and to let you relax and take it all in between enemy encounters or the next Shrine. But I have to say, despite me loving what this game does with its world and atmosphere, I really wish it had more music. I totally get why the game uses its soundtrack as sparingly as it does, but I do feel like they went a bit too far, and they still could have pulled off the same kind of thing, but just with a slightly more prominent overworld theme. But regardless, I still love it.

Despite the game being such a departure for the series, and it being praised for its innovation, I don’t think the game is actually that original. A lot of what it does is very similar to many other open world games that we’ve seen in the recent past. It isn’t dissimilar from the Ubisoft style of open world sandbox. But what elevates the game far above that ilk is how it structures itself. While other games in the genre give you a long checklist of repetitive tasks to do, filling your UI with confusing junk, BotW instead encourages the player to seek out tasks by designing its map and terrain in such a way that it entices your curiosity naturally, making the process of acquiring new tasks in to an involving experience in itself, that gives the player agency and doesn’t overwhelm them. It perfectly fits in to the cycle of exploration and following your nose that makes the game feel like a seamlessly paced adventure, despite being so open and non-linear.

One thing I do have to criticise though are the dungeons. This is easily the biggest flaw of the game, and something I definitely miss from the older style of the series. The tools they give you to solve puzzles in dungeons are very good however. The magic Runes that give you the ability to manipulate physics in various ways allow for some very creative puzzles, and have lots of utility outside of dungeons too. They also feel like an appropriately modern take on the Zelda puzzle item trope, by expanding the possibilities of what you can do with them in non-scripted ways. But the dungeons that you use them in are something of a disappointment. The main Divine Beast dungeons were underwhelmingly short and innumerous, and didn’t feel like they took full advantage of their layouts. Aside from perhaps the Gerudo Beast, the ability to control them from the inside felt like it didn’t have as much impact on puzzles as it could have. The bosses for each of them also felt very similar, despite being generally fun to fight. There’s also the issue of how, with the game being so non-linear, that meant that no dungeon could really build upon the ideas of a previous one and be significantly more complex than any other. The Shrines suffer from some similar problems. While they have a lot of very neat ideas for puzzles, they all feel quite isolated, meaning they can never go above a certain level of complexity. And of course having all of them share the same brown stone look makes them blend together in terms of personality too. I suppose one could argue that the overall design philosophy of the game somewhat mandates that dungeons be designed this way, but I think Nintendo could still find a way to fix these issues in future. Hyrule Castle solved some of these problems, and was a very enjoyable sequence, but it felt like it was more of a challenge gauntlet that served as an impressive set piece for the end of the game, rather than a traditional Zelda dungeon that this game sorely lacks. I did rather like the fight with Calamity Ganon though. Despite it also having the same visual style as the other dungeon bosses, it felt like a much more monstrous threat than any of them individually, and had a more varied move set that forces you to mix up your strategy during the fight.

But despite my problems, BotW is still up there as one of my favourite Zelda games, and was a truly magical and wonderful experience. It’s a good base to mould a new archetype around, and I’m sure the future of the series looks bright. I just hope they solve the problems with dungeons in future games.

---

Coincidentally Matthewmatosis uploaded his review of the game yesterday. Good timing for the podcast, and definitely worth a watch.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 28th, 2019, 11:37 am

Snip.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » February 28th, 2019, 6:28 pm

As Scrustle said, that Matthewmatosis review is so worth a watch if you're into mechanics and design. Absolutely superb stuff. His repeated point about intrinsic versus extrinsic rewards is fundamental for me, and neatly encapsulates the divide in opinion.

In my experience, the players who don't enjoy BotW are those who don't enjoy engaging with its 'unnecessary' systems. Whether this is a symptom of personality, historical conditioning or simply a desire to solve problems as efficiently as possible, this approach will only scratch the surface of what this game is so confident to keep in its trousers. If you do explore and experiment with the extraordinary interlocking of environmental conditions, robust physics and player co-ordination, you will find opportunities for creativity and discovery which I believe to be peerless in the medium. The music and art and unparalleled sense of adventure will have reams written about them over the following decades but it's the exploration of mechanics and interdependent systems which really massaged my brain and which will stay with me forever. Mechanically, this makes the biggest names in contemporary open world design look a generation out of date.

caponeadam

Re: Our next podcast recording (11.3.19) - 360: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by caponeadam » March 2nd, 2019, 12:47 pm

When I think of Zelda BOTW I very much recall my lack of excitement in the long buildup to the game's release. On the surface it looked closest to the only Zelda game I couldn't bring myself to finish in a long time, Skyward Sword. Even during the Zelda only Nintendo E3 presentations it just seemed to be Link wandering around similar looking environments and solving puzzles in the repeatably generic samey locations that I were to later understand as the shrines.

When the reviews came in I remember being genuinely shocked but also incredibly skeptical when people were saying this was the best Zelda since Ocarina of Time, something I hear every single time a new Zelda game comes out.

I won't go into too much detail but the game really was an instant classic for me, all the hours of pre-footage available of this game just wasn't able to convey the sense of adventure and exploration that is the core of this majestic experience. The most exciting aspect of this refreshing new take on the Zelda series is that as much as I loved it there is much room for improvement with this new direction.

RCheeze

Post by RCheeze » March 3rd, 2019, 12:28 am

seansthomas wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 8:27 am
One last minor point:

Seeing that blank screen do nothing throughout the entire final game, and knowing of the potential it had, was the one telltale sign of the games cross platform transition and left me with a slight twinge of what might have been.
Agreed 100%.

RCheeze

Re: Our next podcast recording (11.3.19) - 360: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by RCheeze » March 3rd, 2019, 12:44 am

I was burnt out on 3D Zelda games before I played Breath of the Wild. I was just tired of the formula. Tired of the rote nature of the series. Just tired. Then, I bought myself Breath of the Wild for my birthday in May 2017 and I realized in the following weeks that I would never have to return to any other 3D Zelda game again. This game is a perfect Zelda experience for me. As someone gets equally overwhelmed and bored playing open-world games, I cannot seem to pull myself away from this realization of Hyrule presented in BotW. The vistas. The colors. The graphics. The exploring. The locations. Even the shrines, which I never really got tired of, or the breakable weapons, which never bothered me. They all equaled for me a perfect videogame experience, one that I can see myself revisiting in the years to come.

BlueWeaselBreath

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » March 6th, 2019, 8:43 am

This is the only 3D Zelda I’ve ever finished. I had a great time doing almost everything; I would’ve gotten more seeds, but I found out the reward for doing so is a disappointing turd.

BOTW was neat because it appeared to be an answer to what Zelda fans had been asking for for years. Nintendo, while they appear to love their fans, are not exactly known for taking direct feedback to heart (at least, that’s how they sometimes appear). And yet, the BOTW team seems to have heard fans’ opinions that Zelda should get back to its free-exploring roots, break the formula, do less hand-holding, incorporate a different setting with a bit of “modern” technology, and so on. I loved it.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing » March 6th, 2019, 9:38 am

I've never been able to finish a Zelda game and this one was no different. I should have known better than to listen to the hype on a Zelda game, but I fooled myself into thinking "this will be the one I finish" when I bought it and my Switch at the same time.

I was playing, and enjoying, BOTW until a certain sidequest where I had to sneak into a thieves hideout. I tried and tried and tried and just kept getting spotted and gave up out of frustration. I never went back because Octopath Traveler came out soon after.

I like linear story telling. I like when a game tells a good, engaging story. Unfortunately Zelda games don't really have stories that I find that engaging. However, I don't think turning Zelda into the Elder Scrolls was necessarily the best idea for the series. either. It wasn't enough to keep me playing.

SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard » March 6th, 2019, 6:18 pm

When I bought my Switch in early 2018 I was given the option to get either Mario Odyssey or Breathe of the Wild, and I went with Mario and regretted the decision almost immediately. So I traded in old games and pinched a few pennies and before I knew it I was back in the skin of Link saving the most beautiful and exciting Hyrule yet. I was giddy.

That's why I'm so surprised to say that this is, by a significant margin, my least favorite Zelda (to be fair I have not played Skyward Sword or a few of the portable offshoots).

The decision to cut out almost any semblance of a story and the complete lack of dungeons completely turned me off, and made me question what makes a Zelda game a Zelda game in the first place. The shrines were nice, but Forest Temple they were not.

I still powered through, convinced the first great moment was right around the corner, but sadly, for me, it never came. It's the only Zelda game I've ever traded in for store credit.

I wish BOTW was for me, but it just isn't.

P.S. whoever made the decision to make every sword, stick, and club out of glass spiderwebs should be in prison.

Lokhe

Post by Lokhe » March 9th, 2019, 10:56 am

At first I looked at the promos for this game and felt it just wasn’t for me, then the January Direct happened...

Best trailer in recent memory? Probably. And boy did it live up to the hype.

Not in many years has a game captured my inner child like BotW did. In a way I didn’t quite think possible anymore.

Truly magical.

Good Shot Janson

Post by Good Shot Janson » March 10th, 2019, 3:55 pm

3 words: Played Nier Instead.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » March 10th, 2019, 6:48 pm

I was never going to finish this in time but Breath of the Wild reminds me of Zelda 2 in the sense it does not feel like a Zelda game. I’ve never been the biggest fan of the franchise so it’s the entries that offer variations on the ordinary theme which hold my interest the most. The world is barren, oppressive and the game does not hold your hand. Zelda 2 gave me the same sense of place and the triumphant feeling when I conquered the odds felt very familiar also.
I look forward to finishing it but like a fine wine I’m going to sip and savour it because the first impressions are very special. Here’s hoping the aftertaste is as rewarding.

Three word review:
Breadth of the wild

seansthomas

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by seansthomas » March 19th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Loved the discussion about differing ways to tackle puzzles in this game. The anecdote Michiel told around his friend trying to cross the river on the Great Plateau was exactly what I did on my second playthrough.

But on my first, I read a book in the Old Man's hut, earned a Warm Doublet, cut down a tree to cross the chasm, cooked up some Spicy Peppers and climbed the rear face of the mountain, unaware that ice lake even existed.

What a game...

MarkFM

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by MarkFM » March 21st, 2019, 10:27 am

Great episode. Shame not to have Leah on, just because she's been on so many and seemingly would have offered a different opinion to others. I guess if she didn't stick with the game it makes sense though, and ultimately the community offered a great range of opinions anyway.

I've not played this game, maybe will one day, but I find it fascinating. I wonder if I would like it, if it's maybe too much of a step in the opposite direction from the more prescriptive side of Zelda, and sacrifices progression for exploration. It's certainly a series that needed a refresh in my view, and it's nice to hear a balanced take on the affect of these changes, even if personally you all clearly found it an overall positive.

I found the talk about weapon breaking really interesting, particularly Josh's point about how it influences you to use the environment. I hadn't thought of that. I guess the issue is weapons are weapons, and seeing them as a limited resource like grenades etc. is a difficult one to make, particularly (as Leon said) with a heavy sword rather than a tree branch. Particularly with the history of Zelda games, it's a difficult thing both to get across and for players to appreciate.

Maybe a weaker permanent weapon with scattered stronger but brittler weapons might improve things? That way you don't have the constant frustration of having to find a new one, but you also are encouraged to explore and use the environment, as your default option is just that, the equivalent of the starter pistol in a shooter. I should probably actually play the thing rather than speculate...