The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Suits »

Blows your mind that game at times doesn’t it.

Special, special game.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

^ amen. Reading stuff like that makes me want to go back to it. It'll happen. So you've done no divine beast stuff yet Alex? I went a different way with it, it's cool hearing how everyone else plays this game and has different experiences. I don't think I've even done the quest you're on about but I've seen the thing in your spoiler. I was equally mesmerised :)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

When you said the music began to change, the piano started twinkling in my head and I felt excited. I knew exactly what it would be. What a moment!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Great to read, yeah. I remember that moment very clearly as well.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Attempting my first divine beast after 45 hours, and absolutely scratching my head with this one! It's the...
Spoiler: show
elephant type one in the reservoir (the water based race who give you the armor to swim up waterfalls).
I just can't work it out. I've got to an area with two giant cog type things, and you can get inside one and use stasis on the ball or another bit, but no idea what to do or how to do it! I broke most my weapons experimenting so had to reload from the beginning of the stage, haha.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I remember really struggling with the divine beasts - a lot of the puzzles just didn't seem at all intuitive to me for some reason.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm, well I've managed to find a (useless) map and got the cogs moving, along with the ability to move the trunk now! I can't help feeling I cheesed getting in to the map room. I used stasis on the gate and whacked the fuck out of it before dashing through, but I'm sure there must be a more elegant solution! I mean what if you didn't have any suitable weapons?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There’s always a way.

Also, finding ‘unofficial’, mechanics based solutions is one of the aspects that sets BotW apart for me I think.
Suits

Post by Suits »

It never feels like you’re cheating - just being clever.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Totally agree. The number of times I did something that I thought 'the devs couldn't possibly have intended' and then saw loads of other people doing far more inventive things and realising the devs actually just made one of the greatest series of interlocking physics and elemental systems ever seen in a game, and intended for all of this and more.

The ability to manipulate things further with your powers tears there whole thing wide open. For its many achievements, that sense of 'I wonder if...' truly sets it apart for me. The use of fire alone is mind blowing in its depth.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex you are making me want to try and get into it for the 5th time! :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Did it! I was so tempted to look it up at one point because I was baffled, but feels so much better doing it without. Really enjoyed that, and there are three more to do! The last terminal to activate really stumped me all last night and today. The solution was so bloody obvious, but you forget all the tools you have available!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Forgetting what tools you have is definitely what slowed me down the most. So many times I was thinking ‘this would be so much easier if I had bombs...’. Oops.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

90 hours in, and I've hit my first point of frustration with the game. I'm trying to get the Thunder Helm back so I can take on the Divine Beast in the desert. The game just isn't built for stealth, but you have to sneak in the hideout and I keep getting spotted, and then pounced on by 4 or 5 hard ass 600hp enemies. It's doing my head in! I can take them on one at a time, but not when there are loads of them!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That’s a sticking point for many, myself included.
You have to stealth it 100%.

Stick with it, it’s not very long.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Did it first try after you replied :)

The boss wasn't difficult either considering I'd got well over 100 bomb arrows :lol: Felt a bit like cheating, but I bought them, might as well use them!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I don’t think there’s ever been a *good* stealth section on a zelda game, I wish they wouldn’t do them. Heh.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I bounced off the Wind Waker for years because of that stealth section at the start. The BotW one was even worse.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Marlew wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 6:53 pm I bounced off the Wind Waker for years because of that stealth section at the start. The BotW one was even worse.
Same here, I got to the first stealth bit in WW.

Finished the Divine Beast in the desert last night though, that's two down. They're some of the best bits of the game I think. Really enjoyed the two I've done. Both took me more than one day, messing around, trying to solve the puzzles.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I really enjoyed them too, a nice mix of puzzles and combat, although I thought the bosses at the end of each divine beast were a bit hit and miss. Not having much history with Zelda, I can't relate to the complaints that these replaced the traditional dungeons.