Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
slimTANKv2

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Post by slimTANKv2 »

Evening all, I've been in and out of the open beta over the past two days and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it and if so, what are your thoughts. I'm playing on PC and i can say that its a very pretty game, the map just keeps on going. But there's something that isn't sitting well with me and I can't pin it down. Combat seems either far too easy and a complete cluster ****. But that could down to how I'm approaching objectives. What I'm talking about I think is the subtle things. the lack of cover to cover system in the Division I think is a miss in Wildlands, also, no leaning round cover. I feel as though i'm either completely exposed or in cover where I can't return fire. I don't think it will be a title for me right know but again, what are your thoughts?
MagicianArcana

Re: Ghost Recon, Wildlands

Post by MagicianArcana »

I tried it out last night with a friend. Neither of us were big fans. I didn't play much of The Division, but to me Wildlands felt like The Division with a different setting. Not sure how accurate that statement is though. I found the setting of an alternate universe New York City more interesting.

I likely won't be picking this one up. I'm seeing hints of MGSV and Just Cause in there. So I guess I'd rather play those games if I want an open world action or stealth game.

Don't know if my assessment is fair though. I only got to play it for a couple hours last night. Maybe if I were to give it more of a chance I'll find it engaging.

But I did like the character customization! Seemed to be a pretty good amount of freedom there.
Suits

Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Post by Suits »

I had a good few hours with 3 mates on this last night.

While it just seemed to feel like every other open world shooter that has been released in the last few years I did have fun with it.

I expect this was down to the fun i had with my mates more than anything.

If at all, I'd expect to pick this up when it's £20 or something and we all get together on a weekend for a laugh.

I do have to say, the range of the combat (while comparing it to The Division for instance) felt more medium to long, which I prefer and reminded me a lot of the excellent Desert Storm games on the GameCube. Which, almost the exact same 4 as last night used to play back in the day :lol: .
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Found it quite uninspiring and uninstalled it after a single half hour session on my own. Felt like a less interesting version of The Division with bland locales and a character too big for the screen. I imagine like any game it'll be much better with mates though.
slimTANKv2

Post by slimTANKv2 »

It seems I've had similar reactions to both beta trials coming from Ubisoft lately. For honour and Wildlands I can say were impressive visually but as soon as I took control of the game, I couldn't help think what should I have, tea or coffee.

These two games feel like how the Division launched, well funded marketing campaign showing all the flashy parts of an overall bland experience. I'm not kicking off here, I'm merely saying these won't be for me and i'll go back to Rainbow 6 Siege and Dark souls.

I chose coffee btw.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Despite being initially nonplussed by the beta months ago, with it being a very large and intricate open-world but with repetitive and eventually boring gameplay, I installed the full game on Friday as Ubisoft decided to make it free for the weekend for the imminent release of the 4x4 PvP mode.

I have to say that I've enjoyed it a whole lot more than the beta and am seriously considering making the most of the discount they have for it online at the moment too. The progression, the missions and the vast world with its many different regions really sucked me in this time and I can see how they've improved the feel of the game (and cut way down on the truly annoying "banter" when playing with the AI squad!). I dunno, the fact that they've also just added a PvP mode feels like the game may very well have some 'legs' for the coming months.