Favourite Enemies/Monsters in Games (not Bosses)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Favourite Enemies/Monsters in Games (not Bosses)

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: May 9th, 2017, 7:28 pm I can totally roll with most of Ksubzero's post, too.
Whaddaya mean, "most"? Any disagreement I should know about? :P
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

No, I guess I'm alluding to the enemy from God of War 3. I haven't played it. The rest are all choices I find agreeable, lol.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

dezm0nd wrote: May 9th, 2017, 8:39 pm Crimson Heads in the Resident Evil remake. When the first one I encountered burst the door down I genuinely had to pause it and calm down.

Not been that scared in a game for years.
Yeah, just the speed they got up with and start chasing you... and the sudden, loud raspy throat voice they make. *shudder*
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: May 10th, 2017, 8:13 am No, I guess I'm alluding to the enemy from God of War 3. I haven't played it.
Well, there you go!

Please note that the video title mistakenly refers to it as a boss fight. It isn't one, just a particularly tense and spectacular enemy.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Thanks for sharing!
MauricioMM

Post by MauricioMM »

My picks would be:

1) Big Sisters (BioShock 2)
Incredibly agile and psychically powerful mutant girls, plus they have a very cool suit design, like slender Big Daddies.

2) Striders (Half-Life 2 and episodes)
Towering three-legged alien cyborg tanks (that’s a mouthful :lol: ). Hugely intimidating in looks, sound, weapons and behavior, the ultimate Half-Life adversary.

3) Hunters (Half-Life 2: Episode Two)
Now imagine a smaller and more mobile strider that attacks in groups. Yikes.

4) Shaelmaars (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine)
A force of nature, monsters that look like giant armadillos made mostly of rock. Hard to hit, swift and especially dangerous in caves.

5) Deathclaws (Fallout 3 & New Vegas)
Powerful, fast, fierce and very, very terrifying.

6) Gunships (Half-Life 2 and episodes)
Flying alien cyborg whales (another mouthful :lol: ) that are surprisingly very mobile and accurate, also they’re a bit unsettling.

7) Darknuts (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess & The Wind Waker)
My two favorite versions of this iconic Zelda enemy.

8) Leshens (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)
Another iconic enemies. Not the most dangerous foes but for me definitely the best monster design in the whole game.

9) Nekkers (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)
In packs, these little f*ckers are the most frenetic fights I’ve ever had in an RPG.

10) Tal’darim (StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void)
A vicious Protoss sect with more menacing war machines that the other tribes.

11) Supersoldaten (Wolfenstein: The New Order & The Old Blood)
Imposing and well-armed cyborgs with a cool retrofuturistic design.

12) Closers (Silent Hill 3)
Lumbering and quite frightening incarnations of Heather’s fears and traumas.

Yeah, I’m biased towards Half-Life 2 and The Witcher 3 but that’s because they’re the most fun I’ve ever had in videogame combat, plus nostalgia :smile:
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I hated at first, but ultimately eventually adored Grace and Glory in Bayonetta. Turned up mid level and ruining many a decent playthrough achievement level for me.

But when you figure out how to take them both down at the same time and use their weapons against them... man, that's satisfying.

http://bayonetta.wikia.com/wiki/Grace_and_Glory
Bluebird55

Post by Bluebird55 »

For me, it would have to be
- The Flood in the Halo series
- Teddys, Unicorns, etc. From Not The Cow Level in Diablo 3
- Dragons from Skyrim (basically pinãtas with bad breath)
- The minions on Yooka-Laylee
- Clannfear from Oblivion
- Boos from Mario series
- Chao from the Sonic Adventure series
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Tangentially related:

Mark there summing up in fifteen minutes a whole bunch of things that I had to learn the long way round over ten years or so of my career :)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Not so much a "favourite monster", so much as a monster that find strangely unsettling. You are free to make fun of me, because it is kinda lame. :D

I've been sinking quite a bit of time into Dragon Quest Builders, and of course you wonder around searching for resources, Minecraft-style, and in chapter 2 the search for trees to cut down brought me across Treeface:

It wasn't expecting the trees to attack me (this may be my first Dragon Quest), and despite the cute character designs the thought of trees coming to life and attacking me is kinda scary, especially when you are surrounded be trees!

Maybe it's because I recently went to Yakushima, a small island with trees that are thousands of years old, with massive root systems that snake through the forest floor, foliage that has grown on top of foliage. And if I was hiking through there as one of those trees sprouted a face and just started following me and attacking me in real life, I would be suitably traumatised by the experience!

And that it one of my irrational, goofy fears! :o
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I still think the living trees in The Wizard of Oz are pretty creepy so I get where you’re coming from.
Joshihatsumitsu

ratsoalbion wrote: September 26th, 2017, 1:33 am I still think the living trees in The Wizard of Oz are pretty creepy so I get where you’re coming from.
Oh god... they are creepy!

My parents own property, so I grew up surrounded by bushland, which is can be both remote and peaceful, and full of unseen (potential) threats (snakes, spiders, etc).

Giant spiders also freak me out. Regular spiders, not so much.
Barlow

Post by Barlow »

What a fantastic topic!
Here are a few off the top of my head this list simply represents what came to mind not my definitive top 5 monsters!

1. Silver Lynel Zelda BOTW- The Design of the beast lets you know that in the business of crushing puny elfs to dust they mean business. One of the first times I felt intimidated by the combat was facing up to this zebra, lion Brok Lesnar hybrid.
The first time you defeat one feels amazing and as time goes on the difficulty drop in defeating them is a great marker of the players progress.

2. Cactuar- Final Fantasy series

I am most familiar with the Final Fantasy 8 iteration but man was the design of these human cactus enough to make even Steven Seagall have a Cutegasm. Theres something about them that left an impression on my young mind and as many psone games do they have a certain calming and nostalgic aura about them,
Even if their facial expression is a look of pure terror. It helped I had a cactus in the backyard i dubbed cactuar that had prickly pears.

3. Licker Resident evil 2-
The stuff of Nightmares. Taking on one of these as a ten year old probably contributes more to child hood heart attacjks than coca cola. The brain design and the noises they make crawling along the roof is enoiugh to define survival horror.

4. Rolling Bug Sonic the hedgehog
I think the design of the rolling bug is iconic and it was the first video-game creature I committed murder upon.

5. Fish- Stardew Valley

Not that I would rank salmon amongst the most fierce videogame monsters the meditative nature of SDVs fishing minigame has them hit the list for me. The way that fishing ins tardew valley and other video games can make all your stress dissapate makes them an essential addition for me.

Honorable mention to the Harvest moon back to nature cow for being the greatest bovine.in gaming.

T
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I really enjoy the Sour Pinata in Viva Pinata. The skewing of their non-sour designs and the genuine fear and stress they cause in this otherwise peaceful environment really makes them stand out for me when I look back over my gaming history.

Also I love the implication that these are regular beings having been soured into bad behaviour by Pester, and effectively you reverse the process by treating them with kindness and patience and love.

Other highlights include the noonwraiths of the Witcher series - a perfect blend of gruesome and melancholy - and the Deathclaws of Fallout 3. I was so angry when they threw an easily defeated Deathclaw at the player right at the beginning of Fallout 4, and I think my reaction is a testament to how impactful those terrifying encounters were in the previous game.
Joshihatsumitsu

Barlow wrote: September 26th, 2017, 5:19 am2. Cactuar- Final Fantasy series
If there was ever a Nendoroid or Figma release of Cactuar, I would be parting with my money right now.

Square-Enix... easy money guys! do it!