E3 2017 - Conference times and general chat

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: E3 2017 - Conference times and general chat

Post by James »

Worth saying that the times in the original post are UK times (BST), and not GMT (darned IGN ;) ). There's also, as dez said, another PC Gamer/Intel show at 6pm (BST) on the Monday, in pretty much the old Microsoft slot. Apparently a Devolver Digital show too? No date or time for that one yet though.

Here's the current schedule:
(All times BST/UK, and 24hr clock; local time in Los Angeles is 8 hours behind)

Saturday 10th June 2017
EA - 20:00 BST

Sunday 11th June 2017
Microsoft - 22:00 BST
Bethesda - 03:00 BST (That's either very late Sunday night or very early Monday morning, depending on when your bedtime is ;) )

Monday 12th June 2017
PC - 18:00 BST
Ubisoft - 21:00 BST
Sony - 02:00 BST (Another early/late one)

Tuesday 13th June 2017
Nintendo - 17:00 BST

As usual, I'm planning to be on Skype chat for most (if not all) of the conferences, but will confirm nearer the time. Getting close, y'all! :mrgreen:
James

Post by James »

I've spent this evening trying to forget about the upcoming General Election here in Blighty by predicting some E3 happenings.

Linky-poo for anyone that fancies a look at my daft hopes and expectations...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zk7 ... sp=sharing

This is in no way comprehensive, just some things that came to mind and seemed interesting or fun.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Okay, let's have a look at your musings...
Microsoft drop a car from the ceiling
What the hell? :lol:
New Metroid announced, developed by retro Studios
New F-Zero announced
BE STILL MY BEATING HEART
James

Post by James »

Haha, a little jab at Microsoft's penchant for shiny, expensive set dressings, especially where Forza is concerned.

Metroid and F-Zero are pipe dreams really, but it does feel like Nintendo are more likely than ever to announce one or other (or both) of those. I hope!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I mean, I operate under the assumption that even if a new F-Zero were to ever be released, it just couldn't match let alone surpass GX. So with that out of the way, I certainly would like to see Nintendo give the series some much needed attention! Hard to believe that GX is already 14 years old... Hasn't aged a day, though.
James

Post by James »

Would you prefer a new F-Zero or a port of GX? If you could only have one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Who would be developing this "new F-Zero" of yours? A recreated Amusement Vision with a proper budget? Then I'd very much like to have that, please. But I have a nagging suspicion that Nintendo knows they wouldn't be able to top GX if developed internally, which is why the series has been dormant for so long. So with that in mind, I'd rather have a port of GX than a half-baked sequel. A proper port, though. Not a minimal-effort cash grab like RE4.

Edit: Online leaderboards alone would be a fantastic addition to the game.
James

Post by James »

Instant response is Sumo Digital, but their (excellent, IMO) racing game pedigree isn't really in the F-Zero style. Still, I'd put SD on most games, given half the chance. ;-)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I like Sonic Transformed as much as the next guy, but you'd really trust a western developer with this kind of arcadey, immensely high skill ceiling IP? Not trying to get all political or to rub anyone the wrong way, but I've never seen games of the pedigree of GX come out of anywhere other than Japan.
James

Post by James »

I haven't played an F-Zero since the first, so I've been getting my futuristic, arcade racing fix from Wipeout and (more recently) Fast RMX, both from Western devs. I don't doubt that these wouldn't pass muster with a more-accomplished F-Zero fan, but they're good enough for me.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Don't get me wrong, Wipeout is great in its own right. Fantastic presentation and all. But F-Zero's depth and responsiveness is on another level. Have you not played GX? That's a shame, but the GameCube was hardly the most popular console of its day. A port would certainly make this gem available to a broader audience. Best racing game ever created, in my humble opinion. It's that good.
James

Post by James »

I barely played any console games after the SNES until Xbox 360. A port would certainly tempt me in, otherwise I'm not likely to be easily able to play it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sumo did some fairly sterling work bringing GTI Club to PS3 and Virtua Tennis to 360, so I'd be up for them bringing GX to Switch (although Nintendo could handle it themselves a la Wind Waker HD, or give it to Tantalus (Twilight Princess), or Grezzo (Majora's Mask 3D).

It'll probably just get a standard def GCVC release though...
James

Post by James »

Well, the Nintendo Classics on Switch are supposed to have online features added, so at least there's some hope that maybe (if VC reaches as far forward as GameCube) GX could have leaderboards included. But, yeah, no need for Nintendo to reach out for a port or even a remaster, I'd venture.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

To be fair, a simple VC release wouldn't be the end of the world for me, even though I'd prefer an HD remaster if given the choice. The game still looks great and has a built-in widescreen mode. It's not just nostalgia talking btw, I've played it as recently as yesterday.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

EA on Saturday then. I've seen too many of these to know that they're a bit of a bore but maybe Star Wars will liven it up?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, and another one: I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a japanese trailer for a Yakuza 2 remaster using the Zero engine, in the style of Kiwami for PS4. JPN release: Spring 2018, Western release: Fall/Winter 2018. And if not at E3, then later this year.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, I'd be surprised if that made an appearance at E3, but I completely agree that remastering 2 would make a lot of sense. Kiwami and 0 seemed to do well over here, as well as in Japan (entirely anecdotally, of course).

I'd like them to remaster the lot to be honest. It'd give me the impetus to play the series.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm hoping for a lot of Sega announcements this E3. They've been gaining momentum lately!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

dezm0nd wrote: June 9th, 2017, 12:20 pm I'm hoping for a lot of Sega announcements this E3. They've been gaining momentum lately!
Man I hope you're right. They've got so much incredible IP laying dormant that means a lot to me and would love to see brought back. If a new Panzer Dragoon ever gets announced......I would be such a happy boy.

I fully realise this won't happen of course, and in the unlikely event that it does at some point it's not a big enough franchise to feature on anyone's e3 stage. Best I can hope for is that Microsoft announce some sort of back compat feature or at least digital marketplace for original Xbox games that includes Panzer Dragoon Orta. Fantastic game, and while it was backwards compatible on X360 it featured a game breaking bug that means it's not properly playable other than on original hardware.