What should i play ? [ps4 edition]

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
macstat

What should i play ? [ps4 edition]

Post by macstat »

Finally after all those years of being mostly PC gamer im getting a console ;) My friend just upgraded to PS4 pro and he sold me his old PS4 for really low price.
This is where you guys come in. I could use some suggestions, what games I should play (that i couldnt play on pc)? Right now im thinking about Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne. Anything else ?

Also how's the backward compatibility of PS4 ? I havent played Red Dead so im hope that is an option.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: What should i play ?

Post by ratsoalbion »

The PS4 has no backwards compatibility out of the box. You can buy some upscaled PS2 games from the store or you can subscribe to PSNow and stream some PS3 titles, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Also, worth noting that the PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption falls some way short of the 360 in terms of looks and performance so best played on an Xbox One. Same with Bayonetta (although that is also available on Steam now of course).

I haven't played HZD yet but both our Jay and Glen here rave about it.

Bloodborne is certainly an exclusive worth playing. You might be interested in Nioh too.

Resogun is probably still my favourite PS4 game (although not exclusive as it was ported to PS3 and Vita), along with Nex Machina (which is also on PC) by the same developer.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'll second the Bloodborne and Resogun recommendations. Both are some of the very best games in their respective genres, although you probably shouldn't jump blindly into Bloodborne if you aren't a fan of the Dark Souls formula to begin with.

PS4 has no backwards compatibility unfortunately, but it does have a good number of last-gen ports to compensate for it. If you like spectacular character action games, you might want to take a look at God of War 3 for example. The game is fairly cheap now and should give you a good idea of one of the best console-exclusive series in recent times.

I wanted to suggest the Resident Evil Origins Collection, but it apparently was stealth-released on Steam as well? Still worth buying if you haven't already and are interested in classic RE games.

Yakuza 0 came out earlier this year if you're looking for something very different. Great entry point into one of the best under-the-radar series out there.

Do you like futuristic racers? Wipeout Omega Collection.

The Last of Us and the Uncharted Collection come to mind as well. I'm not a huge fan of either of them, but they do have a lot of fans, so perhaps they'll be up your alley?

Finally, PSN Sales are regularly offering some great indie games for fantastic prices, so keep an eye out for these!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

If you're in to that kind of thing, Beyond Two Souls is very good. It comes in a double pack with Heavy Rain so you have all the [insert fulsome praise/expletives as desired] bases covered there :D

Also in a double pack, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, if you have been console-free for that length of time.

Journey I suppose.

Since Journey, Heavy Rain etc came out quite a while ago, they are no longer as unique as they once were.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Horizon is good one to start especially if you like open world games and sci-fi stories,the narrative here is actually really good, and while you can put alot of hours into it the game is relativilly short in comparison to the gargantuan task that is completeting the Witcher 3 so it shouldnt take you that much time.

If you're looking for a challenge I would recommend Nioh it's a mix of dark souls a Ninja gaiden and it's incredible good, Bloodborne is also great and unlike Nioh you can probably get the complete edition with the DLC in tow.

Another game that I'd recommend is free on PS plus now and it's Until Dawn so hurry up and get that one! To me it's the best of your interactive movie/choose your own adventure/telltale game out there the setting is your regular horror slasher flick but the execution is really, the game knows what it is and plays alot with your expectations it's alot of fun.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Uncharted Collection then Uncharted 4. You can skip the first three games, but the story won't be half as fun in the fourth if you do. There seems to have been a bit of an Uncharted backlash in recent years - ignore them. They're hugely enjoyable games and have some of the best characters in gaming.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The CaR team is quite divided as regards to fans and non-fans of Uncharted.

I would anticipate that even those who don't enjoy those games (for their own, entirely legitimate reasons) would suggest that you play them and make your own mind up.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:16 pm Also in a double pack, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, if you have been console-free for that length of time.
On PS4?!
If PS3 was on the table, there'd be a lot more to recommend. Doesn't seem like this is the case, however.
Chopper wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:16 pm Journey I suppose.

Since Journey, Heavy Rain etc came out quite a while ago, they are no longer as unique as they once were.
I'll second Journey, but I really don't think that age should be a detracting factor, especially in this case.
Alex79uk wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:44 pm There seems to have been a bit of an Uncharted backlash in recent years - ignore them.
Bit harsh, no? There is some perfectly valid criticism aimed at the Uncharted series. But I agree that everyone should make up their own mind.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I am in the same boat as the OP having just got hold of a PS4 so this is a great thread for me!

As for Journey, it's currently free on the PlayStation store. Really can't argue with that!
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 21st, 2017, 8:03 pm
Chopper wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:16 pm Also in a double pack, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, if you have been console-free for that length of time.
On PS4?!
If PS3 was on the table, there'd be a lot more to recommend. Doesn't seem like this is the case, however.
Ah! My mistake, apologies if I got the OP's hopes up. I could have sworn I saw that pack on the PS4 store but obviously not. That's what I get for coming on to big up David Cage and trying to flesh out my post so it didn't look totally unnatural :oops:

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 21st, 2017, 8:03 pm I'll second Journey, but I really don't think that age should be a detracting factor, especially in this case.
Sure, but what I was getting at is that there have been a lot of games that Journey will have influenced since then, and we've seen the rise of the Walking Simulator as a genre, so it's probably not as 'unique' an experience as it was originally. I wasn't keen on it personally, but it's definitely worth checking out.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Thanks guys for all recommendations :). I can't believe I forgot about some obvious things like Uncharted :P

What about that Last Guardian game? There were so many expectations before it came out. Is it any good? Not asking if it lived up to the expectations cause that's probably impossible ;)
Chopper

Re: What should i play ? [ps4 edition]

Post by Chopper »

The consensus on here about The Last Guardian, is that it is flawed but well worth playing. Most of the frustrations stem from the awkward controls, I think. As the game goes on it becomes more cinematic and less dependent on the controls, and is better for that.

It does plenty of interesting things and is just lovely, so well worth picking up.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 21st, 2017, 8:03 pm
Alex79uk wrote: July 21st, 2017, 5:44 pm There seems to have been a bit of an Uncharted backlash in recent years - ignore them.
Bit harsh, no? There is some perfectly valid criticism aimed at the Uncharted series. But I agree that everyone should make up their own mind.
Well, I don't know. I think that a lot of the criticism levelled at the games is quite unfair. They're cover shooters, and if you go in expecting that I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a puzzle based actual adventure, however, and then get annoyed there are too many fire fights you're in trouble. It would be like complaining God Of War has too much fighting, or Mario has too much jumping. I think they're excellent at what they do. But as you say, people should make their own mind up.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A lot of people don't like them because they find the shooting itself unsatisfactory for a cover-based shooter...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah, my issues with the Uncharted games lie with the shallowness of the mechanics and the low quality of the encounter design. The fact that they're cover-based shooters is not what bothers me in and of itself.

I think that it very much depends on what kind of player you are. If you're the window shopping type who plays through games once in order to enjoy the spectacle, I think you'll have a good time with them due to the high quality cutscene direction and visual presentation. But if you're the type who looks for deep and rewarding mechanics, you'll probably end up disappointed.

I don't think it's unfair to let macstat know of the divisive nature of the series so that he can know what to expect going in.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

macstat wrote: July 22nd, 2017, 7:36 am Thanks guys for all recommendations :). I can't believe I forgot about some obvious things like Uncharted :P

What about that Last Guardian game? There were so many expectations before it came out. Is it any good? Not asking if it lived up to the expectations cause that's probably impossible ;)
Well it was my game of the year of 2016 so I think is well worth playing XD but before playing it I would recommend playing ICO and Shadow of Colossus first just so you see where it's lineage comes from.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

A few that others haven't mentioned but are absolutely worth play:

- The Last Of Us Remastered (can't believe no one's mentioned this unless I missed it!)
- Until Dawn (edit - just saw todinho mentioned this! I heartily second his call!)
- Velocity 2X
- Unfinished Swan
- Tearaway Unfolded (I've not played this PS4 version, but have a real soft spot for the Vita Original)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hey, I mentioned TLoU! I have my issues with the game (mostly due to its undeniable Uncharted DNA), but it's definitely a must play for its narrative qualities alone.

Unfinished Swan looks really cool, I really must get around to play it sometimes.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I stand corrected! Knew you had good taste ;)
And you should definitely check out Unfinished Swan. Lovely game!
macstat

Post by macstat »

So apparently my friend let me use his psn account, so i have a bunch of games to start with (journey,bloodborne, uncharted, last of us, little big planet, until dawn and couple more) :) I also found Last Guardian on polish ebay for really low price. That should be enough for a while :)