Annoying Gaming Lexicon

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Annoying Gaming Lexicon

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Less annoying gaming lexicon, more Street Fighter related:

I work at a university library, and in our collection you can find a DVD copy of "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li". It's in remarkably good condition, almost as if no one has watched it...

Of course, I have watched it, and whenever I need an accurate or definitive "fact" about a character, or how a name is pronounced, clearly this is the source one goes to. ;) (Trolling alert level: red)

It is mostly a boring movie, but damn if I don't love Chris Klein's performance kind of is the highlight. "Nash out!"... it's wonderfully terrible!
James

Post by James »

I've never seen it, sadly, but... oh, it is on Netflix. Well, I guess we know what I'm watching with lunch! :ugeek:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Sadly it’s not a ‘good’ bad movie, like the Dead or Alive one, it’s just bad.
James

Post by James »

"A wilfully pure form of evil lives. A lithe hero must summon a deeper power -- with the aid of Bangkok's kinkiest cops."

I dunno. It sounds bloody brilliant! ;)
James

Post by James »

Well, that was an... interesting watch. Given how far they had to twist and remove some characters from their well-established backgrounds in the series, I'm not entirely sure why (or even that) it's a Street Fighter film at all.

Bobbins/10 :|

For the record, I'm absolutely all for films taking a loose interpretation of source material. Often this is necessary to provide a cohesive setting/story suited to the medium. I do tend to prefer this to be in service of establishing a tone or exploring themes in line with the source though, otherwise why bother adapting at all?

(I know, I know, it's a known property that can tempt morons like me to watch the damned thing :oops: )
Joshihatsumitsu

James wrote: August 7th, 2017, 1:33 pm(I know, I know, it's a known property that can tempt morons like me to watch the damned thing :oops: )
That movie is definitely an experience... at least now you can say you've seen it. Not much of victory, but , hey, gotta look at the bright side! :D

I still have JCVD's Guile speech in my head from the 1994 movie:

I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up-river, and I'm going to kick that son-of-a-bitch Bison's ass so HARD... that the next Bison wanna-be is gonna feel it!

I'm a sucker for wonderful trash! :P

Minor edit: for some reason, in the year of 2017, I can easily imagine Donald Trump giving that Guile speech... it feels strangely in line with his behaviour. :shock:
Craig

Post by Craig »

1994 movie is pretty terrible but it's also very enjoyable because of its ridiculousness, mostly for Raul Julia's Bison completely leaning into how silly it all is.

I love that JDC plays an all American Hero with no attempt to hide his accent. It's pretty funny that depending on the actor, the pronunciation of Ryu is different, but that's probably one of the more realistic aspects of the movie even if it may not have been intentional.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, it's very much SF: The Movie's self-awareness that endeared me to it, and I get the impression that that's true for others too. My memory is that it treads a fine line (not necessarily intentionally) between earnestness and tongue-in-cheek, which means the viewer is never under the impression that it's made to be taken seriously.

Probably giving it way too much credit, but accidental fun is still fun!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The original Mortal Kombat movie falls in the same category for me, but sticks much more closely to the source material.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Of the ones based on fighting games, the first Mortal Kombat one is probably the ‘best’. It’s still silly, but it’s much more knowing and happily leans into the silliness rather than pretending it’s not there.

I also like the DOA one, because it’s dedication to the source material is so great that they manage to get beach volleyball into the plot for no other reason than there’s a beach volleyball spinoff game.

The live action Tekken movie is pretty decent, but it’s barely a Tekken movie in terms of using anything recognisable. The King of Fighters movie is truly awful, although it’s clear Ray Park was having a blast making it, it doesn’t feel like anyone else in it was :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The Tekken movie does have some surprisingly good fight choreography, though. I'll give it that.
It helps when you hire proper talent, after all.
Joshihatsumitsu

It's strange that these fighting based games with minimal to no story lead to (mostly) dumb, fun films, while more narrative (though not solely) based games, like Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed lead themselves to self-serious, 2hr+ slogs. Though you like what you like at the end of the day.

To steer it back towards annoying gaming lexicon, I've been trying hard to think of anything that really bothers me (Alex the Kidd aside). "Indie" doesn't annoy me, so much as I find the word a bit vague, similar to "rogue-like" - my brain can't put something together based on those vague terms.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Genres are funny things. Cast your net too wide and the term loses meaning and usefulness (see "pop" music). Cast it too narrow and you delve into tedious and frankly pointless conversations about whether something is or isn't in the genre, often venerating a small amount of works and at worst stifling creativity, diminishing those who deviate from this mold. Oddly, Metroidvania can fall into both camps depending on where on the internet you're talking!