Path of Exile

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
macstat

Path of Exile

Post by macstat »

I noticed some interest in PoE, partly thanks to XBone release so im starting this thread where we can share our experiences, questions builds etc ;)

In Harbringer league i managed to level two characters.

Level 82 Sunder berserker with two handed axe. He pummels the ground and creates 3 consecutive shockwaves. I put a lot into speed and life leech so i can face-tank a lot of content.

Level 77 Glacial cascade mine saboteur. This one was rather unconventional since community doesn't like mines (they require you to put down mine and then detonate, people tend to use traps over mines since they dont require detonate). But this one proved very effective because of Tremor Rod staff that makes my mines explode twice which is amazing boost. This build was a bit trickier than the one before because its more squishy so i need to pay more attention but its fun as hell.

At some point, i probably start making my favorite build ever which is flicker strike, which is basically guided teleport with a melee attack. When done right and with a bit of luck you can go through a map with just holding a button. Its very satisfying when you can pull it off.
Flabyo

Re: Path of Exile

Post by Flabyo »

As I'm not really familiar with the end-game, and this is my first play through, I'm not bothering to look up anything about builds etc... at this point.

I'm playing the ranger, I tend to go for bow characters in RPGs in general for first playthroughs, and I already have some nice combinations of gems to do really quite silly things with elemental damage and multi-shots.

The gem system is very Final Fantasy 7 isn't it?
James

Post by James »

Quite interested in this, as macstat says, prompted by the Xbox One release. Am I in for a rough time, having never played a Diablo? The closest I've come is Torchlight, but an endgame difficulty spike put me off sticking with that series beyond the first on XBLA.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It doesn’t feel too difficult to me so far. It is a fairly complex game though, and it doesn’t handhold you through everything. There’s a lot of in game help screens you can access though, and I’ve not felt that I’ve been unable to figure something out without a few minutes of digging.

I’d say it’s more deep and rewarding than Diablo 3, but is a little less accessible and polished than that title. It’s defintely more complex than torchlight, but not as complex as, say, something like Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It can be overwhelming when you look at the talent tree but with a little bit of ignorance to it and you'll find a fun and reward action rpg.

Good game though. Played it through on PC and tempted to start again on Xbox One.
macstat

Post by macstat »

The first major spike in difficulty comes when you reach chapter 5 (equivalent of Cruel difficulty before recent expansion) when you get first drops in elemental resistance and things start to hit harder.
If you plan your build around damage nodes in passive trees at some point you're gonna hit that wall where you just get one shotted by a lot of things, and since its very expensive to change your tree you can say that character is bricked and its time to create another one which is planned better for the future.
I would say this is main difficulty of the game, learning meta game, synergies between skills and starting all over again. Good thing is that by meta game i dont mean "you need to play skill X or you wont succeed". There are a lot of viable builds that can take you far in this game. But you need to think about some general guidelines when you plan your build like "you should have X life or energy shield on this level to withstand attacks from bosses" etc.