All things DOOM

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: All things DOOM

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote:I am a little nervous having read about the final boss being one tough mother though!
You'll feel more fulfilled than frustrated I'm sure.

It's a classic, old school boss fight. Very well handled.

I'm still massively impressed by this game.

Not that I've been back to it since though I have to say.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, only thing is it does take up a heck of a lot of hard drive space, and also makes my (recently cleaned and otherwise quiet) PS4 blow hard.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

ratsoalbion wrote:I'm a couple of levels from the end of my first play-through of very DOOM (2016). The Cyber Demon boss took me out a few times before I prevailed. The next boss seems easier on first inspection (that's where I'll be going back to but I got his health bar right down on my first attempt). I am a little nervous having read about the final boss being one tough mother though!

Naturally I've missed tons of secrets and collectables. Now, did anybody go through and locate the secret levers that unlock the 'classic' levels remade?
Too be honest, I decided to ignore the map after awhile. Got too frustrated by spending ages trying to find something I could see on the map, so I decided to just explore naturally like a Souls games. Much more enjoyable.

The final boss is tough, but not frustrating in the way the final boss for Wolfenstein: The New Order is.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

ratsoalbion wrote: Naturally I've missed tons of secrets and collectables. Now, did anybody go through and locate the secret levers that unlock the 'classic' levels remade?
Yeah I pretty much did it all other than complete a level on the hardest difficulty. They're not entirely remade levels but rather like RAGE, they're small, iconic locations from DOOM 1 and 2.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but Doom 2016 is really impressive. I don't think I've enjoyed the simple act of moving in a FPS so much since Unreal Tournament, and once the music is pumping, guns are firing and demons are falling it becomes a zen-like experience. Bravo id, bravo
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I just completed the campaign yesterday and yep, I loved it too.
Titanfall's locomotion right is up there for me as well.
Suits

Post by Suits »

'very' Doom impressed me so much. It was everything I hoped it would be and more.

It also restored my faith in FPS's to a degree, as I'd felt the genre was a little stale personally and introduced new, exciting mechanics that made the game enjoyable from start to finish.

Easily by far my most enjoyable game this year.
SnakeyDave

Post by SnakeyDave »

LOVED DOOM (2016) though maybe a shade too long?

Also, while I liked that it was essentially an arena combat game, it's hard to remember individual sequences because the combat loop was based around enemies teleporting into closed rooms which you barrel around in for an exciting 5 minutes. It's less a flaw, and more a design decision that has some negative consequences. Because enemies aren't 'tied' to the environment as they are in some shooters, the environment is relegated to only being a setting for great encounters rather than central to the experience.

Luckily, everything else is great. Slick, fast, ultra-violent, yes yes yes.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I recently bought DOOM on account of the praise it's been getting around these parts. I wish I could tell how much I enjoyed playing the game, but I was instead greeted by a 30.021 GB update which is apparently going to take several hours to complete.

I sure do miss the days of buying finished, properly developed games and putting the disc into your console, ready to spend a nice evening without having to worry about this kind of nonsense.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Okay, so DOOM then...

I've been a handheld / console player all my life, which means that I've been missing out on a lot of PC-based genres over the years, including fast-paced arcade-style FPSs. I've never played the original DOOM, Quake, Duke Nukem, Unreal Tournament or any others of that ilk. Instead, the game that introduced me to the genre and which will probably always remain my primary FPS reference is the original Halo and his sequels. Unfortunately, I've slowly but surely found myself drifting away from the genre ever since the rise of military shooters in the late 2000's, a subgenre I find to be extremely trite and unpleasant in more ways than one.

I therefore didn't pay much attention to DOOM when it was released, but the incessant praise surrounding it (especially around here) has convinced me to give it a try after all. And what an incredible game this is! I now finally understand why PC purists are so critical of console-style shooters, this really is a different beast entirely. The combat system is just so energetic and enjoyable. The weapons all pack a hell of a punch and feel entirely different from one another. The melee system is one of the best risk-vs.-reward mechanic I know of. The enemies are really varied and their animations are top-notch. Every encounter is tense and frenetic, but without ever feeling unfair or cheap. And the level design is probably the best I've ever experienced in the genre! Every level is so delightfully convoluted, just brimming with secret corners and collectibles that are genuinely fun to search for, unlike the boring checklist they so often are.

In short: I really like it. I can totally see why people are calling it one of the best FPSs in recent times, and I'm inclined to agree. I've only played about half of the campaign, but I can't wait to dive back in as soon as possible, and I really want to check out Arcade Mode afterwards, too! Not really that interested in the multiplayer, to be honest.

I do have three minor complaints, though.

The aforementioned gigantic patch / install size is just obscene. I can only imagine how frustrated people with garbage internet connections must feel when dealing with this nonsense. Especially since the bulk of that data is just multiplayer content which could have easily been turned into an optional download.

This one is more of an industry-wide pet peeve of mine, but the lack of customizable controls is just borderline unacceptable in my opinion. I find it especially difficult to adapt to different control schemes in FPSs, probably due to the "life-like" emulation aspect of the design. I don't see what would be so difficult about giving players a basic button remapping option.

The overall aesthetics are just... meh. Very juvenile and tasteless. I understand the whole hyper-macho 80's style they're going for, but I do find it rather off-putting and unpleasant. This of course also ties into the "story". Thankfully, it's not enough to counter-balance the fantastic gameplay, but let's just say I wouldn't have any interest whatsoever in a movie or a comic book based in that universe.
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Are you sure the controls aren't customizable?

I'm left handed and as such, when I play games, I always rebind the controls away from WASD as that is not practical for me, I tend to use the arrow keys and the surrounding keys for functions such as Jump and Crouch (Num Pad 1 & 0), reload (4) Run (Right Shift) and use (Enter) instead. Pretty sure I was able to do that with Doom otherwise I wouldn't have got very far with it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

There are a handful of control scheme presets to choose from, but no way to re-assign each button individually, unfortunately.

I'm playing the PS4 version, btw. Maybe that's why.
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Ah I see, that'd be it then!
Stanshall

Doom (Switch Edition)

Post by Stanshall »

First off, you can get this for £35 digital on the South African eShop.

Second, I never really played Doom on any other formats, even the originals, and didn't much like what I played of the PS4 demo.

And, I don't like this. It's too fast, perhaps, for the small screen and the lower res and generally uniform palette makes it hard to pick enemies out. I've yet to try it with reduced motion blur, and I have been up all night spewing, but I didn't enjoy the twenty minutes I put in this morning. The controls are also too stiff for such a fast paced game, I was constantly making little micro-adjustments.

It's also made me question FPS on handheld and first person games full stop, and now I think I may also give Skyrim a swerve.

I feel like a paradigm shift is happening in my brain. Maybe not everything is best on Switch.
Suits

Re: Doom (Switch Edition)

Post by Suits »

Interesting stuff man.

I played Doom on the Xbox One when it came out and loved every second of it.

I’ve picked it up on Switch mainly to play it through again as I enjoyed it so much, to support the system and was thinking about giving the MP more of a chance.

I plan to play this almost exclusively in handheld mode.

To hear your experience is concerning and does make sense.

Having spent so much time with the original release I’m sure I’ll be on alert for its little adjustments on this version, hopefully it won’t affect me as bad as it did yourself.

I’m looking forward to trying it out tonight, when it arrives.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Well, I may have jumped the gun a bit. Having turned offer motion blur it's better in terms of visibility. I'd say it's visually in the 'good enough' camp, and the colour palette is obviously no different to any other versions. If you're a fan of the XB version then I expect you'll get into the swing much better than me. It did make my head spin a bit but then it's probably one of the worst possible games to play when you have a vomiting bug! I can't return it anyway because it's digital but I can see myself dipping in when I fancy a shooter on the go.

Still not convinced by Skyrim though now, especially if it's the same resolution. I don't know anything about that though yet.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: November 10th, 2017, 12:46 pm Still not convinced by Skyrim though now, especially if it's the same resolution. I don't know anything about that though yet.
I think it's pretty much been confirmed that it's the (re-mastered) Xbox One, PS4 version as opposed to the 360, PS3 version.

I simply love that game and always get lost and wrapped up in it, so I'll be all over that one for sure.

I'm going for an unarmed, Khajiit build, this time through.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: November 10th, 2017, 11:25 am It's also made me question FPS on handheld and first person games full stop

I feel like a paradigm shift is happening in my brain. Maybe not everything is best on Switch.
I've ranted before about how I believe that consoles and handhelds are best suited for their own respective design philosophies, and I completely agree with you on this. Fast-paced FPSs are exactly the kind of games I don't think belong on handhelds whatsoever. They demand a high level of visibility and ergonomy that handhelds simply can't provide.

There is this general, borderline cultural conception floating around about the value and importance of hybrid devices. I think it's a very misleading one and that concerns about their innate drawbacks are too often being dismissed as a result. People rush to buy the latest smartphone claiming to combine 54 different devices into one, only to later realize that it simply won't have the portability of conventional MP3 players, the picture quality of a digital camera, or even just the robust reliability of old-school dumbphones, for example. I think the Switch marketing tapped right into that mindset, with adverts mostly focusing on the multi-functionality of the device. I don't know how people were expecting it to work in practice...

So no, not everything is best on Switch. Or at least, not every game is suited for both handheld and TV play. It's an absurd notion to begin with. Options are great, but not when they come at the cost of structural integrity.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Same here, absolutely adore it...and just got it on the One X to see if it's any better than the PS4. I am beyond help. If reviews are good, I'll triple dip...

Admittedly, my PS4 is dead. That's my excuse.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Skyrim is out for PSVR in a couple of weeks, you could LIVE the game this time round ;)

Reddit is full of people saying things like, "Man I'll be able to go to the Drunken Nag and listen to the barman telling me how the inn got its name. I've heard that story eight or nine times already, but this time I'll be standing there looking him in the eye when he tells me!!" :D