All things DOOM

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: Doom (Switch Edition)

Post by Suits »

There was a patch the other day that added motion controls and a few other improvements to the Switch version.

A major improvement it seems that the game has received a much needed boost to it's resolution.

Below are some before and after type shots.

Decent.

https://imgur.com/a/mTJQZ
JaySevenZero
Admin

DOOM (2016)

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your memories and opinions of DOOM (2016) for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

Friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Mechner

Re: 367: DOOM (2016)

Post by Mechner »

Doom 2016 was a welcomed breath of fresh air in the FPS genre, it captures and builds on the original, all while being it's own thing. I am so glad it did not have "regenerating" health. Beautifully fast and gorgeously gory! The world building was fabulous and the sudo retcon/reboot style narrative elements had me digging deeper into the lore than I thought I would have. It is a 10/10 for me! Can't wait for Doom Eternal!
RCheeze

Post by RCheeze »

By nearly every surface measurement, Doom is a game that shouldn’t appeal to me. I like a good first person shooter here and there - Halo, Destiny, the Metro series come to mind - but the 2016 Doom reboot came off as just too “edgy” and agro. While I enjoy playing the original Doom, the whole death metal and satanic imagery on display in the reboot was just not my cup of tea. But after trying out the demo on my Xbox One in 2017, I found myself amazed at the gameplay, art style and overall balance between shooting and movement. I picked it up a short while later for $20 and blew through the game in a few months. Doom 2016 is incredible because it is a modern game with a decidedly retro feel and structure, appearing almost antithetical to our modern sensibilities on how FPS games should be. Levels have clear beginnings and ends, shooting is fast, reloading is absent and you can carry a whole arsenal of weapons. It plays more like an arcade game with Doom Guy’s fast movement and the way in which you can level down enemies using not just your bullets but glory kills as well. It’s awesome seeing a reboot retain the fundamentals of what made the original incarnation great, while layering on enough new elements to keep it engaging. Doom 2016 deserves your attention.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

(Author's Note: I was gonna wait til closer to the actual episode, but I pretty much wrote the entire post in my head, so here goes).

DOOM 2016 is best described as a game where you punch demons in the face a lot. And when you punch demons in the face, they explode into a magnificent blood fiesta. If you run low on ammo, you can chainsaw a demon in half for LOTS of ammo, like an ammo piñata. In you run low on health, you can rip off a demon's leg and practice your golf swing on its face.

Honestly, there isn't much more to be said. If that doesn't sound fun, something like Stardew Valley might be more your thing.

Speaking of games that are not DOOM, DOOM 2016 is kind of like a can of paint - the primer is DOOM 1993, but the pigments that add SO much colour come in the form of Mirror's Edge parkour and platforming, Unreal Tournament twitch shooter arenas and powerups, and Half-Life narrative where the action almost never stops and the environment itself has a story to tell. If you really think about it, the only vestiges of Original DOOM are the big, open levels with lots of secrets and hidden goodies, and the title itself. Everything else pulls superbly from elements the shooter genre has evolved over 20+ years of development.

But what makes DOOM so great is that you can punch demons in the face a lot. It succeeds in its brilliantly stupid simplicity. And while complex and profound narratives are one of the best parts of gaming and games criticism... Sometimes ya just want to punch a demon in the face!
Rich Uncle Skeleton

Post by Rich Uncle Skeleton »

I know Thumper was marketed as a "Rhythm Violence" game, but I feel that description is just as apt for Doom 2016. It never seems to lose the beat in it's deployment of enemies or platforming challenges, and rewards the player for figuring out the tempo of each encounter. Also, it cannot be understated how much more believable a game's narrative becomes when the protagonist is actually established to be an unbeatable demon slayer...I'd be much more inclined to take the Uncharted series seriously if the enemies soiled themselves at the sight of mass-murderer Nathan Drake and his pistol.
Golar

Post by Golar »

I have a strange habit of clenching my jaw with sheer resolve and concentration when I play a particularly challenging section of a game. When I finally overcome the challenge, I'm not only elated to feel like a verified hardcore badass, I'm also relieved that I can release my clenched jaw.

Constructed exclusively from those challenging sections, my playthrough of Doom on Ultra-Violence gave me a permanent and painful case of lockjaw. As Doomguy pirouetted through the air like a Catherine Wheel of rockets and buckshot, I ground my teeth into powder. I've never had such a facial workout from a game. I now have jaw muscles like Doomguy's shoulder pads.

At all times exhilirating, I always felt on the very edge of certain peril. This game is about taking impulsive, suicidal risks and them paying off massively. It's about perfectly choreographing a gruesome series of gunshots and melee kills to stay alive.

Doom very successfully takes the purest videogame concept any 90s action junkie could only dream of and makes it a reality in the modern era.

An absolute jawbreaking triumph.
iHateNumbers23

Post by iHateNumbers23 »

Doom 2016 is the best shooter in years, and yet it falls short in the same way many of its contemporaries have. Let me explain.

To state the obvious: Doom 2016 revamps the level design and enemy encounters of the 1993 original, which in and of itself makes it stand out compared to the linear military shooters of the past decade - irrespective of their setting being WWII, the present day or the near future.

It struck me how much the experience of playing Doom 2016 for the first time mirrors that of 2001’s Halo: Combat Evolved. Expansive levels wow in the early hours, varied enemies continue to mix up the encounters, expertly crafted weaponry provides plenty of ways to engage and an overall sense of fluidity all make the early hours of both titles pure bliss. However, as the game reaches its halfway point, something starts to detract from the overall enjoyment. In Halo it was the Flood and recurring maps that removed much of the tactical variety in the game’s second half - in Doom, it’s essentially repetition and a lack of true progression. Upgrades are largely superfluous, bosses are few and far between and even the asmittedly large variety of enemies can’t quite surprise anymore. Ultimately, it may take longer for Doom 2016 to wear thin than many a military shooter, but it does do so in the end for the same reason. There are just a few too many closed-off micro-arenas filled with imps and more sizable demonfolk for each encounter to truly feel special. Turns out you can have too much of a good thing.

However, what needn’t be forgotten is how much Doom, or more specifically the Doomslayer himself, throws up a gigantic middle finger to some of modern gaming’s sensibilities about storytelling. A high-tech irreplaceable gizmo that needs to be treated carefully? Thwonk. Some gibberish about Argent Energy? Do go away, I have demons to shoot. The Doomslayer doesn’t care about the story, and you don’t need to either. The plot as presented isn’t all that memorable either: all I remember is the existsnce of an outwardly friendly malevolent corporate culture, the exploitation of hell power and some robot guy with a sword. I normally pay attention to this kind of stuff, but as any proper Doomslayer role-player would, I just didn’t. Kill demons. Done.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

It struck me how much the experience of playing Doom 2016 for the first time mirrors that of 2001’s Halo: Combat Evolved.
This.

Everyone talked about 2016 Doom being so revolutionary, but all I could think was that more than anything it just seemed like a throwback to the time before almost every single fps title was trying to emulate CoD. I loved it.

It also, with it's disregard for cover mechanics and emphasis on glory kills, somewhat reminded me of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - a game I'm very fond of and consider really underrated.
xbenblasterx

Post by xbenblasterx »

I'm struggling to find the best way to describe DOOM 2016 without descending into hyperbole (and well all know the C&R view on that). So i'll try and say this briefly.

As a big fan of the original games, i had some high expectations for this reworking of DOOM and i can happily say it met all of them.

I thoroughly enjoyed every moment i spent with DOOM, incredible character/monster design, and some of the best gunplay in any game i've ever played, all this easily made DOOM my game of the year... oh and who can forget that soundtrack!

I've returned to the game time and time again on higher difficulties and every time i come away with a smile on my face, i can quite happily say that DOOM 2016 is one of my favourite games ever. Full stop.

Can't wait for the sequel!
*revving chainsaw noise*
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

DOOM does an immense job at building on what the original game did so brilliantly whilst feeling like a robust, slick modern day title.

The amazing heavy metal music is the star of the show but add in big weapons with swear words in their title, fiery demons, journeys to hell and gameplay that forces you to never stand still and it all felt very DOOM.

I played it on Switch and spent many commutes slightly struggling with the controls until I could get home and play it with a Pro Controller, but equally marveling that I was playing a game of this ilk on a portable device.

When it flows well and sticks to what it does best, DOOM is incredible. Strafing around windswept barren landscapes crowd controlling the relentless barrage of enemies whilst improvising with whatever ammo you find and saving the most highly powered melee upgrade for the right moment is a thrill. Reminiscent of scoring a last second winner in Rocket League or taking a battle royale victory, it felt an adrenalin rush where you teetered on the edge of constant failure and felt unbridled joy when you came out the other side. The enemies also kept it interesting with huge variety in how they behave, react to you and move, needing different tactics to overcome.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the campaign length; I didn't really need a sensible story and found the first half of the game a total thrill ride but the latter a bit of a slog. I was loving Hell after the original few colony station levels but going back there for a repeat ride felt unnecessary; I wanted to battle in Hades for those final hours. It felt like it could have been half the length to me, which may also have stopped the enemy variation slowing down towards the end.

I could never decide about the platforming either. I sometimes liked the hidden secrets and opportunities to breathe and reload between fights, but also found that those sections sometimes proved to be exercises in wandering around aimlessly that killed the flow of the arena battles.

Playing some of the levels in isolation in Arcade Mode devoid of a story and campaign structure has actually worked far better for me since completion.

But I'm largely nitpicking. Given the legacy of the game that came before it, the game id created was great fan service and one of the best reinventions of a series I can recall.

(And I LOVE the end credits.)

Hope Andi Hamilton is on this one!
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

I've just finished Doom for the third time in as many years not to mention all the time spent on Arcade Mode and Snapmap so I think it's fair to say I love this game.

I haven't played the most recent Doom before this one (Doom 3) since way back on the OG Xbox so I can't make any comparisons to that but I still play the Project Brutality mod for the original Doom fairly regularly which I think is the closest version to Doom 2016. If you haven't played it you really should give it a try, a lot of people seem to th ink of it as the definitive version of the original Doom. They have clearly taken some ideas from it such as weapon attachments and most obviously the Glory Kills which let's be honest, never get old.

Movement

One thing that Doom 2016 does amazingly well is something that if I am remembering correctly was missing from Doom 3 which is the inertia and freedom of movement. In the original Doom you could hold the run button and fly around the map but still retain complete control of your movement. The movement in this game feels very much the same although I love the fact that there is no run button and the Doom Slayer is always at full pace. The game was advertised with lines like "don't stop moving" and "staying still is death" and they really meant it which is a really nice change of pace from your typical modern shooters where you crouch walk around looking for the next bit of cover to hide behind. When the game first launched I remember quite a few people complained about the Gore Nest rooms which you would be locked in until you killed every demon saying that it was a lazy way to make a game seem longer than it is. However, I remember seeing one comment in response to this that has stuck with me ever since. What they said was that those areas are puspose built for it and that they are basically designed to be race tracks. This hadn't crossed my mind before but upon playing again I noticed straight away what they meant. All of those areas are designed with no corridors or corners to get yourself stuck in but in such a way that no matter which way you are facing you will always have somewhere you can move to and you can actually clear those rooms without ever having to stop moving or turn around. Level design at it's finest.

Changes

I have already mentioned the weapon attachments and glory kills but there are a few things that have changed from the original game and definitely for the better. I love the fact that the Chainsaw and BFG have been set their own buttons rather than appearing on the weapon wheel to differentiate them as "special" weapons which seems to be backed up by the pretty small amount of ammo you find for either (although there were multiple times than I accidentally drew my BFG because I had pressed Y to switch to my previous weapon as is the case in most modern FPS games but that's more to do with muscle memory than anything). One thing that you notice pretty quickly with the BFG is that it is almost useless against any of the boss enemies but it is great for clearing a room when you find yourself being overwhelmed but is balanced in the fact that the enemies gibbed won't drop anything for you. This is a complete opposite to the Chainsaw which you have to get very close to use and on the bigger enemies will use all of your ammo in one attack. Again it is balanced well because using the chainsaw always rewards you with a ton of ammo for all of your other weapons so it works really well as a back up plan when you are really low on ammo.

A few of the enemies have been changed for the better. The Barons of Hell are now towering goliaths that always had me saying "oh no" whenever one spawned. The Pinky Demons were always a bit of a strange one in the original game as they had no projectile attacks so you could shoot and kill them from a distance before they could get close enough to attack but now they have a charge attack so they can close the space between you pretty quickly and the fact that they are armoured at the front means you are always having to try and get behind before you can damage them. An enemy that was added is the Summoner. Some people were annoyed that they replaced the Arch-Vile with a different enemy but in Doom 2 the Arch-Vile would revive dead demons but that couldn't really happen in a game where there are no dead bodies just puddles of blood. The Summoner works more or less the same way but will bring new demons to the battlefield rather than ressurecting fallen ones. The main problem I had with them is the way that they move around so quickly they can be hard to keep track of to kill. I usually saved my chainsaw for these guys.

Onto the one thing about the game that actually doesn't sit well with me. The Cyber Demon. I'm still not entirely sold on the look of it but I could pretty easily get past it if the actual battle with it wasn't so lazy and repetitive. It fell into vert old fashioned boss battle territory where you would just have to learn the attack patterns and when to move and when to shoot. At one point he brings walls up to either side so you are basically at opposite ends of a corridor and he throws 3 horizontal blades of yellow light at you. This wouldn't be so bad but it always thhe same. The first is low so you have to jump, the second is high so you can stay still, the third is low so you have to jump again. There are only so many jump/wait/jumps you can do before getting really fed up. I suppose I should also mention the Guardians but they act in a very similar way.

Story

As the game starts there is no introduction. You wake up and demons are everywhere. This seems like standard story telling for Doom but as you play through you realise they have actually conjured up a relatively interesting story about humanity's search for new energy sources.

I actually wish I could play this game for the first time again because I really can't remember a time where I didn't know the silent protagonist as anything other than the Doom Slayer but the actual backstory they gave him was great. Through runes found throughout the game you find out that he was a warrior who travelled through Hell killing everything in his path until eventually the demons tricked and trapped him. There are theories across the web that the Doom Slayer is actually Doomguy from the original game who has been travelling through time slaying demons for milennia but personally, I prefer to think of this game as a reboot and don't assume that it ties in to the previous games in any way. One thing that I only noticed on this most recent playthrough is that when you first wake up on the table at the very start of the game you actually see a couple of shots of the Doom slayer's arms and see that they are covered in scars which straight away shows that he's been through some stuff.

Music

Possibly my favourite thing about this game. I don't know if it's just because I'm massively into metal music or if everyone feels the same way but to me this game has the best soundtrack ever. The music always seems to amp up perfectly along with the action and then quieten down again just the same.

If you want to know more about the music I recommend watching these 2 short videos from composer Mick Gordon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-f0ypVbPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-7-dFXOUU

I remember seeing another video at some point but I can'y find it now which explained how the individual songs were arranged in such a way that rather than looping the whole song what is hapening on screen would determine which part of the song loops. So if you are still fighting a load of demons the heavier part of the song will play. If a new demon suddenly spawns the crescendo part of the song will play and then back to the heavier part and then once all the demons are dead it will switch back to the calmer part of the song which will then loop until either more demons show up or the next song kicks in.

I had never bought a video game soundtrack before Doom 2016 and probabbly never will again. Well, until Doom Eternal.

In closing, even though I have just completed this game for the third time I could happily jump back in and start it all over again and I can't say that about many games. This is definitely one of my favourite games of this generation and I cannot wait to see what id bring with Doom Eternal.

Three word review: Brilliant Fucking Game.
The Baboon Baron

Post by The Baboon Baron »

RCheeze wrote: January 19th, 2019, 3:59 am death metal and satanic imagery
That's what it says on my Tinder profile!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

The Baboon Baron wrote: February 27th, 2019, 12:58 pm
RCheeze wrote: January 19th, 2019, 3:59 am death metal and satanic imagery
That's what it says on my Tinder profile!
Is it leading to success?
MattL

Post by MattL »

As I write this, I'm presently playing through Doom (2016) for the first time. I'm roughly 3/4 of the way through the campaign and have logged maybe 10 hours into the multiplayer. All I can say is I'm sorry I waited so long to jump in.

At it's initial release, all the hype about the Doom reboot (or is it a "deboot" after Doom 3?) worried me. I didn't think Doom (2016) could possibly live up to the talk of how "old school" it was, how it brought back FPSs to their roots, and how gamers who grew up in the 80s and early 90s would feel right at home. It didn't seem possible. The rebellious 20-somethings whose only desire was to make a game that appealed to their sensibilities, everyone else's be damned, were long gone. id was bought up by a big corporate AAA machine. id wasn't id anymore.

Despite my doubts, I played through the demo on my PS4 on multiple occasions and generally liked what I played, but I didn't fall in love with it. It had the big f'ing guns, the gore, and all the little demonic nasties of its pixelated predecesor, but the level design still worried me. The first level, UAC, felt too linear and too confined. It was far from the sprawling mazes of the original. And then there were the upgrades and collectibles. Upgrades?! Collectibles?! In my Doom?! How dare you! Back in my day, all I needed was a shotgun, a rocket launcher, and a thirst to get down to the business of wasting hordes of demons at lightning fast speeds.

So, despite the DNA of Doom (1993) showing itself loud and proud in the artwork and the attitude, I felt that the level design and the tacked on RPG-lite upgrade systems of modern FPSs twisted and tweaked a few too many chromosomes along the way.

Fast forward to February 2019, a PSN sale, and a $25 PSN giftcard I received for Christmas 2018. I decided to dive in into Doom, after being thoroughly disgusted by my prior deep discount, post-Xmas, impulse purchase of Mass Effect Andromeda. I got through the first level for the probably the 10th time, but this time, I was engaged. Was Doom (2016) better than I had remembered? Or was I desperate for something that wasn't a complete and utter failure? (I'm looking at you, Andromeda.) Either way, I was able to overlook my earlier gripes and found a game that I regretted skipping out on 2.5 years ago. The music, attitude, and atmosphere overrode any of the modern FPS bits and pieces.

In closing, Doom (2016) will never replace Doom (1993), but it honors and respects its spirit. Now, bring on Doom Eternal. I'm ready to face down the forces of Hell one more time.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Doubt this is worth including in the show, but for anyone who bought it on Switch and hasn't played it since day one, well WELL worth another go.

It looks so much better since the most recent update, especially in handheld mode, and the motion aiming is great if, like me, you adore it in Splatoon 2.
Steve Arran

Post by Steve Arran »

DOOM 2016 hit me at just the right time in my life, just as the original did all those years ago (thanks for turning me into a gamer Id Software). I was living abroad, it was the middle of winter and I had just lost my job. I needed something to let the emotion out which didn’t involve substance abuse or hitting someone (preferably my old boss) and, fortunately, a sale on the PlayStation store answered my prayers. Downloading DOOM I was elated that the speed of the original had been retained and that the violence had been dialled up to 11. I spent that weekend blasting the Hell out of every demon that crossed my path, like the unstoppable bad ass I wanted to be. It was the perfect antidote to the feeling of impotence that had cloaked me since being made unemployed in an unfamiliar country. DOOM hits the spots that other shooters can’t reach; for all of the most recent COD’s near future techno blustering, you are still just a soldier facing terrifying odds. In DOOM the reverse is true, you are no mere solider; the worst that hell can muster is terrified of you. And if that’s not the ultimate power fantasy then I don’t know what is.
jackthebluemage

Post by jackthebluemage »

As someone lacking state-of-the-art hardware, I greatly appreciated how well optimized this game was on PC. There was only one spot in the whole campaign where I noticed a framerate drop. The flow of the gameplay is essential to this game being as enjoyable as it is, and being able to smoothly go from demon to demon in the game's battle arenas even on suboptimal hardware facilitates that for a broad playerbase.
The Baboon Baron

Post by The Baboon Baron »

Talking about Doom (2016) is quite tricky for me. Because I am virtually unable to see any of its flaws. I’m sure it has got some, but when a single video game contains lots of your favourite things its very, very difficult to be critical.

Death metal and ultra-violence? Check. Satanic Imagery and Science Fiction? Check. Tongue firmly wedged in check? Big check. I’ve been wracking my brain, but I genuinely think this game might have been made for me, or at least people like me.

I grew up on the original Doom- it was the naughty game we played at our cousin’s house in Melbourne, the one Mum didn’t like. The pounding rhythm of the soundtrack, and the overbearing atmosphere had a profound effect on both my musical choices and my personal preferences, guiding the hand that led me to be the well-adjusted, middle aged weirdo I am now.

It is truly wonderful that after so many years so much of what made the original game amazing has been poured into the new mold of Doom 2016. I loved every minute of my frantic play through, and happily re-play it regularly now. The speed was there, the violence was nasty, the story was silly, the soundtrack ripped off a whole new generation of metal bands… it was perfect!

I even loved the multiplayer, because that too was a blast from the past. No longer did I have to contend with 8-year olds who were better than me because of In app purchases or had grinded for hours for the best armour, the playing field was level again, just like in Unreal, Quake and Half-life. Except this time, we didn’t use a dial up modem, and I didn’t spill Vimto on my brother’s computer.

This is one of my favourite FPS’s ever, and one of my favourite games ever. I know I’m not being fair or critical, but I can’t help it. Escapism at its finest, I found Doom 2016 to be wonderfully silly and a joy from beginning to end. Never taking itself too seriously only made me want to love and defend it more, because at the end of the day, a DOOM SLAYER fighting the demons of hell with a Chainsaw is just gloriously, unashamedly bonkers. Bring on Doom Eternal!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

DOOM is one of the games that made me want to upgrade from my laptop to a real gaming PC and boy, was it worth it. I don't love gore and overly brutal violence...I used to be able to say. No matter how many times I was horrified by DOOM's glory kills, I still laughed like a maniac after every one and went on to the next as quickly as I could.

I've spent so many years ducking behind corners and crouched behind various forms of cover, I had forgotten the pure joy of running circles around an enemy, unloading clip after clip, until he was dead in a glorious mess of guts and health drops. And that beautiful double jump made me feel like Mario with a chainsaw.

I never once was bored with DOOM and I wanted to start it all over again as soon the credits rolled. This game is so shark-like in it's focus to keep moving, to keep feeding, it can't help but become the new apex predator of first person shooters. One of the best games ever made.