All things DOOM

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

All things DOOM

Post by dezm0nd »

Now I'm not sure if the M in Doom is meant to be capitalised or not but that's certainly how I see it but anyway, do we have any fans of DooM 1, 2, 3 and indeed the weird cousin Doom 64?

I am currently playing through Doom 64 on the PC as some guy has made the entire game playable over at http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/. Now you do need the ROM to play it as it requires some files to be extracted from there, but you've all got it in your collection, right?

It offers a good looking, mouse and keyboard controlled way of playing one of the most hidden gems from the series. At times it feels like a parody of DooM itself with enemies which only slightly resemble the classic sprites and music which is just a touch too moody to be great but overall it's a more traditional sequel than Doom 3 is, a game which I think also gets a bad rep unfairly.

So, DooM games then. Anyone done it any of them Ultra Violent? I know I have!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: DooM - All things DooM

Post by ratsoalbion »

Never been sure if it's Doom, DOOM or DooM!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The logo has always looked to me as if the D and M are capitals.

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

For some reson when I just saw that logo now , I just thought it looked like WooD fliped upside down!!!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I think you've just found out idsoftwares new game! WooD.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

According to this Id press release its written as DOOM
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

dezm0nd wrote:I think you've just found out idsoftwares new game! WooD.

What would a FPS called WooD be like, the mind boggles!!!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

JaySevenZero wrote:According to this Id press release its written as DOOM
After all these years, I never knew. My world has been rocked.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Doom [edit DOOM] blew my mind when I first loaded up the shareware floppy disk that someone had copied for me. I hadn't seen 3D running like that before, and I don't think I had played a game from first person perspective before. I remember the atmosphere being incredibly tense, and those sound effects are burned into my ears!

It has been a long time since I actually played it, but picked up the Doom pack in Steam sale, I really should go back and have a mess around. We should totally get a deathmatch game on!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

They work alright on PC but the definitive version for me, is the XBLA games. No fuss, ready to roll DOOM-age. :)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

You know what, I can't even remember what controls I used back then!! I don't think WASD was a thing yet. Did I use a mouse? Blimey, that's weird!!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Doom 1 & 2 don't even have free look, the mouse was used as an optional method for walking if I remember rightly.

The keyboard controls were arrow keys and ctrl to shoot etc.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Of course the jdoom mod added textures, lighting, polygons and full mouselook.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I bloody love Doom, me. Because I've never been a PC Gamer, my first experience of it was the Super Nintendo port. It was missing some levels, enemies and a weapon or two. But still, from start to glorious finish, it was excellent. Since then I've played pretty much every sequel, one of my favourite gaming moments was co-oping 1 and 2 on Ultra Violence with my PC-owning mate.

I've replayed them several times over the years, on Live Arcade and the Xbox ports of Doom 3 and it's expansion pack. It's still, to this day, a joy to play. So you can bet your arse I've got the BFG edition of Doom 3 pre-ordered.

The film was shit though :lol:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've decided to get the BFG Edition. It just had to be done, really. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

After well-meaning but ropey Amiga knock-offs like Gloom I got my first copy of Doom with my first PlayStation. That version takes a beating now but compared to the SNES, Jaguar, 32X, 3DO and (later) Saturn versions it was spot-on, albeit slower on PAL and with a lower frame-rate. The phenomenal. chilling CD soundtrack that Williams added made it a better experience than the PC version - with it's horrid midi guitars - for me.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I was thinking of making my own spin off doom clone and call it MOOD. Probably been done, actually.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

dezm0nd wrote:I've decided to get the BFG Edition. It just had to be done, really. :)
Aye, £20 for what's essentially Doom HD Collection, and new levels for Doom 3 just has to be bought really. I seem to remember some reviews being a bit negative about Doom 3 at the time, but I really enjoyed it when I played the backwards-compatible Xbox version on 360. The only real issue was going into your inventory ingame took absolutely aaaages.

Still got some of the music for Doom 1 stuck in my head since I was 15, the first stage's music is brilliant. I've also got the first issue of the Doom comic (don't think it lasted long), which portrayed the Space Marine you play as a total fucking psychopath. Who promptly goes even more bat-shit crazy when he picks up a Beserk pack. And drops to his knees crying, angels near his head, when he finds a BFG.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

DOOM BFG Edition Official Launch Trailer:

Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

dezm0nd wrote: The keyboard controls were arrow keys and ctrl to shoot etc.
I think this is why I still use the arrow keys to this day for moving about, check me out I'm so retro 8-)

oh and this has been sitting on my desk for the past month or so