Final Fantasy VI

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Cass

Re: Final Fantasy VI

Post by Cass »

Does anyone have any opinions on the Steam/Android/iOS version? I'm also keen to play this, but the screenshots of those look... rough.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

My understanding is that they remade a lot of the sprites for the mobile and Steam version. The new ones look significantly worse imo, I'll be sticking with the SNES version when I get around to playing it.

On the flipside, the SNES version is meant to have a worse translation in comparison to the GBA and later ones... :(
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The snes translation of 6 is light years ahead of the ps1 translation of 7, but it is a bit rough compared to the gba one. There’s a lot more Phoenix Wright style cultural translation in the snes one, which is fine for some games but maybe not the best in a serious story. It also garbles the story a little.

The summary from the legends of localisation piece on it is probably worth a read (rather than going through all 14 pages of it...) https://legendsoflocalization.com/final ... i/summary/
Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

Still waiting for my Switch release. ☹️
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Nupraptor wrote: April 30th, 2020, 12:21 pm Still waiting for my Switch release. ☹️
I would kill for a Switch remake of VI done in the style of Octopath Traveler...
Suits

Post by Suits »

10 hours into this and it's very compelling (SNES version).

This is my first Final Fantasy as such, I played Mystic Quest as a child on my SNES and enjoyed that but never had the time or inclination to play the more thorough games.

I'm really enjoying the split paths and journey's.

I escaped teh Phantom Train, then decided to throw myself off the waterfall and found myself on the shores of what is supposed to Africa with Gau.

One thing though, it's pretty easy isn't it ??

I mean, you can die and I do, but I have about 60 Tonics and never feel like I'm in any serious danger as I just neck loads of tonics.

Can anyone speak to me about the difficulty, I'm sure it gets tougher. It must do.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

I haven't played it for a long time but to my recollection, there is a point in the game where the difficulty will spike and then stay at that higher level, even then it's not particularly hard though.

It's a problem with the series at large from 6 onwards. Loads of interesting systems with real depth to mine but very little content that forces you to get creative with it until the very end of the game.