Resident Evil 4 (Biohazard 4)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Resident Evil 4 (Biohazard 4)

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hang on, doesn’t the Wii version (my favourite - I’ve played GC, 360, XO and PC) display at 4:3 if you set the screen options in the Wii settings?

It never came up for me because I always played on a 16:9 display. The last version I played in 4:3 was the GC original (with those ‘pseudo’ letterbox black bars top and bottom which are baked in).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

To my knowledge, there's no version of RE4 that supports native 4:3.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ok, there’s no version* which will fully occupy a 4:3 image**, but there are versions which run and display correctly at 4:3.

*Actually I’m not sure what’s possible on PC by playing around with resolutions and monitors

**The black bars top and bottom are part of the intended image on the earlier non HD versions, so the GC, PS2 and - I believe - Wii versions do support 4:3
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Why, what did I say? :P

I was talking about the forced letterbox.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

👍🏻
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 13th, 2020, 10:00 am Ok, there’s no version* which will fully occupy a 4:3 image**, but there are versions which run and display correctly at 4:3.

**The black bars top and bottom are part of the intended image, so the GC, PS2 and - I believe - Wii versions do support 4:3
Ah, fair enough. Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion! :)

But that also means that Suits isn't missing out on any intended part of the picture when playing on his CRT.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, should be!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I initially thought that my Wii was on widescreen mode too, but it's not, I only ever use my Wii on a CRT you see.

OK, sorry I'm struggling to follow you two on this, so there is or isn't a true 4:3 aspect ration for the Wii version, I can't see it anywhere in the options :( .
KSubzero1000 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 10:07 am But that also means that Suits isn't missing out on any intended part of the picture when playing on his CRT.
Oh yeah, it's just a silly preference for 4:3 for this, not that I was losing any FOV.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I don’t think any Wii games have aspect ratio options in menus because it’s all supposed to be handled at console level. Does the back of the box have 4:3 and 16:9 logos, Suits?
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 9:51 am The Wii motion controls factually devalue and trivialize a lot of the carefully balanced mechanical nuances of the original game. I get that they're super comfortable to use, but it's always disappointing to hear so many people refusing to look past that and at the design of the game itself.
I wonder how many of people that say they prefer the Wii controls are people going back through the game, for a second time and the Wii controls offer a more relaxed play through, taking away some of the stresses.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: April 13th, 2020, 10:17 am OK, sorry I'm struggling to follow you two on this, so there is or isn't a true 4:3 aspect ration for the Wii version, I can't see it anywhere in the options :( .
I'm sorry, I don't think there is. :(

The game is always meant to display at the intended widescreen FoV, so you'll have to deal with the black bars when playing on a 4:3 display.

On the plus side, the game is perfectly designed around said FoV, much in the way that other older games are designed around what are now perceived as limitations. I'm sure the hardcore purist in you can understand what I mean by that.

I hope you'll give it a shot regardless, mate. :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 13th, 2020, 10:21 am I don’t think any Wii games have aspect ratio options in menus because it’s all supposed to be handled at console level. Does the back of the box have 4:3 and 16:9 logos, Suits?
Yeah, thats's true.

No, nothing on the back that describes aspect ration, (that was the first place I looked too :lol: ), just the 50/60Hz and EDTV/HDTV logos.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hmmm.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 10:22 am On the plus side, the game is perfectly designed around said FoV, much in the way that other older games are designed around what are now perceived as limitations. I'm sure the hardcore purist in you can understand what I mean by that.
No, I do completely.

I remember that great post you did on the cropping of the original REMake on GC and how they lost an awful lot of great art and ambience in the process.

Cool, well, if it's a forced 16:9, I'd likely play it on a 16:9 panel, if that's how it's intended.

I'm not rush to play it again, I was just tempted by the motion controls of the Wii version.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

The way you're seeing it on 4:3 screen is actually how it's intended to be displayed, letterbox and all. Just double checked on my GameCube and there is no wide-screen option even in the original release. Even if you had a 16:9 CRT back in the day you'd still be forced to play in 4:3 letterboxed.

I remember thinking it was really cool and cinematic at the time...and still kinda do.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The rumour of the remake being made by M-Two.

Is that the same team as M2, the sega ages people?

If not then what the hell are they playing at. I'm confused!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

No, it's not the same studio.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm gonna make a new studio. Emm-too
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

BaileyBoy wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm Just double checked on my GameCube and there is no wide-screen option even in the original release...
So this happened the other day and now I'm playing RE4 again. I've lost count of how many times I've completed this game but I've not been back to it for what must be close to 10 years.

I've always considered it one of the greatest games ever made (shocker, I know) but what I forgot was just how god damn good this game looks. Playing on my CRT over RGB it is still genuinely and without hyperbole, one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The atmosphere in those village night time scenes is just stunning.

Gameplay is still as immaculate as ever of course but this game's technical achievements should not be overlooked. Absolutely bonkers what Capcom were able to squeeze out of the little GameCube.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

dezm0nd wrote: April 15th, 2020, 9:03 pm I'm gonna make a new studio. Emm-too
I had a similar idea. It’s called Me-too