Resident Evil 4 (Biohazard 4)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Resident Evil 4 (Biohazard 4)

Post by KSubzero1000 »

BaileyBoy wrote: April 16th, 2020, 1:32 pm Gameplay is still as immaculate as ever of course but this game's technical achievements should not be overlooked. Absolutely bonkers what Capcom were able to squeeze out of the little GameCube.
Yep, and not just in terms of graphics but performance also. Framerate dips are exceedingly rare, and the gameplay is slow-paced enough that the native 30fps never feels like an impediment unlike, say, Sekiro for example. Everything is rock solid and as reliable as it gets.

Friendly reminder that the Switch version of this game has more performance issues than the original GC one.

...There's a reason some of us go completely nuts about this game. :lol:
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 16th, 2020, 1:49 pm
BaileyBoy wrote: April 16th, 2020, 1:32 pm Gameplay is still as immaculate as ever of course but this game's technical achievements should not be overlooked. Absolutely bonkers what Capcom were able to squeeze out of the little GameCube.
...There's a reason some of us go completely nuts about this game. :lol:
Absolutely, I've always been one of them :P

This remake business is going to be so interesting. The original version is still so good though I honestly couldn't care less if they mess it up!

The only criticism I have is that the lack of real time weapon switching feels cumbersome in 2020. That d-pad is just sat there, ya know? Other than that, about as close to perfection as you can get.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

BaileyBoy wrote: April 16th, 2020, 2:21 pm The only criticism I have is that the lack of real time weapon switching feels cumbersome in 2020. That d-pad is just sat there, ya know? Other than that, about as close to perfection as you can get.
I hear that criticism a lot and I get where it's coming from, but I disagree.

The inventory switching allows for an instantaneous response to threats that gets lost with real-time switching and its elaborate animations. It's a less intuitive but also more precise approach, since you don't lose out on a single in-game frame when going in and out of the menu. Not to mention how cumbersome some real-time mechanics are. The Doom Eternal radial inventory on console isn't exactly the most precise mechanic and feels a bit like an afterthought, for example. One of the few elements of the game that make me feel like the interface is holding me back.

The RE4 method may be less realistic and convenient in comparison, but it gives you a level of complete in-game control that most modern standardized methods end up compromising on.

The only mechanical room for improvement I can think of on that front would be to add a dedicated grenade aim shoulder button (like Z on the GC pad) that cycles through all three types when "reloading". It would remove one layer of unnecessary inventory interaction and would benefit speedruns by way of instant-tapping your way into a faster running speed.

That's it. In all my years of playing this game, it's about the only element that I would add / change. It was Michiel who initially brought it to my attention and I think he's correct on that.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

I understand where you're coming from and I do agree that having the instant inventory swapping is a plus. For me though, there'd be nothing lost by having the option to say assign 4 weapons to each d-pad button to also allow for real time switching in addition, for a best of both worlds approach.

It isn't an issue for me in earlier series entries where it better suits the pace. I do feel it could improve the flow of action here though.

Very minor criticism though and doesn't in any way spoil my enjoyment of the game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

BaileyBoy wrote: April 16th, 2020, 3:30 pm For me though, there'd be nothing lost by having the option to say assign 4 weapons to each d-pad button to also allow for real time switching in addition, for a best of both worlds approach.
Yeah, as long as it remained an optional feature and inventory swapping was still possible, I wouldn't have any problem with it either.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

As long as they bring back the motion controls from the definitive Wii version, I'll be happy.
Spoiler: show
:twisted:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Spoiler: show
:twisted:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha. Fair.