Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: July 25th, 2018, 1:25 pm American voices for Japanese characters in Japan... it was a bit grating. To be fair, if it was voice acted by Australians, it would still be grating.
I'd buy that for a euro! :lol:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Played Thomas Was Alone through beginning to end last night. Very charming and made me oddly emotional for a game about shapes. The soundtrack was killer, I loved the style, the platforming/puzzling was fun and breezy. A great game that checked a lot of boxes for me. I'll be recommending to friends, for sure.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 25th, 2018, 1:40 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: July 25th, 2018, 1:25 pm American voices for Japanese characters in Japan... it was a bit grating. To be fair, if it was voice acted by Australians, it would still be grating.
I'd buy that for a euro! :lol:
You know what... for 1 euro... that would be a bargain. A Fair dinkum dinky-die bargainmaaaaate! :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: July 15th, 2018, 7:10 am JAN - Lumino City (Android)
MAR - Dark Souls 3 (PS4)
MAR - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)
MAR - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4) MAR - Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
APR - Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception
MAY - Shadow Of The Colossus (PS4)
MAY - Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4)
JUN - God Of War (PS4)
JUL - Dying Light (PS4)
JUL - Resident Evil VII: Biohazard (PS4)

I bloody finished it! Thoughts in the podcast thread at some point. (Spoilers: I loved it!)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

06 Jan: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PAL PS1 on PS3)
09 Feb: Final Fantasy II (GBA)
16 Feb: Resident Evil 2 (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
26 Feb: Yoshi's Woolly World (WU)
09 Mar: BioShock Infinite (PC)
10 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One (PC)
12 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two (PC)
18 Mar: Shadow Complex Remastered (PC)
19 Mar: Splatoon (WU)
29 Mar: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
06 Apr: Actual Sunlight (Vita)
08 Apr: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)
27 Apr: God of War (PS4)
07 May: Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica X HD (PS3)
20 May: Pikmin (Wii on WU)
28 May: Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3)
10 Jun: Final Fantasy IV (PSP on Vita)
16 Jun: Resident Evil HD Remaster (PS4)
19 Jul: Secret of Mana (SNES Nintendo Classic Mini)
26 Jul: Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster (PS4)
On Normal difficulty.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just played VVVVVV for the first time. What a fun game that made me hate myself at times. The music is kicking, the speed is fantastic, I really did enjoy it. Probably something I'll wan't to play a bunch in the future. And not die 1000 times.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
28/04 - Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth
03/05 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
05/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Nero/Dante - Devil Hunter)
08/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Vergil - Devil Hunter)
12/05 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
13/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Lady/Trish - Devil Hunter)
21/05 - Omensight
26/05 - Mafia II
27/05 - God of War
31/05 - God of War: Ascension
12/06 - Unravel Two
15/06 - Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
23/06 - Vampyr
05/07 - Cat Quest
14/07 - The Legend of Korra (Extreme)
20/07 - The Vagrant
28/07 - A Hat in Time

Been meaning to get around to this one for a while. It was a really good time in the end. Very charming, very cute, and with a lot of personality. Lots of imagination went in to this one, and it's a real joy. Mechanically it's not particularly complex, but it has enough to make moving around a lot of fun, with pretty well polished controls. Not perfect, but still very good. The levels are an odd mix. None of them are bad, but they're a wide mix of different styles that has you playing in very different ways between each one. One common thing I heard about this game is how the levels get progressively better the further you get in, as if you can see the developers honing their craft as they were making the game. I'm not sure I really agree with that. The game starts off with one of the best levels, with Mafia Town. It's a very open level with lots to do in it. It can seem somewhat disorganised, but just roaming around and doing things is great fun. Then after that there are quite a few more linear levels, which are still good, but feel a bit constrictive compared to Mafia Town. Later on there are bigger levels again, with the Alpine Skyline being one of the best in the game too. So I can't really say they get progressively better, but it is rather a surprising mix of very different levels. I can't think of any that were less than good either.

There were a few little janky parts that got on my nerves a bit though. I guess they're somewhat excusable since this is just a small indie game, but they were enough to be worth mentioning. The camera can occasionally be a pain, as it sometimes gets confused when you're close to a wall. Even if the camera is pointing at the wall and is nowhere near it, it zooms in on the character way too close to see what's going on. Sometimes it can be a bit hard to see your position in various places, not knowing exactly where you're positioned in space, or hitting a ledge in an awkward way you didn't expect. But those problems are relatively common in 3D platformers, I suppose. The game also crashed on me in a few cases too. One was particularly annoying, as I had gone through a particularly long linear level, and made it most of the way through a boss at the end, only to have all that progress lost and have to do it all over.

Overall though a really great time. Hat Kid is adorable, the soundtrack is great, writing is sharp and funny, and the constantly positive atmosphere is really uplifting. It's great fun to control and explore, and even if it's not perfect, it's still one not to miss if you're even remotely interested in the genre. If you passed up this one before because Mario Odyssey was released too close, then do yourself a favour and give it a chance.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Bastion
Detroit
Vanquish
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer
Alice: Madness Returns

July:
Prince of Persia
The Last Guardian
Syndicate
Binary Domain
28/07
Call of Duty Classic HD

I never played this first time around being a console player primarily. Was nice to see the beginning of such a huge series but it’s a stark reminder how far games have evolved in recent times.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

28-07 Resident Evil 0 (GC)

Finally played all the way through this one, having owned it for 15 years. *gasp*
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: July 28th, 2018, 10:35 pm 28-07 Resident Evil 0 (GC)

Finally played all the way through this one, having owned it for 15 years. *gasp*
I don't know if I should tut-tutting you or being glad CaR is having such a positive influence sometimes! :P
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: July 9th, 2018, 9:02 pm 7th Jan - Mafia 3 (XBO)
29th Jan - Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (XBO)
31st Jan - The Room: Old Sins (iOS)
20th Feb - Celeste (XBO)
12th Mar - Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (PS4)
2nd Apr - Prey (2017) (XBO)
29th Apr - Dynasty Warriors 9 (XBO)
7th May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4)
17th May - Shadow Warrior (XBO)
20th June - Watch Dogs 2 (XBO)
9th July - Forgotton Anne (XBO)
29th July - Assassin’s Creed Origins (XBO)

I really enjoyed the change in mechanics here from the previous games, less emphasis on the fiddly parkour and more on the exploration. Everything is just less finicky than before, from stealth to combat to mission design. You’re punished less for fumbles, rewarded more for skill.

Yes, it’s still just doing the ‘map full of icons to mop up’ thing that is the Ubisoft formula, but it’s a formula I like.

The present day stuff is still there, but not as in your face as it has been in some of the games, but for those who follow the long and convoluted plot of this series it was nice to see so many callbacks done in a ‘if you spot this you can feel smug’ way, as opposed to dragging your attention to them all with ‘look at this! Aren’t we clever!’ direction.

Also, the movie is now canon. Sorry.
Special mention to the voice acting, which goes for the whole Shakespearean approach (appropriate given the time period and setting after all).
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 7 - Bleed (PC)
Jan 19 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Feb 11 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Feb 28 - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC)
Mar 8- Final Fantasy III (PSVita - PSP version)
Mar 21 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Three stars on all 150cc cups.
Mar 24 - Golf Story (Switch)
Apr 2 - Nier: Automata (PS4)
Apr 23 - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
May 3 - Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - Turnabout Reclaimed DLC (3DS)
May 5 - Final Fantasy IV (PSVita - PSP version)
Jun 4 - Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (3DS - DS cart)
Jun 9 - Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Jun 23 - Pocket Card Jockey (3DS)
Jul 13 - Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (3DS)
Jul 14 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA) All 10 cups on 100cc
Jul 21 - Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS4) Arcade mode - Normal

I don't really play beat 'em ups. I picked UMvC3 on a sale a while back mostly for the spectacle and, aside from the basics of how Phoenix Wright works, button mashed my way to beating the normal difficulty. I did die a couple of times on Galactus though.

Jul 29 - Final Fantasy V (GBA version on an emulator)

Finally, after two previous attempts on the PS1 version in the 2000s, I finished it.

I might write in the podcast thread later but here are a few summary points.
The job system is good to play around with but a good amount of the abilities learned aren't that useful. The light hearted plot could annoy some but I liked it, it made me smile rather than laugh though. It has some of my favourite boss battles in the series (e.g. Atomos, Famed Mimic Gogo). The soundtrack is really good and I know that seems like stating the obvious with Uematsu but I think its a step up from 4.

However just like the previous two times I started to lose interest around the 25 hour mark and I forced my way through the last 7 hours. I'm not even sure why this is, it just seems to outstay its welcome. It's still my favourite pre-PS1 Final Fantasy but next up is a proper attempt at FF6.

Edit:
I had a look and here are my completion times for the series since I started them this time last year.
FF1 19:17
FF2 22:00
FF3 28:23
FF4 23:43
FF5 32:17

Noting that FF3 is a full remake and that probably lengthened that game, it is a big jump in playtime for FF5.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 29th, 2018, 6:04 amI don't know if I should tut-tutting you or being glad CaR is having such a positive influence sometimes! :P
Just be glad, please. :P Found it rather enjoyable as well, including the struggles and hardships in the first half of the game
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just finished this little game called Necrosphere. It's a jump-less platformer, with only two buttons for movements, dashing and a jet pack. There's bubbles that let you bounce. It's hard. And poorly designed. And the dash doesn't always work. And the jet pack is no fun. And some of the music has narration that repeats lines out of an ten grader's philosophy notebook. It may have broken me.
I'd probably play a sequel though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

06 Jan: Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PAL PS1 on PS3)
09 Feb: Final Fantasy II (GBA)
16 Feb: Resident Evil 2 (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
26 Feb: Yoshi's Woolly World (WU)
09 Mar: BioShock Infinite (PC)
10 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One (PC)
12 Mar: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two (PC)
18 Mar: Shadow Complex Remastered (PC)
19 Mar: Splatoon (WU)
29 Mar: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (NTSC PS1 on PS3)
06 Apr: Actual Sunlight (Vita)
08 Apr: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)
27 Apr: God of War (PS4)
07 May: Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica X HD (PS3)
20 May: Pikmin (Wii on WU)
28 May: Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3)
10 Jun: Final Fantasy IV (PSP on Vita)
16 Jun: Resident Evil HD Remaster (PS4)
19 Jul: Secret of Mana (SNES Nintendo Classic Mini)
26 Jul: Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster (PS4)
30 Jul: WarioWare Gold (N3DS)
Just the credit roll.
An essential addition to my 3DS collection and a fitting swansong for the machine (if that is what it's to be).
Spacefarer

Post by Spacefarer »

Scrustle wrote: July 28th, 2018, 12:12 pm 28/07 - A Hat in Time
I adored A Hat in Time when I played it. My favourite level (area? stage? world?) was Battle of the Birds, because the characters just oozed personality. DJ Grooves reminds me of my graphic design tutor. Daaaaarlin'!

Anyway, I completed Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy pretty recently. Have to admit, I wasn't expecting much going in - the videos and stuff I'd watched previously all looked a little off. I can't really explain why, not without diving into a meaningless and rambling tirade about animations...so I'll just say, it looked a little off.

How wrong I was. It is amazing. The platforming feels really gosh darn good - in the originals, it always felt a little loose, like you weren't quite 100% in control. N. Sane still retains a little of the unpredictability but feels a lot more polished. I also appreciate the remastered music, though it's a shame they didn't get Josh Mancell on board to at least approve it.

Graphics. They're gorgeous. Let's get the negatives out of the way first: some of the 2D assets look a bit like Illustrator live traces. That's the negatives over. The animations are just splendid, and Crash's personality shines through. I was a little worried that they'd gone with the dumbed-down Crash from TwinSanity onwards, but they've definitely gone for the badass idiot savant from the classic games. Maybe a little more air-headed than we remember, but hey, it's HD, innit. Also, I must mention that a few of the creatures look a bit too realistic. The penguins in particular look a little out-of-place when compared against the porcupines and toads. I guess that's a personal thing, though.

Oh yeah, and Coco is adorable. I'm glad we get to play as her properly, and not just in a limited fashion like in Wrath of Cortex.

I've played a lot of Crash, and I'm hoping we'll see more of him. In the meantime, I hope they do as good a job with Spyro as they've done with N. Sane.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to try and 100% Crash 1 again. It's a bit more lenient this time, so I've no excuse.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

The Banner Saga 3 (PS4)

So, it's quite short! I was surprised to finish it in essentially two sessions (although I played for most of the afternoon/evening yesterday).

The series as a whole is a great achievement, and all through the game I was thinking, 'they've concluded this perfectly'.

The ending was quite abrupt though. I would have liked them to take the time to do a bit more narration at the end; instead they just wrap things up rapidly and with a minimum of discussion about all that has gone before, which is a bit disappointing. The ending itself was fine, excellent even, but I'd have loved to see a bit more of the aftermath.

A lovely experience though; fantastic looking, decent combat, great themes and quite topical.

I might try a playthrough of all three games on Hard at some point in the future. Definitely worth revisiting.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
28/04 - Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth
03/05 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
05/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Nero/Dante - Devil Hunter)
08/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Vergil - Devil Hunter)
12/05 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
13/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Lady/Trish - Devil Hunter)
21/05 - Omensight
26/05 - Mafia II
27/05 - God of War
31/05 - God of War: Ascension
12/06 - Unravel Two
15/06 - Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
23/06 - Vampyr
05/07 - Cat Quest
14/07 - The Legend of Korra (Extreme)
20/07 - The Vagrant
28/07 - A Hat in Time
31/07 - Way of the Samurai 4

I'm a bit hesitant to say I've actually "finished" this game, due to the nature of it. But the credits rolled, so I guess I'll talk about it.

I've played the first of this series on the PS2, and didn't really get on with it, but have always since been intrigued with the series. Had an eye on the PC version of this one since they released it not too long ago (compared to the original PS3 release at least), and finally picked it up. I've been enjoying it a whole lot more than the first game, but it's still not exactly the most impressive experience. It's very unique though, and I like a lot of the stuff it's trying to do. It's something of a samurai simulator/RPG/semi-roguelike thing. The idea is that you play as a ronin through a short story that has loads of branching paths based on what choices you make. Then after you play through one possible route, you start again, carrying over some of the stuff you have acquired in previous runs, to take a different path. This initial run only took about 4 and a half hours, and from the look of the results screen, I got pretty much the worst out of the ten possible endings. Quite an embarrassing end where I didn't really get to see any of the major plot threads through. I expect later runs will be longer.

The game is extremely lacking in polish, and makes a very bad first impression with an awkward tutorial sequence with poor audio balancing and ugly graphics, as it sets up the situation that you're being thrust in to. Namely, you arrive in a port town during a time when early British settlers and traders are coming to Japan. You stumble off the boat just as an important British diplomat and her entourage arrive, who are then attacked by a group who oppose any foreign influence in the country. So this sets up a rather interesting situation where you have to decide who to side with, and what to do about it. In my run I decided to side with the local Magistrates who are trying to build good relations with the British visitors, while also spending some time with them too. That didn't end up going so well, but I think I know where I went wrong. There's definitely more to see down that path than what I got. Although next time I think I'll go down another path instead of this same one again.

Combat seems pretty bad, but it gets better after that first impression. It's a somewhat basic swordfighting, that attempts to be somewhat realistic, in terms of the moves you do anyway. It starts off with that terrible tutorial where they just throw loads of text at you, even though there isn't really much you can do at that point, with the block and dodge moves seeming to be completely useless. But later on you unlock new moves to add to your fighting style, and completely new styles to use as well. Eventually you can mix together moves from different styles to create your own unique one, but I didn't get anywhere near that. But despite it being pretty clunky, I kind of want to keep exploring it to see what new styles I can find.

There are also a bunch of other side content you can do, which I only got a hint at. Connected with creating your own fighting style is a dojo that you can run, recruiting new members and such. There's a really in-depth weapon crafting system too, and you can get in to all kinds of wacky hijinks if you want, by exploring around and finding things to do. The game in general seems to do a pretty good job of giving you a lot of options to mess around with this setting, even to the point of making meaningful changes to the story, even when they come in the form of disastrous consequences of seemingly innocuous goofing around. Like you can interrupt the speeches of important characters with stupid insults, or draw a weapon on them for no reason. There's a lot like that, but I haven't really explored anywhere near all there is to see yet. But it seems like there's a really ambitious attempt here to make a small little sandbox with lots of possibilities that extends in to the narrative too, instead of just having all the sandbox content being a consequence-free thing that is completely separate from a static and linear story.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

That's pretty interesting; I suspect your writeup makes the game sound more interesting than it actually is!
Scrustle wrote: July 31st, 2018, 2:46 pm The idea is that you play as a ronin through a short story that has loads of branching paths based on what choices you make. Then after you play through one possible route, you start again, carrying over some of the stuff you have acquired in previous runs, to take a different path. This initial run only took about 4 and a half hours, and from the look of the results screen, I got pretty much the worst out of the ten possible endings. Quite an embarrassing end where I didn't really get to see any of the major plot threads through. I expect later runs will be longer.
How likely do you think it is that you'll go back and play through other routes? Pretty intriguing mechanic but I don't know if this would suit my usual mindset (get the game finished and be done with it. I don't usually play DLC, even if it comes bundled with the game).
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Chopper wrote: August 1st, 2018, 10:39 am
How likely do you think it is that you'll go back and play through other routes? Pretty intriguing mechanic but I don't know if this would suit my usual mindset (get the game finished and be done with it. I don't usually play DLC, even if it comes bundled with the game).
I'm definitely going back to see other routes. I don't really consider the game "done" at all. I highly doubt that I'll try to get all ten endings, but I'd like to do at least two more I guess. There are very different directions to take that I haven't looked at yet, and what I played so far didn't feel like it came to a satisfying conclusion. The ending I got was almost like a joke ending really. Almost a statement of how this game isn't what you might expect. You know how in stories you have to suspend your disbelief with how the hero always makes it to the end with the help of "plot armour"? In this game you have no plot armour.

The game itself is pretty low budget, and has low production values too. The moment-to-moment gameplay isn't great, the animation and general presentation is kind of bad, and the PC version has no graphical options outside of screen resolutions, and is locked to 30fps. The area you have to explore around is very small too. Just a small town separated in to a handful of zones. So I don't want to oversell it. It's definitely one of those lower tier games that is never going to blow anyone away. I guess it's along the lines of something like Earth Defence Force. But it's trying something very unusual, maybe a bit too ambitious for what it can pull off. But the fact that it's trying so hard is really pulling me in.