Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Feb – Destiny 2 (Xbox One X)
Feb – Snake Pass (Switch)
Mar – NBA Playgrounds (Switch)
Apr – Assassin’s Creed Origins (Xbox One X)
May - The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter (PS4 Pro)
May - Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4 Pro)

Jun – The Wolf Among Us (Xbox One X)

I’m obviously very late to the party on this one. My only other Tell Tale experience has been The Walking Dead Season 1, which I loved, and this one has been staring me in the face on my Xbox games library for long while now. Finally, for whatever reason, while looking for something to get stuck into I hovered over it and instead of moving on pressed that ‘A’ button – and I’m really bloody glad I did!

A beautiful, brutal and unique story with a fantastic brothers grimm-meets-film noir tone, accompanied by a Twin Peaks-esque soundtrack. I loved every minute and will be all over the recently delayed sequel in 2019!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Glad you enjoyed it, its still easily my favorite of the Telltale games. Did you ever read the comics? I think it definitely helped me, that I was already familiar with the source material and characters. Really looking forward to the second season too.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: June 4th, 2018, 7:17 pm Glad you enjoyed it, its still easily my favorite of the Telltale games. Did you ever read the comics? I think it definitely helped me, that I was already familiar with the source material and characters. Really looking forward to the second season too.
It’s truly excellent from start to finish and probably my favourite non-walking dead telltale game (although borderlands has some fantastic moments). Agree it’s enhanced by knowing a little about the comics too which are fantastic!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Spoiler: show
Jan 7 - Bleed (PC)
Jan 19 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Feb 11 - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Feb 28 - Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (PC)
Mar 8- Final Fantasy III (PSVita - PSP version)
Mar 21 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) Three stars on all 150cc cups.
Mar 24 - Golf Story (Switch)
Apr 2 - Nier: Automata (PS4)
Apr 23 - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
May 3 - Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - Turnabout Reclaimed DLC (3DS)
May 5 - Final Fantasy IV (PSVita - PSP version)
Jun 4 - Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (3DS - DS cart)
Advance Wars: Brown Edition.

Ok, the art shift and more serious story isn't to everyone's taste but I care about the gameplay in an AW title and it holds up. One of my favourite changes for Dark Conflict (Days of Ruin in the Americas as there were two different English localisations) was toning down the CO Powers from Dual Strike. In Dual Strike there was CO, Super CO and Tag Team powers and they were a large part of the game sometimes turning the tide of a battle. Here thy don't even get introduced until half way through the campaign, are harder to activate and have less impact. This moved my focus away from the power bars in the corner and back on the battlefield. I think I prefer this game to Dual Strike because of these changes.

I think a few units were dropped and a few new ones were brought in, like the motorbike who can capture buildings like infantry but can move much further but are hampered by any rough terrain, flares who light up fog or war missions and anti-tank units. I liked the new units.

The final level can feck off though. Its completely unfair. The enemy gets two new units a turn and fires a bomb that causes 5 damage to units in a three block radius (for those who haven't played an Advance Wars, all units have ten). I used a guide to beat it, I'm not even ashamed about it.

I'd love to see an Advance Wars on Switch but I don't expect it for a number of reasons. This is the last game in the series to come out and that was 10 years ago. Intelligent Systems seem to be focused on Fire Emblem's newfound success in the last number of years. And the final reason I do not expect it is that this one never got a proper release in Japan, so I'd assume it wasn't high priority even at the time.
Wikipedia wrote: A Japanese release was announced under the title of Famicom Wars DS: Ushinawareta Hikari (ファミコンウォーズDS 失われた光) (lit. Lost Light), but was canceled after several delays. However, on October 30, 2013, it became available in Japan through Club Nintendo as a downloadable platinum status reward for the Nintendo 3DS system
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Simonsloth wrote: June 4th, 2018, 9:59 pm
Alex79uk wrote: June 4th, 2018, 7:17 pm Glad you enjoyed it, its still easily my favorite of the Telltale games. Did you ever read the comics? I think it definitely helped me, that I was already familiar with the source material and characters. Really looking forward to the second season too.
It’s truly excellent from start to finish and probably my favourite non-walking dead telltale game (although borderlands has some fantastic moments). Agree it’s enhanced by knowing a little about the comics too which are fantastic!
Interesting you both mention that comics - that's something I should maybe check out before season 2 next year then. I've heard nothing but good things about them and if they're adding value to games then I'm in!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

5 June - Zone of the Enders.

Podcast recording tonight!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Detroit

It has peaks and troughs but I can't emphasise how amazing I found this game. The scope of how the game can go and how it can end I have never seen before. To put it into context one of my characters had an ending that at time of writing only 2% of the worlds players have had. I haven't replayed any levels or looked at any guides. If you don't like Mr Cage etc and go in waiting to find something to get angry about I'm sure you will find something. I have seen a lot of chatter on the
domestic violence
I think it is realistic as it isn't made obvious in real life this kind of things. Also around that section is enough subtle hints. Also people moaning about
The drawings
kids are encouraged to use this in real life through trauma so to see it scoffed at and derided again didn't make sense. I will go into more in the thread.

Negative points were one of my character endings was none existent, something that would have been a holy shit moment later on was ruined by a bit of dialogue hinting it early on that didn't need to be there and the score is not as memorable as Heavy Rain. Also some sections are very dull but as I mentioned peaks and troughs.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Just finished Zone of the Enders 2. This game is the bee's tits or however the expression goes. :P

Quick, to the podcast thread!
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 5th, 2018, 6:24 pm Just finished Zone of the Enders 2. This game is the bee's tits or however the expression goes. :P
The traditional phrase is “Bee’s Knees”.

However, I’m using “Bee’s Tits” from now on.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Bees Bollocks?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7
05/06 call of Cthulhu: dark corners of the earth

I’m such an optimist that it’s rare for me to have such strong negative feelings but this game was truly a struggle to play.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: June 5th, 2018, 10:19 pm The traditional phrase is “Bee’s Knees”.
Hihihi, yes I know. I was trying way too hard to be funny. ...I often fail at these ventures.

Anyway, game's great! I want more of those.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)
Apr 24 - Headlander (PC)
Apr 28 - Dex (PC)
Apr 30 - SUPERHOT (PC)
May 6 - Azure Striker Gunvolt (Switch)
May 7 - The Ball (PC)
May 21 - Drakensang (PC)
May 23 - Spectrum (PC)
May 25 - Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas (Switch)
May 27 - The Sexy Brutale (PC)
Jun 4 - Immortal Redneck (PC)

One of the few roguelites that went for the FPS approach and it is the best one I've played for this variety. Enemies getting stronger each level but the floors get smaller (it is a pyramid, after all) is a different take on things. Enemies in each room get highlighted through walls after a time so you don't waste time hunting down that last enemy or two in the fairly sizable rooms. Gun variety is decent though I always saw myself go back to a small sample of them due to personal preferences. Ammo isn't much of an issue as long as you are semi-accurate.

Scrolls that you can find in the run are what set things apart. They can be good or bad (usually good) to power you up for the later floors and bosses. Unfortunately, some of them can be really bad to the point of screwing you over. I once got a scroll that did half my life in damage to give two more scrolls. One did half my life in damage to give two more scrolls while the remaining three turned on fall damage (normally isn't any), did nothing, and took away all but one gun (one I didn't care for) with a damage boost. I proceeded to jump into the nearest lava pit. That is a really extreme example and only happened once in 20 hours. Normally the bad scrolls are fine to work around.

The upgrade system between runs is directly taken from Rogue Legacy. A talent tree you spend gold on to unlock other classes and boost your abilities. Doesn't suffer that game's diminishing returns in NG+ simply because this one doesn't have a NG+. I'd highly recommend this one.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 6th, 2018, 12:04 am Hihihi, yes I know. I was trying way too hard to be funny. ...I often fail at these ventures.
Na, na, it landed. On me anyway, I like it :lol:

I struggle to speak my first language man, let alone type it, so you get extra special dispensation.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I finished Tales of Symphonia last night. I was surprised by it's length, considering it was a Gamecube game. The developers deserve credit for packing that game with so much. Also, I was surprised, mostly due to my ignorance, about how dark the story went. I went in expecting something light and fluffy and found a game full of "human ranches", racism and very end-of-the-world plotting. Glad I played it, will probably check out other Tales games in the future.
Suits

Post by Suits »

duskvstweak wrote: June 6th, 2018, 6:07 pm I finished Tales of Symphonia last night. I was surprised by it's length, considering it was a Gamecube game.
Ah, this has escaped me over the years also and is close to my current maybe pile of what to get into next.

How long would you say it took you to get through ??
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

duskvstweak wrote: June 6th, 2018, 6:07 pm I went in expecting something light and fluffy
That's really interesting to me because I think that JRPGs are particularly prone to mature themes and writing. Xenogears, Suikoden and FF Tactics have heavy political plots with strong philosophical undertones. I haven't played it, but my understanding is that the Xenosaga trilogy went even deeper on the Nietzschean themes and motifs. Hell, FE Path of Radiance is probably one of my favorite kid-friendly political dramas in pop culture. Eternal Sonata is a heart-wrenching re-imagining of the last living hours of one of the greatest composers in history. NieR, Lost Odyssey, etc...

I wonder where this common (mis)conception stems from. Is it the art style?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
06/06 Bastion

To be honest I was very disappointed by Bastion. I think a lot comes down to the high expectations I came to the game with so it was always going to struggle to meet those.
I liked transistor a lot when I first played it but I went in with very little anticipation so perhaps that’s why I liked it so much.
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

02/01: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [SNES Classic]
04/01: Oxenfree [Switch]
13/01: Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition [Switch]
14/01: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [Switch]
15/01: Super Mario World [SNES Classic]
20/01: BioShock Infinite [360]
23/01: The Fall [PSN]
26/01: Celeste [Switch]
31/01: Super One More Jump [Switch]
05/02: Night in the Woods [Switch]
08/02: Dandara [Switch]
14/02: Dragon Quest Builders [Switch]
20/02: Bayonetta [Switch]
21/02: Puzzle Puppers [Switch]
23/02: Fe [Switch]
24/02: Old Man's Journey [Switch]
26/02: Portal Knights [Switch]
28/02: Bayonetta 2 [Switch]
07/03: Subsurface Circular [Switch]
14/03: Coffin Dodgers [Switch]
15/03: OPUS: The Day We Found Earth [Switch]
18/03: Tesla vs. Lovecraft [Switch]
22/03: Fear Effect Sedna [Switch]
23/03: Destiny 2 [PS4]
31/03: Devious Dungeon [Switch]
31/03: Warp Shift [Switch]
01/04: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap [Switch]
02/04: Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder Devastated [Switch]
09/04: Attack on Titan 2 [Switch]
11/04: The Bunker [Switch]
14/04: Streets of Red: Devil's Dare Deluxe [Switch]
16/04: Slayaway Camp: Butcher's Cut [Switch]
18/04: L.A. Noire [Switch]
23/04: Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition [Switch]
01/05: Saturday Morning RPG [Switch]
05/05: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze [Switch]
06/05: God of War (2018) [PS4]
13/05: Secret of Mana (2018) [PS4]
15/05: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle [Switch]
19/05: Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition [Switch]
22/05: Shadow of the Colossus (2018) [PS4]
25/05: Runner3 [Switch]
30/05: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Gold Edition [PS4]
06/06: PixelJunk Monsters 2 [Switch]

I was looking for a good tower defense videogame on Switch, and PixelJunk Monsters 2 delivered. It doesn't do anything particularly imaginative with the formula. I played as Tikiman, charged with protecting a hut full of helpless Chibis from waves of monsters that want to kill them for no clear reason. Tikiman can use coins and magic to transform trees into various types of towers to attack monsters as they trudge towards the Chibi's hut. Workhorse towers are cheap and easy to build. Specialized towers take more resources but are essential against some of the more intricate monster compositions. You know, standard tower defense stuff.

PixelJunk Monsters 2 asked a lot of me just to finish it. Progress to later levels are blocked by storm clouds which are dissipated with magic rainbow rocks earned by clearing a level without losing any Chibis. Accessing the final set of levels requires nine rainbow rocks total. With fifteen total levels, just finishing the videogame required a perfect rating on more than half its core levels. I am given a preview of the path the first wave will take before the level starts, but after that all bets are off. So simply beating the game required a lot of retries and rote memorization, not unreasonable when reaching for high scores and achievements, but demanding and grating for finishing the most rudimentary accomplishment the game offers.

PixelJunk Monsters 2 is gorgeous, characters having a glossy texture and a jerkiness to their movement that strongly resembles stop-motion animation. The levels feel like dioramas filled with tiny posable figures, especially when I could reach the high-ground and switch to Tikiman's over-the-shoulder perspective. Towers may be upgraded by standing motionless near them, so I had innumerable opportunities to watch the mayhem from this perspective and really admire the sumptuous art design on display.

Even feeling like PixelJunk Monsters 2 asked too much of me just to see the credits, I still have a lot to do. There are two more difficulties for each of the fifteen levels. I had a dev sit in on my first stream and he remarked that the highest difficulty level would destroy me; I have little reason not to believe him, since the default difficulty is laughably called "Fun" despite being quite demanding. There's also an online cooperative mode, but I was never able to connect with anyone to play it. Rewards are disabled in multiplayer, so I can't imagine why I would put time into it in the first place.

PixelJunk Monsters 2 is gorgeous and solidly constructed, but it doesn't offer anything interesting or new to Tower Defense videogames.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Suits wrote: June 6th, 2018, 6:42 pm
duskvstweak wrote: June 6th, 2018, 6:07 pm I finished Tales of Symphonia last night. I was surprised by it's length, considering it was a Gamecube game.
Ah, this has escaped me over the years also and is close to my current maybe pile of what to get into next.

How long would you say it took you to get through ??
It took me about 40 hours, getting lost and all. But, there's tons of side quests I'm sure I missed.