Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Stanshall »

That's right, Alex. Not sure whether you actually get the adapter with this new release of the pad but it's authentic, yep.
Suits

Post by Suits »

The GameCube pads are actually full on GameCube pads in every way, even down to the connections - making them exactly the same as the 2001 originals, as KSub says.

The way to use them on the Switch is via a Nintendo GameCube adapter, which connected to the consoles docking base via a USB.

It’s the exact save device that was used/needed to use GameCube pads on the Wii U.

The GameCube pad will actually work really well on other Switch games too, the most noteable one probably being Mario Tennis Aces.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Stanshall wrote: December 28th, 2018, 8:59 am That's right, Alex. Not sure whether you actually get the adapter with this new release of the pad but it's authentic, yep.
Ah thanks, I hadn't read that before editing my post haha.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I literally have no need of one, I have no muscle memory to call on and never owned a GameCube, and yet...

Hmm.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Oh man, the GameCube pad is right, right up there with one of the best feeling controllers ever made in my opinion.

It just feels so good, with unique triggers that fucnction again at full depress and a truely wonderful big A button, it’s just a pleasure to use.

Games like Pikmin, Metroid and Luigi’s Mansion are a step up when used with this pad.

Damn awful D-Pad though :lol: .
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

You're really not helping, Suits! :D
James

Post by James »

Spoiler: show
3rd Jan - Hidden Folks (Android)
13th Jan - Bleed 2 (PC)
13th Jan - Bleed (Xbox One)
14th Jan - The Sexy Brutale (Xbox One)
16th Jan - Scanner Sombre (PC)
17th Jan - Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4)
21st Jan - Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (Xbox One)
24th Feb - Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (RetroPie - PSX)
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite (Remastered) (Xbox One) [1999 Mode]
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 1 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
15th Mar - Actual Sunlight (Android)
18th Mar - BioShock (Remastered) (Xbox One)
19th Mar - BioShock (Remastered) (Xbox One) [Survivor Mode]
21st Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
23rd Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One) [1998 Mode]
26th Mar - BioShock 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
10th Apr - Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (Xbox One)
11th Apr - Blackwood Crossing (Xbox One)
24th Apr - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Xbox One)
27th Apr - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One)
3rd Jun - Dark Souls: Remastered (Xbox One)
9th Jun - Cuphead (Xbox One)
13th Jun - ABZU (Xbox One)
18th Jul - Hollow Knight (Switch)
6th Aug - Dark Souls II: Scholar Of The First Sin (Xbox One)
31st Aug - Hitman (Xbox One)
5th Sep - Hitman: Sniper Assassin (Xbox One)
11th Sep - Marvel's Spider-Man
9th Oct - Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One)
28th Oct - Marvel's Spider-Man: The Heist DLC (PS4)
4th Nov - Bloodborne: The Old Hunter's DLC (PS4)
4th Nov - Bloodborne (PS4)
11th Nov - LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Xbox One)
18th Nov - LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Xbox One)
2nd Dec - Spider-Man: Homecoming VR (PSVR)
2nd Dec - Kitchen (PSVR)
17th Dec - Hitman 2 (Xbox One)
23rd Dec - Gorogoa (Xbox One)

Somehow never got around to this on iOS, so decided to pick it up for £6 in the Xbox holiday sale. I was captivated throughout, by the puzzles, but also by how the puzzles, art, music, and transitions all come together into a stylish whole. The story in such a short puzzle game is still rattling around my head several days later, and I'm itching for a replay. Can't really say more for it than that.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: December 28th, 2018, 9:18 am Oh man, the GameCube pad is right, right up there with one of the best feeling controllers ever made in my opinion.

It just feels so good, with unique triggers that function again at full depress and a truely wonderful big A button, it’s just a pleasure to use.

Games like Pikmin, Metroid and Luigi’s Mansion are a step up when used with this pad.

Damn awful D-Pad though :lol: .
This man speaks the TRUTH.
I would also add SSB, Killer7 and all the RE onto that list.

It's a pretty idiosyncratic, asymmetrical controller that doesn't really have the same universal quality as the various DualShock and Xbox pads (it is notoriously useless for conventional shooters, for example), but it is an absolute pleasure to use on games that have been designed around it.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 28th, 2018, 12:24 pm This man speaks the TRUTH.
Are we all just going to forget about Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero GX?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Michiel K wrote: December 28th, 2018, 12:52 pm Are we all just going to forget about Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero GX?
ARGH, the shame! F-Zero, yes of course!! :oops:

Btw, if anybody wants one of those overpriced GameCube USB adapter, I have a spare one lying around.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Michiel K wrote: December 28th, 2018, 12:52 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: December 28th, 2018, 12:24 pm This man speaks the TRUTH.
Are we all just going to forget about Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero GX?
I mean, Nintendo has...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

You can’t really blame Nintendo for anything to do with Monkey Ball, that belongs to Sega.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Bastion
Detroit
Vanquish
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer
Alice: Madness Returns

July:
Prince of Persia
The Last Guardian
Syndicate
Binary Domain
Call of Duty Classic HD

August:
Cave story 3ds
Eternal Darkness
Luigis Mansion
Mickey’s castle of illusion
Super Mario Bros
Silent Hill 2 HD Collection
999: 9 persons, 9 doors...
Shenmue

September:
Shenmue 2
Half-life
super Mario Bros 2
Deadly Premonition

October:
Half Life 2
Half life 2:episode 1/2
Portal
System Shock
Alan Wake
Nier
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Star Fox
El Shaddai

November:
Zelda II
LA Noire
Streets of Rage Trilogy
Metro 2033
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner

December:
Silent Hill 3
Starfox 64 3DS
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Starcraft 2
StarFox Adventures
28/12
StarFox Assault

Now this is more like it. The on foot sections and ground vehicle sections aren’t great but they are quite easy so still enjoyable (Rare please take note). There’s also quite a lot of plot exposition and surprising moments plus a chance to revisit the world of Adventures even if it is a “flying” (haha) visit.

The space combat however was very exciting. The final mission ramped up the difficulty a lot and I got through with my last life and a slither of health. I’m not great at aerial combat games so played on easy but still offered enough challenge without being impossible. Very well balanced. Nice and compact too at about 3-4 hours only.

Given how much I enjoyed the single player I would have liked to have given the multiplayer a go. Anyone had a whirl on it?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

duskvstweak wrote: December 28th, 2018, 5:55 pm I mean, Nintendo has...
DOESN'T MEAN WE HAVE TO!!!

:oops:
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

10/02 - Final Fantasy II (PS Vita)
04/30 - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)
10/03 - Celeste (Switch)
10/03 - Monster Hunter World (PS4)
13/03 - Bioshock: Infinite - Burial at Sea Episode 2
17/03 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS Vita)
13/04 - Final Fantasy III (PS Vita)
23/04 - God of War (PS4)
02/05 - StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
13/05 - Into the Breach (PC)
17/05 - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
28/05 - Hollow Knight (PC)
01/06 - Axiom Verge (Switch)
03/06 - Zone of the Enders (PS3)
15/07 - Frostpunk (PC)
22/7 - Secret of Mana (Emulator)
13/08 - Final Fantasy V (Emulator)
09/09 - Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)
06/10 - Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (PC)
11/10 - Mega Man X (Switch)
20/10 - Final Fantasy VI (Emulator)
24/11 - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Wii U)
27/11 - Zone of the Enders 2: Second Runner (PS3)
01/12 - Florence (Android)
02/12 - Return of the Obra Dinn (PC)
08/12 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
20/12 - Tetris Effect (PS4)
29/12 - HITMAN 2 (PC)

Well..."completed." Will be playing this for awhile yet.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Scrustle wrote: December 27th, 2018, 5:26 pm And with that, I expect that is the last of the games I’m completing this year. The only other big thing from this year I’ve got on the go is Smash, which I only just started, and suspect I might never finish. This year was pretty mediocre for games generally. 2017 was a hard act to follow, so it makes sense that this year was something of a lull. But that said, there were a few stand-outs.

Monster Hunter World was my favourite of the year, with it being pretty much exactly what I wanted out of that series. It refreshed the game with a new attractive coat of paint, added in a bunch of much appreciated quality-of-life features, but didn’t take away from the depth and density of the game at all. It really sucked me in nearer the start of the year. It’s just a shame that I ended up burning out on it in some of the late-game stuff.

God of War was another highlight too of course. A game that I initially had no interest in, but then eventually came around on and was surprised how good it ended up being. In terms of narrative direction, it was exactly what it needed to be, and succeeded much better than I ever thought it would at that. Mechanically it was fun, but it felt like it was enjoyable in spite of itself, with its awkward control scheme. But how well they managed to make that work was pretty impressive in itself.

Yakuza 6 was excellent as well, but also felt like it took some questionable design decisions. The new combat system was a mixed bag of pros and cons, but was still very fun overall and should hopefully be improved a lot going forward. The plot was also really good, and one of the best and most memorable in the series so far. I also really liked how they turned around Takeshi Kitano’s character from being a bit bland for most of the game, to becoming something really compelling in the closing chapters. That was a nice surprise. In contrast I wasn’t so hot on Kiwami 2. Much like with Kiwami 1, it felt like kind of a mechanical rehash, with the new and old not fitting together that gracefully, and with a plot that has been surpassed by newer entries. But also like K1, being a bad Yakuza game still makes it a really good game in general. It also provided a few small improvements to 6’s combat as well.

CrossCode was another of my favourites. A game that I had very long been anticipating due to having backed the crowdfunding campaign many years ago. Unlike with Ghost of a Tale, this one turned out to be a big vindication. Turned out really well. It was a great game with lots of character, great combat, some interesting subversion of tropes, and a very impressive level of content for a game from such a small team. It’s a shame this game hasn’t caught more attention. It just hasn’t had the PR push it deserves, I suppose. Hopefully it will be able to do what Hollow Knight did and stir up some attention when it drops on PS4 at some point. In the meantime, go check it out! Don’t sleep on this one.

And lastly there’s Vampyr. Much like Darksiders this is another B-game that was relatively small in scope and polish, and didn’t really light up reviews. This one I do think has something special going for it. The mechanics of being a vampire and weighing up your moral choices of how you treat NPCs is fantastic. It does a great job of making you think of them as the character would, while also fleshing them all out and giving them depth. The atmosphere of the game is great too, and the soundtrack in particular was brilliant.

There are even more but I’ll try to keep this as brief honourable mentions and wrap this up now. I fell in love with A Hat in Time, so charming and cute, and with great mechanics. Snake Pass was incredibly interesting and very unique with its approach to platforming. Omensight was a pretty good follow-up to Stories: Path of Destinies that does interesting stuff with narrative. The Vagrant was a surprisingly good homage to Vanillaware’s work, and great value for money. Zone of the Enders 2 was great to revisit on the PS4 with a solid frame rate and helpful mechanical tweaks. Figment was a touching and gorgeous little game that used dynamic music in very clever ways. AER was a nice relaxing experience that worked well as a palette cleanser. Forza Horizon 4 was another good entry in the series that moved things forward more than they have done in a while. Killer7 was a wild ride that I’m glad I finally got to experience. Deus Ex: The Fall is nowhere near as bad as it’s made out to be. Way of the Samurai 4 is weird and bonkers and shoddy and intriguing. Platinum’s games are still fantastic. DMC4 is still fantastic. Darksiders 1 and 2 are still fantastic. Splatoon 2 is still fantastic.

(Holy shit that's more than 2800 words!!!)
I haven't completed any games recently, but just to get down some kind of end-of-year thing:

I too liked Monster Hunter World - not enough to finish it, but the environment and monster animations were special and it held my attention for much longer than I expected. Minit was a fantastic, less-is-more, RPG that delighted for its wit and short length. Out of the Park Baseball is perenially excellent (to the point of being a GOTY contender every year). I became incredibly engaged with Spintires, to the exclusion of all else while I chased down its challenges. Phantom Doctrine was tough but interesting (for its marriage of Cold War setting and Xcom-like gameplay). Tetris Effect and Astrobot were lovely.

My top three in reverse order were:

3. Banner Saga 3 - This introduced enough variation for the final installment that it turned out quite well. Stoic wrapped up the saga in a competent and engaging manner, without losing impetus, which is an admirable feat for the third game in the series. I was initially disappointed that the ending felt abrupt, but was left wanting more.

2. Vampyr - great atmosphere, challenging (boss) combat which insisted you used all the tricks at your disposal, a fresh approach to the vampire myth, and lots and lots of talking made this an intriguing and unique action-rpg.

1. Unexpectedly, Prey Mooncrash was my game of the year from the moment I finished it, and nothing else came close to dislodging it for the rest of the year. It was the perfect fusion of iterative and goal-oriented gameplay, and it seems that my tastes are heading towards that same, "here is your goal and here are your tools", type gameplay (see also, Subnautica, MHW, Star Traders Frontiers, Phantom Doctrine, Spintires). Nota bene: last year my GOTY was, also unexpectedly, Prey itself. :D
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Bastion
Detroit
Vanquish
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer
Alice: Madness Returns

July:
Prince of Persia
The Last Guardian
Syndicate
Binary Domain
Call of Duty Classic HD

August:
Cave story 3ds
Eternal Darkness
Luigis Mansion
Mickey’s castle of illusion
Super Mario Bros
Silent Hill 2 HD Collection
999: 9 persons, 9 doors...
Shenmue

September:
Shenmue 2
Half-life
super Mario Bros 2
Deadly Premonition

October:
Half Life 2
Half life 2:episode 1/2
Portal
System Shock
Alan Wake
Nier
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Star Fox
El Shaddai

November:
Zelda II
LA Noire
Streets of Rage Trilogy
Metro 2033
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner

December:
Silent Hill 3
Starfox 64 3DS
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Starcraft 2
StarFox Adventures
StarFox Assault
29/12

Psychonauts

Pretty sure this is me done for 2018. A combination of late nights with a newborn, annual leave that I couldn’t carry over and my wife getting early nights (with said baby)has given me more hours playing than I can remember in recent years.

I was keen to replay this before having a go at the VR title and the upcoming sequel. It’s definitely a mixed bag. Much like Brutal legend the characters and wacky vibe are the stars of the show. The actual gameplay is frustrating and hasn’t aged well but doesn’t detract too much. I don’t remember consulting a guide first time around but this time I genuinely was stumped on more than one occasion due to the game failing to signpost or inform me of a mechanic adequately. Still I had a nice time chipping away at it in short bursts over the last month or two.

Overall highlights for me this year were probably Nier and Hellblade. Hoping to dive into Automata in 2019.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: December 29th, 2018, 7:20 pm 1. Unexpectedly, Prey Mooncrash was my game of the year
Hey mate, quick question if you don't mind. :)

Is it possible to jump straight into Mooncrash without playing the Prey main game first? And if so, is that something that you would recommend in terms of story / mechanical progression? I ask because your enthusiasm and vague descriptions of its more unique elements is making me curious even though I don't really fancy playing through yet another full-fledged campaign of that sort any time soon.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yes, it is 100% possible to play as a stand-alone with no major impact from missing the main game. The story runs in parallel with the main game, but there are no dependencies and minimal overlap. I’d estimate that playing Prey first adds less than 1% to the experience, and that’s just in nods to the story and your familiarity with the weapons etc. You should be able to figure out that side of things :)

Really intrigued to see how you feel about it, hope you have fun!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

30-12 The Order: 1886 (PlayStation 4)

Unlike so many games I pop in these days just to get a taster, before putting a full playthrough on hold, I decided to persist with this one, because I heard it's not too long and because it felt oddly right for the season.

I have to say that, save for the weird blueish hue in the deepest darkest shadows, it's a graphical knockout, still. It comes closer to photorealism than most other games I've played.

So the design and play mechanics are fairly standard and walking upon a new combat arena that fills up with yet another wave of enemies that more or less force you into a tried and true stop 'n pop, duck 'n cover scenario gets predictably stale and is only saved by some of the fun weapons that disrupt this general flow (mainly thinking about the thermite gun).

But I'm quite surprised at the raw critical deal this game got, especially when compared to game series like Uncharted that are guilty of all the same trappings, save maybe for the shorter length and perhaps characters that are less 'likeable' to a lot of people, I suppose.

Funnily enough, the length is just about right for me, as I wouldn't have appreciated the game to have dragged on for much longer. It doesn't outstay its welcome, I guess you could say. Maybe I would have felt different about this, if it wasn't gifted to me by the generous mr. Karl Moon? :)

As a final note, I also think the visual design of the alternate history universe they've created is top notch, despite the setting having been put together in an everything-and-the-kitchen sink type of fashion (Arthurian legend, werewolves, Nikola Tesla, Jack the Ripper).

So yeah, kind of liked and appreciated parts of this game, especially the visuals. I didn't love it, but I don't think its committing graver sins than other guided third person shooty, cinematic action games of its ilk.

Now I'm going to listen to the CaR podcast ep on it.