E3 2018 - Conference times and general chat

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: E3 2018 - Conference times and general chat

Post by Stanshall »

Never played a single Pokémon title but I can't even imagine how many Switches this will sell, and a 'proper' game coming next year to nip the whining in the bud. Between this and Smash, I think the Switch is going to go nuclear.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: May 29th, 2018, 12:51 pm Probably my highest entry on my wish list would be a Metroid Prime collection on Switch.
I hate to harp on about this but I really think you're setting yourself up for disappointment on this one, mate. :|

We talked about this last year (I don't know if you remember?), but the main issue will always be the controls. I can't imagine Nintendo unleashing the original GameCube tank controls onto modern audiences (which Corruption was never designed around, anyway), and the Switch's gyro controls can't emulate the Wii's movement controls, especially not the pointer.

The only two possibilities I could think of would be to either release some kind of Wiimote adapter for Switch (incl. sensor bar), which would make portable functionality extraordinarily cumbersome, or to remake all three games from scratch. Which probably doesn't seem like a particularly attractive business venture from Nintendo's perspective, considering how Metroid is ultimately a rather niche franchise. How many kids do you think are lining up to dive headfirst into Echoes? Between the NGC, Wii & WiiU, I think that series has already reached its (elderly) target audience.

Some games are just designed around a particular interface and mechanical setup. It's not just a random feature you can replace at the last minute. Same reason we'll probably never see Super Mario Galaxy on Switch either.

Of course, I would love to be proven wrong on this one. A full-blown HD remake that respects the original trilogy sounds like a dream come true and I would like nothing more than to get my grubby mitts on that. But perhaps don't bet the house on it...?
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 4th, 2018, 9:32 am Of course, I would love to be proven wrong on this one. A full-blown HD remake that respects the original trilogy sounds like a dream come true and I would like nothing more than to get my grubby mitts on that. But perhaps don't bet the house on it...?
Yes, all of your points are valid, however - it's still top of my list :lol: .

I don't know, there's some clever people at Nintendo, they managed to fiddle with the Pikmin controls to make it playable with a Wii mote, albeit engineered forward in a sense, so maybe they can reverse engineer it work with Metroid.

Or just give us Prime and Echoes, if it's easier.

I think the audience is ripe for a taste of Metroid, with the upcoming 4 (2019 I fully expect) and the success of 2 last year on the 3DS I want something to happen.

If they put 2 on the Switch that would be something, not personally for me so soon after the 3DS version but more people need to play that remake I think. Wonderful.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: June 4th, 2018, 10:48 am I think the audience is ripe for a taste of Metroid, with the upcoming 4 (2019 I fully expect) and the success of 2 last year on the 3DS I want something to happen.
Yeah, me too. I would love to see a proper Metroid presence on Switch, if only to generate sufficient interest ahead of Prime 4. I just can't get past the various technicalities, you know? Forward engineering Pikmin or RE4 on Wii isn't a big deal, considering how it's just a matter of adding functionality while the original game code is laying intact underneath. But backward engineering that removes functionality the entire game is built around? I'm obviously just a layman, but I can't see it whatsoever.

I hereby swear to own up to my cynicism in case I end up being proven wrong! :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I don't think it would mean an extraordinary amount of work to utilise similar controls to the original GC version though would it?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Some of us have sat and watched these together using Skype in last years, but I wonder if a Discord might be a better way to do it this year? I can chat by typing just as fast as I can by speaking, and it’d eliminate the horror that is the feedback caused by 6 people all watching the same stream slightly out of sync coming over their Skype call :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 4th, 2018, 11:34 am I don't think it would mean an extraordinary amount of work to utilise similar controls to the original GC version though would it?
Well, the most important thing is that Corruption was never designed around controller support and has quite a lot of elements that make extensive use of the motion features.

The second point is that the GameCube versions of Prime 1 and 2 use tank controls. Much like the original Doom, you turn using the left stick and can only strafe when locked on. I don't see how they could just patch in standardized dual analogue controls without rebuilding the entire game from the ground up. It's not just a matter of toggling the option on or off in the menu screen or even just brute forcing it like in REmake HD. And a significant portion of players won't even look at tank controls nowadays.

Maybe it's because I replayed these games last year and their underlying structure is still fresh in my mind, but it's clear to me that these games are not dual analogue FPSs and that their original control scheme would probably end up being sales poison.

I suggest whoever is interested to just pop GC Prime in and figure out a solution, because I can't think of one.

Scrustle wrote: May 29th, 2018, 12:27 pm There's been lots of rumours over a long span of time that DMC5 is supposed to show up at this E3. Certain things seem to point that happening too, so it seems likely. I'm still trying to keep my expectations in check, since you never really know with these kinds of things, and Capcom has a knack for disappointing when it comes to stuff like this. That said, please be real, please be real, please be real!
Capcom just registered DMC5 domain!

Hype? Hype!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Good points, and you are of course quite correct about MP3.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 4th, 2018, 11:43 am
Capcom just registered DMC5 domain!

Hype? Hype!
I was thinking about posting this. The hype is real! It's happening!!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

But does this Dantay hav white har or brun har? (Now there’s a reference none of you will get)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Do we have a separate predictions/wishlist thread? If not, I'll post mine here:

Wishlist:

Remastered Mass Effect Trilogy (slim chance?)
Remastered Crysis Trilogy (very slim chance)
New Sony handheld (slimmest chance)
PUBG for PS4 (decent chance?)
Elder Scrolls VI (semi-decent chance?)
Cyberpunk release date (semi-decent chance)
Death Stranding release date (no chance...)
Suits

Post by Suits »

I would certainly expect PUBG to come to PS4 by the end of the year - thinking about it.

The MS deal was always a timed thing, so a year is a fair bet to when that deal expires.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Apologies if this is already common knowledge, but do we know what the "various Nintendo events leading up to E3" are going to be and when they are supposed to take place?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Nope.

Also sounds like Sony are going to be doing an announcement once per day every day from tomorrow leading up to their press event.

It seems more and more publishers are tired of trying to compete for attention in the tiny window of the show week itself and are moving their announcements further and further forward.

I can see the show, or at least the public facing press part of it, dying off again entirely. There are just better ways to talk to consumers now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: June 5th, 2018, 2:57 pm I can see the show, or at least the public facing press part of it, dying off again entirely. There are just better ways to talk to consumers now.
Yeah I guess that's true, but I would be really disappointed to see the press conferences go altogether. It's an event, it's something the gaming world looks forward to every year, and I think it's a real shame that this year is effectively being slowly spoiled, day by day, by the very games companies themselves.

There's going to be very little point Mat Murray sitting out E3 at all at this rate.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

I wonder if we'll see a new Final Fantasy teased, the timing seems right but they do have a lot of other projects on and I suspect either E3 or the weeks following we'll see a tease for the next expansion of FFXIV also.

I'd also like to see a sequel to Prey announced and an update on the future of Deus Ex. I don't know if these things are likely but that's what I'd like.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think we’re getting at least a story dlc for prey. They’ve been teasing something anyway, adding some weird new achievements to the steam release of it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Looks like a fake to me. The title of the very first game is wrong for a start.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

I agree that fake is likely but I can't see the mistake in the title and now it's actually bothering me...