Detroit: Become Human

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
rob25X

Detroit: Become Human

Post by rob25X »

Ok, I've been waiting for and following this game ever since that Kara trailer thingy appeared on YouTube many years ago.

I'm a huge fan of David Cage and his work and Heavy Rain is possibly the most memorable game I've ever played (maybe because my child died not long before).

Has anyone pre-ordered the game or planning to pick it up this Friday?

I sold my PS4 and I'm now thinking of picking up another one just to play Detroit as soon as possible.

Any opinions on the demo or first impressions of the game or whatever would make interesting reading.

Is it the best game on PS4? 'Game of the generation'? What do we think? :)
kintaris

Re: Detroit: Become Human

Post by kintaris »

So I would never normally pre-order a Quantic Dream title as I've not had the best time with several Cage games. However I'm looking at a new... financial venture / job of sorts where I might need to pick up more PS4 exclusives at launch and basically play them immediately.

I played the demo and actually I quite enjoyed it. I know a lot of people find QD's control systems unnecessarily obtuse and I'd normally agree, but it had a decent flow and logic to it this time around. It looked visually flawless and I liked the seeming time restriction on the way things play out - take too long on stuff or rush through without investigating every detail and people will get hurt.

Dialogue still seemed a little hammy for my tastes but maybe that was just the scene I played.

I'm not sure about the decision flowchart if it actually appears at the end of every sequence in the main game. Ironically it really broke the flow for me. I like decisions to feel permanent, at least for the course of one playthrough, and bringing the lights up after every sequence to coldly interrogate how things might have been different just disconnected me from the emotional impact. I wonder if it will be possible to switch that off, though I suppose I can just skip through it as quickly as possible.

I don't think it's going to be a Game of the generation, I think there will be holes and stumbling blocks that come with the QD territory. Although there have been some polishing improvements the demo still felt very QD and thus I would assume the game overall will play out in a similar fashion and perhaps fumble the ball at the same points.

However I want to stay positive so fingers crossed this is the Cage game that manages to deliver on more levels than usual.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

kintaris wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 11:17 pm So I would never normally pre-order a Quantic Dream title as I've not had the best time with several Cage games. However I'm looking at a new... financial venture / job of sorts where I might need to pick up more PS4 exclusives at launch and basically play them immediately.

I played the demo and actually I quite enjoyed it. I know a lot of people find QD's control systems unnecessarily obtuse and I'd normally agree, but it had a decent flow and logic to it this time around. It looked visually flawless and I liked the seeming time restriction on the way things play out - take too long on stuff or rush through without investigating every detail and people will get hurt.

Dialogue still seemed a little hammy for my tastes but maybe that was just the scene I played.

I'm not sure about the decision flowchart if it actually appears at the end of every sequence in the main game. Ironically it really broke the flow for me. I like decisions to feel permanent, at least for the course of one playthrough, and bringing the lights up after every sequence to coldly interrogate how things might have been different just disconnected me from the emotional impact. I wonder if it will be possible to switch that off, though I suppose I can just skip through it as quickly as possible.

I don't think it's going to be a Game of the generation, I think there will be holes and stumbling blocks that come with the QD territory. Although there have been some polishing improvements the demo still felt very QD and thus I would assume the game overall will play out in a similar fashion and perhaps fumble the ball at the same points.

However I want to stay positive so fingers crossed this is the Cage game that manages to deliver on more levels than usual.
Thanks for the response. If I had a PS4 I would have played the demo as soon as it became available. I'm not usually one for demos but in this case I think I could make an exception.

It sounds like it feels very much like Heavy Rain then. What is the demo exactly? Is it the rooftop scene (Connor) with the girl taken hostage? I've tried to avoid watching any demo playthroughs in case I got a PS4 again before launch.

The flowchart is very interesing. We will see how 'personal' the game actually turns out in the end. QD said every player will have a unique experience with the game by the end based on their choices but just how deep this goes we will soon find out. If it beats Heavy Rain's 18 (is that correct?) possible endings it will surely be amazing and well worth replaying.

I haven't been so excited about a launch day since Shenmue on the Dreamcast and the PlayStation2!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, I’m picking it up on Friday. I think QD has improved with every game, so, my fingers are crossed that the trend continues with this game. I will say I really liked the demo a lot, so, I’m feeling pretty good about it. Just hope the final product manages to follow through with good execution all the way to the end.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

rob25X wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 12:40 am It sounds like it feels very much like Heavy Rain then. What is the demo exactly? Is it the rooftop scene (Connor) with the girl taken hostage?
Yes and yes. It feels like Heavy Rain particularly because there's a strong investigative element using near-future tech. And yeah, you play through the entire hostage sequence through to its conclusion and several possible outcomes

I haven't seen anything apart from the demo and last year's E3 trailer so I'm quite in the dark myself. A good way to go into many games I think.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I don’t plan to let it within a mile of my console, but you probably already knew that :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'll be getting it but I'm away this weekend so won't start it immediately. I'm just hoping for a decent game. I'm going to go into it blind, no reviews etc, so I'll be maintaining radio silence on the game for the next week or two. :)
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Picking up my preorder on the way home from work today. I'm super psyched. I understand people dislike Heavy Rain and find that it has too many flaws for them to enjoy. That's fair and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Call it a guilty pleasure or an over eager suspension of disbelief but I love Heavy Rain. One of my favorites from the PS3.

I never got around to playing Beyond but I own it and I'll get around to it eventually. I just finished God of War and gave nothing else to play so I'll be tearing into Detroit all weekend!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I just walked across the road to the Game opposite my workplace and picked it up just now. I hate spoilers so I had to get it
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Starting it now....
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Me too!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m enjoying the flowchart element although none of my friends seem to be playing.

If anyone wants to add me my username is: fatboyslothsime

(It’s a teenage nickname)
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Nice to see others excited about the release.

Unfortunately I can't afford to buy another PS4 and the game right but I will be getting it as soon as I can.

I checked the reviews this morning and as expected many were just going to hate Cage's work regardless but gamers who have actually played it seem quite impressed. The Metacritic user score is 8.8 which is pretty good.

I really hope the game does as well as it deserves to.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

From what I understand it’s a better game than the previous ones, but if you have any knowledge of the subject matter it’s dealing with it comes across as very clumsy.

Basically, if you think Cage is a terrible writer who has no business trying to do something that needs nuance, you’re not going to have your mind changed by this one.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I played the demo and thought it was OK. I think this'll likely be a sub ten pounds sale purchase or a PS Plusser for me. I genuinely like David Cage's games, but oddly the idea of replaying Heavy Rain seems more appealing to me at the moment than playing this. I'm not sure what the overarching storyline in this game is, but from the bits I've picked up it just doesn't seem as interesting as the murder mystery plot or supernatural elements of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls, respectively.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I like it a lot, more than heavy rain or beyond. That being said, its definitely a quantic dream game, with all the negative stuff that comes with that.

Incidentally, there's an opportunity where
Spoiler: show
you get a chance to play a piano, and you play the heavy rain theme on it.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Alex79uk wrote: May 26th, 2018, 10:58 am I played the demo and thought it was OK. I think this'll likely be a sub ten pounds sale purchase or a PS Plusser for me. I genuinely like David Cage's games, but oddly the idea of replaying Heavy Rain seems more appealing to me at the moment than playing this. I'm not sure what the overarching storyline in this game is, but from the bits I've picked up it just doesn't seem as interesting as the murder mystery plot or supernatural elements of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls, respectively.
I've only played the opening 3 hours or so but it don't find it as instantly engaging as Heavy Rain. I find 2 of the protagonists don't offer much in the way of personality, that is to say that they generally feel like the same character. Conner's personality is unique to the other 2 but not particularly engaging either. I'm sure I'll get more invested and the characters will flesh out as time goes on. I am only in the opening bits but I agree. Heavy Rain had a more clear tone and grabbed my attention more initially. I also agree with other comments here that the handling of the subject matter is quite heavy handed and everything's spelled out. It'd be nice to have a bit more subtlety and more inferred themes like Blade Runner 2049. Sure that leaves more things open to interpretation but feels more like you're analyzing a situation instead of being "talked at."
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I think its the faces. The faces still look strange.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

So far I think it’s superior to beyond and heavy rain. The interface is better and I genuinely found the opening exhilarating.

I rarely buy games on release anymore but I’m so glad that I bought this. It does feel very much like heavy rain in its design.

I don’t mind the writing. The characters are definitely Hollywood cookie cutter archetypes though.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The most engaging character and scenes so far have been with Kara, then Connor (or Conner?) then Marcus.